University of St. Augustine???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
KatyK:

I have an interview at Saint Augustine on February 17th. Hope to see you there. If I recall, somebody said they ask questions related to the field of PT: POPTS, direct access, Vision 2020, etc.

Kevin

Members don't see this ad.

KatyK:

I have an interview at Saint Augustine on February 17th. Hope to see you there. If I recall, somebody said they ask questions related to the field of PT: POPTS, direct access, Vision 2020, etc.

Kevin

Kev,

Good luck on your interview. They didn't ask me any questions about the 'pressing' matters in PT. It's soley dependent on your interviewer, but you will be much more confident speaking about PT if you've researched those topics.

Well, here's hoping that the bomb explodes and you are invited to attend the program! Wishing you all the beat at your interview. I am starting their FLEX program in January. I am excited and scared as H*#L . . . all at the same time!! :)

HI,
I found you on this forum while I was trying to find someone who would be currently in the Flex DPT program. I have been admitted to start in the Spring 2013 and would love to talk to someone who is already in the program. I can giveyou my email address if you think you might be able to provide me with some insight about the program.

Thank you
Claudia:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview for the MOT program on friday in st augustine, can anybody hook me up with what their essay question was?

How do you plan to deal with the stress of graduate school? That was my question.

Kevin

Stats:

Cumm GPA: 2.96
Pre Req GPA: 3.45
GRE: V-390 M-620 AW-4.0
PT observation hours: 185

Hi lknight, I was wondering what schools were you accepted to because your stats look pretty similar to mine as well!

Hey mackaroo,
Did you get into the Fall Term? Im in the same"shoe",got wait listed for the Summer and hoping to get into the Fall,but I heard it is the most competitive cycle!

I went to an interview last year for USA in San Diego and it was an awful experience. When I asked how I should prepare, they told me to just come relaxed because it wasn't really an "interview" just a conversation with professors and other applicants about the program and my expectations/questions and that it would be very informal. NOT THE CASE AT ALL. The professor who interviewed me was awful and intimidating and and mean. I was put in with a 21 year old fresh out of college who was talking about stuff he did in high school. Seriously dude? Get your nose out of the books and get some life experience and then apply. The other "professional from the community" who was interviewing us couldn't speak English so neither of us could understand what she was asking. It was not a pleasant experience. After speaking with some of the current students and hearing how awful the program was(yes, the current students were talking smack about the program AT the interview session- it is accelerated so you eat, breathe, sleep PT 24/7 and they hated it) I decided not to go there. I re-applied to some other schools this year. Schools that actually do research (USA does not) and care about evidence-based practice and producing QUALITY PT's not 75 graduates/year for $100K. I'm sorry to anyone who goes there, but USA is a joke. All they care about is money and you can't even get government loans. I know a lot of ppl who have ended up dropping out of there. Choose wisely... ;)

i'm gonna go ahead and guess that you didn't get accepted...

SALTY!!!

I went to an interview last year for USA in San Diego and it was an awful experience. When I asked how I should prepare, they told me to just come relaxed because it wasn't really an "interview" just a conversation with professors and other applicants about the program and my expectations/questions and that it would be very informal. NOT THE CASE AT ALL. The professor who interviewed me was awful and intimidating and and mean. I was put in with a 21 year old fresh out of college who was talking about stuff he did in high school. Seriously dude? Get your nose out of the books and get some life experience and then apply. The other "professional from the community" who was interviewing us couldn't speak English so neither of us could understand what she was asking. It was not a pleasant experience. After speaking with some of the current students and hearing how awful the program was(yes, the current students were talking smack about the program AT the interview session- it is accelerated so you eat, breathe, sleep PT 24/7 and they hated it) I decided not to go there. I re-applied to some other schools this year. Schools that actually do research (USA does not) and care about evidence-based practice and producing QUALITY PT's not 75 graduates/year for $100K. I'm sorry to anyone who goes there, but USA is a joke. All they care about is money and you can't even get government loans. I know a lot of ppl who have ended up dropping out of there. Choose wisely... ;)

St. Augustine practices what is ACTUALLY working in clinics. A lot of times research is behind what is applicable in the clinic. That being said, I would rather go to a program that is going to make me a damn good clinician in USA.

Secondly, the interview process I attended was exactly what they said it was going to be. It was literally a conversation with a student and a professor which were both more than helpful and honest in answering any and all of my questions.

Anywhere you go for PT School you are going to eat and sleep physical therapy content.

I'm sorry your experience at USA was so miserable. I'm also sorry that other students were "talking smack" about their own school. I imagine they were frustrated, because some times it does feel like you do nothing but study PT and you have no time for anything else. At the end of the program, however, they're going to be thankful they don't have to pay another year to live here, and that they're practicing as PTs one year earlier.

Contrary to what you say, USA does produce competent PTs, ones that are critical consumers of evidence-based practice. We don't produce much research here. Not every school does. If you want to do research, go to a school that does produce research. Just because a school doesn't produce research does not mean it's a poor program. What exactly do you think we learn here? And tuition is not $100k. Do your research. It's $11k x seven trimesters, at least in FL.

Each class is 75-80 students, and maybe two or three drop out at some point.

Kevin

I actually did get accepted and I turned it down for all of the reasons I mentioned above. The admissions counselors were extremely nice to me throughout the whole process; however, when I spoke with the actual admissions director, he was a complete ass on the phone even though he was the one who emailed me to call him. I think it's funny that they advertise all about San Diego. USA is not in San Diego. It's 45 min north of San Diego in ghetto San Marcos. Everyone obviously has their differing opinions about every school and the people who replied to this are going to stick up for their school. That's fine. I'm not salty, I'm just very disappointed because USA was one of my top choices. I honestly don't think it matters where you get your DPT. If it's accredited then the curriculum is very similar to every other accredited school. It has to be. And yes, I have worked as a research manager for the past 4 years and already went to graduate school so therefore I am very interested in research as I've seen firsthand how important it is to the growth and advancement of any healthcare field. I want to actually contribute to the advancement of the field of physical therapy as opposed to just "working" as a PT the rest of my life. That is my own personal decision and there is nothing wrong with not wanting to do research. Regardless of how "far behind" research is compared to clinical practice, how exactly do you think physical therapy got to where it is today? Research. I didn't realize people were so mean on this website. I guess I will go elsewhere to ask questions about PT school.
Good luck to you all.

What is the typical class size at each location and how many people apply in total to each location? Thanks for the help!

have been wanting to be an OT for ten years but I have not gone because of the loans. Does anyone have any advice about whether this wAs the right decision?