University of St Augustine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustPassin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pre req GPA : 3.3
Under Grad: 3.5

Currently doing well in all classes but CHEM II seems to be impossible! This is most likely going to hurt my GPA. What does it take to get into a prestigious Pt School Such as St Augustine?

Thanks in advance

any additional advice welcomed

Members don't see this ad.

The minimum requirements, great essays, and a great interview! If you make an impression you'll get in.

The minimum requirements, great essays, and a great interview! If you make an impression you'll get in.

Thanks for the optimism. Anyone here get into St Augustine? What was your GPA and GRE?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the optimism. Anyone here get into St Augustine? What was your GPA and GRE?

I went to USA, and I am being optimistic. It is not one of the schools that solely relies on your GPA, GRE scores, etc. They really look at each person as a whole and the better job you do showing your personality, intelligence, and compassion about the profession, the better chance you have of getting an interview.

I think I had a 3.25 GPA (about 3.4 or 3.5 pre-req) and I scored 1050 on my GREs. So I was extremely nervous about getting into any of the PT schools; however I wrote great essays, then made a really great connection w/ the professor during the interview and got accepted. There were plenty of people that had much better credentials that didn't get accepted.

I went to USA, and I am being optimistic. It is not one of the schools that solely relies on your GPA, GRE scores, etc. They really look at each person as a whole and the better job you do showing your personality, intelligence, and compassion about the profession, the better chance you have of getting an interview.

I think I had a 3.25 GPA (about 3.4 or 3.5 pre-req) and I scored 1050 on my GREs. So I was extremely nervous about getting into any of the PT schools; however I wrote great essays, then made a really great connection w/ the professor during the interview and got accepted. There were plenty of people that had much better credentials that didn't get accepted.

Hope you don't think I was being sarcastic, because I wasn't I really do appreciate it. Great story as well, I feel pretty confident in everything else, but this Chem class is really taking it's toll on me and getting me down about everything. Guess i need to just suck it up.

I'm one of those weirdos who thought I wanted to do pharmacy so I majored in biochemistry but am now going to PT school. I would tutor you if you were in Tallahassee FL :thumbup:. I tutored chem I and II BUT I'm pretty sure you're not in Tally. For some solid advice, don't over-think chemistry; it's really not THAT tough it just seems that way. When I initially took it it was tough to get that A but it can happen. Try to go to any possible help session they give or make friends with some of the smart kids in the class. I think I was able to get through all of my chem classes because I had a network of friends that helped each other. That will continue in PT school I'm sure.

I'm one of those weirdos who thought I wanted to do pharmacy so I majored in biochemistry but am now going to PT school. I would tutor you if you were in Tallahassee FL :thumbup:. I tutored chem I and II BUT I'm pretty sure you're not in Tally. For some solid advice, don't over-think chemistry; it's really not THAT tough it just seems that way. When I initially took it it was tough to get that A but it can happen. Try to go to any possible help session they give or make friends with some of the smart kids in the class. I think I was able to get through all of my chem classes because I had a network of friends that helped each other. That will continue in PT school I'm sure.

Seminole, I really appreciate that! But, your right, I do not live in Tally. i have been tearing up the Youtube videos lately and that has really helped. break it down for the "Chemistic" :D individual.

Test tomorrow

keep your head up 'justpassin'

got accepted to St Augustine for the fall
undergrad: 2.84
upperdiv: 3.4
pre-req: ~3.4-3.5
GRE: 1110

like rcheeley said, make sure you have a great essay and a great interview. i felt my interview with the professor and senior student went great. probably best interview out of the schools i've applied to, although each one of them asked me and my interview partner about 8-10 interview questions each. be personable and honest with them during the interview with your responses.

as far as chem II goes, i know how you feel. i'm actually taking chem II right now during the summer. luckily for me, USA accepted me contingent upon me passing chem II (luckily all I need is a 'C' due to acceptance). but i still have an A in the class at the moment. one thing that's working for me right now in this class is study partners. met some friends in class/lab and formed a study group with about 5-6 classmates. trust me, that'll help cause you can ask each other questions without feeling intimidated by the professor.

good luck!

I'm interested in St. Augustine too, their application process is different from some of the other schools I've looked into.

Does anyone know if you need actual letters of recommendation or just those sheets they've given, and how do you go about getting those filled out and sent?

I'm interested in St. Augustine too, their application process is different from some of the other schools I've looked into.

Does anyone know if you need actual letters of recommendation or just those sheets they've given, and how do you go about getting those filled out and sent?

When I applied (2004) you need those sheets w/ the letters. Directions are spelled out in the application process.

i was just wondering what you guys did or how you sent the letter of recommendation? do you send all the sealed and signed envelopes in the application packet?

keep your head up 'justpassin'

got accepted to St Augustine for the fall
undergrad: 2.84
upperdiv: 3.4
pre-req: ~3.4-3.5
GRE: 1110

like rcheeley said, make sure you have a great essay and a great interview. i felt my interview with the professor and senior student went great. probably best interview out of the schools i've applied to, although each one of them asked me and my interview partner about 8-10 interview questions each. be personable and honest with them during the interview with your responses.

as far as chem II goes, i know how you feel. i'm actually taking chem II right now during the summer. luckily for me, USA accepted me contingent upon me passing chem II (luckily all I need is a 'C' due to acceptance). but i still have an A in the class at the moment. one thing that's working for me right now in this class is study partners. met some friends in class/lab and formed a study group with about 5-6 classmates. trust me, that'll help cause you can ask each other questions without feeling intimidated by the professor.

good luck!

Hey,
Since you got in University of St Augustine, would you please share how your interview experience was? Can you give me some light about what kinds of questions they asked you? Actually my stats are quite similar to you, so I was just wondering what kinds of questions they asked? Did they ask why was your GPA ....? or Did they ask why you want to become a PT? Can you please share some of the questions that they asked? Your reply will be greatly appreciated.
~Kshipra

ohh man, i just had this looong post typed up about the interview and accidentally closed the window. i'll try to remember what i typed in the first one.

interview for me went great. it was the best interview i've had with any school, job, etc.

the first part of the interview day, after orientation, is sitting down in a room with all the other PT/OT candidates and writing an essay in 45 minutes, handwritten, on a PT related topic. my topic was 'what 3 qualities about you would make you a good PT', something along the lines of that.

afterwards the group is split into half; one half doing interviews and one half going on campus tour.

interview itself consisted of me, another PT candidate, and 2 panelists: one faculty member/professor and a senior student (in my case). the interviewers asked about 5-8 questions each to both of us, making about 10-15 questions i believe. some of the questions were subquestions after you answered their first question.

some of the questions i remember were:
- why do you want to be a PT?
- why our program over other programs?
- vision 2020, more specifically what is your take on direct access?
- if you were placed in a study group/project group, would you be the leader or the follower and why?
- subquestion was: what if someone else wanted to be the leader, how would you go about it. second subquestion was: what if as a leader you wanted to approach a problem a certain way and you believed that was the correct way but everyone else in your group disagreed, how would you deal with the situation?
- if you were a licensed PT and noticed a fellow coworker/PT across the clinic treating a patient incorrectly, would you approach them right away or wait until the PT was done treating the patient?
- what was the toughest/most challenging thing you observed while volunteering or working in a PT clinic?
- what is going to be the most challenging thing from transitioning from working full-time to being a full-time student again? (worked full-time in a PT clinic 2 years)
- what do you like to do for fun outside of school/PT-related, such as sports, hobbies, etc.? how do you deal with stress?
- tell me about your time management skills

those were most of the questions i remember and of course, St Augustine is known for their 'off-the-wall' questions...
my interview partners was - if you could be a cereal brand, what would it be and why?
my question was - if you could be a car brand, what would it be and why?

good luck to all of you that are applying/applied to St Augustine! just remember to be honest and personal with your responses, including experiences you encountered while working/volunteering/taking classes!

hope this helps!

Hey,
Just some more questions. When did you send in your application for University of St Augustine if you applied for the fall? And when did you get the call or email for your interview? And after the interview, after how many days did they get back to you that you got accepted? Did they call or email you that you got accepted? I have heard that if you get waitlisted or placed on alternate list after your interview, you are guaranteed admission in the next following semester and you don't have to fill out an application again or do the interview again. Is this true? And about the interview, did they ask about your undergraduate gpa why it was what it was? I have a similar gpa, that's why I am asking this. And how long was the interview? Did you also have to write an essay at the interview?
Kshipra

I am applying to St. Augustine this month for the May 2011 class and am extremely nervous. This will be my second attempt at applying and this school is my number one choice. Since being denied the first time around, I have increased my GPA tremendously, my pre-req GPA is a 3.2 and my last 40 hours GPA is a 3.6... I got 1000 on the GRE and just got hired full time at Palmetto Health Baptist Hospital as a Rehab Tech. Since applying last I have also completed a 560 hour internship with geriatric therapy. I am just wondering if anyone has ANY tips on calming my nerves or helpful personal experience stories that will give me hope. I just want to make sure I do everything right this time around. Thanks ahead to anyone who would like to shed some light and ease my mind!

those were most of the questions i remember and of course, St Augustine is known for their 'off-the-wall' questions...
my interview partners was - if you could be a cereal brand, what would it be and why?
my question was - if you could be a car brand, what would it be and why?

hope this helps!

What do you mean about this? Is this what you guys asked eachother

kshipra - i sent in my application around November/December. i got a call 10 days after my interview stating i got accepted. they call if you get in, email if waitlisted, and mail if rejected. it's true, if you get waitlisted, you are guaranteed admission for the next term. they didn't ask about my undergrad gpa. interview was about 30 min. you don't write an essay during the actual interview but right after orientation (read my previous post again about essay)

jbizzle - we didn't ask each other the questions. that was my interview partner's question from the panelists. and that was my question from the panelists. they asked US the off-the-wall questions.