University of Sydney accommodation advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JERI

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some advice on my current situation:

The deal is I have just been offered an interview for accommodation at the Sydney international house (I listed it as my first preference). However I'm having second thoughts and would rather go to St John's (second preference) or Wesley's (third preference) instead.

I've changed my mind because a friend told me (he knows a bunch of people who lived there) that international house is the noisiest of the three and has worst food.

Of course I don't expect St John or Wesley to be all peace and quiet and offering 5 star cuisines, but now they look like the more attractive options.

My question is: Should I take the interview (on Friday 23rd) and turn down their offer if they accept me so they can pass on my application to St John (I think that's how the preference system works)? Or should I simply cancel the interview altogether to save time?

I'm not all too sure about the decision I have to make right now, so any opinions you can give is highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

St John's, Wesley, St Paul's, St Andrews, as well as Sancta Sophia are full to the brim with undergraduate students from wealthy backgrounds whose single goal is to party.

A big proportion of those are from private schools and are the immature types to believe in initiation ceremonies, etc.

They are not environments conducive to study.

International House, on the other hand, has more older students, many of whom are doing higher degrees including research.

Food at the aforementioned colleges will comprise pasta, quiche, etc.

I haven't heard much about the food at International House, so I can't comment.

I stayed for 1 year at SUV (across the road from St Andrews) and it was much the same. 7 nights of partying each week.

If I were you, I would consider sharing a flat with a couple of other students, somewhere in Newtown. There is heaps of Thai and Chinese restaurants on King St that open until late.

Look for some kind of graduate accommodation, I am not sure if U of Sydney offers this, I know it is available to Melbourne students. You might want to consider getting your own apartment, or sharing with someone you know.

In fact there's someone I know who's looking for a flatmate at the moment. He plans on getting a terrace accommodation and it's gonna be close to the uni as well.

It's a very attractive option, but I'm still kinda leaning towards the campus accommodations because they provide 3 meals a day (so I don't have to cook myself).

Actually, how busy are the first years in USydMP? I've lived on my own for a while so I have no problem cooking/cleaning up after myself, but med school is certainly gonna be busier.

It's different for everybody of course, but I'm still curious how you guys feel about living in a residential college (with meals, etc) as opposed to flatting?
What do you feel are the pros/cons of each?