University of Sydney - DMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecft07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received an interview invite from USyd dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received an interview invite from USyd dental school?

I'm also, still waiting :xf:. The USYD Portal says that my application has been forwarded from the Faculty of Dentistry to the Faculty of Medicine. It's been with the Faculty of Medicine for a week now. This is weird because I never applied for Medicine, just Dentistry!
Would anyone be able to tell me why the application would be forwarded to Faculty of Medicine? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply to melbourne as well? I went to their presentation in Toronto last week and it was pretty informative.

I couldn't make it. :( do u mind sharing your experience?

I couldn't make it. :( do u mind sharing your experience?
@Nezura yeah I was there it was definitely nice to talk to prof hawthorne and matt!

@ectf07 I wouldn't worry too much if you couldn't make it. It was nice to hear about the university of Melbourne's reputation internationally + the program but I don't think anything was said that stands out as information not being available on the website. The 1 on 1 session was helpful but that was because you could discuss your admissions statistics and if they thought you should be worried about any weaknesses on your transcript/DAT.

They talked about the medical + dental program during the information session that was available to everyone. It included the basic structure of the program (e.g. there are two 20week semesters with a 6week break in between and also you have summer which is mid november to feb from what i can recall). Accreditation was discussed as well but i'm sure you know that you can practice in Canada after you complete the canadian board exam. In Australia there is no such exam you need so you can practice right after you graduate the program. They talked about how you will get lots of clinical work during the program (esp after the first year) + you will be taught how to run a small business + there is a research component + the fourth year you will be practicing hands-on the whole year.

They didn't go into too much detail because it was about both med + dent so it was general info throughout most of the presentation but it was definitely nice to hear and I was glad to be there!

I just received my interview from Univ of Sydney this morning. It will be MMI! I am also from Canada! Good luck everyone!

I just received my interview from Univ of Sydney this morning. It will be MMI! I am also from Canada! Good luck everyone!

Hi, did u apply medical program as well ? when did you submit your application?

I did not apply for the medical program.
I submitted my application in 12th of May online.

When I talked to one of the admin at Dentistry, she said that Faculty of Medicine will be responsible for interviews for dentistry applicants this cycle.

Does the admission office release the interview invitation in one day? I submit my application forms on June 2nd and bit worrying for late submission. are they looking the carving section as well on DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the admission office release the interview invitation in one day? I submit my application forms on June 2nd and bit worrying for late submission. are they looking the carving section as well on DAT?

I think there'll be more invites, on their website it says anyone that makes their cutoffs (2.7gpa, 15DAT) will get an interview. Seems like people that submitted around mid may has their interviews first (I know someone who submitted on the 12 and got an interview today). Carving does not matter

Don't worry too much. I'm in the same boat as you having submitted June 2nd.

It said on the email that international interviews will be held on 14,15,16th of June. But on the website, it also said that additional dates will be set in August.

@Nezura yeah I was there it was definitely nice to talk to prof hawthorne and matt!

@ectf07 I wouldn't worry too much if you couldn't make it. It was nice to hear about the university of Melbourne's reputation internationally + the program but I don't think anything was said that stands out as information not being available on the website. The 1 on 1 session was helpful but that was because you could discuss your admissions statistics and if they thought you should be worried about any weaknesses on your transcript/DAT.

They talked about the medical + dental program during the information session that was available to everyone. It included the basic structure of the program (e.g. there are two 20week semesters with a 6week break in between and also you have summer which is mid november to feb from what i can recall). Accreditation was discussed as well but i'm sure you know that you can practice in Canada after you complete the canadian board exam. In Australia there is no such exam you need so you can practice right after you graduate the program. They talked about how you will get lots of clinical work during the program (esp after the first year) + you will be taught how to run a small business + there is a research component + the fourth year you will be practicing hands-on the whole year.

They didn't go into too much detail because it was about both med + dent so it was general info throughout most of the presentation but it was definitely nice to hear and I was glad to be there!

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info as well

and is the carving should over 15 as well at least? sorry for keep asking lol

I think they meant 15, overall. If your overall DAT is 15.. It should be fine. If you are not sure, you can always e-mail them and ask them.

I applied through Australearn. It takes several more days to go through an agency to file an email. So I am hopefully expecting an invite for an interview next week.

I am getting curious to know how MMI will be done with Skype. Also, I think I read somewhere saying that The Sydney Dent offers are released within 24hours after interviews for international students. Can someone confirm this? It's very hard to believe.

I applied through Australearn. It takes several more days to go through an agency to file an email. So I am hopefully expecting an invite for an interview next week.

I am getting curious to know how MMI will be done with Skype. Also, I think I read somewhere saying that The Sydney Dent offers are released within 24hours after interviews for international students. Can someone confirm this? It's very hard to believe.

They send you an instructional pdf which details how the interview will work. It'll be the same as being physically there (i.e. there is an interviewer in front of you who provides you with a scenario and then asks follow-up questions).
As far as offers being made, I think the rumour comes from this site:
http://pagingdr.net/forum/index.php...c6abbfdac08db98fda3dd&topic=2496.540#lastPost
A person by the screen-name of "rlyy" posted:
"international conditional/firm offers have actually already been released for those people who were in the 1 June interview block, they are processed on a rolling basis from what I understand. Subsequent blocks are 14-16 and 20-21 June as well as mid-late August."

However, you should note that this site is used by both prospective Med students and Dental student. I'm inclined to think those internationals offered acceptances are probably Med applicants and not Dental applicants because in the past Med offers were made before dental offers. Also, the USYD DMD site states "Offers letters made for international applicants" in August.

Anyways, that's just my two-cents!

I wish you all luck in your applications and the subsequent interviews :)

I just received the interview invite today. :) For those who had the interview already, how was it?

I just received the interview invite today. :) For those who had the interview already, how was it?

Congrats! If you received the invite today, are u choosing dates for Aug?

Congrats! If you received the invite today, are u choosing dates for Aug?
No I picked June 22nd. I don't think Aug interview spots are available atm.

When did you submit your application?
I believe mine was submitted on May 4th although my final transcript with last semester's grades wasn't in till June 3rd.

I got an email from Australearn and Usyd that the deadline changed to July 1st 2011.

Congrats guys! Got an invite today as well.

Did anyone else get an error message after the payment went through? I received an email saying the payment was charged but when i submitted it on the sit I was taken to an error page. I'm hoping that the site recognizes the payment went through because they say you will lose your booking time in 24 hours if you don't pay :(.

P.S. Super nervous about the MMI 80 minute interview.... need to find out how to prepare for this!

Congrats guys! Got an invite today as well.

Did anyone else get an error message after the payment went through? I received an email saying the payment was charged but when i submitted it on the sit I was taken to an error page. I'm hoping that the site recognizes the payment went through because they say you will lose your booking time in 24 hours if you don't pay :(.

P.S. Super nervous about the MMI 80 minute interview.... need to find out how to prepare for this!

It happened to me too, but I received the receipt via email. Did you?

It happened to me too, but I received the receipt via email. Did you?

Yeah! Ok, sweet. Probably just a random script error with the system but we should be fine if it's not happening to just one person.

Hi,

I was asked to upload some documents on U of Sydney portal, but whenever I click the "document upload requirement" link, it shows an error message saying, " An error has prevented the exeution of your request. Please contact your System Administrator"

My internet works just fine for other websites but only for this one.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem??

Thanks

To everyone who applied, can you guys share the following so we can see how the school is selecting for interviews

Applied via: (SydneyStudent, Australearn, another agency)
Applied on: Date
Current Status: "centre", "forwarded to faculty", "Invited for interview"

Myself

*Edit 2*

Applied: Australearn
Applied: App received June 2
Current Status: Forwarded to Medicine

Last edited:
To everyone who applied, can you guys share the following so we can see how the school is selecting for interviews

Myself

Current Status: Centre

I believe the last day for interviews (for international students) is June 22nd? That's next week so I'm hoping I receive an email very soon.

Applied: directly through USyd (online)
Apps: received June 1st

Applied: AustraLearn
App received: Sometimes in May

There will be additional interviews in Aug and possibly Nov, so hang in there guys!

Myself

Hi,

I was asked to upload some documents on U of Sydney portal, but whenever I click the "document upload requirement" link, it shows an error message saying, " An error has prevented the exeution of your request. Please contact your System Administrator"

My internet works just fine for other websites but only for this one.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem??

Thanks

you can email your documents to them as I did. it's stated in here.

"If you have completed the online application but are unable to upload some or all of your supporting
documents, you can email them to [email protected]"

Applied: AustraLearn and USyd Online (there was some confusion)
App received: May 11

For those of you inquiring about the interview, I can't say much because of the confidentiality agreement but I wish you luck :thumbup:

Applied: AustraLearn and USyd Online (there was some confusion)
App received: May 11

For those of you inquiring about the interview, I can't say much because of the confidentiality agreement but I wish you luck :thumbup:

Out of curiosity, do the interviewers speak or are you the only one speaking to them. I ask because it says they type the question to you but i'm assuming you answer back on the microphone.

Also, did you use your passport ID that you uploaded or did you just use another ID? :3

Thanks

As far as offers being made, I think the rumour comes from this site:
http://pagingdr.net/forum/index.php...c6abbfdac08db98fda3dd&topic=2496.540#lastPost
A person by the screen-name of "rlyy" posted:
"international conditional/firm offers have actually already been released for those people who were in the 1 June interview block, they are processed on a rolling basis from what I understand. Subsequent blocks are 14-16 and 20-21 June as well as mid-late August."

However, you should note that this site is used by both prospective Med students and Dental student. I'm inclined to think those internationals offered acceptances are probably Med applicants and not Dental applicants because in the past Med offers were made before dental offers. Also, the USYD DMD site states "Offers letters made for international applicants" in August.

Does this mean that the next block of interviews for international applications are in August, and that there are no international interviews in July? I incorrectly assumed that all international interviews would be completed by the end of June, and made travel plans for much of July. Now I'm nervous that my application has not been processed yet, and should I be called for an interview in July, I might find it difficult to connect with reliable internet access.

Last edited:
Does this mean that the next block of interviews for international applications are in August, and that there are no international interviews in July? I incorrectly assumed that all international interviews would be completed by the end of June, and made travel plans for much of July. Now I'm nervous that my application has not been processed yet, and should I be called for an interview in July, I might find it difficult to connect with reliable internet access.

I know for medicine there wont be interviews again for international students until mid-August. I think they are only going thru Australian and NZ applicants during that time.. So August would be for second round offers I suspect for people who didnt make it for first interviews this week and last. And since interviews are for both medicine and DMD applicants at the same time, I would assume you are the same as us med applicants.

Since it hasnt been processed yet I would contact them. It shouldnt stay in "Centre" for more than a week from what Ive heard.

Best of luck!

Hope everyone's apps are moving along. Mine finally got forwarded to medicine (from dentistry). Maybe a few of us will hear about interview invites soon?

Hi folks. Have any internationals received notification of the outcome of their application yesterday?
The email I received a week ago led me to believe the results would be emailed on June 29 (Sydney date). I haven't received anything and so I'm a bit concerned. :confused:

Hi folks. Have any internationals received notification of the outcome of their application yesterday?
The email I received a week ago led me to believe the results would be emailed on June 29 (Sydney date). I haven't received anything and so I'm a bit concerned. :confused:

Nope, haven't heard anything here :(

Received an interview invite today for a date on Aug 1-3. They mentioned there were going to be another block of interviews on Aug 30 in the email.

Has anyone heard back from the faculty of dentistry yet??

I hope we get to hear from them soon....getting anxious...

I think they started sending out the letter. I just received an offer from Sydney! Good luck guys! :thumbup:

Wow congrats! Did they say how long they will give people to put a deposit down out of curiosity?