University of Sydney DVM 2017 entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lao3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wanted to start a University of Sydney thread for all those applying to the DVM program for 2017 entry. It's a place where we can share and ask questions, and help each other out along the application path.

I'll start:

I'm from Toronto, Canada. I did my undergraduate degree in Fine Arts and have an alright GPA. I'm currently picking up my science pre-requisites, and have six years of small animal experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I'm also planning to apply to the University of Sydney for 2017 entry! I'm from Toronto as well and graduated from Guelph. My grades are alright (high 80s in 4th year) but I'm not sure whether my organic chemistry prerequisite is acceptable. Has anyone applied to Sydney after doing an undergrad at Guelph? The only course related to organic chemistry course I've taken was CHEM*1040, and it was only introductory. Is anyone applying through OzTREKK? Or using VMCAS? I wanted to apply through VMCAS so I could also apply to Ross and SGU (although I'm leaning more towards Australian schools), but I would have to apply to Melbourne separately.

Anyone else who is applying to Sydney (or even Melbourne) for the DVM program are free to message me!!

Hi!

I'm also planning to apply to the University of Sydney for 2017 entry! I'm from Toronto as well and graduated from Guelph. My grades are alright (high 80s in 4th year) but I'm not sure whether my organic chemistry prerequisite is acceptable. Has anyone applied to Sydney after doing an undergrad at Guelph? The only course related to organic chemistry course I've taken was CHEM*1040, and it was only introductory. Is anyone applying through OzTREKK? Or using VMCAS? I wanted to apply through VMCAS so I could also apply to Ross and SGU (although I'm leaning more towards Australian schools), but I would have to apply to Melbourne separately.

Anyone else who is applying to Sydney (or even Melbourne) for the DVM program are free to message me!!

I'm also using my University of Guelph credits to apply

CHEM 1050 (inorganic chem)
BIOC 2580 (biochem)
MCB 2050 (bio)
CHEM 2700 (organic them)
I was unsure if 1040 was good for the organic pre-req, so I just took 2700 to be safe.

I'm applying through Oztrekk at the moment, and it has been a good experience so far. I did my undergraduate degree in the arts at a different university, so I don't think I am eligible to apply to Melbourne, as they require a BSc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all!

I am planning on applying to the University of Sydney as well. I'm from Kansas I did my undergrad in biology and I'm almost done with my masters of public health. I'm not sure I can even quantify my animal experience haha it feels like I've been working on that my whole life! I was wondering if any of you knew how many people total usually apply to this program? I emailed them last Friday but I still haven't heard back!

Hey guys. Just so you get a general idea. I applied to USyd through oztrekk last year and got in with:

Prereqs
1st year org chem
1st year phys chem
2nd year cell and molecular bio
2nd year biochem
B to A- grades in these

CGPA 3.4
Last year GPA 3.8

Approx 300 hours volunteer in vet private practice.

I think if you have around a 3.2 you are likely to get a spot. I also heard back from them in 2 weeks. So take what you want from that.

Good luck!

Hey guys. Just so you get a general idea. I applied to USyd through oztrekk last year and got in with:

Prereqs
1st year org chem
1st year phys chem
2nd year cell and molecular bio
2nd year biochem
B to A- grades in these

CGPA 3.4
Last year GPA 3.8

Approx 300 hours volunteer in vet private practice.

I think if you have around a 3.2 you are likely to get a spot. I also heard back from them in 2 weeks. So take what you want from that.

Good luck!
Just wondering do you think it is beneficial to apply both through VMCAS and oztrekk? I am definitely doing VMCAS but I am willing to do oztrekk too if it will improve my chances.

I am a little confused by the application process. (Yes I know I am very last minute!) Do we just apply through VMCAS? I just see on their website stuff listed about having 4 references sent recs directly to them?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I wanted to start a University of Sydney thread for all those applying to the DVM program for 2017 entry. It's a place where we can share and ask questions, and help each other out along the application path.

I'll start:

I'm from Toronto, Canada. I did my undergraduate degree in Fine Arts and have an alright GPA. I'm currently picking up my science pre-requisites, and have six years of small animal experience.

I am a little confused by the application process. (Yes I know I am very last minute!) Do we just apply through VMCAS? I just see on their website stuff listed about having 4 references sent recs directly to them?

Thanks!
So I have talked to Fiona, the application/admissions person there and from what I understand we just apply through VMCAS. I never saw anything about 4 references though.....from either the international or national said. However, Fiona also said that they don't really have access to VMCAS from the backside, and she even made it seem like they didn't even know what was listed on the VMCAS site.

But in regards to your question, I did clarify that VMCAS is enough!

So I have talked to Fiona, the application/admissions person there and from what I understand we just apply through VMCAS. I never saw anything about 4 references though.....from either the international or national said. However, Fiona also said that they don't really have access to VMCAS from the backside, and she even made it seem like they didn't even know what was listed on the VMCAS site.

But in regards to your question, I did clarify that VMCAS is enough!

Oh wonderful! Thank you so much!

Hope everyone got their applications submitted by the deadline. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Just wondering if everyone got the email about having all the unit of study outlines? I am pretty sure it was a universal email for all applicants but I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't just me! I applied through VMCAS so the system was a little different and I emailed admissions to make sure that they had everything they needed from me, but they haven't responded yet!

Just wondering if everyone got the email about having all the unit of study outlines? I am pretty sure it was a universal email for all applicants but I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't just me! I applied through VMCAS so the system was a little different and I emailed admissions to make sure that they had everything they needed from me, but they haven't responded yet!
I think it was a generic email, since I got it as well but already submitted everything. Even though you applied through VMCAS, you still have to make sure they received all of your "unit of study outlines" aka your syllabi for the prereqs. Just scan in copies to that email with your VMCAS number and you'll be set.

I think it was a generic email, since I got it as well but already submitted everything. Even though you applied through VMCAS, you still have to make sure they received all of your "unit of study outlines" aka your syllabi for the prereqs. Just scan in copies to that email with your VMCAS number and you'll be set.
Ok! Awesome thanks! I went back and read and then sent along my syllabi because I figured that's is what they meant! Don't know how I missed it! But the VMCAS application didn't really mention it or have a place to attach them!

Members don't see this ad :)
While stalking the USyd DVM page again, I noticed that there is a document checklist that says we need our passport and birth certificate scanned to USyd as part of the application... Did anyone do this? Or heard anything about this? I applied through VMCAS and sent in my prereq syllabi as well as the supplemental (just to be safe), but this is the first time reading about other documents.
(I emailed USyd but wanted to check in with y'all)
Thanks!

While stalking the USyd DVM page again, I noticed that there is a document checklist that says we need our passport and birth certificate scanned to USyd as part of the application... Did anyone do this? Or heard anything about this? I applied through VMCAS and sent in my prereq syllabi as well as the supplemental (just to be safe), but this is the first time reading about other documents.
Thanks!

I haven't heard about that! Please let me know what they say!!

Thanks!

I scanned by passport and included it as part of my application. I'm a Canadian citizen, and applied through OzTREKK.

I haven't heard about that! Please let me know what they say!!
Just heard back from admissions, they want our passport and birth certificate scanned in.
I scanned by passport and included it as part of my application. I'm a Canadian citizen, and applied through OzTREKK.
Be sure to send in your birth certificate too! They made that clear in the email that they want both.

Just heard back from admissions, they want our passport and birth certificate scanned in.

Be sure to send in your birth certificate too! They made that clear in the email that they want both.

Thank you so much! Do we just send it to the admissions email? Our applications will still be considered correct even though we did not have those documents scanned prior to the deadline?

Thank you so much! Do we just send it to the admissions email? Our applications will still be considered correct even though we did not have those documents scanned prior to the deadline?
No problem!
They seem to be aware of the differences between VMCAS vs OzzTREK vs application portal, so I won't stress about things being late unless they tell me otherwise. As long as you had the actual application in on time, they seem to be reasonable about the rest of the materials needed. And yes, just email to the same email they used to ask for the syllabi.

No problem!
They seem to be aware of the differences between VMCAS vs OzzTREK vs application portal, so I won't stress about things being late unless they tell me otherwise. As long as you had the actual application in on time, they seem to be reasonable about the rest of the materials needed. And yes, just email to the same email they used to ask for the syllabi.
Awesome!! Thanks again!

Hello! Just checking in. Have you guys had any offers/updates? One spot on the USyd webpage says we will know by the end of September whereas the admission guide book says international offers will be sent out "by October 7." Do you know which is true?

Thanks!

I
Hello! Just checking in. Have you guys had any offers/updates? One spot on the USyd webpage says we will know by the end of September whereas the admission guide book says international offers will be sent out "by October 7." Do you know which is true?

Thanks!
haven't heard anything, but I am starting to get anxious/excited. I had only seen the Oct. 7th date (which would be the 6th for us North Americans!) So I just assumed. However I was looking at threads from previous years and some people were accepted back in May, however that may have been before Sydney aligned with the VMCAS timeline. Wishing us all the best of luck!!!

Nothing yet! I'm checking constantly, I can't take it!

The admission guide does say offers should be sent out by Oct 7th. Late offers sent out mid-late November.

Please post when you get news.

Same! Are you just checking email? Or is there any other way to check? I only applied via VMCAS
I am just checking email. I only applied through VMCAS as well so as far as I know that is the only way they will contact us!

It's 6 am here where I am in Canada (Oct 7th). I know the Sydney admissions office is open from 9-5 (Sydney time), and it's well past closed (almost Oct 8th in Aus)!
I never got an e-mail :(

It's 6 am here where I am in Canada (Oct 7th). I know the Sydney admissions office is open from 9-5 (Sydney time), and it's well past closed (almost Oct 8th in Aus)!
I never got an e-mail :(
I didn't either! Hopefully we all hear soon... Eee!

Same here!! I finally forced myself to sleep (although it was difficult). What's frustrating is that it's the weekend there so it's not like we can even ask!

I was just informed by my OzTREKK agent that offers of admission may be delayed by up to two weeks!
This is a painful wait. But just because you didn't hear back doesn't mean you weren't accepted.

Guys! I just received an acceptance email! I am so excited, a little stressed because I still have other schools I want to hear from, but regardless I am going to veterinary school!!!

Same here! Just received my letter! Ahhh :)

Guys! I just received an acceptance email! I am so excited, a little stressed because I still have other schools I want to hear from, but regardless I am going to veterinary school!!!
What other schools did you apply to? Also, that initial payment is scary without financial aid

What other schools did you apply to? Also, that initial payment is scary without financial aid
I applied to Western (in CA), Lincoln-Memorial (in TN), and Kansas State (because its my IS, not because I like it). What about you? Yeah I am a little stressed about the initial payment. I would be fine paying like $500 and losing it if I decided not to go. But that is HALF the tuition for the year! Yikes! Was yours a 'unconditional' offer as well?

Hey everyone!

I got accepted too and am figuring arrangements before enrolling. Looks like we'd have to accept the offer by the end of the month which is so soon!

Hey everyone!

I got accepted too and am figuring arrangements before enrolling. Looks like we'd have to accept the offer by the end of the month which is so soon!
Congrats!! :)
Where did you see the end of the month? The letter/info they sent said "your spot is held as long as there are seats in the class you were accepted to." So I was hoping to commit mid-November to have the funds, etc.

I applied to Western (in CA), Lincoln-Memorial (in TN), and Kansas State (because its my IS, not because I like it). What about you? Yeah I am a little stressed about the initial payment. I would be fine paying like $500 and losing it if I decided not to go. But that is HALF the tuition for the year! Yikes! Was yours a 'unconditional' offer as well?
Western should let you know soon. Have you toured their campus? And do you like their teaching methods?
I applied to the CSU, Penn, & Cornell, too. I'd like to wait til New Years to commit to Sydney pending the Cornell decision, but I'm a second time applicant and don't want to risk a spot at a school I was actually accepted to..

Under the 'unconditional offer' section mine said the deadline for accepting your place is Sunday October 30. I do believe I could accept after that (IF there were spaces available) but I am not sure I want to risk it either!

I do like Western, I got an interview and was waitlisted there last year. The teaching style is definitely different but really neat and hands on! (if you are familiar with the TV show House MD, its similar to that). I am in the same situation, this is my 3rd time applying and I'd really like to hear from the other schools. However, just like you I'd HATE to give up a spot at Sydney and then not get in anywhere.

Congrats to everyone who was accepted, how exciting! I have yet to hear anything :(
For those accepted, did you apply through VMCAS? How did you get your acceptance?

Hey everyone ,

Congratulations on your offers to the Usyd DVM program, exciting times!

I was in your shoes last year and made the decision to accept my offer.

If you have any questions feel free to Facebook msg me: Amanda Storer :)

GL with your decision making!

This is what I'm stuck with! I know it's not a straight up 'no', but I hope I don't have to wait until second rounds of admission are sent out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 9.01.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 9.01.23 PM.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 132
I got a "conditional" acceptance and have until January 9th to upload proof of graduation- also still waiting to hear from other schools.

The difference between conditional and unconditional must just be dependent on impending degrees or pre-requisite courses? All so confusing! Its a lot to think through really quickly! I was reading through the letter and it seems the refund system is pretty extensive, so I am hoping I can reserve my space at Sydney and then IF I get any offers from other schools I can consider asking for a refund of my initial payment. However, maybe I will just decide to go regardless of other offers! For those accepted what are your plans?

Congrats to everyone who was accepted, how exciting! I have yet to hear anything :(
For those accepted, did you apply through VMCAS? How did you get your acceptance?
I got an email
The difference between conditional and unconditional must just be dependent on impending degrees or pre-requisite courses? All so confusing! Its a lot to think through really quickly! I was reading through the letter and it seems the refund system is pretty extensive, so I am hoping I can reserve my space at Sydney and then IF I get any offers from other schools I can consider asking for a refund of my initial payment. However, maybe I will just decide to go regardless of other offers! For those accepted what are your plans?

I have started looking at housing options!

Hey! I got an unconditional offer from Sydney to start in February, but I have no idea how I'm going to afford the deposit... For those who got accepted, did you get like a financial aid package or anything? Also, do you know anything about deferring the offer?

This delay is driving me nuts! I'm trying to figure out why I haven't heard back yet. The agent at Oztrekk said they're slowly trickling in. Sydney admissions told me the second round of admissions should be sent out around Oct 24 (I'm sure they'll also be late), but the DVM guide says mid November. Do you think this means I just wasn't included in the first round of admissions?

I submitted my application through Oztrekk on Sep 15th. It was received by the faculty on Sept 19th, and my outstanding evaluation forms were sent in for the 22nd. Did everyone just submit their applications sooner???? Help!

This delay is driving me nuts! I'm trying to figure out why I haven't heard back yet. The agent at Oztrekk said they're slowly trickling in. Sydney admissions told me the second round of admissions should be sent out around Oct 24 (I'm sure they'll also be late), but the DVM guide says mid November. Do you think this means I just wasn't included in the first round of admissions?

I submitted my application through Oztrekk on Sep 15th. It was received by the faculty on Sept 19th, and my outstanding evaluation forms were sent in for the 22nd. Did everyone just submit their applications sooner???? Help!

Hey Lao3, I submitted my application a couple days before you did but wasn't received by the faculty until Sept 19th (same as you). My evaluation forms were all sent in on time. I'd wait until the second round of admissions and ask then. Fingers crossed for you!