University of Sydney DVM 2017 entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well the admission guide says the results should be released by Oct 7, and I did not receive anything. So I emailed the admission office straight away and the guy replied they will try their best to inform the applicants, successful or not, their results by 14 Oct... and I reckon they will postpone everything AGAIN.... gosh...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is what I'm stuck with! I know it's not a straight up 'no', but I hope I don't have to wait until second rounds of admission are sent out.
This is exactly how mine looks and I am so frustrated! I applied back in May through the sydney uni website. Have you heard anything yet? I called them today and they said I would find out by the end of the work day, but still nothing. Any luck???

I haven't received an email however on the portal, in my DVM 2017 application on the application portal it came up this afternoon saying "Unconditional Offer". So check the portal not just the emails :) (Not sure if this applies to international but still try!)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't received an email however on the portal, in my DVM 2017 application on the application portal it came up this afternoon saying "Unconditional Offer". So check the portal not just the emails :) (Not sure if this applies to international but still try!)
I have the same as this! I don't suppose they will send emails over the weekend?? I'm dying to know if its a full-fee or CSP. I cant afford a full-fee :( I can't click anywhere to see the offer or accept it. Very annoying. Any tips?

I have the same as this! I don't suppose they will send emails over the weekend?? I'm dying to know if its a full-fee or CSP. I cant afford a full-fee :( I can't click anywhere to see the offer or accept it. Very annoying. Any tips?

I keep refreshing just in case, but I don't think any emails will be sent over the weekend and they will be closed! Hopefully they send information first thing on Monday! :)

For those who haven't heard back yet, I feel your frustration. It is now the weekend in Aus, and we've waited a full week after the stated deadline. This is especially frustrating because I'm neck high in midterms, and hoping I can drop my current semester if I'm accepted, but the deadline to drop is Nov. 4.

The dean of the faculty was at the University of Guelph last night, along with a few people form OzTREKK. I was reassured that schools never really stick to the deadlines. If you applied through OzTREKK, less than half of the applicants have been contacted with an update.

I was in contact with Sydney admissions, and they said second round should be sent out "around" Oct 24. Since none of us have been denied admission, I think it's safe to assume that we've been put on some kind of wait list, and will be offered a place as soon as accepted applicants start committing or giving up their spots.

Please keep your hopes up. We can do this!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey folks,

I received my acceptance email (unconditional offer) on Monday evening (9:22 PM eastern time).

I was super excited until I started thinking about all of the logistics of everything, and now I'm freaking out a bit.

I applied to a few other schools (all U.S. schools as I'm from the states) and obviously won't know about any of those for awhile. I didn't realize the deposit for Sydney was going to be so insanely expensive! :( Otherwise, I would probably just accept my offer and understand that I would lose a few hundred dollars if I decided not to go.

Anyone else in a similar situation? How are you guys planning on paying the deposit? October 30th is pretty soon to round up $30k.....

Hey folks,

I received my acceptance email (unconditional offer) on Monday evening (9:22 PM eastern time).

I was super excited until I started thinking about all of the logistics of everything, and now I'm freaking out a bit.

I applied to a few other schools (all U.S. schools as I'm from the states) and obviously won't know about any of those for awhile. I didn't realize the deposit for Sydney was going to be so insanely expensive! :( Otherwise, I would probably just accept my offer and understand that I would lose a few hundred dollars if I decided not to go.

Anyone else in a similar situation? How are you guys planning on paying the deposit? October 30th is pretty soon to round up $30k.....
Hey! I'm in the same exact boat... I am so conflicted about how to feel because I feel like I can't start getting excited until I actually figure out the details.

I emailed Sydney about the tuition/deposit and stuff, and they told me to fill out FAFSA and include Sydney in your school choice. Then email them to let them know that you submitted it and you're interested in a reduced initial deposit. I just emailed them yesterday and they told me that they would send me a new "firm offer" in a few days. From what I understand, tuition and everything still costs the same, but I think instead of a 50% deposit, it'll be a 5% deposit. I don't know much about refunding though...

Hey guys! First off, congrats to everyone that has been accepted! I posted a couple responses back, but am doing research in the Maldives and have very bad wifi connection (if any) so it's hard to access SDN. So I'm going to post a ton now but also feel free to reach out to me on facebook because it's easier to get access to here (Jenny Schilling, my profile is me in the mountains).

I have been able to email USYD quite a bit and yes, the initial deposit can be reduced to 5% ($3,000AUD) but you also have to pay the health deposit and other activity fee, so it totals about $6,300 AUD. You have to email them asap to get this reduced accepted offer fee, it took 5 days for me to get mine so don't wait!

There is a webinar for accepted DVM applicants October 26, so email Sydney if you haven't gotten that invite to attend that. It'll go over financial aid, housing, etc. I'm going to attend that prior to committing, just in case there are any other curve balls I haven't read about yet.

The refund process does seem extensive, and I'm in the same boat as y'all (US applicant, applied to other schools). Keep in mind you'll need to start your VISA too (another $500-$1400 depending on which student visa you get) and probably book a flight to Sydney (get that cancellation policy!!) all before even interviewing for other schools in January.. also, just like Sydney, other schools take their sweet time letting you know about offers, too.. I'm also taking my dog and already had my parents get his RNAT going back in the states and am looking at animal transport permits.. so that's more money. Which sucks. But it's the reality, and I don't want to pass up this opportunity to wait for a non-guaranteed spot elsewhere.

My game plan is to book a flight for February 10(ish) and then stay with a Sydney family for a week (which is offered through the university). Then they can recommend the best suburbs for housing. I'll probabaly stay in an airbnb temporarily too, since I don't want to rush the housing proceess and want my financial aid to pay deposits.

Anyways, sorry for this crazy long message. I just finally got access! I'm excited to meet you all!! And for anyone not accepted yet, don't give up hope!

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone else pay through Western Union? My payment has still not been received by the school and I am starting to get nervous that they will give away my spot just because my money is up in the air somewhere.

Just out of curiosity, how many people made the deposit and committed to the program?

I have. Although I'm still waiting on my wire transfer to make it there. Western Union completely lied about the length of time it takes. But I've been working with the school and I'm all good as long as it comes in before next week.

On a side note I have received two interviews at US schools and I'm still trying to decide haha. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have. Although I'm still waiting on my wire transfer to make it there. Western Union completely lied about the length of time it takes. But I've been working with the school and I'm all good as long as it comes in before next week.

On a side note I have received two interviews at US schools and I'm still trying to decide haha. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Congrats on the interviews. Were you able to pay the reduced deposit for Sydney? When would you hear the results for the US schools?

Congrats on the interviews. Were you able to pay the reduced deposit for Sydney? When would you hear the results for the US schools?

I was actually able to pay the entire fee due to some wonderful family members who took quick action to help me out....However I only did that knowing that I could get most of it back (minus what they take for a reduced deposit) if I decided not to attend. As far as when I would hear from the US schools it could vary....I am hoping I would kind of have a general idea prior to Christmas. That being said I am really thinking that Sydney is where I am supposed to be I just hate to let go of other opportunities you know?? I also get stuck in what is the most financially feasible option but I imagine eventually everything works itself out.

Hey everyone, today I was officially rejected from Sydney :(
I felt pretty confident with my 5+ years of veterinary experience...

Sorry @Lao3 :( I am not stranger to the rejection and disappointment side of things, just remember that everything happens for a reason (as corny as that sounds) and that it will all work out!

Also, just wondering is anyone else starting to look for housing/found housing? It seems like a lot of the on-campus housing was filled before we were even notified of acceptance and I get a little apprehensive about signing a lease for an off campus place until I know the area better. My only stipulation is to be able to cook my own food and not having to have a meal plan through a more 'dorm-like' housing option.

I got an email saying I was waitlisted, but it didn't explain what that means. It said I'll hear more after the 25th but I'm fairly impatient... Does that carry over to next year, or...?

Anyone else get this?

Hey everyone,

I've accepted and committed to my offer! Is anyone else looking at accommodation? I'm thinking about doing residence for the first semester @ Queen Mary, but also thinking about off-campus (I just made an account on flatmates). Anyone else on the same boat?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

I've accepted and committed to my offer! Is anyone else looking at accommodation? I'm thinking about doing residence for the first semester @ Queen Mary, but also thinking about off-campus (I just made an account on flatmates). Anyone else on the same boat?

Hey! Congrats! I am in the same boat as well. I was looking on campus but also have a flatmates.com profile. Although it seems like that may be more useful later in January since I do not really want to pay rent on a place 2 months before moving there! I also applied for the International House (although I only want accommodations where I do not have to buy a meal plan). Have you started your student visa yet? I am in the process but I was hoping some of you guys had as well so I could make sure I was uploading all the correct documents.

Hey everyone,

Now that exams are completed and results are out. I am fully available to answer any questions you may have about the move out to Sydney, housing etc.

I'm Canadian so won't be able to answer any questions about the USA loans system.

Shoot me an FB msg "Amanda Storer" if you have any Qs :)

Hey everyone,

Now that exams are completed and results are out. I am fully available to answer any questions you may have about the move out to Sydney, housing etc.

I'm Canadian so won't be able to answer any questions about the USA loans system.

Shoot me an FB msg "Amanda Storer" if you have any Qs :)

Hi, I am a Canadian from outside of Toronto heading over in February. I would appreciate any advice you could give me about accommodation. Are there any second years you know of in need of an additional roommate? Are there sites or fb pages where vet students post looking for flatmates or where they post rooms for rent? Thanks so much for volunteering to provide advice.

Hi, I am a Canadian from outside of Toronto heading over in February. I would appreciate any advice you could give me about accommodation. Are there any second years you know of in need of an additional roommate? Are there sites or fb pages where vet students post looking for flatmates or where they post rooms for rent? Thanks so much for volunteering to provide advice.

I would recommend the following sites:

Gumtree (equivalent to kijiji)
Flatmates
The university off campus housing database

Facebook (not only vet students):
Inner west housemates
Inner east housemates

Has anyone already found housing and finished their visa application? I was accepted in October but still want to hear back from other US schools before I make my decision. Does anyone know how long the visa process takes? I don't want to wait too long and run out of time to get everything ready for sydney if I end up going there

Has anyone already found housing and finished their visa application? I was accepted in October but still want to hear back from other US schools before I make my decision. Does anyone know how long the visa process takes? I don't want to wait too long and run out of time to get everything ready for sydney if I end up going there
I've been pretty absent from this forum deciding on what to do with Sydney.. but I know the VISA process takes ~4 weeks if you submit everything correctly the first time. And everywhere I have looked for Sydney it says DO NOT confirm any long term housing until you are there and see it in person. They offer weeks with host-families through the university or you can do a Airbnb.

I am on the edge of submitting my visa and have an Airbnb picked out if I take the plunge. I was rejected by CSU and Cornell, just waiting on Penn which is probably a denial as well. I think the last day I (we) could comfortably lodge the visa would be January 15, if I took a flight to Sydney the 16/17 of February...

Hey guys,

It took me approximately 3 weeks for my visa to be processed. It can take a lot longer or shorter (there are statistics you can look at somewhere on their website). A friend told me her visa was approved within 3 days after her application. I would submit the visa application ASAP to avoid delay.

It is true that you cannot find long term housing without physically being at the property (although it is possible, but probably unsafe/illegal). I'm doing an airbnb for a week so I have time to find housing.

Best of luck with everything!

Hi guys

I am thinking about applying at Sydney and this thread has been super helpful.
I have the same dilemma about waiting to hear from US schools .
What did you guys end up doing ?
Can you share ?

Hey guys

Can someone please tell me what email address to send the course Syllabi to?

Hey everyone, today I was officially rejected from Sydney :(
I felt pretty confident with my 5+ years of veterinary experience...

Hey, I am planning to apply to Sydney's vet med for the 2018 cycle but my GPA is not the greatest, so I'm not sure if I have a chance. I'm sitting at a 2.8 (on a 4.0 scale) right now which is their minimum requirement, but I'm sure it's highly competitive and I was just wondering if you don't mind sharing what your GPA was when you got rejected?

I do a lot of volunteer experience, and strong reference letters but I'm not sure if they will be enough to compensate for my poor GPA.

Hi guys

I am thinking about applying at Sydney and this thread has been super helpful.
I have the same dilemma about waiting to hear from US schools .
What did you guys end up doing ?
Can you share ?
I got accepted but let it lapse. I have been accepted into one US school, waitlisted at another, and accepted to an addition two international schools - so it was worth the wait. If I don't accept any of those offers my plan is to reapply to Sydney (they seem to readily accept American applicants) and make plans to move ASAP to start in Jan '19. That way I wouldn't wait for a whole other year to elapse before starting classes.