University of Sydney Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

America1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview here and I was wondering what people know about the school and the prospect for an American to go there and come back to practice in the states.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi driedcaribou,
I recall an earlier post where you mentioned that Sydney was going through a major overhaul of their GEMP. Do you have any other info on that, such as what it entails exactly, when it is actually going to be implemented, etc. Also, in regards to years 3 and 4 I remember that you mentioned that electives are done before the core rotations which can be a real problem as some North American schools requre core rotations to be done before electives can be set up; is this something that is going to be changed? I know Flinders has the core rotations in year 3, and I believe UQ does as well. Thanks.

hi driedcaribou,
I recall an earlier post where you mentioned that Sydney was going through a major overhaul of their GEMP. Do you have any other info on that, such as what it entails exactly, when it is actually going to be implemented, etc. Also, in regards to years 3 and 4 I remember that you mentioned that electives are done before the core rotations which can be a real problem as some North American schools requre core rotations to be done before electives can be set up; is this something that is going to be changed? I know Flinders has the core rotations in year 3, and I believe UQ does as well. Thanks.

I believe it should be implemented for the next cohort (2007) and perhaps the 3rd year cohort (so the ones who started in 2005).

I talked to some Flinders and UQ students about their program and they really confused the crap out of me......

UQ:
http://www.som.uq.edu.au/som/future_students/mbbs/prog_structure.htm

Here's the Flinders course:
http://som.flinders.edu.au/HTML/COURSES/GEMP/OverallPlan.pdf

USyd:
http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/currentstudent/index.php
You should be able to access the term dates

Honestly, you could go over the pros and cons but ultimately, like anywhere else, your experience is what you make of it. Of course, make your decision with as much information you can get.

Sydney can be flexible with International students and it is possible for you to take all your rotations first and make your last rotation an elective period.....

This makes the elective period in July and August of 4th year instead of December January in the middle of 4th year (and end of 3rd year).

I still managed to get one US elective for this winter period and am still waiting for more news...

I got rejected from Mayo pretty hard likely b/c I was missing the pre-reqs.... waste of my money on the application.

Sorry I'm a bit cluttered now- just wrote day 1 of my exams... if you have more questions ask. Will answer them later.