University of Sydney Vet Med C/O 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sakalinga14

Reaction score
Hey everybody! I was accepted into U of Syd Vet School for C/O 2025, but do to the pandemic, I deferred for one year. I wanted to connect with other students who may be attending, especially as international students!

Let's chat!

Members don't see this ad.

You may have a better chance over in Pre Vet. :) Not sure if this can be moved over there @Lupin21?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody! I was accepted into U of Syd Vet School for C/O 2025, but do to the pandemic, I deferred for one year. I wanted to connect with other students who may be attending, especially as international students!

Let's chat!
Hi @sakalinga14! I also deferred for the year. Looking forward to starting next year! Im based in the US.

Have you gotten any update from the uni yet about being allowed into the country next year with the current covid outbreak?
No update yet for me. But those who did not defer (and are currently in their first year) did get an update that they are one of the first in line for being allowed in, and the expectation is for start of next year.

:welcome: Hi Everyone!

I'm a current U.S. 1st year student studying at USYD. If any of you have any questions let me know! Just a few things to begin: @HappyToro is a great resource! Definitely reach out to them and/or I if you have any questions regarding the timeline or app process!

As far as we know, once NSW reaches 70% of its population fully vaccinated, we are on the priority list to be moved to Australia. Everyone is optimistic that we should be able to enter by February, however, there will likely be a cap on entrances. So there is a super small chance that DVM1s beginning in February will remain online for the first semester, since the past two years have had their first semester successfully fully online. In order for you to be able to move to Australia once borders open, you will need to be COVID-vaccinated. So if you haven't done so already, definitely do so because once the acceptance rolls in you won't even have a minute to catch your breath. Everything happens so quickly (and kind of last minute lol).

The U.S. students aren't allowed in at the moment, and honestly, USYD has been doing their best to cater. They've partnered with another Vet school in Canada and the U.S. and has sent us there for our second semester to complete our lab work with them until we are able to enter Aus. So don't stress about the potential of being online for DVM1, USYD has really been doing their best to still make it a decent experience.

Your acceptances roll out typically end of November/early December, so make sure to check your spam during that time. Once you get accepted, you will be asked to pay the full first semester's tuition to "hold your spot". If you are planning to use Federal Student Loans (U.S.), please make sure to email back the Financial office and let them know. They will allow you to pay 15% to hold your spot instead.

Finally, for those of you who have applied this cycle, you will be class of 2025, not 2026 :) You will be finishing in December of 2025, however, will not walk until early 2026. It is still a 4 year program- but since you start Feb, you get a full year's worth of courses within the given year rather than dragging it onto the next.

If you have any questions at all, feel free to reach out! Good luck everyone! 😊

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, are there any tips with the application for international students. I am applying for DVM at USYD starting next year Feb 2022. I'm an international student, living and studying in Australia for 4 years.

Hi guys, are there any tips with the application for international students. I am applying for DVM at USYD starting next year Feb 2022. I'm an international student, living and studying in Australia for 4 years.
The only thing I can tell you is being an international student is your greatest advantage when applying to USYD. Primarily because internationals pay more than domestics (although in U.S. perspective, it is still significantly cheaper due to the conversion rate when going to USYD vs. any other U.S. vet school). So I wouldn't stress too much about getting that acceptance. Just make sure that you have your bachelors no later than this upcoming December. They won't accept you if you don't have it by then.

I applied as a domestic student (although I did my prerequisites, courses and animal related experiences in the US), so I’m not sure if my application advice would be as relevant for international students. I was told that they liked to see experiences across a range of animals and a range of setting, preferably including vet clinic experience. I actually did not have any clinical experience when I applied, and instead focused on the range of animals I worked with in other settings (large and small). I also mentioned non animal experience and related it to things that are important for vets to have (like leadership communication skills, empathy, problem thinking ability, organizational skills, etc).

They also rank students based on their grades, as well as experience. For domestic students, the application used to say that both were worth equal weight in determining the final ranking of students. Not sure if they’ll do the same this year, or if it differs for internationals, but a good gpa would be important too (though obviously not a deal breaker if you have strong experience).

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
The only thing I can tell you is being an international student is your greatest advantage when applying to USYD. Primarily because internationals pay more than domestics (although in U.S. perspective, it is still significantly cheaper due to the conversion rate when going to USYD vs. any other U.S. vet school). So I wouldn't stress too much about getting that acceptance. Just make sure that you have your bachelors no later than this upcoming December. They won't accept you if you don't have it by then.
One thing to add to this is that I think domestic students are ranked and accepted separately from international applications. They have a set quota for domestics vs internationals, at least that was what they told me two years ago :) so when you apply as an international student, you’ll be assessed relative to other international applications not relative to domestic students.

Members don't see this ad :)
They also rank students based on their grades, as well as experience. For domestic students, the application used to say that both were worth equal weight in determining the final ranking of students. Not sure if they’ll do the same this year, or if it differs for internationals, but a good gpa would be important too (though obviously not a deal breaker if you have strong experience).
Also, don't be discouraged if you have a lower GPA! Some of my classmates and upperclassmen had high GPAs, but some also had low GPAs! I know a few who even had below a 3.0 GPA who are here. Although GPA matters, it doesn't matter as much as your experience and overall application. So give yourself a shot even if you don't think you have one! Majority of my classmates genuinely didn't think they'd get in (myself included)... yet here we are. USYD is holistic. But don't think just because they accepted you with a low GPA means you're worth any less than those with a higher GPA. USYD has high standards and is one of the top Vet schools in THE WORLD. You are worth more than your GPA, and they'll likely see that too. They really value experience, though. One thing I've noticed is the variety of unique experiences each of my classmates hold. Seriously, we all have our really really unique experiences (not just small animal, shadowing at a local clinic cookie-cutter experience) and I genuinely think that's something USYD looks at when evaluating apps.

Reactions: 1 users
How’s everyone feeling about applying?? I can’t believe we have to wait for two months to hear back 😅

I applied as a domestic student (although I did my prerequisites, courses and animal related experiences in the US), so I’m not sure if my application advice would be as relevant for international students. I was told that they liked to see experiences across a range of animals and a range of setting, preferably including vet clinic experience. I actually did not have any clinical experience when I applied, and instead focused on the range of animals I worked with in other settings (large and small). I also mentioned non animal experience and related it to things that are important for vets to have (like leadership communication skills, empathy, problem thinking ability, organizational skills, etc).

Hope that helps!
Thank you team, I really appreciate the advice. I have submitted my application for next year intake. Hopefully the result will be out soon

Did anyone else applying from the US get the FAFSA info session email from USYD?

Did anyone else applying from the US get the FAFSA info session email from USYD?
Yeah 😂 I was super confused, like I had missed an acceptance email or something. Then I read the last line

Yeah 😂 I was super confused, like I had missed an acceptance email or something. Then I read the last line
Wait okay does that mean we all got the financial aid email but still no letter of denial/ acceptance?

Anyone else going crazy waiting for acceptances? Im checking my email a million times a day.

How are y'all planning/handling the rapid turnaround of starting in February when living in the US? Struggling w this at the moment...2 months to move to a different continent is totally bonkers!!! Are you guys deferring or doing the first quarter online?? I emailed about deferrals as OP mentioned deferring from last year but they said HARD NO.

How are y'all planning/handling the rapid turnaround of starting in February when living in the US? Struggling w this at the moment...2 months to move to a different continent is totally bonkers!!! Are you guys deferring or doing the first quarter online?? I emailed about deferrals as OP mentioned deferring from last year but they said HARD NO.
Tbh I'm so ready to move! I live in Cali and as much as a i do like being home I'm ready to do new things and meet new people. I can understand that it is super crazy though. Everyone else thinks I'm insane for wanting to do it, but I'm honestly so excited. Everything works out from people I've read who goes to Sydney so despite us being all stressed out I'm sure we'll be fine. :)

Last edited:
I did my undergrad degree in Ireland and though I had a bit more time I didn't have much so I think I'm ready. I also think a lot of the stuff feels scary upfront but once ur doing it it end up being alright. Has anyone received official offers yet?

Last edited:
Hi Friends! Current U.S. DVM1 here! Don't worry about moving with only two months notice! You'll be getting more time than we will be haha. We don't find out until end of december if we can move or not since that's when our grades come out. USYD is great with providing info. with you guys. Attend the FAFSA meeting if you can!!! It was a lifesaver for me! USYD doesn't allow deferring unless you really have an extraneous circumstance (ei. death, illness, etc.). Deferrals were given as an option this past year because we were told we would be in person, however, we unfortunately remained online. Do not worry about being online your first semester if it comes down to it. All of us here- even the upperclassmen that are with us in the States- all preferred online for our first semester of the year. It makes the transition into DVM a little easier, and being able to pause, speed up, etc. lectures and anatomy practicals are super beneficial. I wouldn't say that it makes learning more difficult, either... (except for anatomy for those of you who are hands-on learners like me). Really give your DVM1 year your all!!! Avoid having a job during your first year because you will burn out quick. As of date, we've all been told that we'd be back in person next semester. Borders to Australia have opened for specially exempt people to enter as early as December 1 (Students with their Visa classify as one of the exemptions!). If we are stuck online again, do not fret. They'll send you an email offering for you to defer if it comes down to it. When you apply for your visas DO NOT INDICATE THAT YOU ARE A MEDICAL STUDENT OR ARE STUDYING MEDICINE FROM THE CHECK-OFF LIST. Australia does NOT recognize DVM students as medical students or are studying "medicine". By checking off the box, you will be required to do a $700 physical exam at your nearest travel clinic before you get your visa approved. Specify that you are a DVM student if they have that specific option on there, or if there is a "write-in" section. Once you get your offers, remember to email back letting them know that you will be using U.S. Federal Loans to cover your tuition and ask to have the deposit fee reduced. Make sure you all check your junk/spam mail as well!!!!! A lot of us saw our emails in there. Hopefully you all will be hearing back within this upcoming week!! If you have any questions at all, feel free to PM me or tag me or whatever it is! I was in your shoes exactly a year ago, so I still have it all fresh in my mind :) Oh one more piece of advice: If you end up getting waitlisted, do not fear or cry or whatever. Give USYD 2-3 weeks. You'll more than likely receive that acceptance since a lot of people who initially apply fear the sudden move to AUS. when it becomes a reality and end up rejecting their spots to USYD. I have yet to meet someone who was waitlisted and didn't get accepted eventually. Good luck everyone! Exciting times!!! :soexcited::claps:

Reactions: 7 users
Hi guys! Another US student in Cali here applying and anxiously awaiting haha—I emailed them last month and they told me that “offers will commence in early December” so hopefully this week or next we’ll hear back! Good luck to everyone 🙂

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys!
I received my offer yesterday, yet I have until the 13th of December to decide. I am thinking about putting in the deposit cause we will get 90% of it back if I decide not to go if I hear from another vet school. But I am worried about postponing the whole process of finding housing and the idea of moving to an entirely different country (I am from Florida). Does anyone have any advice on what they are doing/did to help me figure out what to do?

• Wow
Hey guys!
I received my offer yesterday, yet I have until the 13th of December to decide. I am thinking about putting in the deposit cause we will get 90% of it back if I decide not to go if I hear from another vet school. But I am worried about postponing the whole process of finding housing and the idea of moving to an entirely different country (I am from Florida). Does anyone have any advice on what they are doing/did to help me figure out what to do?
I'm from FL as well. You don't need to start looking for housing or figuring out moving just yet. USYD will aid you when the time comes, or you can reach out to me and I can offer a few helpful websites to search for affordable housing. Take the process one step at a time. Although we've been told that we would be in person next semester, there still might be a chance that we'd be online again, and you wouldn't have to worry about moving as new info about Omicron is released. This week they found 2 positive cases of omicron in Sydney, and the residents are trying to push the gov. to go back into lockdown, although the gov. is a bit resistant. They've pushed the opening of borders for students from Dec. 1 to Dec. 15 yesterday as a result. Point is, we don't know what's going to happen in the upcoming weeks... just when we thought we were finally gaining improvement on the whole COVID situation... :cryi:

For those of you who need a bit of swaying on exclusive USYD DVM perks (I promise I don't get paid for this even though I really should be smh), below is a list copied and pasted from a response I gave to one of you who PMed me. I think the rest of you might find this beneficial. I didn't know half of this until I started the program:

• Cheaper in tuition due to conversion rates than almost any other U.S. uni (with the exception of your in-state)- they make up for it in more expensive living costs.... BUT THE EXPERIENCE OF GOING TO A VET SCHOOL IN AUSTRALIA IS *chef's kiss* what i'd call elite... Like it's literally such a flex.
  • USYD hates competition. They'll tell you during your first week to not compete with your classmates. There are no rankings, nothing. They really want everyone to pass.
  • If you fail a semester/class, you don't just fail out of the program and kicked out. You take a remediation exam for the class you failed (like a retake), and if you pass that then you can move on. If you don't, then you're held back a year. You can do this up to 3 times -> Which means you can fail up to 3 times (and be held back at most 2/3 years). On your 3rd time you meet with the board, and can explain your case and circumstances and at that point you'd be either kicked out or given a 4th chance. Tbh I haven't heard of anyone reaching that point, so I wouldn't worry about it. But it's a good grace option.
  • Going to USYD you get more hands on starting the end of your first year. You do rotations at the end of your first year and work with a variety of animals on your breaks; I don't know of any vet school that does this to be honest, especially that early.
  • At USYD you learn how to work on fish and do surgeries on them and stuff (again, something that is exclusive to very little Vet schools- esp since they do ask you to calculate anesthesia rates on fish on the NAVLE and stuff). We're currently placed at LMU and LMU doesn't do any work with fish.
  • During your first year you draw blood on fish, anesthetize, and conduct necropsies, you learn how to handle and draw blood from sheep and pigs, etc. along with other large animals (Basically stuff you'd normally learn in second year or 3rd year at other vet schools you learn during your first year).
  • Graduating from USYD means you gain automatic licensure to work in Aus. and NZ. You are also eligible to work in U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, China, and UK. Whereas, if you graduate from U.S. school, you're only eligible to work in U.S. and Canada.
  • During your 4th year, you do clinics in your home country AND Aus. to ensure your proficiency in each country's veterinary industry for when you become a working vet.
  • This is SUPER HUGE. USYD pays for any NAVLE prep you take when it comes to you taking the NAVLE (no other vet school does this. And NAVLE prep is like ~$400)
  • Every U.S. student who takes the NAVLE from USYD passes. They mentioned that their rates aren't at 100% because some of the Aus. students like to take the NAVLE without studying just to see if they'd pass and be eligible to work in U.S.
  • ANOTHER IMPORTANT POINT (and my favorite since I'm literally so scared of failing). A passing at USYD is 50% or higher. At any other vet school it is 70% or higher. This extra cushion is great since we learn a lot of material and allows us to actually learn the material for our patients' sake rather than for the exam grade.
  • During your 3rd year, you have to do a research project with a staff of your choosing, and you can basically publish a paper. This is great because in order to be board certified in the U.S. you need to have a paper published, and it is very rare to do this when you're in any other vet school. But with USYD you have the potential to graduate with a published paper, so you're already ahead of any other graduating vet.
  • First year is all anatomy, histology, physiology, basically all the -ologies. But starting second year it is case-based.
  • Another exciting point: Because of how the school year is set up- First semester in February, second semester in end of July- you get your full 4 years in, but you graduate a year earlier than other applicants this cycle, if that makes sense. Like, right now, you are schedule to be class of 2026 (graduating in May/June of 2026 at any other vet school). At USYD you would be class of 2025, graduating in December of 2025.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm from FL as well. You don't need to start looking for housing or figuring out moving just yet. USYD will aid you when the time comes, or you can reach out to me and I can offer a few helpful websites to search for affordable housing. Take the process one step at a time. Although we've been told that we would be in person next semester, there still might be a chance that we'd be online again, and you wouldn't have to worry about moving as new info about Omicron is released. This week they found 2 positive cases of omicron in Sydney, and the residents are trying to push the gov. to go back into lockdown, although the gov. is a bit resistant. They've pushed the opening of borders for students from Dec. 1 to Dec. 15 yesterday as a result. Point is, we don't know what's going to happen in the upcoming weeks... just when we thought we were finally gaining improvement on the whole COVID situation... :cryi:

For those of you who need a bit of swaying on exclusive USYD DVM perks (I promise I don't get paid for this even though I really should be smh), below is a list copied and pasted from a response I gave to one of you who PMed me. I think the rest of you might find this beneficial. I didn't know half of this until I started the program:

• Cheaper in tuition due to conversion rates than almost any other U.S. uni (with the exception of your in-state)- they make up for it in more expensive living costs.... BUT THE EXPERIENCE OF GOING TO A VET SCHOOL IN AUSTRALIA IS *chef's kiss* what i'd call elite... Like it's literally such a flex.
  • USYD hates competition. They'll tell you during your first week to not compete with your classmates. There are no rankings, nothing. They really want everyone to pass.
  • If you fail a semester/class, you don't just fail out of the program and kicked out. You take a remediation exam for the class you failed (like a retake), and if you pass that then you can move on. If you don't, then you're held back a year. You can do this up to 3 times -> Which means you can fail up to 3 times (and be held back at most 2/3 years). On your 3rd time you meet with the board, and can explain your case and circumstances and at that point you'd be either kicked out or given a 4th chance. Tbh I haven't heard of anyone reaching that point, so I wouldn't worry about it. But it's a good grace option.
  • Going to USYD you get more hands on starting the end of your first year. You do rotations at the end of your first year and work with a variety of animals on your breaks; I don't know of any vet school that does this to be honest, especially that early.
  • At USYD you learn how to work on fish and do surgeries on them and stuff (again, something that is exclusive to very little Vet schools- esp since they do ask you to calculate anesthesia rates on fish on the NAVLE and stuff). We're currently placed at LMU and LMU doesn't do any work with fish.
  • During your first year you draw blood on fish, anesthetize, and conduct necropsies, you learn how to handle and draw blood from sheep and pigs, etc. along with other large animals (Basically stuff you'd normally learn in second year or 3rd year at other vet schools you learn during your first year).
  • Graduating from USYD means you gain automatic licensure to work in Aus. and NZ. You are also eligible to work in U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, China, and UK. Whereas, if you graduate from U.S. school, you're only eligible to work in U.S. and Canada.
  • During your 4th year, you do clinics in your home country AND Aus. to ensure your proficiency in each country's veterinary industry for when you become a working vet.
  • This is SUPER HUGE. USYD pays for any NAVLE prep you take when it comes to you taking the NAVLE (no other vet school does this. And NAVLE prep is like ~$400)
  • Every U.S. student who takes the NAVLE from USYD passes. They mentioned that their rates aren't at 100% because some of the Aus. students like to take the NAVLE without studying just to see if they'd pass and be eligible to work in U.S.
  • ANOTHER IMPORTANT POINT (and my favorite since I'm literally so scared of failing). A passing at USYD is 50% or higher. At any other vet school it is 70% or higher. This extra cushion is great since we learn a lot of material and allows us to actually learn the material for our patients' sake rather than for the exam grade.
  • During your 3rd year, you have to do a research project with a staff of your choosing, and you can basically publish a paper. This is great because in order to be board certified in the U.S. you need to have a paper published, and it is very rare to do this when you're in any other vet school. But with USYD you have the potential to graduate with a published paper, so you're already ahead of any other graduating vet.
  • First year is all anatomy, histology, physiology, basically all the -ologies. But starting second year it is case-based.
  • Another exciting point: Because of how the school year is set up- First semester in February, second semester in end of July- you get your full 4 years in, but you graduate a year earlier than other applicants this cycle, if that makes sense. Like, right now, you are schedule to be class of 2026 (graduating in May/June of 2026 at any other vet school). At USYD you would be class of 2025, graduating in December of 2025.
Thank you so much for this information! It has been truly helpful. I just have a couple of more questions if you do not mind asking.... Seems like you have already started. How was the adjustment to living in Australia and what made you to decide to go?

Thank you so much for this information! It has been truly helpful. I just have a couple of more questions if you do not mind asking.... Seems like you have already started. How was the adjustment to living in Australia and what made you to decide to go?
Just re-read your post from earlier this year, have you moved to Australia yet or you still doing the online courses in the states?

Just re-read your post from earlier this year, have you moved to Australia yet or you still doing the online courses in the states?
Nope. Unfortunately we’re still in Tennessee (with LMU). Hopefully we’ll be moving by January (we’re waiting our final class results to make sure we all passed before scheduling our flight).

*also I’d like to include that a few of those exclusive USYD perks i pointed out are primarily for U.S. students. Ei.) Only students who are from the U.S. get their NAVLE prep paid for by USYD since it is our home country and a requirement for licensing back at home. Those from China, etc. would have to pay for their own NAVLE prep since it is optional for you all, and USYD would not cover cost.

Nope. Unfortunately we’re still in Tennessee (with LMU). Hopefully we’ll be moving by January (we’re waiting our final class results to make sure we all passed before scheduling our flight).

*also I’d like to include that a few of those exclusive USYD perks i pointed out are primarily for U.S. students. Ei.) Only students who are from the U.S. get their NAVLE prep paid for by USYD since it is our home country and a requirement for licensing back at home. Those from China, etc. would have to pay for their own NAVLE prep since it is optional for you all, and USYD would not cover cost.

Ohh, so all the US international students are getting their courses taught online but hands on work in LMU? When you mentioned that your first year was online I thought you were just taking classes over zoom at home.

Ohh, so all the US international students are getting their courses taught online but hands on work in LMU? When you mentioned that your first year was online I thought you were just taking classes over zoom at home.
During our first semester everything was strictly online. For our second semester (starting July) international U.S. students were given the option to go to LMU for the semester to do our hands-on portion while we still took USYD classes online. If you opted against LMU option, you would not be allowed to move on to DVM2 since you wouldn’t have completed all the hands-on components from DVM1 and in order for you to move on, you have to finish all the classes from that year. So those of us who opted against moving to LMU for the semester were forced to defer for a year since their coursework would be marked incomplete. Canadian international students were given a similar option, however theirs were with the University of Saskatchewan. China, Singapore, and Korean students weren’t given a similar option, but were rather forced to defer since no Vet School in their home countries matched USYD’s curriculum and/or didn’t want to sign a contract at this time. Honestly, I’m super grateful we had the LMU opportunity because if it were any other uni, I don’t think they’d go out of their way to set up a contract with a vet school in our own country to ensure us not falling behind. Our contracts with the vet schools are only for semester 2 since that would align with (for example LMU’s) semester 1. Hope this clarifies a bit!

During our first semester everything was strictly online. For our second semester (starting July) international U.S. students were given the option to go to LMU for the semester to do our hands-on portion while we still took USYD classes online. If you opted against LMU option, you would not be allowed to move on to DVM2 since you wouldn’t have completed all the hands-on components from DVM1 and in order for you to move on, you have to finish all the classes from that year. So those of us who opted against moving to LMU for the semester were forced to defer for a year since their coursework would be marked incomplete. Canadian international students were given a similar option, however theirs were with the University of Saskatchewan. China, Singapore, and Korean students weren’t given a similar option, but were rather forced to defer since no Vet School in their home countries matched USYD’s curriculum and/or didn’t want to sign a contract at this time. Honestly, I’m super grateful we had the LMU opportunity because if it were any other uni, I don’t think they’d go out of their way to set up a contract with a vet school in our own country to ensure us not falling behind. Our contracts with the vet schools are only for semester 2 since that would align with (for example LMU’s) semester 1. Hope this clarifies a bit!
Yes this does! Thank you so much :)

Btw, if international students still can’t move to AUS this year, is there any plan B?

Btw, if international students still can’t move to AUS this year, is there any plan B?
It is very unlikely you won’t be back in Aus. this year. I think people are realizing COVID is a long term endemic and isn’t going away anytime soon. At most, there’s a possibility you’ll miss first semester but you should definitely be back by second semester. Plan B will be what we’ve been doing the last two years- online for first semester, and moving asap. I wouldn’t worry though, like I said. NSW lost a lot of money from not having internationals come in and they’re more reluctant to closing out borders again.

Any other international students hear back yet?

So I just got an email saying that the first round of offers were sent last week, and if you didn’t received one it means you’re waitlisted or rejected :)))

So I just got an email saying that the first round of offers were sent last week, and if you didn’t received one it means you’re waitlisted or rejected :)))
Did they say when you’d get an email to know if you’re waitlisted or rejected… I didn’t get that email for some reason

Is it possible to share a screenshot of the email for those of us that didn't receive it?

I had to email them. I didn't get a email automatically. Basically if u didn't get an acceptance last Monday you got wait listed.