University of Tennessee c/o 2017 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm getting anxious for you all!

Members don't see this ad.

I was sooo anxious yesterday. Even my boss at work told me to take time to check my email (phones are not allowed during work)...LOL!

I am waiting for an answer today.... Please don't let it be Friday!
PINS and NEEDLES TOO!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything? I think it's going to be tomorrow..

Has anyone heard anything? I think it's going to be tomorrow..

I'm thinking tomorrow as well. In the mean time, while waiting, I calculated the estimated debt plus interest for attending utk as an OOS student. Lets just say it wasn't pretty. :(

I'm thinking tomorrow as well. In the mean time, while waiting, I calculated the estimated debt plus interest for attending utk as an OOS student. Lets just say it wasn't pretty. :(

Hang on to that info, if I get in I'm gonna want it!

The anxiety is killing me! guessing it'll probably be tomorrow. Good luck to everyone!

The anxiety is killing me! guessing it'll probably be tomorrow. Good luck to everyone!

:( ugh!! Come on Friday!!!! I was really hoping for today! Well, guess that means only 24 hours for certain (?) this time! Good luck all :)

Blah. Friday, it is. At least I'll know in time for the color run on Saturday. :)

Rest easy, y'all... The business day is done. Tomorrow we know for sure! (I hope?!)

lol would you like to share that scary info? I've been trying hard to NOT worry about it because it's got to be done! but hit me with the number..I can't help myself.

A number $ for OOS Tuition...Get a bandaid and tylenol ready...

Woof. So I got really bored and decided to calculate how much OOS really is at UTK (because that sounded way better than studying for biochem). I used the numbers that justavet and hygebeorht put together here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13770348&postcount=220 . Found on the Estimated costs of veterinary school thread.

They did the hard part and took into account rise of cost of living and tuition for each year. I just added the two and figured out the interest for the direct stafford loan (6.8% and $40,500/year limit) and federal PLUS loan (7.9%) for each year. Here is the breakdown:

Year 1:
Tuition: $50,879. Living: $20,690
Interest on Stafford loan ($40,500) after 4 years: $11,016
Interest on PLUS loan ($31,069) after 4 years: $9,817

Year 2:
Tuition: $54,766. Living: $21,725
Interest on Stafford loan ($40,500) after 3 years: $8,262
Interest on PLUS loan ($35,992) after 3 years: $8,529

Year 3:
Tuition: $58,951. Living: $22,811
Interest on Stafford loan ($40,500) after 2 years: $5,508
Interest on PLUS loan ($41,262) after 2 years: $6,519

Year 4:
Tuition: $63,454. Living: $23,951
Interest on Stafford loan ($40,500) after 1 year: $2,754
Interest on PLUS loan ($46,905) after 1 year: $3,705

Totals on graduation day:
Tuition: $228,051
+Living: $89,176
+Interest: $56,110

$373,337:eek::eek::eek:

Just for kicks and giggles, I plugged that into a repayment calculator to see the monthly payment amount. A 10 year repayment plan would be $4,258/month. 30 year repayment plan is $2,412/month.

Disclaimer, I am a Tennessee resident, but I did something similar to this for OOS at Auburn and the number was just as scary. Also, at Auburn, they straight up told us that we'd be looking at over a quarter of a million dollar debt as an OOS student. At the Tennessee orientation, Dr. Brace talked about the difficulty of gaining residency but not about the cost of being OOS.

I'm also not the best at math, so please let me know if I made stupid errors.

Woof. So I got really bored and decided to calculate how much OOS really is at UTK (because that sounded way better than studying for biochem). I used the numbers that justavet and hygebeorht put together here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13770348&postcount=220 . Found on the Estimated costs of veterinary school thread.

They did the hard part and took into account rise of cost of living and tuition for each year. I just added the two and figured out the interest for the direct stafford loan (6.8% and $40,500/year limit) and federal PLUS loan (7.9%) for each year. Here is the breakdown:

Year 1:

Year 2:

Year 3:

Year 4:

Just for kicks and giggles, I plugged that into a repayment calculator to see the monthly payment amount. A 10 year repayment plan would be $4,258/month. 30 year repayment plan is $2,412/month.

Disclaimer, I am a Tennessee resident, but I did something similar to this for OOS at Auburn and the number was just as scary. Also, at Auburn, they straight up told us that we'd be looking at over a quarter of a million dollar debt as an OOS student. At the Tennessee orientation, Dr. Brace talked about the difficulty of gaining residency but not about the cost of being OOS.

Hey Crystal! What excel sheets did you use for this? I am trying to find them to compare a couple of schools, but there are multiple excel sheets listed in different threads and I want to use the correct ones. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Crystal! What excel sheets did you use for this? I am trying to find them to compare a couple of schools, but there are multiple excel sheets listed in different threads and I want to use the correct ones. Thank you!

I used the numbers from the latest revised spreadsheet on the Estimated Costs if Veterinary School thread. The post is here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13770348&postcount=220 and it can be found on page 5 on the aforementioned thread. I did not contribute to the making of that spreadsheet, but I think it is a really good reference. Not sure on the correctness, but I think it should give you a pretty good idea about how much tuition and cost of living will be going up for the next four years.

Year 1:

Year 2:

Year 3:

Year 4:

OWWW my pockets hurt already

Last edited:
Well, today's the day (hopefully) :scared: :eek: :) :scared: :thumbup: and :luck: (all at the same time!!)
Good luck everyone! Happy UT Decision Day!
Well, off to work, where I'll be anxiously waiting for the day to be over just so I can check my email every 2 seconds! :laugh:

Hey crystal I think your cost of living numbers are off. I was instate and live off of about 12000-13000 per year for cost of living. Rent is super cheap, TVA does the power for cheap, too

Hey crystal I think your cost of living numbers are off. I was instate and live off of about 12000-13000 per year for cost of living. Rent is super cheap, TVA does the power for cheap, too

:thumbup:

Think you can definitely live off 10-12k, esPecially if you have roommates and not adopt every animal that's advertised. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

I believe that is what the vet school determines is the cost of living in regards to how much loan money you qualify for. Meaning you don't have to take out the full $20k every year for living, but you could if you really felt like you wanted to. But I agree, you shouldn't need over $1600 a month to live on in Knoxville :)

Just a deal on beer from Mellow Mush. Whatever. I'm going to Keeneland. The email will be there when I get back. I'm gonna go gamble my nerves away and see some ponies run fast. Maybe I can pet one without gloves. That'll be nice...:luck:+pity+

I don't think the email will EVER COME.

I'm pretty sure they forgot about us all together

I'm pretty sure they forgot about us all together

I'm starting to think so too :(

Edit: spoke too soon...just got the email that I've been wait listed :-/

Last edited:
I have mail. Waiting till I'm at home to read.

I got wait listed. Does anyone know any information about how the wait list moves with this school? What are my chances?

I, too, was waitlisted... :/

I know they called both IS and OOS off the wait list well into June and July. The OOS moves more than the IS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

I was waitlisted as well....I sure hope that I get in! I will be praying, crossing my fingers, not stepping on any cracks, doing whatever I can if it means it increases my chances :)

I was accepted :) now I have a BIG decision to make!

Is everyone receiving their emails at the same time?

Me too!! OOS. I also have a big decision now. CSU vs U Tenn :(

I think that because of U Tenn's new facilities they are going to become much higher ranking. Plus the stuff with exotics is really great! But CSU is really great too..... This is going to be so hard!

Either way I want to join the army program. It looks like a great opportunity, I wonder if my chances of getting in would be different at a different school...

Depends on the year. My year being wait listed was as good as getting in

When you say it was good your year do you mean most people from the wait list got in? Also does anyone know how many people are wait listed?

Does anyone know if they will tell you your number on the wait list? I've been playing phone tag with admissions. At an airport so I missed the call when they called back :p

Does anyone know if they will tell you your number on the wait list? I've been playing phone tag with admissions. At an airport so I missed the call when they called back :p

I just emailed them to ask...I'll keep everyone posted if I hear anything :)

I just emailed them to ask...I'll keep everyone posted if I hear anything :)

Thanks. Ill post here if I hear back from her via phone and let everyone know any information about the wait list that I find out. I love this school so much and would love to go here. I thought it was tough having to wait until today, now I have to wait until potentially the first day of classes to know for sure! Eeeek!

Accepted!!! So so happy!!!!
:love::love:

:luck::luck: To those on the wait list!

Wait listed as well..man I really thought my interview went well :( here's to more waiting

:D Accepted. OOS. :thumbup:

Good luck to everyone on the wait list and those that may not have received an email yet!

Also accepted OOS! I'm definitely confirming my acceptance! Does anyone know if the letter to confirm the acceptance has to be physical letter mailed to Dr. Brace's office? Thanks! And good luck to those who are waitlisted!

Also accepted OOS! I'm definitely confirming my acceptance! Does anyone know if the letter to confirm the acceptance has to be physical letter mailed to Dr. Brace's office? Thanks! And good luck to those who are waitlisted!

Yes, it needs to be a physical letter to the school.

So I went ahead and created a facebook group for official acceptances. It can be found under the name University of Tennessee CVM c/o 2017.