University of Tennessee c/o 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For any current students at UT: I am looking to purchase a condo/townhome or home. We have narrowed down to a new home that is a 15 minute drive from campus without traffic or a new townhome that is 7 minutes to campus. The house is obviously larger with a yard we would fence in for pets. As far as finding roommates to rent, do you think the 15 minute drive is too long? Also, the townhome only has a one car garage so the rest is street parking in a cul de sac. Is that a deal breaker for renters in the area? Sorry for the detailed post. The area I am coming from has an entirely different real estate and rental market so I am at a loss! I would appreciate any input to take into consideration! :)
I don't think the street parking would be a deal breaker. Most students are going to want a shorter drive though, especially if that 15 minutes is without traffic. Not saying you wouldn't find anyone, but you'd have a better chance with the closer location, I would think.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think the street parking would be a deal breaker. Most students are going to want a shorter drive though, especially if that 15 minutes is without traffic. Not saying you wouldn't find anyone, but you'd have a better chance with the closer location, I would think.

Noted and appreciated, thank you!

Hey guys! Unfortunately, I'm in the market for a new laptop as mine has bit the dust. Previously had a Mac Air, but could be swayed away from the Apple-sphere. Any current students have recommendations for what system works best with the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Unfortunately, I'm in the market for a new laptop as mine has bit the dust. Previously had a Mac Air, but could be swayed away from the Apple-sphere. Any current students have recommendations for what system works best with the school?
Lots of people have Macs...the IT department does recommend PCs, because the hospital computer system you use for clinical year does not get along with Mac products at all. Also, IT is able to fairly easily work on PCs if they go haywire, which I've experienced before -- my laptop harddrive crashed (luckily under warranty), and I was able to get the new parts in the mail and drop off the laptop and all its bits at the IT office in the vet school and they had it fixed for me by the end of the day.

That being said, I have plenty of Apple-obsessed classmates that would rather use school computers for anything incompatible than bend to getting a PC, and that's fine too. There's absolutely no requirement when it comes to type of computer. You could take notes on a typewriter for all anyone cares.

The only place I could see it really mattering is for exams - they started using ExamSoft with the current first year class and I assume that will continue, so you'll want something that is compatible with that. I don't know anything about the program so can't really help you there...

Lots of people have Macs...the IT department does recommend PCs, because the hospital computer system you use for clinical year does not get along with Mac products at all. Also, IT is able to fairly easily work on PCs if they go haywire, which I've experienced before -- my laptop harddrive crashed (luckily under warranty), and I was able to get the new parts in the mail and drop off the laptop and all its bits at the IT office in the vet school and they had it fixed for me by the end of the day.

That being said, I have plenty of Apple-obsessed classmates that would rather use school computers for anything incompatible than bend to getting a PC, and that's fine too. There's absolutely no requirement when it comes to type of computer. You could take notes on a typewriter for all anyone cares.

Thanks so much for the info- seems PC route is the way to go with that level of IT support. Although now that you've planted the typewriter seed in my head...:rofl: