University of Tennessee Pharmacy Class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dss2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I had a couple of questions on how UT Pharmacy works in terms of switching campuses after the first year in Memphis. I have my interview coming up soon and I heard they make you pick which campus you want during interview day. I am out of state so I'm not really sure which city is better to pick. Is Knoxville campus better than Memphis campus? Are there any pro/cons?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh hey! Actually I believe they've changed it to picking a campus at the end of the first year! I'm only pre-pharmacy, but current students have told me some pros/cons of each campus. Memphis is great because there are tons of hospitals right there by the campus. Knoxville is smaller, both in size and class size, so it's easier to form relationships with professors (it's not too difficult in Memphis either, but in Knoxville the setup is just so convenient for it). You also get student tickets to Vol football games if you go to Knoxville. Nashville should also be interesting! It's new. All campuses are the same as far as quality of education go I believe. Where are you from?

Also, did you hear about a specific interview date? I just received a preliminary survey today. I'm hoping to hear about the actual interview soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh wow thanks I didn't know that! Yeah I had read posts from earlier years and thought I had to pick a campus the day of the interview. But good to know that I have time to decide haha.

&yeah my interview is October! Hope you get yours soon!

yay! Are you interviewing in October as well??

yay! Are you interviewing in October as well??

Yes! I'm excited! It says they'll go over how to choose a campus, so maybe we are choosing then? I just know last year's class didn't...

Reactions: 1 user
Yay!!! And does it really? I must've not read the whole email haha!

How are things? I had my interview this month and was accepted!

Congratulations!! Do you plan to attend?

I was also accepted! Were you guys at the October 5th interview?

&congrats to you both! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Thank you! I was there October 19th.

Yes, definitely! Which campus did you choose? I chose Memphis!

Hi! I'm jumping on this thread. I just received an interview, so can anyone tell me a little bit about this school and how the interview is like?
I'm not from Tennessee and live no where near it.

Hey! I was like you, very much out of state and had mine earlier in October! But it's very laid back and everyone is very nice! The interview is very conversational, But it's about 4 hours long and includes some presentations, writing an on-site essay a campus tour, and of course the interview. Good luck!

Hi! I'm jumping on this thread. I just received an interview, so can anyone tell me a little bit about this school and how the interview is like?
I'm not from Tennessee and live no where near it.

Hey! I was like you, very much out of state and had mine earlier in October! But it's very laid back and everyone is very nice! The interview is very conversational, But it's about 4 hours long and includes some presentations, writing an on-site essay a campus tour, and of course the interview. Good luck!

Ok great! Thanks! Do you know the chance of getting accepted? My stats is on the lower end so I am trying to see if I would make it through.

Ok great! Thanks! Do you know the chance of getting accepted? My stats is on the lower end so I am trying to see if I would make it through.
I'd say you probably have a good chance anyway! As long as your stats aren't extremely low. Do you have experience shadowing or working as a technician? Or have a family member who's a pharmacist? The main things they are looking for are good students who know what they are getting themselves into.

I think that UT does a really good job at looking at the holistic profile. And also a lot of what the students said was that if you've gotten to the point to where you have an interview, they already like you, so you just need to impress them in the interview and really show them why you want to be a pharmacist.

Okay sounds good! Thank you! How did you prepare for the interview? Did you just looked at the interview feedback on this site?

Mimkt, I think you are definitely good to go! just be able to explain why you want to be a pharmacist, what you understand about the career. Talk about your interests, be able to explain your favorite book (one guy on admissions in Knoxville always asks that-- he's awesome). They'll ask about your study and time management skills. In my interview, they had my application in front of them, asking questions directly about it.

Also, all of what I knew to prepare for my interview I was told by current students and administrators.

How was the interview? Any tips?

Where are you interviewing? Feel free to send a direct message if want. I interviewed in Knoxville, and it was good. They really grilled me on my shadowing experience, which I wasn't expecting, but other than that we really just talked about my interests and study habits. Good luck!

Hey guys!

I'm from out of state, and have my interview next Friday. Could anyone tell me about the campuses? Or do they tell you more about them at the interview?

Thanks for your help!

Hey guys!

I'm from out of state, and have my interview next Friday. Could anyone tell me about the campuses? Or do they tell you more about them at the interview?

Thanks for your help!

You'll get to hear about them the day of :)

what are everyone stats get itnerview?

Congrats! Thank you! I was there October 19th.
So you got accept on your interview day? I say your post your accept on October 19th and you also said you interviewed that day. Am I wrong? Thank you.

I interviewed last week and they told us they would call us that day with an update on our admission status. We would either be accepted, denied, or placed in a pool to be selected in April. I received a call a couple hours after the interview was over.

Yes, most people hear back a couple hours later, and they guarantee that you'll hear back within 1 day. So it might be the day after you hear, but everyone I know heard the day of.

Yes, most people hear back a couple hours later, and they guarantee that you'll hear back within 1 day. So it might be the day after you hear, but everyone I know heard the day of.
Hello, I have an interview next Friday at the Memphis campus. Is there any extra advice you may have and also how was the writing portion?

Do y'all think paying the out of state tuition to attend this pharm school is worth it? I'm worried about being extremely in debt after I'm done

is ut racist? 2 UT students told me so and left.

how does everyone like UT. Anyone ostate / istate?

Do y'all think paying the out of state tuition to attend this pharm school is worth it? I'm worried about being extremely in debt after I'm done

I'm in the same position as you! I really did like the program. I think they have a lot of things to offer that other schools do not. But I'm not sure if the tuition is worth it either..

I'm in the same position as you! I really did like the program. I think they have a lot of things to offer that other schools do not. But I'm not sure if the tuition is worth it either..

Did you end up choosing UT? I am still waiting on one last interview to UF and will decide after that but geez, this decision is stressing me out. lol

Did you end up choosing UT? I am still waiting on one last interview to UF and will decide after that but geez, this decision is stressing me out. lol

I am very stressed about this decision too! But I can't justify to myself paying double so if I get in my in state school I will probably go there.

If your state schools are ranked pretty well, I'd honestly prefer going there and paying less. It worked out for me that I live in Tennessee and the program is highly ranked. I considered applying to better-ranked programs but I knew I didn't want to pay that much out of state if I was accepted. Plus I know the people at UT and they're honestly amazing.

Hello, I have an interview next Friday at the Memphis campus. Is there any extra advice you may have and also how was the writing portion?
Sorry, I never got any alerts! Hope it went well! The writing portion isn't very serious.

If your state schools are ranked pretty well, I'd honestly prefer going there and paying less. It worked out for me that I live in Tennessee and the program is highly ranked. I considered applying to better-ranked programs but I knew I didn't want to pay that much out of state if I was accepted. Plus I know the people at UT and they're honestly amazing.

My state school is ranked a couple spots lower than UT, but not much. Honestly, if price wasn't a factor I would definitely pick UT.

Hey guys!

So I had a couple of questions on how UT Pharmacy (UTCOP) works in terms of switching campuses after the first year in Memphis. I have my interview coming up soon and I heard they make you pick which campus you want during interview day. I am out of state so I'm not really sure which city is better to pick. Is Knoxville campus better than Memphis campus? Are there any pro/cons?

I'm a University of Tennessee College of Pharmacy 2016 PharmD candidate (AKA I graduate this May). There are now 3 campuses available--Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville. I stayed in Memphis because I grew up here. If I didn't grow up in Memphis, Nashville, or Knoxville, I would likely have chosen Memphis since it is the main campus. Pro's include all ceremonies are in Memphis so you don't have to drive far, the Pharmacy building is new(er) and very nice (although I have no idea how the other sites facilities look), and there are many, many great rotations here in Memphis, but Knoxville and Nashville also has those as well. Lectures are done from each site so you'll have some lectures done with the presenter in person and some via live video.

They may be doing things differently now in terms of who goes where, but ideally all students get their preference locations. You may have heard of the dreaded "lottery," but that hasn't happened since the class before me.

Overall I love UTCOP! I feel extremely honored and fortunate to be apart of such an amazing program!

is ut racist? 2 UT students told me so and left.

how does everyone like UT. Anyone ostate / istate?

I would say University of Tennessee College of Pharmacy is absolutely in no shape or form racists; in fact I believe UT does a pretty great job in promoting and embracing diversity.
Side note--There are 2 UTs-University of Tennessee and University of Texas.

I'm a University of Tennessee College of Pharmacy 2016 PharmD candidate (AKA I graduate this May). There are now 3 campuses available--Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville. I stayed in Memphis because I grew up here. If I didn't grow up in Memphis, Nashville, or Knoxville, I would likely have chosen Memphis since it is the main campus. Pro's include all ceremonies are in Memphis so you don't have to drive far, the Pharmacy building is new(er) and very nice (although I have no idea how the other sites facilities look), and there are many, many great rotations here in Memphis, but Knoxville and Nashville also has those as well. Lectures are done from each site so you'll have some lectures done with the presenter in person and some via live video.

They may be doing things differently now in terms of who goes where, but ideally all students get their preference locations. You may have heard of the dreaded "lottery," but that hasn't happened since the class before me.

Overall I love UTCOP! I feel extremely honored and fortunate to be apart of such an amazing program!

Thanks for the insight!

Does anyone have any idea about the apartments around the campus? Which one will be the safest apartment?

Hey guys! I got invited for an interview december 8th for the 2018 school year, and I was wondering what your experience with the interview was like? I know this thread is concerning the class of 2020 and if accepted I'll be class of 2022, but I couldn't find any other threads connected to UT.