University of Tennessee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentUVA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for information on the UT Memphis program aside from what is available through the university website and scutwork.com. Does anyone have first hand experience with this program?

Also, is there a dedicated site for students interested in ophthalmology (similar to orthogate.org for orthopaedics)?

I appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

As a current resident at UT I can speak honestly about the program. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

In general, the program is strong and faculty are dedicated to resident education. The department is energetic and growing steadily, and our new facilities are impressive.

Clinically, the patient population presents amazing diverse pathology. The hospitals draw from a large geographic area but with the benefits of a large academic infrastructure. Our clinical experience is very competitive regionally and nationally, I believe.

At the end of the day, its a nice place to be an ophthalmology resident.

Again, send me any specific questions.

I interviewed there last year so I'll tell you my opinion. They now have good facilities, I think they were very spread out in the past so now that is fixed as best I could tell. Surgery numbers were solid, esp plastics. If you like plastics they have excellent faculty there and I think have an ASOPRS fellowship. They have an amazing wet lab with a surgery simulator. Overall it is a nice program that I think is getting better. Oh they also are strong in peds if I remember right.

Some cons might be the town if you don't like Memphis, I for one love it so that wasn't a problem for me. Also there is some very nice areas of town close to the med center but I don't know if you can afford them on a residents salary.

Hope this helps.