University of Texas at Austin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well at least one spot is available... there was a girl on fb that decided to go to UH instead.

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes all, more times most, always some. At least 7 names were pulled off the list into the class last year; the list is usually no more than 15 names long.

Sometimes all, more times most, always some. At least 7 names were pulled off the list into the class last year; the list is usually no more than 15 names long.
lol...meaning...no one knows :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well what I'm saying is if you're 7th or less in line on the waitlist don't pack your bags for Amarillo, Houston, or Kingsville quite yet. You may not hear back until as late as July but your chances are still good. Beyond 7th especially towards the tail end of the line in the teens I would warm up Plan B.

i've been looking at possibly living at the arboretum next year. Is that too far away from campus? How is traffic coming from/ going to that area?

i used to live out there, its a bit of a drive (~15 min from what I remember) and you wont want to be coming or going during rush hour. But, if you plan on going to campus and staying all day then I think it would be fine.

and you wont want to be coming or going during rush hour.
Given the pharmacy class schedule (8am/9am classes; labs ending anywhere from 3pm-6pm) you'll probably actually end up driving a lot in rush hour. The properties up by the arboretum are very comfortable and more affordable, but it might be pain.

well, once again, same old boring question: So, what is up with the financial aid process for all of you, incoming P1 students? Have any updated? I'm starting to worry because I intend to buy a new car the end of this month and go out looking for housing in Austin pretty soon, yet now I still don't know how much I can have as student loan....my CASH status still says I'm ineligible for aid due to the whole grad-undergrad confusion, even though the office assured me i'm now classified as graduate student, and student loans will be offered... I hate going to private banks, but seems that might be the last option when everything else doesn't work well...

Any P1 girls looking for housing? I'm a P2 next yr and looking for roommates, so let me know if anyone is interestedd.

well, once again, same old boring question: So, what is up with the financial aid process for all of you, incoming P1 students? Have any updated? I'm starting to worry because I intend to buy a new car the end of this month and go out looking for housing in Austin pretty soon, yet now I still don't know how much I can have as student loan....my CASH status still says I'm ineligible for aid due to the whole grad-undergrad confusion, even though the office assured me i'm now classified as graduate student, and student loans will be offered... I hate going to private banks, but seems that might be the last option when everything else doesn't work well...

It only says you are ineligible because they are trying to figure everything out. Most likely, you will get plently of aid when everything gets straightened out. I am having the same issue. Hopefully they will get it figured out before August. I know it is frustrating, but I think it unlikely that you would need private loans once the financial aid office gets it all figured out.

Hey Mike, how much financial aid did you receive(--not so much dollar amount)? Was it enough to pay for tuition/books AND living?

Be patient with the financial aid. UT is notoriously slow.

Hey Mike, how much financial aid did you receive(--not so much dollar amount)? Was it enough to pay for tuition/books AND living?

Here is a link I posted for someone else that should give you an idea of how much UT thinks you need to live off of. I got enough the first year to cover COA according to UT. For graduate aid, go to the link on the right side of the page. Also, this if for 2007-2008 info. It might be a little different for next year.

http://finaid.utexas.edu/costs/070undergradcosts.html

My cost of living is higher than UT estimates, because I do not have a roommate, I have my own car, etc. (UT assumes roommate and public transportation). I supplemented my financial aid with work.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I calculated:
This is per semester for 2007-08.
$400+$4288+$470+$1150 = $6308 per semester you would get on top of your tuition getting paid IF your EFC (Estimated Family Contribution) is Zero.
If your EFC is not zero what you'd get would be $6308 - EFC = your money
My only concern at this point is that due to the financial market meltdown student loans drying up. I know it's mostly private loans affected, but I've heard that it might start affecting federal loans as the funds dry up. UT waiting till the last minute doesn't help. I called them last week and all they told me was they were running behind and they had just finished processing incoming freshmen.

Out of curiosity, are most of you planning to live on campus, or in apartments?

So, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I calculated:
This is per semester for 2007-08.
$400+$4288+$470+$1150 = $6308 per semester you would get on top of your tuition getting paid IF your EFC (Estimated Family Contribution) is Zero.
If your EFC is not zero what you'd get would be $6308 - EFC = your money
My only concern at this point is that due to the financial market meltdown student loans drying up. I know it's mostly private loans affected, but I've heard that it might start affecting federal loans as the funds dry up. UT waiting till the last minute doesn't help. I called them last week and all they told me was they were running behind and they had just finished processing incoming freshmen.

I think you are right. If your EFC is zero, you should get the total on the right of that table. If your EFC is not zero, I am not exactly sure how it works, but what you said in you post makes sense. That is how I imagine it would work anyway.

Here is a link I posted for someone else that should give you an idea of how much UT thinks you need to live off of. I got enough the first year to cover COA according to UT. For graduate aid, go to the link on the right side of the page. Also, this if for 2007-2008 info. It might be a little different for next year.

http://finaid.utexas.edu/costs/070undergradcosts.html

My cost of living is higher than UT estimates, because I do not have a roommate, I have my own car, etc. (UT assumes roommate and public transportation). I supplemented my financial aid with work.

Mike36 - Just curious... Do you find it difficult to work while attending school. I am gearing up to begin pharmacy school at UH, and I'm very concerned about working. I have a house and bills and I don't think I will be able to live solely off financial aid. Any advice?

Mike36 - Just curious... Do you find it difficult to work while attending school. I am gearing up to begin pharmacy school at UH, and I'm very concerned about working. I have a house and bills and I don't think I will be able to live solely off financial aid. Any advice?

Congrats on UH! Yeah, it really sucks to work while in school. I dislike working as a pharm tech more than as a lab tech. My pharmacy job is all day every Saturday, so no matter how sucky the week has been, it doesn't end until Saturday evening. You can imagine that I really do not want to do anything on Sunday, which is bad if I have a test the next week. Hopefully, I can get in my 200 hours this summer, so that I don't have to do the pharmacy job anymore after this summer.

It is easier for me to work as a lab tech because I make more than twice as much as I do at the pharmacy and I can do it early mornings before class. That means I can work a lot during the week without working weekends. Also, looking through a microscope beats the hell out of ringing up the rich clientelle we get at the pharmacy.

Only a few people work and the ones that do like mike do it once a week prob. max. That one day makes a difference though. For just starting out I'd say take a break from work until you're settled and then reconsider if you can handle the workload. Some people find the change easy others a little more difficult. HOOK 'EM.

Thanks Mike36 and Lateralus :) I'm a medical technologist like you, and it is very tempting to keep at least a part time position. But... I will definitely be very cautious before committing to anything.

Go Longhorns! You guys have the coolest shirts! The brown, white skull in the middle one! You know what I'm talking about :thumbup:

Hey, I was just seeing if anyone out here is looking for a roommate? I'm thinking about living in Far West, mostly because the bus runs regularly and drops off right in front of the pharmacy building. I was thinking about staying by myself, but if anyone is considering this area too, maybe we can room together and save some money! If you're interested, let me know. I'm living in Austin, and can go apartment hunting anytime.

If there's anyone out there...

I just got my Finanial Aid Notification and it says the Cost of Education for the 2008-2009 academic year is calculated to be $25,538. This is a little more than I thought it would be... though I wasn't including living expenses, but could someone (mike36, lateralus1441, anyone???) please tell me how much they paid for tuition and books last year? They offered me pittance for the unsubsidized stafford loan which I thought was fine cause I really didn't think that tuition and books would be more than $12,000/year but now I'm not too sure with this COE that they've calculated for us. Can anyone shed some light on the real COE (minus living expenses)?

I just got my Finanial Aid Notification and it says the Cost of Education for the 2008-2009 academic year is calculated to be $25,538. This is a little more than I thought it would be... though I wasn't including living expenses, but could someone (mike36, lateralus1441, anyone???) please tell me how much they paid for tuition and books last year? They offered me pittance for the unsubsidized stafford loan which I thought was fine cause I really didn't think that tuition and books would be more than $12,000/year but now I'm not too sure with this COE that they've calculated for us. Can anyone shed some light on the real COE (minus living expenses)?

So how long did it take for them to process your financial aid? I think I submitted my FAFSA to them mid April....

So how long did it take for them to process your financial aid? I think I submitted my FAFSA to them mid April....

I submitted it right before the deadline... then I got a letter saying I wasn't eligible because I have a degree already, so had to fill in a special form and send that in to get it reconsidered and then last week I got an email saying how much I can borrow. They really are stingy with how much they let you borrow... especially subsidized. It's like, gee thanks UT for really helping me out :rolleyes:

Anyone know if north campus a relatively safe part of Austin?

Yes, it is a relatively safe part of Austin. I prefer North Campus over West campus because of the construction, noise, and overwhelming number of parties. I retired from all that.

Hey, I was just seeing if anyone out here is looking for a roommate? I'm thinking about living in Far West, mostly because the bus runs regularly and drops off right in front of the pharmacy building. I was thinking about staying by myself, but if anyone is considering this area too, maybe we can room together and save some money! If you're interested, let me know. I'm living in Austin, and can go apartment hunting anytime.

That's kinda far out!

The first year, tuition was a little over $5,000. Add in books, and I probably spent around $11,000. I think tuition went up this year to $6,000 though.

Out of curiosity, how did you guys fulfill your prerequisites into pharmacy school? I'm guessing most of you went ahead and got a bachelor's degree?

The first year, tuition was a little over $5,000. Add in books, and I probably spent around $11,000. I think tuition went up this year to $6,000 though.

Thanks... that's what I thought. I don't know where they came up with $26,000!

Out of curiosity, how did you guys fulfill your prerequisites into pharmacy school? I'm guessing most of you went ahead and got a bachelor's degree?

I graduated with a B.S. in Clinical Laboratory Science in 2005 with no intentions of going to pharmacy school...never even crossed my mind. When I decided to apply, I was only missing one pre-req...I took it at community college.

Has anyone ever been accepted into the pharmacy school, but rejected by the undergraduate school for the transfer application? Just curious.

anyone heard anything from fin. aid? I just talked to them after receiving the "not eligable for aid for 2008/09" message on CASH. They told me not to worry, starting this year, the new rule is that everyone will be awarded as a graduate, even in the 1st 2 years and that they'll start awarding at the end of June. Keeping my fingers crossed..

anyone heard anything from fin. aid? I just talked to them after receiving the "not eligable for aid for 2008/09" message on CASH. They told me not to worry, starting this year, the new rule is that everyone will be awarded as a graduate, even in the 1st 2 years and that they'll start awarding at the end of June. Keeping my fingers crossed..

I got mine about 2 weeks ago.

I got awarded too! I just accepted the award online, the finaid package hasn't arrived yet...since I graduated back in May from my university, my status has been classified as graduate student. The aid comes mostly in the form of sub/unsub Stafford loan and grants for grad students.

I got awarded too! I just accepted the award online, the finaid package hasn't arrived yet...since I graduated back in May from my university, my status has been classified as graduate student. The aid comes mostly in the form of sub/unsub Stafford loan and grants for grad students.

tharper14 and sherlockRX, did you guys do your undergrad at UT? I'm just trying to figure out how you have been awarded already. I just talked to Miguel at fin. aid, who is in charge of awarding pharm students, and he said everyone will be awarded by early July. Meanwhile my CASH still says 'not eligable for aid'.

@ fixlittlepeople: I did my undergruate at different school. I made a trip down to Austin on Friday 2weeks ago to talk to Mr. Miguel too, and my CASH status changed later on the same day...So, keep checking your status! I believe it'll be updated very soon for everyone....

I didn't go to ut for undergrad. I did have to fill in a special form to get permission to do another undergrad degree, kind of weird, but got my FA not long after that. I would call FA if I were you. July does seem a little late...

thanks guys, if nothing happens by the end of June I'm going to go down and pay a personal visit. but even after we get awarded, we won't see the money until class starts...but the peace of mind is what I'm looking for.

We just got an email saying that the financial aid office should be done processing pharmacy students the first week of July.

Finally it came through, i guess it was worth bugging the head guy in charge ;). No more worries about $$$. Yey!!

So, I am applying for the upcoming year and was wondering if anyone else was extremely stressed over the 10 or so essays that are required for admission. Whatever happened to a simple personal statement?

stressed? no. annoyed? a little bit. but it was well worth it. if you want in, just start early, revise a lot until they are perfect and you should be golden. good luck!

So, I am applying for the upcoming year and was wondering if anyone else was extremely stressed over the 10 or so essays that are required for admission. Whatever happened to a simple personal statement?

I only had to write two essays: Why UT and Why pharmacy. Are there more if you didn't do your undergrad at UT?

yeah there are i think 2 additional essays for the application for undergrad. whether or not they actually read them, i don't know. I think it's more for the completion of the undergrad application.

Given the pharmacy class schedule (8am/9am classes; labs ending anywhere from 3pm-6pm) you'll probably actually end up driving a lot in rush hour. The properties up by the arboretum are very comfortable and more affordable, but it might be pain.

I live in that general area, for classes I would plan on an hour from my door to the pharmacy building. The actual drive was only 15 min, but then when you factor in parking, waiting for the bus to take you to campus from Disch-Falk to the main campus, then walking to the building, it takes almost an hour in total.

If you don't want to drive, Far West is a good option, plus housing there is pretty cheap.