University of Texas at Austin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do we new students have to wait until orientation to register for fall classes? And when will we be able to purchase parking permits?

Members don't see this ad.

Do we new students have to wait until orientation to register for fall classes? And when will we be able to purchase parking permits?

Yes. The advisors will actually register for you, so you don't have to do anything for registration, just pay on time. You can potentially buy a parking permit now, but I know you can within a few weeks before school starts either online or in person at the parking office.

Is it worth to buy $500 S-permit to park anytime in university garages? I heard some of the garages closest to PHR building are going under construction right now, so it won't be an advantage to park there anymore (?). And how far is the walk from a typical C-class lot to Pharmacy building? I actually also consider taking the shuttle from my apartment in Riverside to class. Please share your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend just taking the riverside shuttle. Youll be taking a shuttle from the C lots anyways, theyre pretty far from the pharmacy building.

The only downside to the housing area shuttles is the reduced service at night, and the last shuttle generally is around 11.

Is it worth to buy $500 S-permit to park anytime in university garages? I heard some of the garages closest to PHR building are going under construction right now, so it won't be an advantage to park there anymore (?). And how far is the walk from a typical C-class lot to Pharmacy building? I actually also consider taking the shuttle from my apartment in Riverside to class. Please share your thoughts!

It takes me about 15 minutes to walk to and from the C lots everyday. I think there are buses you can take from the C lot to campus, but I never looked into that. I think the C lots are around $80 for the year. I wouldn't pay $500 for a permit, but it's up to you.

I really hope that ESB construction isn't too loud for the next four years... :-\

hello,
I am going to start taking my prepharm courses at UT this fall. I took some dual credit courses at my high school in the past years. Some that are prerequistes such american history and some that are not such as anatomy and physiology. My question is will these courses count towards my gpa that the pharmacy school looks at when they are considering admission or does it just transfer as credit, because I got a little senioritis and ended up with an 89 last semester for anatomy.(which sucks if it counts towards my gpa since its not even a prerequisite)
Thanks.

i think you get to choose if you claim the credit or not, and I do not believe you can get a grade for your GPA anymore, at least not for AP credit.

I do not know how dual credit works.

hey did ut end up changin the curriculum for P1 students??

Hey Mike36, I was hoping you could give me an estimate of what you spent for your textbooks for your first year--trying to come up with a budget. Thanks for your help

Hey Mike36, I was hoping you could give me an estimate of what you spent for your textbooks for your first year--trying to come up with a budget. Thanks for your help

I dunno...probably about 500 each semester. I like to buy my books new, so you can probably spend a lot less getting used books.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying for fall 2009 and have started my essays for both entrance into the undergrad program and pharmacy school. They dont specify on how many words the undergrad essays have to be. If anyone has any ideas on the length it would be appreciated.

If you are submitting your essay online, it must be no longer than 120 eighty-character lines of text (including spaces and blank lines).

That's for the undergrad essays, and it's all the information I could find in my essay file for last year. Anyone else know if there was a limit for the pharmacy essays?

When I applied for Fall 2007, the limit for the two pharmacy essays was 400 words. I assume it hasn't changed...

thank you for the response.

Does anyone know the website where students at UT and in austin can post used books and also buy?

For the labs for P1 year, do they usually last the full time they are alotted in the course schedule, or is it more of a "just kind of depends on the day" kind of thing?

the coop also has a used book classified page, but last I checked none of the books we need were listed

For the labs for P1 year, do they usually last the full time they are alotted in the course schedule, or is it more of a "just kind of depends on the day" kind of thing?

It will depend on the lab and your TA, but I was out of most of mine in 1.5 hrs every week.

Did anyone here apply from out of state and get in? I can't seem to find the courses needed for institutions outside of Texas, so should I just contact UT and the other schools I'm interested in to find out the prerequisites?

Does completing your 2 years - 4 years of undergrad at UT increases the chances of getting into UT's pharmacy school?

UT's tuition and housing cost too much for me (even though I'm in-state), so I'm considering doing my undergrad at a nearby university.

I went to another school different from UT, yet still made it. And I guess a lot of my classmates are the same. I don't think going to UT or not matters in admission, as long as you do great job at the school you choose to go to...the only thing I can think of is that going to UT makes the process of transfering course work easier.

Thanks, sherlock. For financial reasons, I guess I'll be choosing the university that offers more financial aid.

Does anyone know when round one of admissions ends? I want to submit my application in order to be in the first round of applicants for UT, but at the same time, I want to wait as late as possible in order to allow the pharmacist I'm working for to know me well enough to write a good LOR.

Regarding the UT application: In order to complete the COP application we have to first complete the application to the university itself as an undergrad student. To what extent do the two essays required for the undergrad application have on an applicant receiving the Pharmacy application and/or being accepted into UT Pharmacy school?

In other words, are these two essays required as part of the undergrad application really that important in UT's ADCOM making a decision about an applicant?

Anyone have any insight on this, or should I just suck it up and make these essays as important as the essays required for the pharmacy school application?

Does anyone know when round one of admissions ends? I want to submit my application in order to be in the first round of applicants for UT, but at the same time, I want to wait as late as possible in order to allow the pharmacist I'm working for to know me well enough to write a good LOR.

I'm a P1, and last year, the first decisions were made around the middle of February, about two weeks after the first round of interviews. UT doesn't do rolling admissions in the sense that you can get accepted before the deadline. The deadline for everyone is February 1st. (At least it was last year!) If you want a shot at first round interviews, I would recommend turning in your stuff as soon as possible, but especially before January. good luck!:)

Regarding the UT application: In order to complete the COP application we have to first complete the application to the university itself as an undergrad student. To what extent do the two essays required for the undergrad application have on an applicant receiving the Pharmacy application and/or being accepted into UT Pharmacy school?

In other words, are these two essays required as part of the undergrad application really that important in UT's ADCOM making a decision about an applicant?

Anyone have any insight on this, or should I just suck it up and make these essays as important as the essays required for the pharmacy school application?

The essays for admission to the University of Texas have nothing to do whatsoever with the application to the College of Pharmacy. The pharmacy adcom won't look at those, as far as I know.

So I have a 3.25 current cum GPA. I'm a 3rd year undergrad going for a BS in Human Biology before I apply. I'm volunteering at a hospital pharmacy, and will be volunteering for 40 hours / week over the summer (I don't really need money right now so I thought I'd make a good impression with this). I don't plan on making anything less than 90% on PCAT. I just really want to know if I have a good chance getting in to UTexas with that GPA if I have a bunch of volunteer hours in a pharmacy. That's like working full time, right? I'm trying to bring my GPA back up before I graduate. So far I have 12/15 A, 3/15 B credit hours this semester. Also, I'd like to know how much of an advantage having a BS degree gives me. My permanent address is in Austin, too, if that matters. I doubt it, though.

Last edited:
Sadly I recommended ParK Ave Place to live close to Pharm School. After much help to the management with advertisement, she turned totally psycho when I had to leave. DO NOT RENT FROM THIS PSYCHO MACHELLE. She is totally bipolar and will flip on you when you leave. I did so much work for her (handing out flyers, recommendations, etc) and when I left she acted like I was a stalker/harasser since I wanted my security deposit and modem deposit back. Avoid the headache and rent elsewhere. I am sorry I ever recommended this godforsaken place.

Wow this is an old thread, but it destroyed my confidence on getting in. I have around a 3.34 overall GPA and some volunteer and extracurriculars. No Pharm Exp yet, but will do some this year. This is also my last year, so I am going to take the PCAT. I'm definitely going to try and get above a 90. But ya that's about it. Everyone else seems to have all this hardcore stuff with research and 100s of hours of pharm volunteering and 98 PCAT scores O_O.

Here are my stats..and I got an interview so far.

3.1 GPA
80%tile PCAT
~700 hours tech experience
~140 hours volunteering in various parts of a hospital
bachelors degree in human biology (yeah i'm all old and stuff, 4 years undergrad before applying)
0 research experience

I'm in my second year at UTSA. My current GPA is 3.42. I should be done with all my pre-reqs by the end of next fall. I decided to finish my degree in Biology then apply to UT. I have 0 hours of any volunteer experience, but I plan to change that this semester and in the summer.

So I was wondering how you guys scored you're first time on you're PCAT which I plan to take in next January.

Wow this is an old thread, but it destroyed my confidence on getting in. I have around a 3.34 overall GPA and some volunteer and extracurriculars. No Pharm Exp yet, but will do some this year. This is also my last year, so I am going to take the PCAT. I'm definitely going to try and get above a 90. But ya that's about it. Everyone else seems to have all this hardcore stuff with research and 100s of hours of pharm volunteering and 98 PCAT scores O_O.

Come on over to the other thread so we can keep only one going so everyone can see the information.

But don't be discouraged...it's way too early for that. Just study your ass off for the PCAT and go from there. It can be done. I know there are people in my class that don't have the highest stats or a ton of experience in anything besides school.

Has anyone been accepted to UT from out of state? If so, do you mind telling me your stats?

Has anyone been accepted to UT from out of state? If so, do you mind telling me your stats?

I just moved to Texas from Louisiana and my current resident status is still out of state. I just got an email yesterday with an interview invitation. :thumbup: