University of texas health science center at houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dam272

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, any information of the anesthesiology residency program at University of Texas health science center at Houston will be highly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a resident there, I think I posted about it before, feel free to message me.

Overall, clinically very strong, you will do lots of cases and see sick patients, you should be clinically very competent by the time you get out.

You will spend most of your time at Memorial Hermann Hospital where you will see lots of sick patients, especially trauma cases (fresh traumas as well as washouts and ortho cases). May be the busiest trauma center in America, Lifetime did a show about our trauma here You'll need to learn how to be fast, massive tranfusion, etc.

UT's program is based out of Texas Medical Center, the biggest medical center in the world. Looks like a second sky line. It is also where Drs. DeBakey and Cooley practiced and home to MD Anderson cancer center.
CV Experience is AWESOME, including Memorial Hermann with available electives at Methodist Hospital and Texas Hearth Institute. You'll do standard CABs and valves, and also ECMO, LVADs/RVADs, Cardiac Tumors, Heart and lung Transplants, everything. Our faculty make it a point to teach TEE to anyone interested.
Pedi experience is great with main rotation at Memorial Hermann with possible elective at Texas Children's Hospital, one of the top 3 pediatric hospitals nationally.
OB and regional are both great, I easily hit my numbers for blocks and epidurals within my first month of each rotation, and nearly had enough spinals too. We do all regional blocks, from bread and butter extremities and TAPS to paravertebrals, serratus anterior, parasternals, I even did some inferior alveolar nerve blocks for mandible fractures. I think I've tripled my minumum block numbers already, still have one full month of regional to go !!
Neuro experience is great, you will do cranis and spines within the first month of starting residency, and also get aneurysms. Memorial Hermann is also a huge stroke center, with CT's on ambulances, etc, so you will get to spend some time in the neuroradiology suite as well.
I'm personally doing an ICU fellowship, and had great experience throughout residency, including MD Anderson ICU, Memorial Hermann Trauma ICU, Neuro ICU, and Methodist CVICU.
I met minimum requirements for all cases during CA2 year, so I'll going to blow all of the minimums out of the water by the time I graduate.
Currently doing a thoracic anesthesia rotation at MD Anderson, putting in multiple double lumen tubes a day.

Overall I think it's a great clinical program. Like I said, you'll do a bunch of great cases and be clinically ace by the time you graduate. The program leadership (Dr. Gubmert, Williams, Nwokolo, Guzman, etc) care alot about the residents and want to make sure you get a good education. I'm not a native Houstonian, but found it a good city, relatively cheap compared to other big cities and pretty laid back.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a resident there, I think I posted about it before, feel free to message me.

Overall, clinically very strong, you will do lots of cases and see sick patients, you should be clinically very competent by the time you get out.

You will spend most of your time at Memorial Hermann Hospital where you will see lots of sick patients, especially trauma cases (fresh traumas as well as washouts and ortho cases). May be the busiest trauma center in America, Lifetime did a show about our trauma here You'll need to learn how to be fast, massive tranfusion, etc.

UT's program is based out of Texas Medical Center, the biggest medical center in the world. Looks like a second sky line. It is also where Drs. DeBakey and Cooley practiced and home to MD Anderson cancer center.
CV Experience is AWESOME, including Memorial Hermann with available electives at Methodist Hospital and Texas Hearth Institute. You'll do standard CABs and valves, and also ECMO, LVADs/RVADs, Cardiac Tumors, Heart and lung Transplants, everything. Our faculty make it a point to teach TEE to anyone interested.
Pedi experience is great with main rotation at Memorial Hermann with possible elective at Texas Children's Hospital, one of the top 3 pediatric hospitals nationally.
OB and regional are both great, I easily hit my numbers for blocks and epidurals within my first month of each rotation, and nearly had enough spinals too. We do all regional blocks, from bread and butter extremities and TAPS to paravertebrals, serratus anterior, parasternals, I even did some inferior alveolar nerve blocks for mandible fractures. I think I've tripled my minumum block numbers already, still have one full month of regional to go !!
Neuro experience is great, you will do cranis and spines within the first month of starting residency, and also get aneurysms. Memorial Hermann is also a huge stroke center, with CT's on ambulances, etc, so you will get to spend some time in the neuroradiology suite as well.
I'm personally doing an ICU fellowship, and had great experience throughout residency, including MD Anderson ICU, Memorial Hermann Trauma ICU, Neuro ICU, and Methodist CVICU.
I met minimum requirements for all cases during CA2 year, so I'll going to blow all of the minimums out of the water by the time I graduate.
Currently doing a thoracic anesthesia rotation at MD Anderson, putting in multiple double lumen tubes a day.

Overall I think it's a great clinical program. Like I said, you'll do a bunch of great cases and be clinically ace by the time you graduate. The program leadership (Dr. Gubmert, Williams, Nwokolo, Guzman, etc) care alot about the residents and want to make sure you get a good education. I'm not a native Houstonian, but found it a good city, relatively cheap compared to other big cities and pretty laid back.

Wow. That sounds amazing. Your post has gotten me really inspired about the program, especially coming from first-hand experience
About the city, how costly is it? I mean is it possible to rent an apartment all by yourself at a resident's pay?
How are the working hours? (on an average)
Work environment? (friendly,supportive?)
Encouragement for research?

Wow. That sounds amazing. Your post has gotten me really inspired about the program, especially coming from first-hand experience
About the city, how costly is it? I mean is it possible to rent an apartment all by yourself at a resident's pay?
How are the working hours? (on an average)
Work environment? (friendly,supportive?)
Encouragement for research?
It's Houston. One of the cheapest cities in America. You can afford to live alone if you are willing to live outside the medical center. Hell you can probably live there too for about a thousand a month for a one bedroom. Just don't expect it to be fancy.

I hear horror stories about traffic there. I've got a family so I'll definitely be renting or buying a house. How far would I have to live from the med center to find something affordable? I'm talking 3+ bedrooms. I am hesitant about this program only because I don't want to spend my life sitting in traffic because the only affordable homes are a 30+ minute drive away.

It's Houston. One of the cheapest cities in America. You can afford to live alone if you are willing to live outside the medical center. Hell you can probably live there too for about a thousand a month for a one bedroom. Just don't expect it to be fancy.
it may be cheap for a major city, but it's still a major city. living close to the medical center either requires $$$ for a nice place or sacrificing comfort for convenience; finding a nice, affordable place puts you a little further away which means you get to deal with traffic. lots of traffic.

Essentially the same thing I said.
it may be cheap for a major city, but it's still a major city. living close to the medical center either requires $$$ for a nice place or sacrificing comfort for convenience; finding a nice, affordable place puts you a little further away which means you get to deal with traffic. lots of traffic.

Our classes are big, I think 24 residents /class. Most of us live near the med center, but there are a few people that commute since they have bigger families. Usually you're fine getting to work in the am since we work early, but it can take 30 min - an hour to get home, depending on where you live. So it all depends on the trade-off you want to make.

Sounds like a great program with no deficiencies. Better than some "top" programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I hear horror stories about traffic there. I've got a family so I'll definitely be renting or buying a house. How far would I have to live from the med center to find something affordable? I'm talking 3+ bedrooms. I am hesitant about this program only because I don't want to spend my life sitting in traffic because the only affordable homes are a 30+ minute drive away.
I actually just withdrew my application. Can't bring myself to take on the traffic. I HATE commuting.

there are several programs (including mine) where residents can live comfortably with multi-bedroom houses. I can't imagine many of them are in or around big cities so plan accordingly.

For fellowship I'm going from a 2.5 bedroom/2 bath to a small 1 bedroom apt with an office. Just how it goes.

Thats amazing. Didnt know it could be this cheap.
Though I am concerned about this program's fellowship match. I heard most end up going to PP

Though I am concerned about this program's fellowship match. I heard most end up going to PP
The amount of graduating residents going into fellowships has increased over the past few years. From what I recall from my interview day, 17 of 24 graduating residents matched into Fellowship this year. All subspecialties had good representation.

That can be good or bad. Maybe they are getting PP offers that they can't refuse.

There are other options in Houston - If you are interested more in academics and research opportunities/fellowships, Baylor has a very strong program in town. Their subspecialty rotations are at Texas Children's and THI. Too notch in the South, and I know we have some SDN members from that program who speak quite highly.

do you feel like you have enough time to study for the ITE? I have concerns about the residents that didn't pass and how it was handled?

do you feel like you have enough time to study for the ITE? I have concerns about the residents that didn't pass and how it was handled?

The answer to this question isn't going to make the program look good.

The problem is when the program is that big, there is due to have some bad apples statistically. I don't know if i would use it to judge the program.

A better question would be: what are your weekly hours like during your CA years? (that tells you how much time a resident would have time to study).

Also, I checked my block numbers and I have 79 blocks with 40 min. Have one month of regional left.
Is that an incredibly high number? The average resident at my program finishes with between 200 or 300 blocks. And we're not a massive medical center.

What's the average around the country?

Is that an incredibly high number? The average resident at my program finishes with between 200 or 300 blocks. And we're not a massive medical center.

What's the average around the country?

My program is regional heavy. Most residents here graduate with around 400 blocks. I'm sitting at around 300-350 now, and I'll probably graduate with closer t0 450.

My program is regional heavy. Most residents here graduate with around 400 blocks. I'm sitting at around 300-350 now, and I'll probably graduate with closer t0 450.

Just curious if you’re doing 400 blocks what’s the breakdown? Do you have a busy ortho hand or arthroscopy service?

Just curious if you’re doing 400 blocks what’s the breakdown? Do you have a busy ortho hand or arthroscopy service?

Yea, very busy ortho. Bunch of total joint and other ortho rooms every day between the main and ambulatory ORs, plus we have a very busy orthopedic surgery center. Get anywhere from 6-12 blocks a day when over there, so do a couple months there during residency and you get slick. Probably 100-150 Fem/Adductor/Sciatic blocks, 150-200 supraclav/ax/interscalene. Then throw in a few infraclav, peripheral UE blocks (distal median, distal radial, etc), Pecs, paravertebrals, TAPs, rectus sheaths, etc makes up the rest. Eye blocks for those interested, too, though there typically isn't a whole lot of interest with those from the residents.

Not saying you're lying but the ACGME 95th percentile for regional is around 200 blocks. I'm sure that number is skewed in part by people under-reporting but that's more than double the 95th percentile. Pretty impressive if you guys are getting that many blocks

I like how bragging about Texas Heart Institute and Texas Children's is your pitch for UT Houston. Those are Baylor affiliates across the street... just saying. Debakey and Cooley were at THI. Texas Children's is fantastic. Maybe you should be at Baylor COM?

Not saying you're lying but the ACGME 95th percentile for regional is around 200 blocks. I'm sure that number is skewed in part by people under-reporting but that's more than double the 95th percentile. Pretty impressive if you guys are getting that many blocks

Definitely skewed because of under-reporting. In any area, the further beyond the ACGME minimum requirement you go (and the more senior you become), the less motivation you have to log everything. That applies to me, too, which is why I gave a range of how many I've done so far. But residents from my program graduate with no less than 300-350, even those that don't seek out blocks like I have.

I like how bragging about Texas Heart Institute and Texas Children's is your pitch for UT Houston. Those are Baylor affiliates across the street... just saying. Debakey and Cooley were at THI. Texas Children's is fantastic. Maybe you should be at Baylor COM?

You’re mostly right. DeBakey and Cooley were together at Methodist but had a pretty epic split and Cooley went to (and founded) what became THI.

But you are right about the rest, and the information in this thread is outdated. The UT Houston residents no longer rotate at THI and TCH (perhaps some seniors can do TCH if they push hard), they get cardiac at Methodist/Hermann and Peds at Memorial Children’s. Baylor’s affiliates are THI and TCH.

I know a few current residents at UT Houston’s program. They are worked very, very hard. I’ll let others comment on specifics, but it’s not easy. They come out very strong and get great exposure and training, but are largely exhausted.

Last edited:
Where do you get that data for percentile? I'm always interested as far as how programs rank.

I think some case minimums are incredibly easy to get and always wondered what the real numbers are.

Where do you get that data for percentile? I'm always interested as far as how programs rank.

I think some case minimums are incredibly easy to get and always wondered what the real numbers are.

It’s sent out by the acgme every year to the program directors. I don’t think it’s public data honestly. There is definitely an issue w under reporting. I know our program’s avg epidural number was something in the 40s or 50s. The minimium is 40. We get 40 epidurals and/or spinals in 3 weeks on OB usually

You’re mostly right. DeBakey and Cooley were together at Methodist but had a pretty epic split and Cooley went to (and founded) what became THI.

But you are right about the rest, and the information in this thread is outdated. The UT Houston residents no longer rotate at THI and TCH (perhaps some seniors can do TCH if they push hard), they get cardiac at Methodist/Hermann and Peds at Memorial Children’s. Baylor’s affiliates are THI and TCH.

I know a few current residents at UT Houston’s program. They are worked very, very hard. I’ll let others comment on specifics, but it’s not easy. They come out very strong and get great exposure and training, but are largely exhausted.

And then on interview day they say "average of 55 hr/wk".

Ya they said that leadership changes and what not have lead to "bettering the program hours". Can anyone expand on this? Without increasing the number of residents how would the work hours drastically get better of 1-2 years? I am really interested in UTH and none of the residents I talked to seemed too overly worked and burned out. Wondering if my theme of interviews has been the "workhorse" programs

You are correct in that UT Houston elected to pull their residents from THI this year. The amount of cardiac done at our own institution and at TMH made this an unneeded rotation. This has allowed us to increase flexibility on other rotations. The opportunity exists to rotate through there on an elective basis.

Further, UT residents still rotate through TCH every month and we continue to send residents there every year for fellowship. Interested residents can do electives in pedi CV as well at TCH. TCH is an elective monthly rotation for those interested in pediatrics and who want to see it at a different institution. TCH definitely has a bigger name in the academic world, however, the acuity of cases is very comparable to the two institutions if not superior at Hermann. That being said based on name alone I would still go to TCH for fellowship.

For work hours, the average through residency is 50-55 hours. Some rotations you will only work 40 hours per week and in other rotations you will work more. It is residency.

Ya they said that leadership changes and what not have lead to "bettering the program hours". Can anyone expand on this? Without increasing the number of residents how would the work hours drastically get better of 1-2 years? I am really interested in UTH and none of the residents I talked to seemed too overly worked and burned out. Wondering if my theme of interviews has been the "workhorse" programs

Increased number of Attendings and also increased number of Anesthesia Assistants. Anesthesia Assistants now cover portions of weekend calls that were previously done by backup weekend residents. Also, some weekend shifts which were previously required have been switched to shifts with moonlighting pay.

Sorry, haven't been checking this thread regularly since I'm busy with fellowship.

Like UrbanAchievers said, UT Houston did pull out of THI this year, so that information was accurate when it was posted but has changed now.

I thought we did a fair number of blocks, don't remember how many I graduated with but it was probably around 120, not counting neuraxials. Some people had more than I did. Def felt like I could do blocks in PP if I went that way.

I think it's true UT people work hard, and our dept was not as academic as some others. The real strength is clinical, I think we prob have top 5 trauma nationally (heard of PROPPR anyone?), and get plenty of Neurosurgery, CV, OB, peds to go around. We don't run our own ICU, but have good relationships with Trauma and Neuro ICU people who have good staff (Brian Cotton is a trauma legend), and our CCM contingency has been growing under George Williams' leadership.

With even a little initiative, I think you will come out of UT Houston well trained and ready to do big cases. Also, I love most of the core faculty there and think of them like extended family. The leadership cares about the program and I only see it getting better and better.

Also, regarding being overworked: I think the majority of UT residents probably voluntarily moonlight for extra shifts - they honestly fill up pretty quickly.

Regarding fellowship match, I think more than half of the last graduating class is doing fellowship. Here are some of the matches:
Peds: TCH, UCLA, George Washington
CV: UT Houston, UT Houston (they really wanted to stay despite lots of choices), Mt Sinai, Emory
CCM: Vandy, UPMC, Loma Linda
Pain: 3 fellows all went to MD Anderson
Pedi CV: Emory
Regional: Stayed at UT
I think we had 2 people who applied for CV who didn't match, as far as I know.

Overall I think we did well and most people are happy with the programs they went to.

From talking to baylor residents, I think we did more hours, but not a huge difference. I think the Baylor name holds more weight in academic circles, so that can help if you're trying to do fellowship at Stanford or MGH, although I think you could still go there from UT if that's really what you wanted. I liked working with their residents (as well as UTMB) and most did well in the OR.

Can someone comment on MD Anderson's pain program? I don't have much information about it but based on what I hear it is not very intervention-intensive.

Also, regarding being overworked: I think the majority of UT residents probably voluntarily moonlight for extra shifts - they honestly fill up pretty quickly.

Regarding fellowship match, I think more than half of the last graduating class is doing fellowship. Here are some of the matches:
Peds: TCH, UCLA, George Washington
CV: UT Houston, UT Houston (they really wanted to stay despite lots of choices), Mt Sinai, Emory
CCM: Vandy, UPMC, Loma Linda
Pain: 3 fellows all went to MD Anderson
Pedi CV: Emory
Regional: Stayed at UT
I think we had 2 people who applied for CV who didn't match, as far as I know.

Overall I think we did well and most people are happy with the programs they went to.

From talking to baylor residents, I think we did more hours, but not a huge difference. I think the Baylor name holds more weight in academic circles, so that can help if you're trying to do fellowship at Stanford or MGH, although I think you could still go there from UT if that's really what you wanted. I liked working with their residents (as well as UTMB) and most did well in the OR.

Don't you mean, "Peds: CHLA*"? Miss you buddy. We had the best class.

Can you comment on call hours for CA1 vs CA2 etc?

Can you comment on call hours for CA1 vs CA2 etc?

Better question would be hour breakdown by year.

Some interviewees stated the UTHouston program director tried to let people believe 55 hr /week average because someone logged only 55 hours. That felt a bit dishonest, as i know there is no way in hell that UT Houston is only working 55hr/week. Someone please confirm or deny, ranklists are finalized already anyways.

Some interviewees stated the UTHouston program director tried to let people believe 55 hr /week average because someone logged only 55 hours. That felt a bit dishonest, as i know there is no way in hell that UT Houston is only working 55hr/week. Someone please confirm or deny, ranklists are finalized already anyways.
Confirmed, they actually put a timecard up with average hours per week for a CA-1 and CA-3. Average was 52.5/wk and 55 if I remember correctly. On the other hand, seemed like everyone was doing moonlighting, so there must be *some* time...

Confirmed, they actually put a timecard up with average hours per week for a CA-1 and CA-3. Average was 52.5/wk and 55 if I remember correctly. On the other hand, seemed like everyone was doing moonlighting, so there must be *some* time...

I was wondering if any current residents could chime in on the actual hours worked.

@wickedskillz , @lilchu22

Current resident. I would say overall a CA-1, who will be in the main ORs will work on average about 60 hours. We work 16.5 hour weekday calls and 24.5 hours sat/sun calls. Of course during weeks you have a sat or sun call, you will have close to 70 or more hours if you did not have a weekday call with pre and post call days off. Over the course of the entire month, its about 60. A bad month, like december will be close to 65.

CA-2 and 3 years are better because you arent in the main ORs so much.

Reactions: 1 users

I can vouch for PD integrity, no dishonesty involved. Most likely she was just showing what numbers people logged. It's a big program, not everyone logs perfectly.

Hours average out between more intense rotations (main OR, especially in November /December) and more chill rotations (acute pain, OB). Neuro ICU is probably worst where you'll actually work almost 80 hours on a bad week. Main OR (maybe 30%?? of your total time, more as CA1) you'll probably do close to 55 to 65 depending on the week, sometimes less. Serniors are relieved from main OR before juniors after precall and post late residents get out. Rarely you'll have weeks on sub specialities where you do 40 hours or a little over. Our CA3 year was a snake draft where you can draft your schedule.

If I tried to tell you an average number I would be making it up. Maybe 55-60 as senior and 60-65 as CA1? I didn't really keep track.

Whatever the PD showed, I imagine that's exactly what the residents bothered to log on their own volition.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, didn't think about the interpretation of my post. The PD is definitely 100% for resident satisfaction and she is continually opening up dialogue to address any issues that residents may have. The hours that were shown during interview day are directly from what residents report. With the heterogeneity of rotations the overall hours of all residents will be in the 50s.

Dr Williams is so bad ass- he’s like my spirit animal!

A few questions for current residents or those with info:
How is the intern year at UT-Houston?
How many hours do you work on average per week?
Are there advanced spots?