University of Texas Medical Schools - Texas Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedProdigy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any out of staters move to Texas to attend medical school? What are the rules for gaining Texas residency? I've heard its a little trickier than in most states.

Members don't see this ad.

Option 1: Residency through High School Graduation

This option for establishing Texas residency is available to citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. and to international students.
To establish residency through high school graduation, you must
  1. Graduate from a Texas high school or receive a GED in Texas; and
  2. Live in Texas for the 36 months immediately before high school graduation; and
  3. Live in Texas for the 12 months immediately before the census date (usually the 12th class day) of the semester in which you enroll at UT Austin (or another college or university).
If you are an international student seeking residency through high school graduation, you must submit a Residency Affidavit stating that you will apply for permanent residency when you are eligible to do so.
Option 2: Residency by Establishing Domicile

This option for establishing Texas residency is available to
  • Citizens or permanent residents of the US (Non-citizens and non-permanent residents may also use this option if they have an application for permanent residency on file with the US Citizenship and Immigration Service.)
  • International students who hold an eligible visa.
If you are independent for tax purposes, you may gain resident status if you establish domicile in the state. If your parent(s) claim you as a dependent on their federal income tax return, they must establish domicile in the state for you to claim residency.
To establish domicile, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:
  1. Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months; and
  2. Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months by doing one of the following:
  • <LI sizset="17" sizcache="6">Be gainfully employedin Texas (Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment.) <LI sizset="18" sizcache="6">Own residential real property in Texas
  • Own a business in Texas
  • Have a state or local license to practice a profession
  • Be married for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas
Updated 30 November 2010 | Top | Next: Frequently Asked Questions &#8250;

FRom http://bealonghorn.utexas.edu/residency/establishing/ but should be close.
**Google search

Members don't see this ad :)
As an OOS student, I received $1000 scholarships which automatically gave me in-state tuition at both UT and TT. I'm not a resident, but it's as good as being one as far as I'm concerned. Also - when I interviewed at Baylor, I was told that if you buy property, you become a resident after one year. So, if you buy something before 1st year classes begin, you end up paying in-state tuition during years 2-4.

As an OOS student, I received $1000 scholarships which automatically gave me in-state tuition at both UT and TT. I'm not a resident, but it's as good as being one as far as I'm concerned. Also - when I interviewed at Baylor, I was told that if you buy property, you become a resident after one year. So, if you buy something before 1st year classes begin, you end up paying in-state tuition during years 2-4.

True but its also much more difficult to gain admission as an OOS.

True but its also much more difficult to gain admission as an OOS.

This is very true. I applied this year as an in state who moved here during college. It is important that you move to Texas one year prior to the application deadline (Oct. 1) NOT when you plan on enrolling. If you plan on applying during the next cycle you need to have been living and working in texas as of October 1, 2010. This will allow tmdsas to consider you in state and greatly increase your odds of admission.

In other words, you would have to live there for 12 months before you apply.

Now stop making new threads.

This is very true. I applied this year as an in state who moved here during college. It is important that you move to Texas one year prior to the application deadline (Oct. 1) NOT when you plan on enrolling. If you plan on applying during the next cycle you need to have been living and working in texas as of October 1, 2010. This will allow tmdsas to consider you in state and greatly increase your odds of admission.

Good point.

NOT when you plan on enrolling. If you plan on applying during the next cycle you need to have been living and working in texas as of October 1, 2010. This will allow tmdsas to consider you in state and greatly increase your odds of admission.

The big thing here is you must be working and not in school- you can't establish residency while in school full time without a job. I went for the OOS scholarship waiver- I had above average GPA/EC's but below average MCAT and still got several Texas interviews... but I did live in Texas for 15 years so the ties were very strong.

The big thing here is you must be working and not in school- you can't establish residency while in school full time without a job. I went for the OOS scholarship waiver- I had above average GPA/EC's but below average MCAT and still got several Texas interviews... but I did live in Texas for 15 years so the ties were very strong.

can you be working full-time and taking a few classes part-time? Or no classes period?

can you be working full-time and taking a few classes part-time? Or no classes period?

I'm not 100% sure but I would lean towards a no- I remember when I looked at transfering to an undergrad university in Texas they said that when you started classes you were classified as either in or out of state and that stuck with you til you graduated. I wouldn't take my word on that as it was about 6 years ago or so and I didn't really push for answers because I didn't want to pay OOS tuition when I was on a full tuition scholarship in my home state.