University of Texas San Antonio Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I remember the days of neurotically posting on SDN...actually, it was about this time last year!

Just want to say congrats on your acceptance. If you have any questions about UTHSCSA or anything related to med school, feel free to PM me :thumbup:

Can't wait to meet everyone! Any SA natives or people living nearby that are up for a social sometime soon?! It would be great to know a few faces before school sets in! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all of those with early acceptances and good luck to all of the upcoming matchers!! I have accepted my pre-match offer to UTHSCSA and I can't wait to meet all of my future classmates. I wish we could get started now.

Last edited:
So does anyone know where med students typically live? I want to live within walking distance or if not a very short drive to campus. I dont recall talking about housing to med students during my interview day. Any help or links would be very much appreciated.

Hey everybody! Congrats on your acceptance. Cant wait to get started.

Pre-matchers: Do you believe that after the match, the amount of correspondence from our school will pick up? It still seems not real. Maybe they have been waiting until the class is more-or-less set before delving into too many specifics, so that they could do it all at once.

Thoughts?

Pre-matchers: Do you believe that after the match, the amount of correspondence from our school will pick up? It still seems not real. Maybe they have been waiting until the class is more-or-less set before delving into too many specifics, so that they could do it all at once.

Thoughts?

Yes, I think you are right. They still need to update the information online for newly admitted students as well. I think they are going to send material to everyone at one time shortly after the match. I know what you mean, it kind of feels like we are stuck in limbo right now.

BUMP- Let's get some school spirit going.

I have received a couple of emails in the last two days, I love it!! I'm starting to feel more like this is real. Can't wait to meet you all on April 2-3.

Members don't see this ad :)
YEP! It really is starting to feel real. Can't wait for welcome weekend!

I hope they send us some info. on what they are going to cover for welcome wkend... and where to stay that wkend too!

Have yall already filled out your FAFSA...? If I could catch a breath between school and working, I would get mine done!!

I hope they send us some info. on what they are going to cover for welcome wkend... and where to stay that wkend too!

Have yall already filled out your FAFSA...? If I could catch a breath between school and working, I would get mine done!!

Ya, that was my goal this week. I rushed through taxes two weeks ago so I could start on it. I hope there are no issues with it. It would be nice to get a little more info. Anybody email the student reps from class of 2013? I think they sent an email out about it yesterday.

Ya, that was my goal this week. I rushed through taxes two weeks ago so I could start on it. I hope there are no issues with it. It would be nice to get a little more info. Anybody email the student reps from class of 2013? I think they sent an email out about it yesterday.

I just got my W-2 yesterday... My to-do list is getting longer--but it's a good to-do list to have to be finally getting ready for med school--that's for sure.

Also, I did end up e-mailing the Class of 2013 people with some questions.. Hopefully, they will get us all some info pretty quick!

Also, I did end up e-mailing the Class of 2013 people with some questions.. Hopefully, they will get us all some info pretty quick!

Are your questions of the personal nature or will you be receiving answers that you won't mind sharing?

Last edited:
Are you questions of the personal nature or will you be receiving answers that you won't mind sharing?

Haha--Just random questions... :) I'll post here as well... If anyone has these answers, that would be great. And, if I hear back from my e-mail, I will definitely post the answers --

I was trying to find out how Welcome Weekend works... Does it start Friday morning? If so, is it worth missing school and work... Also, what types of things go on during welcome weekend--is it mainly informational or social..? Will they suggest places for us to stay with reduced rates, etc?

I also asked whether there is a roommate match. I have a dog that I'll be bringing to SA so It would be great to find a house to lease with a roommate--I wanted to see if that is something feasible for the area (leasing an affordable house). Also, when is the best time to move?

Last edited:
Haha--Just random questions... :) I'll post here as well... If anyone has these answers, that would be great. And, if I hear back from my e-mail, I will definitely post the answers --

I was trying to find out how Welcome Weekend works... Does it start Friday morning? If so, is it worth missing school and work... Also, what types of things go on during welcome weekend--is it mainly informational or social..? Will they suggest places for us to stay with reduced rates, etc?

I also asked whether there is a roommate match. I have a dog that I'll be bringing to SA so It would be great to find a house to lease with a roommate--I wanted to see if that is something feasible for the area (leasing an affordable house). Also, when is the best time to move?

Welcome Weekend will start on Friday evening with a social event probably at a restaurant near campus. It is totally worth missing work for, at least a half day. Saturday is mostly informational with a tour of several housing options near campus in the afternoon. There is somewhat of a roommate match at Welcome Weekend. Last year people looking for roommates had a blue dot on their name tag. You will have plenty of time to mingle with your future classmates and hopefully find a roommate if you are looking for one.

Housing is cheap in San Antonio. There are plenty of houses for lease and apartment complexes nearby. The White Coat Ceremony will be in late July so I would move sometime in June/July.

If any of you are considering doing the Pre-matriculation and have some questions about it, let me know. I did it last year. It's a great program, and you will get to know several of your classmates and your way around campus before classes start.

If any of you are considering doing the Pre-matriculation and have some questions about it, let me know. I did it last year. It's a great program, and you will get to know several of your classmates and your way around campus before classes start.

Thanks for the info! I'm wondering if it would be better to take the pre-matriculation program vs. taking time to relax/trying to work some before school starts?

I will finish a master's program at the beginning of May--we have taken lots of relevant classes.... biochem, cell bio, immuno/micro, physiology, pharmacology, gross anatomy, & other classes.... but, I'm sure we haven't gone into the same depth as a medical curriculum would... any advice? I'm wondering if maybe it would be a program to establish a faster pace for students or if it is intended for students who haven't had certain classes??

Thanks for any help you can provide!:)

Here's some info. I got back from my e-mail to the students.... very similar to what we have heard so far--but I thought I would share regardless.. just in case.

"The purpose of Welcome Weekend is really twofold: to help you begin to learn your way around the school and community, and to give you an idea of what to expect in the coming months. You are given a LOT of information about apartments and housing, and you have the opportunity to explore student groups at our organization fair. You will have the opportunity to stay with a medical student for that weekend if you like. Otherwise, there will be a few locations recommended to you (where you stay is ultimately up to you--I'd stay with a med student bc it's free and you can see what it's like). You will receive an itinerary for Welcome Weekend in the next few weeks, which will tell you when events start and end for the weekend. There is a roommate match available to you--it will be illustrated to you in the letter you receive."

Also, I'm thinking from the facebook invite that the Friday night social starts around 7 pm---anyone know how long it goes for? I probably won't get to SA until around 9 due to traffic on the drive and having to leave at 4.

Hey Zyme,
This is the first time Ive heard of a prematriculation program. Could you elaborate a little on it for me. What exactly it is and approximately how long does it last? Is it kinda like a head start on material we will be learning the first few months? If so, will it replace any of the required classes.

-Thanks

Hey Zyme,
This is the first time Ive heard of a prematriculation program. Could you elaborate a little on it for me. What exactly it is and approximately how long does it last? Is it kinda like a head start on material we will be learning the first few months? If so, will it replace any of the required classes.

-Thanks

The Prematriculation program (Premat for short) is a program that starts 2 weeks prior to the White Coat Ceremony. It is taught by MSIIs that took the program the previous year. It will give you a head start on material that you will see in the first module. You will also get to meet the course directors of each course and be able to ask them questions. There are several social events, and you will get to know several of your classmates before orientation. Our campus can be kind of confusing, as I'm sure you all remember from your interview. This program gives you the chance to navigate campus before actually starting classes. You will get the heads up on what books to buy, or not to buy, get IDs and parking passes, find the scrub machine, and have everything in line before most of your classmates. Plus, Dr. Henzi rocks.

I quit my job 6 weeks before the program started and felt like I had plenty of time to relax before classes started.

The Prematriculation program (Premat for short) is a program that starts 2 weeks prior to the White Coat Ceremony. It is taught by MSIIs that took the program the previous year. It will give you a head start on material that you will see in the first module. You will also get to meet the course directors of each course and be able to ask them questions. There are several social events, and you will get to know several of your classmates before orientation. Our campus can be kind of confusing, as I'm sure you all remember from your interview. This program gives you the chance to navigate campus before actually starting classes. You will get the heads up on what books to buy, or not to buy, get IDs and parking passes, find the scrub machine, and have everything in line before most of your classmates. Plus, Dr. Henzi rocks.

I quit my job 6 weeks before the program started and felt like I had plenty of time to relax before classes started.

Bump: Sounds interesting, I didn't know anything about this program

I am highly interested in this program as well. Can we expect more information on this at some point?

Thanks a bunch. When does the application open or who do we talk to, do you know?

I have no clue--maybe Zyme can say more... I'm sure if you called/e-mailed the admissions ppl, they would have more info.

It sounds like a great program, but I hope they will tell us more at the welcome weekend in April.

I have no clue--maybe Zyme can say more... I'm sure if you called/e-mailed the admissions ppl, they would have more info.

It sounds like a great program, but I hope they will tell us more at the welcome weekend in April.

I just spoke with the Office of Academic Enhancement and they alerted me that more information will go out sometime in May and no later than June. And, I am sure they will give us more information at Welcome Weekend as well.

I just spoke with the Office of Academic Enhancement and they alerted me that more information will go out sometime in May and no later than June. And, I am sure they will give us more information at Welcome Weekend as well.

I don't remember specifically when we received info on it last year.

Bump!

#1 school!!

Roger that! It's been dead in here. Anybody get the email today?

Yes!! It's feeling more and more official as time goes on and correspondence picks up!

Pretty quiet over here! I asked some questions to mgirl & I thought y'all may be interested in some of the things she said..

Anatomy:
--dissect twice a week, Mondays and Thursdays. Usually 2 hours of lecture, then lab from 2 until you finish
--dissections both days, there are not really any review days--but almost everyone does tutoring in their lab group w/ a TA once a week. that's a great review time
--DO TUTORING! Get a hold of a TA early so you can set it up with them for a time every week
--Practicals are short answer
--You don't pick your group, you are with people next to you in the alphabet

Lectures:
--10 minute breaks between each lecture
--lecture days are long--podcasts/syllabi make it easier to determine what lectures to go to and which to go over independently
--you'll get into a routine pretty quickly and figure out how to get things done that you want to do
--the majority of days aren't mandatory; so if there's something you absolutely have to get done you'll have a chance
--*My personal favorite*--most of the teachers are easy to understand--not too difficult with accents blunting their English and such... thank goodness!

In other news--Anyone on spring break yet? We don't get one.. *sigh* I guess I will have to get used to that! :)

Pretty quiet over here! I asked some questions to mgirl & I thought y'all may be interested in some of the things she said..

Anatomy:
--dissect twice a week, Mondays and Thursdays. Usually 2 hours of lecture, then lab from 2 until you finish
--dissections both days, there are not really any review days--but almost everyone does tutoring in their lab group w/ a TA once a week. that's a great review time
--DO TUTORING! Get a hold of a TA early so you can set it up with them for a time every week
--Practicals are short answer
--You don't pick your group, you are with people next to you in the alphabet

Lectures:
--10 minute breaks between each lecture
--lecture days are long--podcasts/syllabi make it easier to determine what lectures to go to and which to go over independently
--you'll get into a routine pretty quickly and figure out how to get things done that you want to do
--the majority of days aren't mandatory; so if there's something you absolutely have to get done you'll have a chance
--*My personal favorite*--most of the teachers are easy to understand--not too difficult with accents blunting their English and such... thank goodness!

In other news--Anyone on spring break yet? We don't get one.. *sigh* I guess I will have to get used to that! :)

This is great information. Thank you for sharing.

Official UTHSCSA email address!! Heck ya!!

Quick question/verification: In the email from the Registrar's office on March 9, it stated that there will be documents that must be completed and mailed back to the institution at specified addresses. But in the email I got on Wednesday, I just received a badge number, username, and email address, nothing to mail back in. Was that the same for you guys? .

Quick question/verification: In the email from the Registrar's office on March 9, it stated that there will be documents that must be completed and mailed back to the institution at specified addresses. But in the email I got on Wednesday, I just received a badge number, username, and email address, nothing to mail back in. Was that the same for you guys? .

Same for me JT.

Cool, thanks you two.

LOL with the occasional input from Zyme

I know.. that's strange... seems like some other Texas medical school c/o 2014 threads have more ppl on them------but oh well!!

Another thing to look forward to at SA: the gym is open 24/7!! Crazy late-night work-outs, here I come. :woot:

It's the little things... haha

Do either of you know if Welcome Weekend pretty much ends on Saturday--or do people go out on Saturday night as well?? I am trying to figure out whether to drive back Saturday evening or Sunday.

Maybe our fanaticism will be an indication of our medical school academic success, LOL!

The 24/7 gym is always a great asset. But, I am a member of 24 Hour Fitness and I always have said if I was up late I would just go workout, well...it has never happened. I will continue to hopefully think though. I am glad that will still be an option in SA.

As far as Saturday at Welcome Weekend, I haven't heard. My friend who is a MS1 didn't give me any indication, I will try to remember to ask him the next time we talk.

The 24/7 gym is always a great asset. But, I am a member of 24 Hour Fitness and I always have said if I was up late I would just go workout, well...it has never happened. I will continue to hopefully think though. I am glad that will still be an option in SA.

I am at LA Fitness now--which I love--except it closes early esp on wkends & I am a late night work-out person esp when studying... haha, not a good match!

If you find anything out--that would be great.

I can't let you three be the only ones...so I'll jump in! I can't wait to get to SA! I locked my apartment up a week or so ago while I happened to be in town.

As far as I understand I think welcome weekend is over by Saturday, but I could be wrong.

I can't let you three be the only ones...so I'll jump in! I can't wait to get to SA! I locked my apartment up a week or so ago while I happened to be in town.

As far as I understand I think welcome weekend is over by Saturday, but I could be wrong.

Glad to have another person! Sweet--the wolf pack is expanding.. Hangover anyone? (haha--please tell me you've seen it!)

Nice job being on top of things! Did you check out a lot of places? I'm hoping Welcome Weekend takes care of that for me. :xf: I don't live close enough to keep going back to SA before I move down there. :(