University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SDN-Jim

University of Texas
Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Boulevard
Dallas, TX 75235

Admissions: 214 648 2670 http://www.swmed.edu/h

Deadline: 10/15
In State Tuition: 7000
Out-of State Tuition: 20000
Number of Students: around 805
Average MCAT: 11

Please post any experiences you have with this school.

This is part of the big guide at http://www.studentdoctor.net

Members don't see this ad.

I will be a student here in the fall. Here is some info. I came across on their web page. Anyone else going to be there this fall?

Southwestern Medical School ranks among the top medical schools in the country. Our faculty is of the highest quality in the areas of the basic sciences, the clinical sciences, and in clinical medicine. Science Watch recently identified Southwestern as the second most cited American university/medical center in journal articles related to biology and biochemistry; seventh in its impact on fellow scientists with regard to molecular biology and genetics. Southwestern Medical School is the only medical school in the world that has four Nobel laureates on its faculty. Similarly, Southwestern Medical School is among the country's leaders in terms of membership in other honorific scientific organizations such as the National Academy of Sciences, the Association of American Physicians, and the American Society of Clinical Investigation.

UTSW is a good school. Congratulations! Did you apply to Baylor? What is your opinion about Baylor?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I did apply to Baylor. I really liked it as well. One of the major factors in my choosing SW was location. I am from the Dallas area. So, at Southwestern I can be at a great school AND close to friends and family. I have a friend who is a first year at Baylor. He seems very satisfied w/ it.

Hi TX Gal! I guess I will see you there in the fall!!

Southwestern:

1: FACULTY: AWSOME!
2: STAFF: STUDENT AFFAIRS DEANS: WALLER AND WAGNER: U WILL BE SURPRISED!! I can't believe many people think Southwestern students are cut-throat blah..blah. They are very friendly. They make their senior video together. The faculty actually dances in the video..and play roles...how many schools do that? The student affairs makes sure that the kids are happy..they come in every other week..and throw M&Ms into the crowd, and ask for any grievances...

3: MONEY!!! The school is loaded: GO OILRIGGERS IN DALLAS!! GO ROSS PEROT!!

4: RESEARCH: Well LOOK ABOVE NO: 3!!!

5: COME! I am there!

Peace. Txgirl, you said you got into UTSW. If you dont mind, can you tell me your gpa/mcat/etc. I'm a junior premed at UT Austin and I'm going to apply to all the Texas schools and I was just wondering what a ballpark figure would be of getting in. I know everyone is different and all people are different, etc. I was just wondering. If it's too personal, I understand. Thank you.

I liked it best out of all the TX schools including baylor -- see you guys there in august!

Hi souljah. Since this is all anonymous, I don't mind posting stats.

I had a 4.0 from a little-know private, religious school and a 33 (11/11/11) on the MCAT. I had a little shadowing experience and NO research whatsoever. I did have some various volunteer stuff (teaching English for a summer overseas, Ronald McDonald House, etc.)

I interviewed at every TX med school and was accepted to both Southwestern and Baylor. So, it is possible - even w/out a "perfect" application.

Austinite and Dthankins, see you in the fall! The closer it gets, the more excited I get!

Peace. Txgirl, if you dont mind, I have a few more questions. HOw did you get that shadowing experience. I really would like to do that but I dont know exactly how to go about doing it. Also, did you ONLY apply to Texas schools or did you apply to other out-of-state ones. I only want to apply to Texas schools but everyone in here says how they apply to like 20 or 30 schools and I do realize that only applying in Texas would decrease my chances of admission. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Souljah, the little shadowing I did was with a Dr. I knew. BUT, while I was in the ER w/ her I noticed that there were premed students from a local school (TCU) that were there observing as part of an organized effort by their premed club or something. So, I would imagine that UT Austin would have some such programs in place. I don't know though. If not, you might just try inquiring at a hospital or even a Dr's private practice.

Yes, I only applied to TX schools. If you are a TX resident, I think this is quite sufficient. I even had a couple of interviewers ask why I had applied to "so many schools" when they thought my stats were strong. So, I think 20 or 30 is WAY too many.

Hope this helps!

If you have any more questions, you can post here or e-mail me at [email protected]

Txgirl, thank you so much for all the info. Peace.

I agree with TX Girl -- there is no need to apply out of state. Your chances are so much better in-state. I wasted money applying to out of state schools -- by the time I was invited for an interview out of state, I already had interviews with all the MD schools in TX already scheduled and actually had a hard time scheduling the out of state interviews so I just decided to forget about the other schools -- who is gonna screw up all 7 or 8 interview in TX?

Trust me ...dont waste the 500 or so that I did!

Good Luck!

thank you dthankins. If you dont mind, can you tell me your "stats." Sorry for meddling but I just want all the info I can get, ya know? If it's too personal, dont post them. Thank you. Peace.

Hi Souljah:

Hope u get in, and to be honest, speaking as a fellow longhorn (well I guess, now I am a Texas-ex), but in any case, the rate of acceptance for UT Austin students is very high. Ofcourse us being a bright group and all is a big part of it!
smile.gif
We have tons of experience,and I suggest that u look into AED, AMSA, APS and other groups on campus for some last minute experiences that u can talk about in ur interviews. Considering that u already took the MCAT (I am thinking), I guess..u already got ur scores by now. Did u? Let me be honest: Yes, Southwestern and Baylor do care a lot about numbers, but let me give u some leads. I have friends who were on the lower side of 30 and that still got in,a nd of course on the other side that DIDn't get in! So there is no magic number. I think u will be a competitive applicant if u have a good science gpa >3.7 and a decent overall gpa. MCATS: 29 + will make a good applicant...with a lot of clinical, peer-help sort of stuff and all. U will get in somewhere in Texas, don't worry or stress about it. To be honest, everyone that I know of, make a big deal about which school to go to..but that lasts only until the first interview..and then after all the interviews..u have a pretty good idea, but no matter who you are..I seriously think that on January 14rth, u don't give a damn which school it is as long as it some school. Another lead: If u have hopes for BAYLOR: READ MY WORDS: APPLY EARLY!!!!! They do interview until mid february, but they are pretty much filled (they lie in feb that they aren't) by january. So, whatever it is APPLY EARLY, DO WELL IN UR INTERVIEWS, and RELAX!! That is all u have to do. WE have awsome schools in TExas, and apply to all of them..and I have friends in almost all of them, and they are ALL extremely happy to be there even if it was their 3rd choice school.

Peace! Go longhorns!

Hi Austinite

Thank you for all the information. I havent taken the MCAT yet. I've only completed two semesters of coursework so far but I'm considered a junior due to ap and transfer credit. You were talking about science gpa. That's the thing that worries me. So far, I've gotten B's in calculus, one bio, and one chem. My overall gpa is 3.78 but my science gpa is 3.37 right now due to those B's I listed. I'm worried I wont be able to raise up my science gpa that much(only have a few more sciences to take). Also, as far as volunteering and all that. In a month, I will be starting a position at the Texas school for the blind and visually impaired where I will be just basically interacting with the kids there and doing fun activites(it's kinda like summer camp). Hopefully, I will keep this job throughout the school year and also I'm going to try to get an internship at the Heart Hospital of Austin. If I can hold these two jobs for two years up until med school time, do you think that will be enough? Should I also volunteer at some hospitals during the summer? Do you know of any way I can get doctor shadow experience in Ausitn? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well,

ur science GPA is ok...don't dwell over it. U are just a junior..u have this entire year to bring it up. Take a lot of science classes..and u will be fine..work hard. And, yes, u do have a chance to bring it up. Take classes that arent' required and are easy to make As in. I know thereis no such thing at UT Austin..but look in Physics electives such as ...Phy 341 (Pseudoscience etc..), and other research electives..(where u work for a prof, and he usually gives u an A)..it really works out. What u are goin to do..will sound good on ur resume..but make sure u do a lot of tiny things as well. Keep the job in HHA and go do weekly volunteer activities with groups on campus, or just drop by. Look in the Newspaper...perhaps a lunch with h.school kids..something to reallyh make u think about life and what u are goin to do in Medicien. U have to mature and able to withstand negative things..and that's what u have to show..irrespective of how hard it is..u are going to make it thru..because u care. That is the point. U will do good in school..don't woryr..u have plenty of time. Talk to Judy Willett and Dan Knauft in HPO office..they are helpful.

Later

Hi austinite
Sorry for bothering you so much. You're giving me very good info. I just have one more question. Would you recommen me taking physics at UT or ACC. I have heard that it is very hard at UT but how would community college credit look to med schools. Also, which physics do you recommend? Calculus based? trig based? Once again, thank you for the help. Peace.