University of Texas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emogrrrrl

I like my freedom
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone on here heard anything from the University of Texas in general? Whether it's about an interview or acceptance/rejections?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I had an interview there last month (2/17/04). The 16th and 17th of Feb. was their first round of interviews. I am not sure if they have had any interviews since then. Their admissions staff seems extremely organized so I would not worry about your app getting lost in the shuffle or anything like that.

I am still waiting to find out whether I am in or not! Supposedly the admissions committee was meeting to make decisions some time this week, so letters might be going out soon to people who had interviews when I did. UT is definitely my first choice school. I am crossing my fingers! Good luck to you as well.

Shannon

Congrats on having an interview there. Good luck to you in getting accepted =). They've only interviewed two days so far? How many people were in each interview? Did they say they were meeting specifically this week to review the candidates?
Thanks for all of the info, I appreciate it! Keep me posted whenever you hear back from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
HI,

They just started to send out letters again for the second group.

Emogrrrl--
>How many people were in each interview?
I think there were 20-30 people interviewing on the same day as me. There probably would have been the same amount of people interviewing on the previous day.
>Did they say they were meeting specifically this week to review >the candidates?
This is what a student at the interview session told me.

Keep me updated with what you hear as well! Is UT your first choice? Where else did you apply?

Shanana

hi, I'm having a little trouble with the essay. Do you write it as if it is a problem on an exam, where you just start by repeating the subject and listing examples. or do we have to write an introduction and conclusion and separate paragraphs? I'm practicing with the one about opprutunities are disguised as difficult situations, i'm having trouble approaching it.

sandy

Shannon I wrote you a pm

Sandy,
I wrote the essay like it was a standard 3-subject essay with an introduction and conclusion. For example, on the practice essay I had 3 examples of how opportunities can be disguised as difficult situations, and each example had its own paragraph. Then I had an introduction paragraph (with thesis sentence and all that) and conclusion paragraph. I just barely had enough time to brainstorm examples, write, and re-read before time was up. I filled up all of the available space on the page they gave me.

I'm sure there are other ways to go about writing the essay, but this was just the way I was most comfortable doing it.

Shannon

Thanks, And I hope you hear good news from UT

If you don't mind me asking, Was the essay about the same level of difficulty as the practice one? I'm sure that they will give the second group a different one than the first, and probably different ethical questions as well.

bye
sandy

Sandy,
The essay was almost identical to the practice essay on the web page. You are right, the second group will probably get a totally different essay though.
Shannon

Members don't see this ad :)
My cousin in Texas was accepted to UT about a week or two ago, so i assume she was in the 1st interview group.

that's interesting cause the board told me they just started sending out acceptances/rejections within the last couple of days for the first round. congrats to your cousin!

does anyone know how to contact the admissions office to actually get a reply? I've called and the messages pretty much say "don't leave a message, we will not call back." I also send several e-mails to all the possible e-mails I could think of, and NOTHING.

I'm an out of state applicant and I really want them to at least consider me, but I made mistake on my app., and need to talk to someone there.

Any ideas how to get in touch with a human being at that admissions office? THANKS!

What number are you calling?

CityMermaid, try this number, 512-471-1737. There hasn't been a time that I have called this number that someone has not answered. Whoever answers your call tell them your situation and ask them if they know someone who can help you. They are pretty friendly in general. More than likely they will direct you to Dr. Richards who is the Dean of Admissions. If they just give you her email she is pretty quick about replying, at least she has been whenever I have contacted her.
Best of luck.

emogrrrrl Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I've been calling the general number, and e-mailing at the general e-mails. I wasn't sure which Dean was in charge, so didn't want to get them all annoyed at me.

yep, that's the number to call. I just figured that they probably *wanted* applicants to call whatever black hole number and e-mail address they gave out. They do some unfriendly things over there sometimes, and I have yet to figure out why they think it benefits them. I hope it's just that they aren't aware how it comes across. But I knew Dr. Richards's number was findable, so I figured I'd tell you where to look. Their website also has a listing of who's on the various college committees, so you'd be able to find out that she's the admissions committee chair online as well. It's all there if you look around.

Just wanted to bump up this thread and see if anyone has gotten an acceptance from UT.

still haven't heard anything shannon? have you tried calling the admissions office to get an update and see what's going on?

hey

i just had an interview this saturday. there are interviews going on today. and then there are 4 more admission commitee meetings to decide who gets in. There might even be another interview group, i'm not sure. I haven't heard of anyone getting accepted yet.

sandy

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will just continue to wait patiently... I don't want to bother the admissions office with a call, since it does not seem like anyone has heard an answer from them yet.
I hope your interviews went well, good luck.
S