This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why are you MOST interested in this program? Choose two reasons.

• To boost my GPA for medical school.

• To relearn necessary topics in preparation for medical school.

• To have a better chance at UIWSOM.

• The program isn't as competitive as my top choices, so I may have easier entry.

• To avoid a gap year.

• To stay academically engaged while I study for the MCAT/boost my MCAT score.

Results are only viewable after voting.

mandyads

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

So I recently applied about a week and a half ago to UIW's Master in Biomedical Sciences program. Their medical school is extremely impressive and is my top choice - after finding out that they had an MBS program that could prepare you specifically for their DO medical school, it was a no brainer! The program also guarantees a secondary and interview (but NOT admission). If you receive over a 3.5 GPA for the program, you can receive a faculty recommendation letter as well.

Being that I found out about the program a bit late, I am nervous on how many of the slots are being filled, while they are probably just receiving all of my materials as of this week. They told me they starting sending out acceptances last week.

Have any of you applied to the program? Any comments, recommendations or questions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
P.S. Called Celia today for an update since the website to check our status is having issues. She said that they are a little bit behind with the mail due to Spring Break. This means any thing that you've sent via mail (recommendation letters, transcripts, etc.) might be pending - especially transcripts since they have to process them in a unique way.

Hello All!

So I recently applied about a week and a half ago to UIW's Master in Biomedical Sciences program. Their medical school is extremely impressive and is my top choice - after finding out that they had an MBS program that could prepare you specifically for their DO medical school, it was a no brainer! The program also guarantees a secondary and interview (but NOT admission). If you receive over a 3.5 GPA for the semester, you can receive a faculty recommendation letter as well.

Being that I found out about the program a bit late, I am nervous on how many of the slots are being filled while they are probably just receiving all of my materials as of this week. They told me they starting sending out acceptances last week.

Have any of you applied to the program? Any comments, recommendations or questions?
I’m applying as well and in the same boat as you! I already knew about the program but I have not been able to submit my entire application because I haven’t taken my MCAT. A bit scared it may be late for me but honestly it’s worth a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m applying as well and in the same boat as you! I already knew about the program but I have not been able to submit my entire application because I haven’t taken my MCAT. A bit scared it may be late for me but honestly it’s worth a shot.
I received an e-mail from Ms.Fowler yesterday... I'm assuming it was a templated e-mail for everyone who has submitted their application though:

"Hello mandyads,

Thank you for your interest in the UIW Master of Biomedical Sciences Program. Applicant reviews, interviews and decisions are under way. After a review of your file, the following item(s) have not yet been received.

Transcripts (list of transcripts still pending)

Please let us know if you intend to complete your application.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you!"

What kind of sucks is that I sent in all my transcripts the week before last and they still haven't received/processed them. I'm not sure if they've gotten through all of their mail yet or not. They said they received all of my recommendation letters - one of which was mailed (?)... I responded back to the e-mail and called Celia, but haven't gotten a response yet.

Part of what makes me nervous is that I still have to take biochemistry if I get accepted into the program, so I'd like to make sure I am able to register for a course in enough time. I'm glad I have an MCAT score, but it wasn't a very good one - 493 from 2016. They typically want to see a 495-500.

Are you local in San Antonio? The reason why I'm asking is because I'm still studying for the MCAT to retake it. Whether I get into the MBS program or not, I'm still going to apply to medical schools this summer... plus, even if I get into the MBS program - having a better MCAT score means I don't have to study and re-take it in the middle of the program. They will be expecting a 500-505 MCAT for their medical school (that's if your other stats are very good).

I'm new to the area, so I've put together a study group here. Maybe we can encourage each other! Especially since we have similar missions.

DM me.

I also applied and am waiting to hear back! Kind of a long shot for me as well. My MCAT score was pretty terrible, so I am retaking it in May.

The email is sent until your application is complete. They didn't take to long to process everything, but I submitted most of my documents around the first week of March.

I also applied and am waiting to hear back! Kind of a long shot for me as well. My MCAT score was pretty terrible, so I am retaking it in May.

The email is sent until your application is complete. They didn't take to long to process everything, but I submitted most of my documents around the first week of March.
What are your stats, if you don't mind sharing? I've read all of the other forums to get a good idea of the type of academic profile they accepted, but with a holistic school it's hard to predict what will actually be the biggest factor.

Here's me:
Graduated in 2015, then went off to do a year of research. After that, I bombed my MCAT and spent the last 2 years working a business job to get my life back on track in every way possible.

MCAT 493 | CP:122, CARS:124, BB:123, PS:124
cGPA: 3.5+
sGPA: 3.6+
smGPA: 3.4+
*Not including the average of any retaken coursework
NOTE: Medical schools do take the average of all coursework!

Recommendations letters: psychotherapist (medical professional), my department advisor/director of graduate studies and my previous employer that knows nothing about medicine or writing academic reference letters LOL (but he's what I had).

Sprinkled volunteering throughout the years (never really kept up with the numbers) and didn't put shadowing hours anywhere even though I do have quiet a bit (again, it was sprinkled and I never really kept up with the numbers).

I have a strong connection to the school's mission.

Is it true that they interview for this program? Because I got a reminder email to submit the rest of my documents and it said “interviews, acceptances, etc.” were being sent out so I was bit confused

Is it true that they interview for this program? Because I got a reminder email to submit the rest of my documents and it said “interviews, acceptances, etc.” were being sent out so I was bit confused
Yes, they absolutely do interview. Virtual if you aren't in the area.

Reactions: 1 user
What are your stats, if you don't mind sharing? I've read all of the other forums to get a good idea of the type of academic profile they accepted, but with a holistic school it's hard to predict what will actually be the biggest factor.

Here's me:
Graduated in 2015, then went off to do a year of research. After that, I bombed my MCAT and spent the last 2 years working a business job to get my life back on track in every way possible.

MCAT 493 | CP:122, CARS:124, BB:123, PS:124
cGPA: 3.5+
sGPA: 3.6+
smGPA: 3.4+
*Not including the average of any retaken coursework
NOTE: Medical schools do take the average of all coursework!

Recommendations letters: psychotherapist (medical professional), my department advisor/director of graduate studies and my previous employer that knows nothing about medicine or writing academic reference letters LOL (but he's what I had).

Sprinkled volunteering throughout the years (never really kept up with the numbers) and didn't put shadowing hours anywhere even though I do have quiet a bit (again, it was sprinkled and I never really kept up with the numbers).

I have a strong connection to the school's mission.

I graduated 2017, currently work in the college education system. Bombed my MCAT my junior year- I was not prepared and foolish go into taking the test instead of voiding the exam.

cGPA 3.3
sGPA 3.0
Post-bac 4.0 (~24 hours of upper division, and ~6 retake pre-req.)

Last edited:

I believe so. The email I received after completing my application (about a week or two ago) stated:

Your UIW MBS application is complete and under evaluation. Once our committee is complete with the evaluation, we will notify if you have been selected for an interview. This decision will be emailed in approximately 2-3 weeks. If you have any questions in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us.

I believe so. The email I received after completing my application (about a week or two ago) stated:

Your UIW MBS application is complete and under evaluation. Once our committee is complete with the evaluation, we will notify if you have been selected for an interview. This decision will be emailed in approximately 2-3 weeks. If you have any questions in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Yes, that’s what Celia told me in the beginning as well. I wish they could go ahead and make a decision and just let it be dependent on my last transcript, lol.

So the count down starts for you!

Good luck and keep us up to date!

I graduated 2017, currently work in the college education system. Bombed my MCAT my junior year- I was not prepared and foolish go into taking the test instead of voiding the exam.

MCAT 490 | CP: 123, CARS: 123, BB: 122, PS: 122
cGPA 3.3
sGPA 3.0
Post-bac 4.0 (~24 hours of upper division, and ~6 retake pre-req.)

Recommendations: Nurse Practitioner, Research Mentor, Science Professor

Volunteer healthcare ~100 hours
non-healthcare ~50 hours
research ~400 hours
I think you are competitive, because you seem to be really well rounded and you showed improvement in your post-bac. I included my post-bac in my overall GPA, but that helped me quite a bit as well.

Since you mentioned you wanted to void your exam, does that mean you’d like to retake for this program as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are competitive, because you seem to be really well rounded and you showed improvement in your post-bac. I included my post-bac in my overall GPA, but that helped me quite a bit as well.

Since you mentioned you wanted to void your exam, does that mean you’d like to retake for this program as well?

Yes. I talked to Celia, and she recommended I turn in my current test score to complete my application. She also said if i do get denied, but have updated scores later on, I could ask to be re-reviewed. The only issue at the point would be spacing, since it's possible all the spots might be full.

Yes. I talked to Celia, and she recommended I turn in my current test score to complete my application. She also said if i do get denied, but have updated scores later on, I could ask to be re-reviewed. The only issue at the point would be spacing, since it's possible all the spots might be full.
Right. I can understand that, but last year they pushed the apply deadline for the program all the way back to June. You definitely have some time! But it’s so expensive and a crazy process if you don’t feel like that’s enough time for you to really improve how you want. I don’t even plan on re-taking my MCAT until the end of June, so hopefully a 493 is enough. I wish I could use my last AAMC practice test instead!

Right. I can understand that, but last year they pushed the apply deadline for the program all the way back to June. You definitely have some time! But it’s so expensive and a crazy process if you don’t feel like that’s enough time for you to really improve how you want. I don’t even plan on re-taking my MCAT until the end of June, so hopefully a 493 is enough. I wish I could use my last AAMC practice test instead!

Yeah, but she did tell me the last test score had to be in by mid-July I believe. So if I don't see improvement in my practice exams, I will push back my test date.

Yeah, but she did tell me the last test score had to be in by mid-July I believe. So if I don't see improvement in my practice exams, I will push back my test date.
Well good luck to you! You are definitely capable when you put the hard work in.

Sidenote: I think any acceptances that they would have given by now have come from people who applied to their DO school last cycle. And the only other people who have interviewed are the ones that applied as early as January. I say that because all of the people who have interviewed in March said that they applied in January, so right when the gates opened I think.

Reactions: 1 users
So, did you guys put your shadowing experience in your application or any school orgs? I didn’t at all.

I actually only saw where I could or volunteering (forgot to put church volunteering) and accomplishments.... I didn’t really think of either shadowing or undergraduate orgs (3 years ago) as real accomplishments.

I’m feeling insecure. ):

So, did you guys put your shadowing experience in your application or any school orgs? I didn’t at all.

I actually only saw where I could or volunteering (forgot to put church volunteering) and accomplishments.... I didn’t really think of either shadowing or undergraduate orgs (3 years ago) as real accomplishments.

I’m feeling insecure. ):
Omgahhhh... I didn’t put any research in there either. I attached my latest resume that had some of that stuff though, but it didn’t even have my current job as a ED Medical Scribe.

Omgahhhh... I didn’t put any research in there either. I attached my latest resume that had some of that stuff though, but it didn’t even have my current job as a ED Medical Scribe.
I did put all my extra curriculars since my GPA and MCAT are on the low side. You may want to contact them to see if you could update your information.

Do you know if they accept letters of recommendation through Interfolio? When I applied to the DO program, I had all of my letter writers upload them to Interfolio. I would hate to bother them to send my letters again through the mail, especially since it has been almost a year since I got all of my letters. :(

Do you know if they accept letters of recommendation through Interfolio? When I applied to the DO program, I had all of my letter writers upload them to Interfolio. I would hate to bother them to send my letters again through the mail, especially since it has been almost a year since I got all of my letters. :(

Yes, they do! I sent two of my letters through Interfolio. You just need to email them to MBS email they have!

Heard back from Celia on Tuesday. They finally found my missing transcript and started to review my application package as of yesterday. Just like everyone else, she said I would be notified of an interview decision within 2 weeks. I'm going to send the office a little thank you for all their assistance and then cross my fingers.

@Texas17 I was able to send more supplementary information, so that makes me feel better! My online application was kind of trash besides the main question (killed that, lol). I think the online application is definitely geared towards traditional students, so it's good they give students the option to update their applications in other ways.

You still haven't heard back from them yet? The first time I spoke to Celia, I do remember her saying 2-3 weeks.

You still haven't heard back from them yet? The first time I spoke to Celia, I do remember her saying 2-3 weeks.

No, I haven't. I called on Monday, and she basically said I was complete but no decision had been made about an interview yet. She also said the admissions committee was getting together on Wednesday to review more applications, so I don't actually know if I have been reviewed completely.

No, I haven't. I called on Monday, and she basically said I was complete but no decision had been made about an interview yet. She also said the admissions committee was getting together on Wednesday to review more applications, so I don't actually know if I have been reviewed completely.
Hm, that's interesting to know. That lines up with her saying that they were going to start the process of my application yesterday. Because they believe in holistic admission, they probably go back and forth between candidates - constantly reviewing them. Rather than the traditional way of just accepting as they go. It seems like lots of people from the DO cycle are all getting their MBS invites.

Hm, that's interesting to know. That lines up with her saying that they were going to start the process of my application yesterday. Because they believe in holistic admission, they probably go back and forth between candidates - constantly reviewing them. Rather than the traditional way of just accepting as they go. It seems like lots of people from the DO cycle are all getting their MBS invites.

Yeah, maybe DO applicants get priority? Idk, but not much else to do but be hopeful and wait.

Here is some feedback I've gotten/seen about the program so far (LOTS OF INFORMATION):

If anyone is like me, I am going to need to continue working part-time while I am in school to stay in good standing with my job (looks like that might be scary with this program). I would like to keep building my medical work/physician shadowing hours, so my medical school application will continue to enhance outside of my grades. Honestly, I wish there were a way to void the EMT and Kaplan portion of the program. Not only because not everyone needs it, but because I'm sure it's adding to the hefty price tag. With that being said:

2015-2016
"I've been in the program and been admitted to the DO program as well.
The MBS program is a great opportunity to boost your competitiveness for their DO program as well as other health professions. Some of our classmates who are not pre-med have already been admitted to their respective programs. However it is not a backdoor into UIW DO program. You're not guaranteed admission only an interview. We had to go through the same application process as everyone else. Some of our classmates were waitlisted or rejected so keep that in mind. In all honesty the MBS program is a year long interview for the DO program. It's also a very expensive investment. The cost is approximately $60,000.
I've gain so much from the this program not only academically but personally as well. The faculty and staff invest heavily on the student success. The professors are wonderful and approachable. Since we were the first class there was a lot of kinks to work out but I'm sure things will be more smooth for the following cohorts."

2016-2017
"Cons: The EMT course was a mess. I'm sure all of my classmates agreed. Trying to implement an EMT course in a semester in the short amount of time we have last semester didn't turned out well. Our MCAT course was not really useful because our schedule was so heavy loaded not everyone had enough time to truly study the material. I think most of us study the material during the christmas break. Again, this is my opinion I'm sure other students may have more cons. This is a new program and we're the guinea pigs, of course there's going to be hiccups along the way, but they're trying to help us out the best they can. Lastly, the program is expensive compared to UNTHSC.

Pros: Even though my classmates and I have been together for only one semester, we have really grown close and it feels like family. The faculty and staff are amazing, always helpful and wants us to do well. You'll get a guarantee interview to the school of medicine, ours is coming up in 3 weeks. The faculty and staff are going to teach at the medical school and be your instructors as well, so you'll have access to them."

-

"The tuition is high, but you are given living expenses as well. The total price for the degree comes out to be about $67,000. Because of the way they do their semesters, the listed price doesn't include the summer session. The summer session (may-june) is an additional $14,000.

I am currently in the program and have really enjoyed it. The EMT class was definitely a lot of extra work and not organized well but there is going to be changes made next year so that should hopefully be better for incoming students. I would agree with the family feel. Since the class is so small and you see each other every day you definitely get to know everyone around you. While we were "guinea pigs", I still feel that I have gained a really solid foundation for medical school. Yes you are guaranteed an interview at UIWSOM, but you are not guaranteed a spot. MCAT prep is included in the program, they hosted the class weekly on campus for us. You will be very busy but if you manage your time right its doable. It is recommended to not work throughout the program if you don't have to, which is why you are given living expenses. I would recommend the program to anyone considering it!"

2017-2018
"I am currently attending this program. I will let you know now that people who worked while in this program either didn't do well or failed out/dropped out. It is a rigorous program. If you have other options I would recommend attending UNT Health Science Center's MBS program. The issue with this school is that its still developing and has a lot of kinks to iron out. You start fall so your grades wont matriculate till December. Which causes a lot of issues for those who are applying. UNT matriculates Summer and acceptances by December.

Fall semester schedule:
Monday: Human Anatomy 9:00 AM, Health Humanities 10:30 AM, Gross Anatomy Lab 1:00-4:00 PM
Tuesday: Research Methods 8:00 AM, Medical Epidemiology 9:30 AM, Professional Development I 1:30, Biochemistry 2:30
Wednesday: Human Anatomy 9:00 AM, Health Humanities 10:30 AM, Gross Anatomy Lab 1:00-4:00 PM
Thursday: Research Methods 8:00 AM, Medical Epidemiology 9:30 AM, Biochemistry 10:30 AM
Friday: Kaplan course 4:00 PM? (I'm a predent student so I didn't attend MCAT course, required for premed) Tutoring for all courses.

Spring semester schedule:
Monday: Human Anatomy II 9:00 AM, Bioethics 10:30 AM, Gross Anatomy Lab 1:00-4:00 PM (first half of course)
Monday: Neuroanatomy lab 9:00 AM, Bioethics 10:30 AM, Neuroanatomy Lecture 1:00-300 PM (second half of course)
Tuesday: Research Methods II 9:00 AM, Physiology 10:30 AM, Professional Development I 1:30, Microbiopathogenesis 2:30
Wednesday: Human Anatomy II 9:00 AM, Bioethics 10:30 AM, Gross Anatomy Lab 1:00-4:00 PM (first half of course)
Wednesday: Neuroanatomy lab 9:00 AM, Bioethics 10:30 AM, Neuroanatomy Lecture 1:00-300 PM (second half of course)
Thursday: Research Methods II 9:00 AM, Physiology 10:30 AM, Microbiopathogenesis 1:00 PM
Friday: Kaplan course/tutoring"

@mandyads do you know if the program made their students competitive for other osteopathic schools and/or for allopathic texas school?

@mandyads do you know if the program made their students competitive for other osteopathic schools and/or for allopathic texas school?
That I am not sure of. I would have to talk to someone who has already graduated and applied to other medical schools. I haven't identified anyone like that who didn't end up going to UIWSOM itself. If I see someone post something about that, I'll definitely ask.

Just got an email about an interview! Wanted to keep you all updated!

I just received an interview invite as well!! April 23rd-26th. I haven’t picked a date yet.

More feedback:

"Currently, our schedule is from 9am-3pm on Monday/Wednesday, 9am-4:30Pm on Tuesdays, and 9am-2:30pm on Thursdays. We get Friday off. I highly recommend that you do not work, as it’s a very intense program. It’s imperative that you obtain the highest gpa as possible if you want to be considered for admission at UIWSOM’s DO School.

MCAT class is mandatory if your MCAT isn't competitive enough for admission. You can only opt out of the MCAT class if your MCAT is 505+

And those are the times you're actually in class, minus the 60-90 minute lunch breaks depending on the day. On Mondays, Tuesday, and Wednesday, we get a lunch break of 90 mins, on Thursdays, we get a lunch break of 1 hour.

Yeah, I interviewed sometime in July and heard back the day next lol. A lot of people I talked to from my program had quick turn arounds as well, but I'm not sure how it's like for the next incoming class though"

Hello! I've been lurking for a while. Just want to say congrats to you guys who got an interview! :)

I don't know if anyone has heard or read anything about their tests? Would they be multiple choice or free response? Because I know the DO school has free response tests only.

Hello! I've been lurking for a while. Just want to say congrats to you guys who got an interview! :)

I don't know if anyone has heard or read anything about their tests? Would they be multiple choice or free response? Because I know the DO school has free response tests only.
I believe the MBS program is more of the same. They mentioned that they share the same style of curriculum for both programs!

I believe the MBS program is more of the same. They mentioned that they share the same style of curriculum for both programs!

Ah I see, that'll be scary! I couldn't find it in the documents you posted, did you find where it said tests are free response?

Ah I see, that'll be scary! I couldn't find it in the documents you posted, did you find where it said tests are free response?
They mentioned that at an in-person informational.

I had a tour with a previous MBS student who let me know its a mix of multiple choice and free response, but the majority being multiple choice.

Reactions: 2 users
Interview went well! It was with 2 staff members and was about 30 mins on the dot, but I did answer the questions pretty quickly and asked them a question that took a long response from both of them. The staff is so friendly that it's really surprising.

I was actually hoping for more difficult questions that would allow me to really give a bit more of my story. Just like the application, the interview is very geared towards traditional students with very straight-forward questions. If you are non-traditional, I would use every opportunity to delve into some of your experiences and wisdom that is unique to your journey. Both of the interviewers really appreciated my insight or "reflection," as one called it, that I gained from my non-academic experiences.

The questions consisted of (in my own words and in no particular order):
1) What do you plan to get out of the MBS program?
2) What would you do if you caught someone cheating in your program?
3) What do you think are the important qualities of a leader and have you seen anyone embody that?
4) What do you think is required for successful teamwork?
5) Delve into more details about how you are attacking the MCAT differently?
6) Name a time where you had to disagree with someone to create a better outcome.
7) Which course do you foresee being the most difficult for you and why?
8) Any questions for us?

I'll definitely add to that if I can think of any more. They both asked me 4-5 questions, so I might be forgetting 2.

Oh, and I was asked the question “if you were not accepted into this program, what are your alternative plans?“

Received a “Welcome to UIW” email this morning at 9am, but it doesn’t say anything about the MBS Program.

Haven’t received anything.
Hm, I’m going to call on Monday. I’ve seen in another forum that some emails like this got sent out to UIWSOM applicants that didn’t get accepted into the medical school. I think they got offered spots in my the MBS program though.