This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why are you MOST interested in this program? Choose two reasons.

• To boost my GPA for medical school.

• To relearn necessary topics in preparation for medical school.

• To have a better chance at UIWSOM.

• The program isn't as competitive as my top choices, so I may have easier entry.

• To avoid a gap year.

• To stay academically engaged while I study for the MCAT/boost my MCAT score.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just found the 2018-2019 academic calendar!
http://www.uiw.edu/registrar/documents/20182019academiccalendar.pdf

I still haven't heard back from Celia (left a voicemail Monday morning) in regards to what the e-mail meant, but I've used my given username and password to log-in to everything I could. It looks as though I have access to everything I would need if I were a student... even my financial aid is in there (I did FAFSA while I was doing my application). My status says that I am in the MBS program, but maybe that's how they organize things??? IDKKKK.

P.S. I just remembered that my interviewer did say that are a good amount of people from the MBS program that do not get accepted into their medical school or even other medical schools. I did not ask her to enlighten on why they didn't, but she continued to tell stories about how this program allowed many people to realize medical school was not for them. I'm assuming this could mean they didn't perform great or they really didn't enjoy it.

Members don't see this ad.

I just called Celia again (she was set to call me today) and was told I did get accepted into the program; however, I made a huge mistake and missed the deadline to take the biochemistry course I needed to take over the summer. The deadline was yesterday and I was waiting until I received confirmation from the university. ): I am currently submitting an appeal to take the course, as it was the only one that fit into the proper deadline.

Pray for me please!

Ouch, good luck. I doubt that they will deny you due to a biochem course. You can look around at other schools too for a short course this summer.

I visited the campus yesterday for a tour and they told us that about 60% of the students that attend the program get into medical school. Now whether that is their medical school or all medical schools. I don't know but its something to consider.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ouch, good luck. I doubt that they will deny you due to a biochem course. You can look around at other schools too for a short course this summer.

I visited the campus yesterday for a tour and they told us that about 60% of the students that attend the program get into medical school. Now whether that is their medical school or all medical schools. I don't know but its something to consider.
Celia told me in the beginning that they do not waive any prerequisites for any reason. I am handing over the appeal tomorrow, so I am hoping for the best! She wrote me a quick letter to notify the school of my conditional acceptance and prerequisite need and I'll be able to write them a letter on why I need to take the course as well. My grades are good, so the only reason UTSA would have for denying my appeal would be because I missed the deadline and they don't think it's worth it.

There aren't any other local school offering the course in time. Not even online ones (the timeline isn't guaranteed).

Last edited:
Officially denied. While they said my interview was impressive, my MCAT score sunked me. Really informative of how to improve my chances for next year. Good luck to all of you!
Keep pushing! I've been trying to building myself up for 3 years now and I'm jussttttt now getting accepted into a master's program. Take whatever steps you need. The hardest part is not allowing yourself to get discouraged and not allowing other's judgement of your "progress" to affect your appreciation of the "process." If you take it for what it's worth, each set back can bless you with a comeback that's way better than what you originally set out for.

On the other hand, any information that you've been given to help your chances will definitely help others in your shoes and people who have yet to apply.

You got this and I wish you nothing but success in your next steps!

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like UTSA is going to hook me up, so I'll be there for biochemistry this summer and I will be able to start the program!!! I literally sobbed for a few minutes when I was told it was too late to apply. I went all out for the appeal and made it super professional, went on campus to shake hands with everyone I had spoken on the phone with, and did everything promptly. I can't wait until I can officially register for the course and start this journey!

Thanks for the support guys (all of you direct messengers who stalk to forum too, lol)! Good luck to all of you. DM me if you have any questions I can help with - that way I'll get an e-mail notification.

Last edited:
I have an interview this Friday! I saw that they have 12 slots this week and they're all filled by now. I'm guessing their applicant pool is picking up?

I just had my interview today. I feel somewhat confident, but these things are always difficult to gauge, so who knows. I did really like the faculty though. Everyone was incredibly kind, supportive, and informative, all of which are things that make for a good school.

Do any of you guys know what email I can send a thank you too? I would assume just the basic MBS program email (the same one for questions and such), but I don't know if that will get to my interviewers. I tried to find them on the website, but there isn't any kind of faculty listing or anything either. I'm kinda stuck, any suggestions?

I had my interview yesterday. I felt really good during the whole interview, but you never know how things go haha. I've never visited the campus so getting to know the two faculty that interviewed me and touring the campus was really nice, I fell in love with it :)

They asked basically the same questions that @mandyads posted except they didn't ask me about my MCAT, but they asked me if I was comfortable with seeking help from the school/class if I was struggling. They gave me their contact information saying that if there was anything else I wanted to add to the questions or if I had any questions, I was free to do so. We went over by 15 minutes so I'm surprised.

Looks like UTSA is going to hook me up, so I'll be there for biochemistry this summer and I will be able to start the program!!! I literally sobbed for a few minutes when I was told it was too late to apply. I went all out for the appeal and made it super professional, went on campus to shake hands with everyone I had spoken on the phone with, and did everything promptly. I can't wait until I can officially register for the course and start this journey!

Thanks for the support guys (all of you direct messengers who stalk to forum too, lol)! Good luck to all of you. DM me if you have any questions I can help with - that way I'll get an e-mail notification.

If you are taking biochem with Dr. Chambers - take notes and memorize every detail. He is the worst and takes pride in watching students fail. Getting a C may satisfy the UIW requirement, but will just damage your GPA instead of repairing it.

Gl either way, but you would be better off doing a DIY post-bac and redoing the mcat while building up your ECs.

I just got an interview invitation! So excited, I got into an out of state masters program but I would really prefer going here. Did most people who interviewed get in to UIW?? I haven't pick my interview slot yet.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got an interview invitation! So excited, I got into an out of state masters program but I would really prefer going here. Did most people who interviewed get in to UIW?? I haven't pick my interview slot yet.

Gratz on the interview, I think if you go through this thread there is some info you will find useful regarding chances of getting into UIWSOM if you do the masters program... I think it all just depends on if you do well in the program or not. When did you apply to their MBS? I applied a couple weeks ago

Gratz on the interview, I think if you go through this thread there is some info you will find useful regarding chances of getting into UIWSOM if you do the masters program... I think it all just depends on if you do well in the program or not. When did you apply to their MBS? I applied a couple weeks ago
Yes! I saw that great details were shared, I will look at it again. My application was pending for about a month because of a last letter of recommendation which was submitted late. My application was complete about 2 weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is some feedback I've gotten/seen about the program so far (LOTS OF INFORMATION):

If anyone is like me, I am going to need to continue working part-time while I am in school to stay in good standing with my job (looks like that might be scary with this program). I would like to keep building my medical work/physician shadowing hours, so my medical school application will continue to enhance outside of my grades. Honestly, I wish there were a way to void the EMT and Kaplan portion of the program. Not only because not everyone needs it, but because I'm sure it's adding to the hefty price tag. With that being said:

2015-2016
"I've been in the program and been admitted to the DO program as well.
The MBS program is a great opportunity to boost your competitiveness for their DO program as well as other health professions. Some of our classmates who are not pre-med have already been admitted to their respective programs. However it is not a backdoor into UIW DO program. You're not guaranteed admission only an interview. We had to go through the same application process as everyone else. Some of our classmates were waitlisted or rejected so keep that in mind. In all honesty the MBS program is a year long interview for the DO program. It's also a very expensive investment. The cost is approximately $60,000.
I've gain so much from the this program not only academically but personally as well. The faculty and staff invest heavily on the student success. The professors are wonderful and approachable. Since we were the first class there was a lot of kinks to work out but I'm sure things will be more smooth for the following cohorts."

2016-2017
"Cons: The EMT course was a mess. I'm sure all of my classmates agreed. Trying to implement an EMT course in a semester in the short amount of time we have last semester didn't turned out well. Our MCAT course was not really useful because our schedule was so heavy loaded not everyone had enough time to truly study the material. I think most of us study the material during the christmas break. Again, this is my opinion I'm sure other students may have more cons. This is a new program and we're the guinea pigs, of course there's going to be hiccups along the way, but they're trying to help us out the best they can. Lastly, the program is expensive compared to UNTHSC.

Pros: Even though my classmates and I have been together for only one semester, we have really grown close and it feels like family. The faculty and staff are amazing, always helpful and wants us to do well. You'll get a guarantee interview to the school of medicine, ours is coming up in 3 weeks. The faculty and staff are going to teach at the medical school and be your instructors as well, so you'll have access to them."

-

"The tuition is high, but you are given living expenses as well. The total price for the degree comes out to be about $67,000. Because of the way they do their semesters, the listed price doesn't include the summer session. The summer session (may-june) is an additional $14,000.

I am currently in the program and have really enjoyed it. The EMT class was definitely a lot of extra work and not organized well but there is going to be changes made next year so that should hopefully be better for incoming students. I would agree with the family feel. Since the class is so small and you see each other every day you definitely get to know everyone around you. While we were "guinea pigs", I still feel that I have gained a really solid foundation for medical school. Yes you are guaranteed an interview at UIWSOM, but you are not guaranteed a spot. MCAT prep is included in the program, they hosted the class weekly on campus for us. You will be very busy but if you manage your time right its doable. It is recommended to not work throughout the program if you don't have to, which is why you are given living expenses. I would recommend the program to anyone considering it!"

2017-2018
"I am currently attending this program. I will let you know now that people who worked while in this program either didn't do well or failed out/dropped out. It is a rigorous program. If you have other options I would recommend attending UNT Health Science Center's MBS program. The issue with this school is that its still developing and has a lot of kinks to iron out. You start fall so your grades wont matriculate till December. Which causes a lot of issues for those who are applying. UNT matriculates Summer and acceptances by December.

Fall semester schedule:
Monday: Human Anatomy 9:00 AM, Health Humanities 10:30 AM, Gross Anatomy Lab 1:00-4:00 PM
Tuesday: Research Methods 8:00 AM, Medical Epidemiology 9:30 AM, Professional Development I 1:30, Biochemistry 2:30
Wednesday: Human Anatomy 9:00 AM, Health Humanities 10:30 AM, Gross Anatomy Lab 1:00-4:00 PM
Thursday: Research Methods 8:00 AM, Medical Epidemiology 9:30 AM, Biochemistry 10:30 AM
Friday: Kaplan course 4:00 PM? (I'm a predent student so I didn't attend MCAT course, required for premed) Tutoring for all courses.

Spring semester schedule:
Monday: Human Anatomy II 9:00 AM, Bioethics 10:30 AM, Gross Anatomy Lab 1:00-4:00 PM (first half of course)
Monday: Neuroanatomy lab 9:00 AM, Bioethics 10:30 AM, Neuroanatomy Lecture 1:00-300 PM (second half of course)
Tuesday: Research Methods II 9:00 AM, Physiology 10:30 AM, Professional Development I 1:30, Microbiopathogenesis 2:30
Wednesday: Human Anatomy II 9:00 AM, Bioethics 10:30 AM, Gross Anatomy Lab 1:00-4:00 PM (first half of course)
Wednesday: Neuroanatomy lab 9:00 AM, Bioethics 10:30 AM, Neuroanatomy Lecture 1:00-300 PM (second half of course)
Thursday: Research Methods II 9:00 AM, Physiology 10:30 AM, Microbiopathogenesis 1:00 PM
Friday: Kaplan course/tutoring"
Is it really 67k!?

Is it really 67k!?

if the summer tuition aspect is true then total tuition would be about 52k before living expenses.. how much is the out of state program? UIW is private and its a new program so expect a hefty price tag. Im thinking about it to because I believe I will be succesful and that it will pay off in the end. Honestly, Im still on the fence but ill probably end up there this fall ..

I got (conditionally) accepted and claimed my seat! Celia called me and said that my Gen Chem classes weren't at the prereq grades they wanted so if I retake it over the summer, I'll be good.

if the summer tuition aspect is true then total tuition would be about 52k before living expenses.. how much is the out of state program? UIW is private and its a new program so expect a hefty price tag. Im thinking about it to because I believe I will be succesful and that it will pay off in the end. Honestly, Im still on the fence but ill probably end up there this fall ..

The website showed about 40k. It's a hefty tag, but I ended up reasoning that if this is the only SMP I can go to, then I'd rather just go to move on with my life. They have good perks if you do well (LOR and automatic interview if you have >3.5 GPA during the program). Plus other schools have already passed the deadline for their app cycle.

Yea man I expected this schools tuition to be less hahaha but I guess not since it's private. The OOS school I got into is right at >50k as well but I still would prefer this over the OOS. Hopefully I do well at the interview Monday. Wish me luck!

Yea man I expected this schools tuition to be less hahaha but I guess not since it's private. The OOS school I got into is right at >50k as well but I still would prefer this over the OOS. Hopefully I do well at the interview Monday. Wish me luck!

good luck! the campus is really cool

If you are taking biochem with Dr. Chambers - take notes and memorize every detail. He is the worst and takes pride in watching students fail. Getting a C may satisfy the UIW requirement, but will just damage your GPA instead of repairing it.

Gl either way, but you would be better off doing a DIY post-bac and redoing the mcat while building up your ECs.
I hear that! I’ve heard some pretty harsh things about his class, but multiple people have come out with A’s, so there is no excuse for me. Many of the graduate level courses I’ve taken surpass the intensity of general biochemistry and utilized the same concepts, so I’m already very familiar with the material even though I’ve never taken the course (I graduated before the wave of biochemistry being so important).

I’ve also reached out to Dr. Chambers already to prepare the for the course early by gaining access to course material in advance. If anything, this course is perfect since I am planning to retake my MCAT on July 24th and he teaches at a level that will really prepare me for that and the MBS Program. I’ve told him what my goals are and what my expectations are for the course. I’m also working on a gang of extracurricular now and everything is falling into place so well. I work in medicine part-time and I’m shadowing a DO that sits as a UIWSOM interviewer (loved her so much at work and ended up finding out who she was after we made plans to shadow!!)

This program is about so much more than a “post-bac” for me. I’m in full support of DIY post-bacs, but God’s working on a little something different for me! I just need to pull my weight for this MCAT. My goal is a 505, so I think I can do it!

Last edited:
Good luck! Remember that there a tons of scholarships available out there. You may have to apply to 200 of them, but there’s endless amount of money floating around.

My biggest regret is that I honestly don’t have time to apply for a bunch of scholarships for the first semester. That is precious time I have to dedicate to my MCAT. But during Christmas break of the program, I plan to simply relax and apply for scholarships like a full-time job. Maybe there are even retro active scholarships out there too.

My best friend is in a very competitive masters program now and he said he had to set aside days at a time to apply for scholarships. He was also working part time. Honestly, he had to bust his butt in order to get a head and his courses so he could take that time off. But now he has a full ride for the rest of his program and only has to pay for the first semester!! And I know my friend... if he can do it, we all can (no shade, lol).

$$$

I got (conditionally) accepted and claimed my seat! Celia called me and said that my Gen Chem classes weren't at the prereq grades they wanted so if I retake it over the summer, I'll be good.
Congratulations!!! Do you know where you will take them? Don’t know if you are local...

Last edited:
I just had my interview today. I feel somewhat confident, but these things are always difficult to gauge, so who knows. I did really like the faculty though. Everyone was incredibly kind, supportive, and informative, all of which are things that make for a good school.

Do any of you guys know what email I can send a thank you too? I would assume just the basic MBS program email (the same one for questions and such), but I don't know if that will get to my interviewers. I tried to find them on the website, but there isn't any kind of faculty listing or anything either. I'm kinda stuck, any suggestions?
Sorry I’m so late on this, but DM me if you are still looking for an answer.

C0E5D58D-D264-4C05-A1C5-E754E34044BA.jpeg
I applied for FAFSA back in March when I first found out about the program, so they were able to write up my financial aid pretty quickly. Of course, I can’t see what the summer holds yet since it is technically a part of the 2019-2020 year, but this is the letter I received from UIW confirming the cost of the first two semesters. That’s how much they are estimating with living costs included, because they estimate the total tuition, etc. for the first two semesters to be $36k.

So you get $20k in living expenses (assuming you don’t have any caps on financial aid), which is like a tax free salary of $20k... that’s a lot for when you are in school. It’s roughly the equivalent of about a $25k taxed salary (no exemptions/allowances) in SATX, which would be an $18/hr full-time job. That’s great and is probably excessive for most people in a masters program.

P.S. I used to work operations in a business and staffing company... I apologize in advance for my financial outburst.

Last edited:
I hear that! I’ve heard some pretty harsh things about his class, but multiple people have come out with A’s, so there is no excuse for me. Many of the graduate level courses I’ve taken surpass the intensity of general biochemistry and utilized the same concepts, so I’m already very familiar with the material even though I’ve never taken the course (I graduated before the wave of biochemistry being so important).

I’ve also reached out to Dr. Chambers already to prepare the for the course early by gaining access to course material in advance. If anything, this course is perfect since I am planning to retake my MCAT on July 24th and be traches at a level that will really prepare me for that and the MBS Program. I’ve told him what my goals are and what my expectations are for the course. I’m also working on a gang of extracurricular now and everything is falling into place so well. I work in medicine part-time and I’m shadowing a DO that sits as a UIWSOM interviewer (loved her so much at work and ended up finding out who she was after we made plans to shadow!!)

This program is about so much more than a “post-bac” for me. I’m in full support of DIY post-bacs, but God’s working on a little something different for me! I just need to pull my weight for this MCAT. My goal is a 505, so I think I can do it!

Yikes. Good luck.

Congratulations!!! Do you know where you will take them? Don’t know if you are local...

Thanks!! Looking forward to meeting you this school year :)

I'm in Houston, so I'll be taking it at a local community college. Celia said anywhere really that gives a valid gen chem credit so yea! Looks like we're in the same boat.

I'm also taking my MCAT on the 24th, maybe we can be study buddies?

Hi
My name is Ammaar Anwar, i got accepted for MBS at university of incarnate word, for fall 2018 i am from Oklahoma and looking for roommate, i visited UIW last week during my visit i checked few apartments which are closer to UIW

I Just had my interview yesterday, If I get in lets link up @AMMAAR

I just received an interview invite as well!! April 23rd-26th. I haven’t picked a date yet.
First of all, congratulation!!! I just got an interview invite today. What is the best way to prepare for an interview? Have you heard about the acceptance yet?

What is the best way to prepare for an interview? How likely is it that if you do well on interview, you will get accepted?

Does anyone know if this class
Congratulation. How did you interview go for UIW? What are the questions they asked you. I have an interview this Friday.

First of all, congratulation!!! I just got an interview invite today. What is the best way to prepare for an interview? Have you heard about the acceptance yet?
Hi mxg!

I was accepted into the program the weekend following my interview (thank God, because I am very impatient). I really am not good at "interview prep" as I usually wing it and try to be the best version of myself. I made sure to review my application packet, my personal statement and my recommendation letters before hand and looked up a few lists of interview questions. I also read the questions that people had been asked previously. Oh, and refreshing myself on the mission statement and history of the school, medical school and MBS program.

There were certain things I wanted to highlight about myself in the interview, so I just made sure that the answer to any question I was asked would turn into me giving them additional (but related) knowledge about my background and why I'm special. For example, they asked about what I would do if I didn't get accepted into the program. Instead of just giving them a simple, generic answer... I took the opportunity to tell them about some major passions I have and dreams I'd like to accomplish whether or not I am in medicine. This same question also allowed me to talk about my non-traditional past as a bonus, since I had been exposed to so many amazing realms of success that had nothing to do with medicine.

Basically, I always look to lead the conversation with my answers. I think of the interviewers sole purpose as being the "prompter."

I have no idea what the interview-acceptance ratio is. Their medical school interviews many and accepts few.

Hi mxg!

I was accepted into the program the weekend following my interview (thank God, because I am very impatient). I really am not good at "interview prep" as I usually wing it and try to be the best version of myself. I made sure to review my application packet, my personal statement and my recommendation letters before hand and looked up a few lists of interview questions. I also read the questions that people had been asked previously. Oh, and refreshing myself on the mission statement and history of the school, medical school and MBS program.

There were certain things I wanted to highlight about myself in the interview, so I just made sure that the answer to any question I was asked would turn into me giving them additional (but related) knowledge about my background and why I'm special. For example, they asked about what I would do if I didn't get accepted into the program. Instead of just giving them a simple, generic answer... I took the opportunity to tell them about some major passions I have and dreams I'd like to accomplish whether or not I am in medicine. This same question also allowed me to talk about my non-traditional past as a bonus, since I had been exposed to so many amazing realms of success that had nothing to do with medicine.

Basically, I always look to lead the conversation with my answers. I think of the interviewers sole purpose as being the "prompter."

I have no idea what the interview-acceptance ratio is. Their medical school interviews many and accepts few.

Thank you so much for taking your time to reply. It is greatly appreciated!

Hey Everybody,

I will call the school and ask for advice when I get the chance, but do you know (based on your own conversations and "research") if it would be feasible to apply to UIWSOM during the Christmas break of the MBS program? I'd still like to apply to the medical school this year, especially if I meet my goal MCAT score this summer. Their cycle is open until mid-March.

I was considering waiting so that I could use the additional grades to show that I am still academically equipped. I could also apply as soon as I get my MCAT results too. I'm not sure what is better:

Option1: extremely late application with 1 semester of grades + summer course

OR

Options 2: average timing of application with only summer course

Hey Everybody,

I will call the school and ask for advice when I get the chance, but do you know (based on your own conversations and "research") if it would be feasible to apply to UIWSOM during the Christmas break of the MBS program? I'd still like to apply to the medical school this year, especially if I meet my goal MCAT score this summer. Their cycle is open until mid-March.

I was considering waiting so that I could use the additional grades to show that I am still academically equipped. I could also apply as soon as I get my MCAT results too. I'm not sure what is better:

Option1: extremely late application with 1 semester of grades + summer course

OR

Options 2: average timing of application with only summer course

Hi mandyads,

From my interview, I left with an understanding that those of us who want to apply to the DO program will be guided through that process. I'm not sure exactly how much guidance we will receive, but it kind of makes sense to me since they guarantee an MMI to the MBS students who complete the fall semester with a gpa of 3.5+. The two MBS students that were there during my interview said that UIWSOM has a designated day for the MBS students to interview, which was during the spring semester. As long as things stay the same, I think whichever option you decide will probably be fine. Hopefully what I've said helps you make the best decision for you.

Hi mandyads,

From my interview, I left with an understanding that those of us who want to apply to the DO program will be guided through that process. I'm not sure exactly how much guidance we will receive, but it kind of makes sense to me since they guarantee an MMI to the MBS students who complete the fall semester with a gpa of 3.5+. The two MBS students that were there during my interview said that UIWSOM has a designated day for the MBS students to interview, which was during the spring semester. As long as things stay the same, I think whichever option you decide will probably be fine. Hopefully what I've said helps you make the best decision for you.
Yes! That is very helpful. I was just a little nervous about a semester's worth of classes not being enough for them to really make any kind of decision. At this point, I'm just praying that I can score my goal on the MCAT. I absolutely don't want to be worrying about my MCAT going into this program. I've heard that most of the MBS students weren't able to utilize the Kaplan course during the semester because there wasn't enough time. They ended up just cramming during winter break and taking it after. I want to just focus on my studies and nail that 4.0.

Are you a current student?

Does anyone here know how religious this school is? Just curious.
They are really diverse as far as culture and religion. I was really surprised for that to be the case in this area. They really welcome diversity and have no sway based on your religious convictions. There are Christians (Catholic and Protestant), Muslims, Agnostics and others I am sure.

Yes! That is very helpful. I was just a little nervous about a semester's worth of classes not being enough for them to really make any kind of decision. At this point, I'm just praying that I can score my goal on the MCAT. I absolutely don't want to be worrying about my MCAT going into this program. I've heard that most of the MBS students weren't able to utilize the Kaplan course during the semester because there wasn't enough time. They ended up just cramming during winter break and taking it after. I want to just focus on my studies and nail that 4.0.

Are you a current student?

I will start the MBS program next month. My hope is that being on campus and interacting with faculty will help with getting accepted into the DO program, along with MCAT score and GPA of course.

I agree with you about worrying about the MCAT and going into this program. I quit my job last month and enrolled in a Kaplan course so that I can take the MCAT before school starts. I want to be able to solely focus on the program.

Officially denied. While they said my interview was impressive, my MCAT score sunked me. Really informative of how to improve my chances for next year. Good luck to all of you!
What was your score if you don't mind. I am sort of in the same situation.

Are any of you guys still studying for your MCAT who are either accepted into the program or waiting for a response?

I'm crazy nervous, because I made a 504 on AAMC Sample 1 and then a 499 on AAMC Sample 2. My MCAT is August 10th and it'll be my 3rd time taking it. My original goal was a 505 (which is realistic for my "best"), but now I feel like I am looking at a 500 if I have a "good exam."

I had this conversation with a colleague and can't find it to reference... but what are the MCAT plans for MBS students who need to interview at UIWSOM in the spring? I know a lot of past students studied for their MCAT over the winter break and took it when slots opened up again in January... but Idk if they were planning to attend UIWSOM or not.

I'm trying to figure out if it is best for me to take the MCAT and see what I get or to just void it if I don't feel like I scored 500+. Technically, my first MCAT score will not be looked at by UIWSOM since it will be 5 years from the matriculation date. My second exam will be exactly 3 years from matriculation, so just barely making it in for consideration. It's possible they'd have to consider a total of 3 scores if I were to take it two more times.

I've called Celia to see if she can put me in contact with an academic advisor for people who specifically want to transition into matriculation next year. I'm trying to figure out if me taking the MCAT in August and then again in January will hurt me as long as my score has improved both times (which I'm confident it will). Right now, I feel pretty burnt out and like my score isn't going to improve anymore within the next 10 days.

Until I hear back from her... any advice?

Hey Everyone,

Sorry to bump an old thread. I just applied for the MBS program for 2019-2020 ( I didn't see a thread for this cycle) and am greatly interested in any wisdom or advice regarding the program!

I originally thought this MBS program would be a great way to boost my GPA and get an upper-hand at UIW for next year, BUT snooping around, I'm starting to realize that this program is not all sunshine and rainbows.

If anyone is willing to share some advice to me. I am an Oklahoma resident but my entire family is moving to Houston next year.

Do you all think this program is truly worthwhile, or do any of you have regrets? Feel free to personally message me, I'm extremely nervous now lol!

498 MCAT (retaking in July) // 3.21 cGPA // 2.95 sGPA // currently working as an MA // tons of volunteering // research experience

Hey Everyone,

Sorry to bump an old thread. I just applied for the MBS program for 2019-2020 ( I didn't see a thread for this cycle) and am greatly interested in any wisdom or advice regarding the program!

I originally thought this MBS program would be a great way to boost my GPA and get an upper-hand at UIW for next year, BUT snooping around, I'm starting to realize that this program is not all sunshine and rainbows.

If anyone is willing to share some advice to me. I am an Oklahoma resident but my entire family is moving to Houston next year.

Do you all think this program is truly worthwhile, or do any of you have regrets? Feel free to personally message me, I'm extremely nervous now lol!

498 MCAT (retaking in July) // 3.21 cGPA // 2.95 sGPA // currently working as an MA // tons of volunteering // research experience

You would be better off just retaking your MCAT and saving your money. This program does not care about the students in it. The administration only wants money and they do whatever they can to keep students from dropping so that they cant fail them anyway and get the money for the semester. I dont doubt that the program will be shut down because the people who are even at the medical school dont feel the curriculum prepares them for boards, so the prospect of even. Being able to get a good residency is out the window.

This program offers a free application and automatic interview andI’m not even applying. If I had to choose between here and the Caribbean/Puerto Rico, I’d choose an actual credible school like Ross over them.

The way the admin sets up the program creates a very hostile environment in the classroom and the classmates will try to knock you down at the prospect of building themselves up at every chance they get. It is a toxic environment and a lot of the people in the. MBS program were given rejections or waitlisted to their medical school for reasons like “not participating enough in class” when people they accepted never said a word in class. It’s all a made up system of favorites and if you speak up against their wrong-doing, you’re penalized. I would not recommend wasting your money to anyone.

Hello"meameaalldayday. I am interested in applying for the UIW MBS program, and I am trying to be "an informed shopper, so your words made me pause a second as the were the first truly strong negative comments regarding this program. Are you a current or former UIW MBS program student? Just trying to understand where your comments are coming from...personal experience or from someone else's experience. Thanks

Hello"meameaalldayday. I am interested in applying for the UIW MBS program, and I am trying to be "an informed shopper, so your words made me pause a second as the were the first truly strong negative comments regarding this program. Are you a current or former UIW MBS program student? Just trying to understand where your comments are coming from...personal experience or from someone else's experience. Thanks
Feel free to inbox me as well.

Hey Everyone,

Hey Everyone,

I responded to your message.

Good Afternoon meameaalldayday,
I am also interested to hear your viewpoint and wouldn’t mind PM’ing you if you wouldn't mind elaborating.
Thanks,
All the Best!

Last edited: