1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

University of the Incarnate Word (UIWSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

Discussion in 'Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions' started by SmilingTooth, Jun 12, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. MultipleBrexitWounds

MultipleBrexitWounds

Jan 9, 2017
    Hey people!

I was accepted here on 11.11 and have paid the deposit. To all the other accepted folks, I'm wondering if the school has sent out any further communications regarding when school will start, financial aid (when should I fill out a FAFSA?!), and other nuts and bolts related to matriculation. At this point, I have received from them a very thoughtful Christmas card, as well as an official admission letter, and a cute little USB with housing options near campus. wondering if I've maybe missed any other information they might've sent out!
    Thanks!

bellaamj likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Spicy Grams

Spicy Grams

Sep 8, 2016
    Does anyone have an interview scheduled for 1/14 and would like to meet up the day before? I fly into SAT at around 2pm, figured it would be nice to know some people in advance.

4. learner01

learner01 2+ Year Member

May 19, 2014
    Just out of curiosity, how did you get that score?

5. doppio

doppio 2+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Who's interviewing on 1/13? I live in California, so I will have to start waking up early so that I won't be so sleepy on Friday. Breakfast starts at 5:30am PT. 0_0
    I'm getting nervous and excited about this interview!!!

6. xcrunner93

xcrunner93

Jun 1, 2016
    I'm interviewing on 1/13 as well! I live in Maryland.

7. doppio

doppio 2+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2014
    I hope both of us do well on the interview! :)

8. allanMED15

allanMED15 2+ Year Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Nashville
    MDApps:
    See you both there!

doppio likes this.
  9. funnybr

funnybr

Dec 8, 2016
    I'll be there 1/13!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

doppio likes this.
  10. mrvercetti

mrvercetti

Oct 20, 2016
    Post int REJECTED. So far 0-2 for interviews, both at new schools. Now I'm worried...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

11. KangarooMD

KangarooMD

Oct 3, 2016

How did you feel about your interviews? Do you think you are doing something wrong that you aren't aware of?

12. Gulliver Dark

Gulliver Dark 2+ Year Member

Oct 23, 2014
    I assume you aren't overly anxious, you're pretty confident and well prepared? Well groomed/dressed? Are your stats very low? That is rough man. Any more interviews upcoming?

13. mrvercetti

mrvercetti

Oct 20, 2016
    Mcat is above 80th percentile and s/cgpa both above 3.3. I have a tailored suit and we'll groomed. As the interview was MMI, I assumed I would not need to prepare much. I felt i did not bomb any of the stations but it's hard to gauge. I have other interviews this month. Thanks and good luck to all

jtr0024 likes this.
  14. KangarooMD

KangarooMD

Oct 3, 2016
    I think it also matters where your state residency is, especially at this point in the game maybe these schools are looking for some more local talent.

15. healingwave

healingwave

May 16, 2016
    Just got the wait list email even though I checked my portal about two weeks and accepted the wait list position.

16. bellaamj

bellaamj

Jan 16, 2016
    My advice is to possibly practice more for the scenarios and personal questions. I recommend using Course Grinder videos, they were actually really helpful in preparing for UIWSOM's interview, so they may be helpful for other interviews as well.

17. serviam9

serviam9 2+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Anyone know if the MMI included role-playing scenarios, or team exercises?

18. kovalchuk71

kovalchuk71 SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor 7+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Would a program even send an II if they thought your stats were too low?

19. xcrunner93

xcrunner93

Jun 1, 2016
    I was wondering this too.

20. NRG87

NRG87

Oct 30, 2016
    We signed a nondisclosure agreement. Can't discuss the specifics of the MMI.

jtr0024 and MADD!!! like this.
  21. Gulliver Dark

Oct 23, 2014
    I definitely think that they would NOT send an interview invite, but I think two candidates with equal interview scores and unequal GPA/MCAT would result in an obvious outcome. I'm just trying to figure out what advice to give him.

kovalchuk71 likes this.
  22. kovalchuk71

kovalchuk71 SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor 7+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Very true. I actually didn't think about it that way.

Gulliver Dark likes this.
  23. Two Sides

Two Sides 2+ Year Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Any word on the pre-ii waitlist?

24. sadiebug33

sadiebug33

Dec 13, 2016

They have updated stuff about fin. aid, FAFSA and scholarships on their website now just in case you were still wondering!

sweetdreamzzz14 and jtr0024 like this.
  25. sadiebug33

sadiebug33

Dec 13, 2016
    I am applying for 2018 entry...sgpa 3.6 and cgpa 3.8, MCAT 501 (although I might take it again since I have time)
    For those of you who have applied/interviewed...are these good stats for at least an interview? I know I could go back a couple pages and gather info from there, but it seems to be easier to ask in general.
    Is anyone else applying for 2018?

26. DOCrohns

DOCrohns

Aug 24, 2016
    I interviewed and am currently on the waitlist with a 3.3cGPA and 3.21sGPA, 500 MCAT. It's possible! I have pretty unique and stellar ECs but don't count UIW because of those stats.

27. sadiebug33

sadiebug33

Dec 13, 2016
    Okay, that gives me hope! I feel confident. I am applying to several other schools, and so far my stats seem to be okay! Phew! Thank you :)

kovalchuk71 likes this.
  28. pripri6

pripri6 2+ Year Member

Dec 16, 2013
    If anyone is interviewing on 1/13 and wants to meet up for lunch or dinner the night before PM me! It would be great to meet you all beforehand!

29. Feedmecupcakes

Feedmecupcakes

May 25, 2016
    Lots of practice tests, many of them open book - if I didn't know an answer I would look it up immediately rather than wait. It worked better than waiting til I forgot the question.

30. allanMED15

Dec 3, 2014
    Nashville
    MDApps:
    I should be getting in early afternoon. Will need to kill some time because my friend I am staying with is a teacher. I'm up for lunch!

31. bellaamj

bellaamj

Jan 16, 2016
    So...I still haven't gotten my official acceptance package...should I call them?

32. jtr0024

jtr0024 2+ Year Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Does anyone know if UIW will have a virtual or regular anatomy lab?

33. DOCrohns

DOCrohns

Aug 24, 2016
    If I remember correctly from the interview, it's a regular lab.

jtr0024 likes this.
  34. serviam9

serviam9 2+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2015
    For the interview day, how is the breakfast during check in? Trying to plan if I should try to have breakfast elsewhere before arriving. Thanks!

35. KangarooMD

KangarooMD

Oct 3, 2016

It's mostly breakfast finger foods and pastries, like mini muffins, OJ, and other stuff, but I avoided the risk of spilling something on my suit or getting something stuck in my teeth and decided to eat breakfast beforehand and brushed the pearly whites!

serviam9 likes this.
  36. MADD!!!

MADD!!! SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Regular lab with cadavers

jtr0024 likes this.
  37. 8404HMFMF

8404HMFMF

Aug 17, 2016
    Everyone that interviewed today, how was it?

38. allanMED15

Dec 3, 2014
    Nashville
    MDApps:
    I'll give my response when I get back to Dallas.

39. allanMED15

Dec 3, 2014
    Nashville
    MDApps:
    Alright y'all. I was so impressed with the interview day yesterday. They really seem to have everything in line to set up a great medical school. Everyone is so nice and enthusiastic about the mission and what they want to accomplish.

The campus is going to be beautiful. The renderings I saw look to be incredible. And there is so much history on the campus that I had no idea about.

As far as the MMI goes, obviously I cannot share any info, but it was fun and nothing like anything that I have done before.

We should be hearing back in about 3 weeks. UIWSOM quickly jumped to the top of my DO list. So we will see what happens!

40. jtr0024

jtr0024 2+ Year Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Yep, impressive school. Top of my list as well.

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

MADD!!! and allanMED15 like this.
  41. member991

member991

Jan 13, 2017
    Would all yall who got accepted/waitlisted please describe your stats? My fiance is freaking out about the programs he's applied to and isn't sure if he should apply to this one as well. He's applied to SMPs and has excellent EC's (specifically for uiw, he was a church leader in his undergrad campus awakening group) but his stats are low. mcat below 500, sGPA 3.2, cGPA 3.4 last 60 hours are 3.6.
    He's a paramedic for 3 years, has clinical experience working in the ER, is 28 with 11 years volunteering at a camp for kids with cancer, eagle scout, selected to be on a board at the hospital he works at which aims to improve the ER experience (has nurses, drs, techs) and has fabulous LORs.

I'm just trying to learn as much about this as I can, so that I can help him with his apps. Any info would be soooo appreciated.

42. jtr0024

jtr0024 2+ Year Member

Mar 27, 2015
    My stats: uGPA: 3.2, sGPA: 3.9, MCAT 513.

How low below 500 is his MCAT?

43. member991

member991

Jan 13, 2017
    He scored a 493, which as far as i can gather is pretty terrible (i dont know anything about this) he did the Kaplan prep course and was consistently scoring well above 500 and he's set to retake it on the 28th, but he's just so nervous that he's going to do poorly again that he's considering canceling. the problem, he says, is he already applied to SMP and DO programs because he'd been planning on retaking the MCAT, which was stated in his apps, but he's worried that canceling will just make him look bad to the DO schools and for whatever reason (see: i dont know anything about this) he cannot withdraw his apps. So now he's wondering if he should take it in the hopes hell do at least slightly better or if he should cancel and risk the DOs looking at him unfavorably in the future. Again, he's 28, and his family is SUUUUUPER unhelpful as far as support goes, so in his mind if he doesn't get in somewhere in this cycle his whole life is ruined.

I'll probably start spiking his dinner with lorazepam soon.

Like really if he doesn't get in, I'm not bothered and I say try again next time, I'm just not even sure of how to support him over the next few months of uncertainty.

44. jtr0024

jtr0024 2+ Year Member

Mar 27, 2015
    My advise would be to get that MCAT score up, consider the SMP programs, and reapply until he gets in.

kovalchuk71 likes this.
  45. member991

member991

Jan 13, 2017
    thanks! I think that's a perfect idea.

46. MADD!!!

Jul 15, 2015
    1) He's being too pessimistic about what medical schools will think of him. Med schools receive thousands of apps, and don't have the time or manpower to analyze each applicant so specifically. So don't worry about that at all, and even if he applies next year they won't remember who he is and reconsider him as a clean slate.

2) He shouldn't take the mcat until he's ready. If he retakes the exam and does about the same or worse, his confidence will go down like crazy AND his chances will be even worse if getting into medical school. He needs to slow down, first and foremost focus on getting a good mcat score, then apply.

3) If he didn't retake any of his courses, then he doesn't need to do an SMP. What he needs to do is score well on the mcat!!!

4) His EC's are fine, but whenever he finishes his mcat tell him to continue clinical experiences like volunteering in a hospital b/c med schools care about showing continued interest in healthcare.

5) Once he does apply, he has to write a stellar personal statement about why he wants to do medicine, you'd be surprised how many people's essays are cliche and insincere.

6) feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

jtr0024 likes this.
  47. member991

member991

Jan 13, 2017
    I'm going to show him this. I've been telling him this but it's easy coming from someone he knows. It would really help coming from someone who has been through the process and been accepted. I think he has a real chance at DO if he can get his MCAT up. Thank you so much!

MADD!!!, jtr0024 and kovalchuk71 like this.
  48. KangarooMD

KangarooMD

Oct 3, 2016
    I agree with what everyone has been stating above. Statistically speaking, only about 40% of applicants get into medical school, and therefore the majority of people every year are re-applicants. It happens, and he shouldn't see it as a failure but just an opportunity to get better before the next cycle starts. Personally and realistically speaking, I don't think he will get in the cycle if he hasn't had any interview invites yet and especially with his current MCAT score (It's like REALLY BAD!.. we are talking like the 25th percentile where 75% of current applicants are better than him from a test stand-point). You want AT LEAST a 500 score for DO schools to even really be on their radar. I would cancel his upcoming MCAT test, because it's way too late for him and it will be a waste of money and credibility if he's not ready (and unless he has been studying for months, you can't get test-day ready that quickly). If he takes it in a month that means he won't get his scores back for 2 months, and at that point all of the medical schools have pretty much wrapped up their interviews and class picks. I would encourage him to take his test again in April or so, and really study hard for the next couple of months and plan on applying again next cycle early in June (Rolling admissions makes this critical!). Tell him not to give up hope, most people always take the MCAT multiple times (I've taken it 4 times), and the only important thing is that you continue improving, (Schools will see all of your MCAT scores and it looks bad if start to go backwards in your scores). Good luck and PM if you have any questions!

MADD!!! likes this.
  49. MADD!!!

Jul 15, 2015
    I've gotten multiple acceptances, and used to be paranoid just like him! It's completely normal, just tell him to not give up and most importantly to not take the mcat until he's ready!!

If he can get a good score, everything else will fall into place. :)

kovalchuk71 likes this.
  50. Gulliver Dark

Oct 23, 2014
    I thought the interview process was pretty smooth, the school looks and sounds great, and I think the school will be a pretty good one in the coming years. They discussed a new residency program they were interviewing students for and more programs to come both in San Antonio and outside (including a unique one I didn't quite catch all the details on but it was not affiliated with a hospital), which I feel like is a good sign for future students who might be worried about matching from a brand new medical school (like me). There were a lot of students there. I'm not really sure how I did. We'll find out in a couple weeks, I suppose.

Some other random thoughts:
    Very friendly staff.
    Facilities lacking for now but if the plan comes to even 80% of its target the campus will be beautiful. There is a huge park being built nearby.
    Love the area. San Antonio in general and the specific area of the school.
    Very mission focused. I'm not a Catholic but appreciate the school and the style, and they seem to be genuine about their mission. The interview day started with a prayer.
    The staff is impressive. Like, seriously impressive. They have staff from several other new medical schools that have been very successful, including a guy from RVUCOM to name just one.
    The curriculum looked pretty good. Attendance sounded mandatory but with lots of afternoons off.
    Very diverse group of applicants. Most of this weekend was from out of state. There were some impressive people there.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but I'm wary of breaking the confidentiality agreement. Overall, I would love to go here. Not just because I want to go to medical school, but nothing about it seemed off except that it was a new school and everything that comes with that... but if they are making their own residencies, there is a little less concern, at least.

Someone earlier said three weeks, but the 12/10 date found out on something like 12/21... Has that been the trend? Three weeks? ~11 days? Just for other deposit/interview/etc situations. That said, UIW is near or at the top so if I have to put that deposit down quickly I won't feel bad.

51. 010011

Apr 7, 2016
    I believe they said we would hear within three weeks? I interviewed 12/9 and they got back to me on 12/22.