SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

University of the Incarnate Word

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by ycamrahp, Apr 13, 2007.

1. ycamrahp

ycamrahp 2+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Has anyone received an acceptance, rejection, or waiting list letter from UIW?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

For a legit school, they sure as heck have a diploma mill-esque name.

4. mbishop

mbishop Texas Tech 2010 5+ Year Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    good job making fun of christianity

5. endurance

endurance 5+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2007
    I haven't heard anything from them yet.

6. guardians

guardians TSU c/o 2011 5+ Year Member

May 17, 2005
    Houston
    The letters should go out around the 20th.

7. Bugieman

Bugieman 2+ Year Member

Apr 17, 2007
    They said they'd send them out by the end of the week

8. Rx Pharmer

Rx Pharmer 2+ Year Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Were you recently told that the letters will go out later this week? I was told that they would try to have the letters out on the 16th during the day of my interview, but I guess not...

9. wbrown

wbrown 2+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2007
    At my interview they told me that all letters would go out on the 20th. That may have changed since then, but hopefully we'll all hear soon.

10. ycamrahp

ycamrahp 2+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2006
    any news

11. ycamrahp

ycamrahp 2+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2006
  12. Rx Pharmer

Apr 3, 2007
    Nope, none at all. You?
    I have a feeling the mail won't arrive till early next week (maybe Wed. the latest)... :(

13. Rx Pharmer

Apr 3, 2007
    Btw, does anyone know if UIW will send out JUST the acceptance letters on April 20th, or are they sending out waitlist/rejection letters as well?

14. ycamrahp

ycamrahp 2+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2006
    not yet.

not sure abut waitlist/rejection letter.

15. wbrown

wbrown 2+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2007
    I know of someone who got a rejection letter yesterday in the mail. However, they did not interview so I'm not sure about whether they'll send waitlist/rejections out to people who did interview.

16. eponine16

eponine16 2+ Year Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I got my acceptance letter today from UIW. Yeah! :)

17. Rx Pharmer

Apr 3, 2007
    Congrats!
    Was your letter postmarked on the 20th?
    And do you live in San Antonio?
    (If you don't mind me asking.)

18. eponine16

eponine16 2+ Year Member

Apr 19, 2007

Yes it was postmarked the 20th and I do live in San Antonio. :)

19. ycamrahp

ycamrahp 2+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Congratulations

:clap:

when was your interview if u don't mind?

20. eponine16

eponine16 2+ Year Member

Apr 19, 2007

My interview was March 29th. :)

21. PeeJoeRickis

PeeJoeRickis

Mar 4, 2007
    for all those who got an interview and no acceptance are they all gonna be put on a waiting list?

22. Rx Pharmer

Apr 3, 2007
    I VAGUELY recall Mrs. Hernandez saying that any interviewed applicants who are not accepted will be placed on a waitlist. (She explained the whole process before the spontaneous writing sample at the 3/29 interview, but since I was freaking out and sort of zoning out, I could've been hearing things I wanted to hear...haha.)
    However, I do remember being told by my interviewers that all the interviewed applicants are ranked, so hopefully they will disclose our # on the waitlist IF we aren't accepted.
    Apparently letters are out, so we'll all find out soon!
    Good luck! :D

23. wbrown

wbrown 2+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2007
    I got an acceptance letter this afternoon (I live in Austin if it matters). I am going to decline it though.

24. Rx Pharmer

Apr 3, 2007
    I received my acceptance letter today as well! I'm so excited! :D

25. guardians

May 17, 2005
    Houston
    Me too! I'm in Houston. :)

26. endurance

endurance 5+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2007
    I got in too! I'm from Houston.

27. endurance

endurance 5+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Hey does anyone know if UIW requires you to dress professionally for classes? I've heard that some schools require it.

28. Rx Pharmer

Apr 3, 2007
    After reading this article,
    http://www.uiw.edu/thewordonline/fall05/goodmedicine.html, I'm pretty sure we will have to dress professionally.
    Have you decided to go to UIW?

29. Rx Pharmer

Apr 3, 2007
    Does anyone know how strict UIW is about maintaining the GPA after acceptance into the program? The letter pretty much says I must AT LEAST have the same GPA, which is one of the policies, and failure to adhere to the policies will automatically negate the offer...?! I think my GPA may drop by 0.04 min. - 0.11 max. by the end of this semester... :( Are any of you having similar problems?

30. guardians

May 17, 2005
    Houston
    I remember Dr. Coleman saying that if you are going to fail a class and it is not a pre req then you should drop the class. She said the "F" can affect your admission. I think if you don't bomb your classes, you should be ok.

31. oldguardisdead

oldguardisdead 2+ Year Member

Jan 18, 2007
    i got an interview for this school for march 29. i rejected the interview because i had already gotten accepted into my 1st choice school, TTU, and last wed. they sent me a letter saying that my GPA was not competitive for this new class. i felt a little off-put by their letter, i guess that's the way they do business: if you decline, they send you a letter saying you weren't good enough anyways? give me a break...

32. guardians

May 17, 2005
    Houston
    Maybe they didn't get your rejection notice. Besides, you already got into your 1st pick and TTU has a great program. Why are you letting this bring you down? Why don't you just be thankful that you got into TTU and maybe someone else will thank you for the spot you gave up to them at UIW. Congrats. :thumbup:

33. oldguardisdead

oldguardisdead 2+ Year Member

Jan 18, 2007
    i replied to the original email they sent me with the interview offer, so i dont see why they did not get it. but i'm not down about it at all, i just felt it was a little odd. but yeah, it does give someone else the opportunity for acceptance to that program. gl to all hoping to get into this school.

34. eponine16

eponine16 2+ Year Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Hi Everyone!
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I created a group on facebook for the UIW Feik School of Pharmacy if anyone wants to join. :) Have a great day everyone! :cool:

35. Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm Member 5+ Year Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Glad I didn't apply. I spoke to the school twice. Both times I spoke to someone that was clueless and had no idea what was going on. Both times I was given a different answer to the same question. I started asking around to friends and coworkers if they knew much about Incarnate Word. Everyone I asked said it had a poor reputation. After talking to them on the phone and hearing what other people said about Incarnate Word, I decided there was no way I was going to apply and I live in San Antonio. I would rather go through the hassle of selling my house and moving to a different town than put up with incompetence everyday of pharmacy school.

36. Rx Pharmer

Apr 3, 2007
    Regarding reputation, were your friends and coworkers referring to the pharmacy school or the university in general? The pharmacy school has only been around for almost a year...so I was wondering if the people you spoke to are ACTUAL P1 students experiencing the problems (not general UIW students). What have you heard that makes the Incarnate Word pharmacy school, specifically, a bad school? Though it is not impossible, it is unlikely to have earned a bad reputation known to the general public after 1 year of opening UNLESS there are negative news articles about the school and/or the P1 students are spreading negative comments based on their experiences. So far the articles I've read support the school, and the pre-pharm and P1 students I spoke to are enjoying it... However, I did not speak to all P1 students, so I am obviously not getting a full insight. I'm really curious because I will be attending this school in the fall.

And if you don't mind, what exactly did you ask them? Prerequisites? Deadline for application/PCAT? Some questions have answers that may not be set in stone (not saying yours is one of them because I don't know what you had asked), so pretty much a school could come off as unorganized and clueless under certain circumstances.

37. Glowwyrm

Jan 11, 2006
    They were referring to the university in general.
    I asked them if I would be able to get a waiver that would allow my older classes to count. The first time I was told I *might* be able to get my older credits to count if it was something like English but they couldn't give me any further info on it far as who I needed to talk to about seeking a waiver etc. The second time I got a "no" and was hung up on.

38. Rx Pharmer

Apr 3, 2007
    Did you speak to a pharmacy school staff member? I would try speaking with Ms. Dicianna, Mrs. Hernandez, or Dr. Coleman. From my experience, they are very friendly and answer promptly to my e-mails.. But wow, I am sorry you had bad experience with the staff. I would have found that extremely rude if I was given a one-word answer and hung up on abruptly.

I almost forgot to add that the housing dept. is :thumbdown: (or at least the particular lady I e-mailed). I asked a couple of yes-or-no questions, and she would either ignore some of them or give me an answer OTHER than "yes" or "no"... I found that very annoying...but again, this is the housing dept. I am referring to, not the pharmacy school itself..

39. Glowwyrm

Jan 11, 2006
    I'm not sure if you are from San Antonio or not. But, the best advice I can give to you is to get an apartment/house that has the description of North in it. If it's not in the northern area of town, you probably don't want to live there. 78207 is also a zip code you want to avoid like the plague.

40. Rx Pharmer

Apr 3, 2007
    Nope, I don't live in San Antonio.. I have a friend who is telling me the same thing about the neighborhoods... He has been around the UIW area only a few times, so he couldn't tell me more about it. Are the crime rates high in those areas, or is it just an older part of town w/not-so-great apartments? Thanks for the tip.

41. endurance

endurance 5+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Hey guys, I must have missed this, but when do classes actually start?

42. BaylorBear06

BaylorBear06 2+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Texas
    i'm from texas, and this was one of the tx schools I didn't consider applying to just because i was worried about the fact that it is new, and the accreditations are still up in the air. however, i do not know anything about the school or its program- but i've heard that UIW is pretty reputable in the san antonio area. i'm still waiting to hear back from UH, but i'm also thinking about the possibility of having to reapply next year (in the unfortunate event that i dont get in) so can any of u guys who have applied/been accepted tell me a little about this program? cuz i'm assuming for all of u, its worth taking the risk for this unaccredited school.

43. Rx Pharmer

Apr 3, 2007
    The academic calendar at the UIW site (http://www.uiw.edu/registrar/documents/2007-2008AcademicCalendar--Approved_001.pdf) says August 20th.

I was worried about accreditation as well, but I felt relieved when I read that the dean has founded two other pharmacy schools (currently accredited). Also, Feik is awaiting candidate status, which will be determined sometime this June.. So basically, if the school receives candidate status, students will have the same rights as those who are from an accredited school and can sit for the NAPLEX (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, I do hope you get accepted at UH this year! :luck:

44. VitaminhD

VitaminhD

May 4, 2008
    Arlington, Texas
    I was wondering if you created just a general 'UIW School of Pharmacy' group or a more specific 'Class of 2012' ?

45. IrishRxMan

IrishRxMan 2+ Year Member

May 1, 2008
    This is a private Catholic university. Hence the name, Incarnate Word as in the Incarnate Word of Christ. It's not a diploma mill either. The dean has served on the board of ACPE as well as currently on APhA and many others. Please do not disrespect the name of my school and I will do likewise for yours.

46. IrishRxMan

IrishRxMan 2+ Year Member

May 1, 2008
    I suggest you start looking at the class of 2012 thread under pharmacy class threads. A lot of your questions have already been answered as well as some you probably haven't thought of yet. There's many facebook groups for our pharmacy school.

47. Pharmcdc

Pharmcdc Troches & lollipops 7+ Year Member

Aug 18, 2005
    San Antonio, Tx
    Irish Im surprised you got sucked into a year old post! check the dates. WVU is a veteran around here. The name of our school has been addressed in a lot different type threads. This whole thread was brought back from the dungeon.:laugh: