University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry (UOP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwadeffan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have more information on this school? Specifically, average GPA/DAT and OOS acceptance rate? Also, it seems too good to be true, what are the biggest cons?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely an expensive school. However I would still be love to go here. I think I read in another thread that they place more emphasis on DAT than gpa and specifically the PAT section is really important to them.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm currently a D1 at UOP. We just finished our first year of school.

The average GPA this year was 3.5. Average DAT was 22. They don't discriminate against anyone out of state (it's a private school), but there are quite a few people from the bay area in my class. I just think that people who are accepted here from OOS tend to choose other schools because it's so expensive.

But honestly, UOP is the best. Everyone is incredibly nice and collaborative. The staff treat you like their colleagues, the alumni are well-involved. We already started waxing on our second day and drilling on our third! It's going to be a tough first year, but I'm really excited.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, I'm currently a D1 at UOP. We just finished our first year of school.

It's going to be a tough first year, but I'm really excited.

So you did or you didn't finish your first year? If you have, can you expand on the courseload what your schedule/those around you is like and maybe what you think are cons beside price.

So you did or you didn't finish your first year? If you have, can you expand on the courseload what your schedule/those around you is like and maybe what you think are cons beside price.

They had to have meant it's their first day. The "already started waxing" portion made it seem like it was just done. Either way, congrats on UoP!

Definitely an expensive school. However I would still be love to go here. I think I read in another thread that they place more emphasis on DAT than gpa and specifically the PAT section is really important to them.

If that's true, that's awesome. My GPA stinks (below 3.5) but my PAT is great.

I read on their website that their average last year was 22, on par with Harvard and UCLA DAT.... If you haven't taken the DAT yet, I would crush it if I were you.

Here is what I was told directly from the admissions. First, they dont really care about the PAT as long as you get a decent score, they care most about AA and RC bc those are the best indicators of how well you will do in dental school and on the boards.
Second, they mostly focus on the grades from your last 2 years of undergrad. So if thats ****ty, a high DAT wont make a huge difference. They will also consider your strength of schedule during those last 2 years. But its true that they really care about your DAT. Even with an above average gpa, you need to score a 20+ to have a good chance at an interview.
This is probably one of the hardest schools to get an interview at because they "interview to accept". So basically, if you receive an interview, there is a very high chance you will get accepted if there are still open spots and you dont bomb the interview.

Cons: expensive tuition and cost of living. Also the first year is super hard and stressful because they condense two years from a normal dental school into just one year. And there are very little breaks.

In my opinion, its the best dental school in the country! Best facilities, best student environments, awesome faculty, and one of the best locations!

Reactions: 2 users
They had to have meant it's their first day. The "already started waxing" portion made it seem like it was just done. Either way, congrats on UoP!

I actually meant I was finished with my first week of UOP.

Courseload:
Well, it's only been my first week. We have a helix curriculum which is explained on this link here:

http://dental.pacific.edu/departments-and-groups/school-initiatives/pacific-dental-helix-curriculum

It basically means that they interlink the courses and some courses build off on the next. The first week was a little confusing on what was going on, but the second years have been so incredibly helpful in helping us organize it out. We have classes from 8am - 5pm every single day, with multiple small quizzes each week. Starting week 3, we have an exam every single Monday.

Everyone here is incredibly genuine and friendly! It isn't competitive in the least, and I am surprised to be in a learning environment where everyone is so collaborative. I was in the process of creating a consolidated calendar for myself and someone beat me to sharing it with the whole class. Everyone genuinely wants you to succeed, including the alumni. Last Friday, we had a cioppino dinner that was cooked and served by alumni (some were from the c/o 1968!). They practice "humanism" here and the faculty really do treat you like one of their colleagues. The Dugoni family lives up to its name.

Cons:
The only con I can think of is the cost of living, and maybe if it takes you a little longer to learn things. Everyone is really helpful here and there are many resources to help you if you're struggling, but they hold really high standards. We just jumped into our didactics, and we started waxing and using handpieces within our first few days here. Be prepared for a tough (but fun!) three years. Be prepared to fail, at some point.

Otherwise, I am absolutely convinced this is the best dental school in the country. I can't imagine a school where I would be happier. :) Let me know if you have any other questions! Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
I got into UoP and was highly highly considering it. By far the bet facilities and awesome city and the students were my favorite. I probably thought UoP was he best fit for me.

Ultimately being married and having a kid on the way made me decide against it because of the accelerated 3 years.

I call this one of those "in a different life" schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I really wanted to apply here because of the 3 year program but the $150k a year is just too much. Especially with the canadian dollar being so low these days :(

Sorry to go a little off-track here...

I'm looking at UoP's prerequisite classes...they require 2 years of bio w/ lab?! Most schools seem to only require 1 year of bio with lab so this caught me off guard.

I only have a year of bio w/ lab, with some microbiology classes (no lab). Am I out of luck? I was hoping to send my app in the future as a hail mary but looks like I'm not even remotely qualified to begin with...

Like the website says, they want students to take an anatomy/physiology course. For me, I took 1 year of anatomy and physiology w/ lab.
And like I said earlier, its a difficult school to get an interview at so if you haven't met that requirement and another applicant has, they most likely will give the interview to the other applicant.
If you want to be sure, call the admissions office. They are really nice and super helpful.

Sorry to go a little off-track here...

I'm looking at UoP's prerequisite classes...they require 2 years of bio w/ lab?! Most schools seem to only require 1 year of bio with lab so this caught me off guard.

I only have a year of bio w/ lab, with some microbiology classes (no lab). Am I out of luck? I was hoping to send my app in the future as a hail mary but looks like I'm not even remotely qualified to begin with...

Pretty sure you're not.. I didn't take two years of bio with lab. I would highly suggest taking microbiology, biochemistry, anatomy and physiology before coming here, though. It's quite a bit of information to take in all at once

Pretty sure you're not.. I didn't take two years of bio with lab. I would highly suggest taking microbiology, biochemistry, anatomy and physiology before coming here, though. It's quite a bit of information to take in all at once

Do you currently go there (or get invited for an interview?). How much biology+lab did you have (were you close to two years or were you like me with just 1 year of bio+lab)?

The lack of anatomy classes on my transcript is really hurting me in my school options (MW Az and UNLV are already off the table without anatomy :/, I'm still looking for more schools to scratch off my list...)