1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

University of Toledo Class of 2013

Discussion in 'Allopathic Class Threads' started by 21isFun, Dec 2, 2008.

1. 21isFun

21isFun Saving people from stupidity since 2013
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hola everyone! Congrats! Just thought I'd get this started up early- the earlier the better, to start the celebrating, getting to know each other, and so on.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ginzo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi,

I'm a deferral student who will be starting with the new class in August. I'm a non-traditional student who is looking forward to changing fields.

We'll be looking to buy a condo that is not too far from UTCOM. If any upperclassmen are looking to unload their place, I might be interested in taking a look and would consider a direct sale.

4. bioteach

bioteach MSIV
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Welcome OP, and welcome back Ginzo!

If you all (or anyone else accepted to UT) have any questions, feel free to ask! I'm a non-trad student just finishing up my first semester of being an MS1 here at Toledo. So far I love it!

Look foward to meeting all the 2013 incoming students!

5. pianoguy05

pianoguy05 Slide Oracle
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hey all,

Congrats on your acceptance; I'm so excited to be matriculating to UTCOM this coming year!

6. tbenny15

Pre-Medical
    Congrats to everyone who was accepted to the Class of 2013! I am excited to be starting at UTCOM in the fall. To Bioteach-do you have any advice about apartments? I have been looking in the Holland/Maumee area, but I wasn't sure if there were any complexes where a lot of the med students live? Also, is there a list of students looking for roommates?

7. AugustWinterMan

2+ Year Member

Looks like I have upwards of a 95% chance that I will be attending UTCOM.

75% is because of the school itself, and medicine, etc...

20% because they smashed MI and contributed to the embarassment that was Rich Rodriguez first season (I go to WVU BTW. The hatred is justified.)

Congratulations to those already accepted and good luck to the hopefuls still beholden to the admissions comittee.

8. 21isFun

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

If you PM me, I can send you some info on some nice places in Holland-they are right off Airport Highway (Rt. 2) and about 10 min from campus. I just put in my application and security deposit to get on the list for a specific floor plan at one place in particular. Its really great and if you pay the app fee and security deposit right now, you can lock in the current special of 2 months free rent even if you are not planning on moving in til summer. It ends up knockin the rent down by over $100 a month and makes one of the nicest pricier places one of the least expensive. There is also a referral bonus, so if you name me as the person who referred you if you end up living there I'm willing to throw $50 or so your way haha. Anyways they said there are like 50 med students living there and they are pet friendly in case you are wondering, so like I said PM me and i'll send you all the details.

Congrats again everyone!

9. bioteach

bioteach MSIV
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I can't give you much info on that because my husband and I rent a house in the north end of the city. I know people last year found roommates on facebook and there is an official orientation group webpage that gets emailed out to everyone mid-summer. You can post about roommates, etc on that.

10. Noondoo

Resident [Any Field]
    First of all, I would like to congratulate you all on the achievement of getting into medical school and choosing to come to UTCOM. I'm a fourth-year at UTCOM applying to a very competitive residency and I can tell you without a doubt in my mind, you will not be disappointed with your education or your residency option.
    I will be starting residency in a few months and leaving Toledo. With that being said, I have a beautiful, spacious condo that I've just put on the market. It is a 4 bedroom, 3 full bathroom, two-car garage, four-years-old, ¾ of a mile from UTCOM condo located in a very nice Toledo neighborhood. There are two bedrooms and two bathrooms upstairs and two bedrooms and one bathroom downstairs in a fully finished basement. The basement has its own separate kitchen including an oven, stove, sink and refrigerator. The downstairs basement unit can be rented out as a separate unit as we do right now. This offsets the mortgage making it ridiculously low (lower than I could rent an apartment for) and if you rent out the extra upstairs bedroom as well, then you can easily make money on the place every month and still get to live in a beautiful condo with covered parking for 2 right near campus. The neighborhood has its own snow removal and lawn care services. The house itself has many upgrades including hardwood floors in the kitchen and dining room and granite countertops in the upstairs bathrooms. It is in fabulous shape. Below is a link which provides more information about the condo. As I'm sure you are all are aware right now the housing market is a buyers market and this place is an absolute steal for its price! If you have any further questions or interest please PM me.
    http://wellesbowen.activemls.com/cgi-bin/detail.pl?cat=con&id=4651203
    Best of luck to you all!!

11. 21isFun

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    the semester is quickly coming to an end...anybody else find the reality of this whole deal starting to sink in?

12. AugustWinterMan

2+ Year Member

Does anyone know when the financial aid things get settled? It seems late to me - these kinds of things are typically settled before May 15th, right?

13. RunShare

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm currently an MS1. Last year, I got my financial aid package in June. They're not exactly quick in that office. I just got mine for next year in the mail a few days ago, so I'm guessing they just started working on your class.

Also, congrats to everyone and I hope to see you in the fall! Feel free to ask me any questions!

14. bioteach

bioteach MSIV
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It feels like forever before you get it. Sometime mid summer.

15. CSnowFoxD

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hm, don't know if this is the right place to ask, but since there are lots of cool Toledo ppl here... :p

Does anyone know what email to send in a deferral letter to? I called and was told to send it in as email, but I'm not sure which one. Sigh, kinda bummed messy personal things means I won't be starting with you guys in August, but ah well, better to start in a better state of mind next year since it is med school and I'll need all my attention on it. Oh, and thanks if there's anyone who can answer my question!

16. RunShare

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

I'm just guessing, but probably Dr. Kleshinski with a copy to Sandy in admissions. I would call back and ask if you're really not sure. Sorry for the delayed response!

17. Ginzo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You can send it to Dr. Kleshinski directly. That's what I did last year.

18. sourgrapes

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    1-2 BEDROOMS FOR RENT!!

LOCATED VERY CLOSE TO MUO-UT Health Sciences campus.

Price: $425 includes utilities and rooms are furnished.

Washer and Dryer located in-house.

Convenient Parking available.

Call 419-381-1568 and ask for Rose. Price is negotiable.

19. fahimaz7

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

#18 fahimaz7, Jun 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  20. 21isFun

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Are there any first or second years (Abilene, Depakote,etc) that have the textbook list for M-1? I was hoping to get a peek to see if we've used the texts in undergrad- I know we use one of the same texts but i wanted to see if there was more.

21. whathehey

Pre-Medical
    Going to med school next year and I am going to be leasing a two bedroom apartment in Linda and Susan Arms Apartment, which is within walkable distance (.6 miles) from the health sciences campus. This apartment received very high ratings from previous medical school students in terms of safety, quietness, and management. Most of the people living here are professionals/graduate students as well. You will be getting the master bedroom for a pretty nominal price of $265+utilities(shared). The apartment is on the top floor so you don't have to worry about loud neighbors and it will save a lot on heating during winter. You can get a virtual tour of the apartment and see the floor plans on forrent.com. You can email me at shirkshark (at) gmail.com if ur interested.

22. Abilene85

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Some of the books that were required or recommended for M1 two years ago - Moore Clinically Oriented Anatomy, Grant's dissector, Netter Atlas, Moore and Persaud Developing Human, Gartner and Hiatt Color Text of Histology, Purves?? Neuroscience, Haines Neuroanatomy Atlas, Sadock Synopsis of Psychiatry, and Andreasen, Intro Textbook of Psychiatry.

Certainly don't go purchase any of these books, because they have likely changed in two years.

The class notes are excellent and really all you need to learn the material and do well on exams. During M1, I used the dissector (this is required - my group split the cost 4 ways for a copy in the gross lab, and there was a link to a PDF of the dissector to read and prepare before the labs), an old edition of the embryo text (the embryo prof doesn't give you notes and doesn't cover everything in lecture), and the neuroanatomy atlas. Most people used Netter a lot, and it's a good reference to have, but I preferred to learn from the lecture notes and our cadaver.

23. DrYoda

DrYoda Space Cowboy
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you join the 2009 orientation group (go to the group button next to the email button on myut) they have a list of books posted for 2009-2010. It's under files once you join the group.

They also have a spreadsheet of how current med students rate some of the apartment complexes in the area if anyone's interested.

24. CC437

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wouldn't worry too much about books for first year. The only one's a bought/looked at were Grant's dissector and the Netter atlas for anatomy. This isn't to say you never have to look at the books (I probably should have if I wanted to maximize my learning) but the class notes they give you will by far be your main resource. You have enough to learn from the class notes (and this is what they're drawing their questions from).

25. 21isFun

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So hopefully the upperclassmen can help with this.

I will probably buy the BRS series as well as a current copy of First Aid. But I may also buy a few text books. So if you are going to buy a few books- which ones?

Histology- I've heard Wheaters Histology is better than the required book. I was thinking I'll probably get this one.

Biochem -should I get the Stryer's book or go for Lippincott's illustrated book?

Anatomy- def will buy Grant's dissector, but should I get Big Moore's which is listed as required, or should I go with baby Moore's which I've heard most people say will suffice? I guess I'll probably buy Netter's atlas as well.

Embryo-Do I need any books?

Neuroscience- once again, do I need books?

Behavioral Science-neither book is listed as required?

Logitudinal courses- I'll probably skip the ethical dilemmas book, but I may buy the Bate's guide to Physical exam- anyone think we'll need this or prefer the Mosby's guide?

Lastly, any other Review books (other than BRS and First Aid) that you found to be helpful in M1?

Thanks!

26. bioteach

bioteach MSIV
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You'll want a Grant's and a Netter's. Wait on the rest until you get to each block. Also, don't buy any current editions - unless you want to waste money. I bought most of the required/recommended books because I like having the text. I was definitey in the minority in that respect. Also, I bought them all on ebay (1 to 2 editions old) and didn't spend more than $20 on a single book.

I had First Aid with great intentions to annotate it as I went, but haven't touched it yet.