University of Toledo in Ohio VS. University of South Florida SELECT Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is my situation, Im from Chicago and am having a difficult time choosing between these two programs. I would ideally like to be closer to home, and match back to a residency in Chicago after 4 years. However, this SELECT Program is one of a kind, and offers a diverse experience and opportunities to change the direction of healthcare. But, Toledo offers the proximity to home, and a cheaper tuition ( 35,000 a year after receiving instate tuition after one year as opposed to 55,000 a year at USF SELECT all 4 years, no opportunity for "in state" tuition). I would appreciate any help, in case Im missing anything. I've been looking at cost vs matching vs location vs vibe, and I feel Toledo wins all of those besides the location, any thoughts?

Thanks everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have some compelling reason to go to Tampa/Lehigh valley, I'd just go with Toledo.

Both schools offer similar opportunities (USF may have slightly more b/c of TGH and Moffitt) but since you'll be doing your clinicals in PA, you won't really benefit from the hospitals in Tampa.

The extra leadership training sounds nice, but it will take away from time spent studying for classes and prepping for the boards. Just something to consider. In the end, It depends on how much you value the extra training itself and how interested you are in a career in public policy or advocacy.

USF would likely help to get a residency spot in FL, while Toledo will be more well known in the Midwest.

Thanks for the advice! That makes sense, I've never lived in Pennsylvania or Florida, and although the opportunities for leadership are there, I feel I'd be more comfortable closer to home and would be able to concentrate for the boards in Ohio.
Thank-you!

I'm from Florida, and I'd recommend going to Toledo. I don't think USF SELECT is worth the extra cost for you.

People say not to agonize about the cost when choosing medical schools, but I can't stop looking at it, especially when the two schools appear equal in my opinion. Thanks!!

People say not to agonize about the cost when choosing medical schools, but I can't stop looking at it, especially when the two schools appear equal in my opinion. Thanks!!

Cost is important. Those individuals that say it isn't are kidding themselves. If I were in your shoes I would easily choose Toledo. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the advice, I have also looked at some of the match lists and Toledo appears to do very well, even better in some areas that USF, I think I know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.