University of Toledo MSBS 2015-2016 (SMP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who else is still waiting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Still waiting. I left a message yesterday

Has anyone who was accepted via phone call actually gotten an official letter of acceptance? Looking through all of the info Katie e-mailed me and it doesn't look like I can get the ball rolling on any of this without getting officially accepted/having a student rocket ID#. (If I'm wrong about that someone feel free to correct me.)

Also, is there anywhere to view financial aid info? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who was accepted via phone call actually gotten an official letter of acceptance? Looking through all of the info Katie e-mailed me and it doesn't look like I can get the ball rolling on any of this without getting officially accepted/having a student rocket ID#. (If I'm wrong about that someone feel free to correct me.)

Also, is there anywhere to view financial aid info? Thanks in advance!

I received a call from Katie earlier this week about my acceptance, and she informed that the official letter of acceptance will arrive in mail in few days. I haven't taken the time to thoroughly read the attached documents in her email, but I believe one of them has instructions on how set up your rocket ID.

I received a call from Katie earlier this week about my acceptance, and she informed that the official letter of acceptance will arrive in mail in few days. I haven't taken the time to thoroughly read the attached documents in her email, but I believe one of them has instructions on how set up your rocket ID.

Yeah, it has instructions on how to set it up, but the actual ID number itself comes with the official acceptance letter. Oh well, I guess there's not much to do til they get stuff going on their end.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else heard anything ? This is supposed to be the last day to find out.

Yeah, it has instructions on how to set it up, but the actual ID number itself comes with the official acceptance letter. Oh well, I guess there's not much to do til they get stuff going on their end.
My acceptance letter is at my old apartment waiting for me but I just emailed Katie last week and she gave me my rocket ID number so I could set everything up.

Anyone else heard anything ? This is supposed to be the last day to find out.
If today is the last day, they should be sending out lots of acceptances because the class is no where close to being filled yet

If today is the last day, they should be sending out lots of acceptances because the class is no where close to being filled yet
Yes it is. When I spoke to CBC on tuesday, she said it had 38/40 seats filled. I don't think they are offering anymore spots, just waiting to hear back from the last couple people.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Yes it is. When I spoke to CBC on tuesday, she said it had 38/40 seats filled. I don't think they are offering anymore spots, just waiting to hear back from the last couple people.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

So they did cut down the class size by 10-15 people compared to the last few years. That could be a good thing I guess, gives a bit more opportunity to get know the faculty.

So they did cut down the class size by 10-15 people compared to the last few years. That could be a good thing I guess, gives a bit more opportunity to get know the faculty.
Yeah, it's to accommodate for those who were deferred a year she said - makes sense

I have declined my acceptance into the MSBS program in favor of a different program. I hope my spot is given to someone else - best of luck to you all

Reactions: 1 users
I got the call on Wednesday. I emailed CBC a couple questions I had for her but I haven't gotten a response yet. I'll probably just email Katie back today and decline my acceptance. I'm just going to go to Michigan instead since I'm having a hard time trusting the program given everything that happened this year. Good luck to you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called today again, apparently Bennett-Clarke and Katie aren't even in the office today. And Bennett Clark is transitioning to retiring and no one knows what's going on from who I spoke to today. Was told everything would be done today last week and the same thing the week before and has been getting the run around . The lady I spoke to today even admitted its a mess. Apparently Clarke hasn't been in the office very much and comes in every couple days. Having a hard time talking to anyone to get answers or anyone in a position that is making decisions .

Who was the lady you spoke to?

I called today again, apparently Bennett-Clarke and Katie aren't even in the office today. And Bennett Clark is transitioning to retiring and no one knows what's going on from who I spoke to today. Was told everything would be done today last week and the same thing the week before and has been getting the run around . The lady I spoke to today even admitted its a mess. Apparently Clarke hasn't been in the office very much and comes in every couple days. Having a hard time talking to anyone to get answers or anyone in a position that is making decisions .

This program is looking more like a sinking ship everyday. Has it been announced who will be taking over the program?

Her name was Caitlyn and she was taking calls in Katie's office in medical education. No she said they are still looking for someone. Very frustrating.

Does the 40 people include those who were deferred?

Does the 40 people include those who were deferred?

What? They decreased the next MSBS class size to combat the issue of the 15 or so that were deferred for one year. They already completed MSBS so no the 40 does not include them. the 40 is the people in the next class. from what i'm understanding.. correct me if i'm wrong

That makes sense from what others are saying.

I decided to decline my acceptance in favor of going elsewhere. I'm sure they will fill my spot with one of you guys still waiting to hear, so best of luck to ya.

Can you elaborate- what are we missing?

I think this was a very, very unique year for this program. Unfortunately though, a lot of other people are probably picking programs LESS likely to get them into medical school because of it.

I think this was a very, very unique year for this program. Unfortunately though, a lot of other people are probably picking programs LESS likely to get them into medical school because of it.

the program lost an adcom voting member last year, there is a new asst dean in place who is the reason behind a lot of this, the program director retired, and no one has any idea who will be in charge of the program a month from now.

which of these make this year's situation sound like a temporary one?

And even if everything does work out and an absolutely excellent person takes over the program and they manage to convince the new asst dean that MSBS students are God's gift to medicine, the fact of the matter is the damage has been done and its going to take at least a year for the affects of this year to play out. We've already seen some of the fallout, the class size has been cut by ~10-15 people.

You cant hold it against people for not wanting to be apart of what will be, at best, a major rebulding year.

I don't really think that would classify not attending Toledo as a mistake. There's no way to tell whether this situation is going to be unique to that one class year only, and like reaper said whatever happens it's the 2015-2016 class that's going to feel the backlash of whatever happened last year. Current students who are holding acceptances to multiple SMP's should take that into consideration and, if they can, accept an invitation different SMP with a similar repute as Toledo before this entire incident.

Hell, I'd say that even future SMP students should be wary of Toledo for a few years after this, just to see how their alumni end up matriculating into medical schools after the program shift and how many actually get into Toledo. It doesn't mean that they shouldn't enter the program at all, just that it's very understandable that people have their reservations about it after all of the students that got deferred.

the program lost an adcom voting member last year, there is a new asst dean in place who is the reason behind a lot of this, the program director retired, and no one has any idea who will be in charge of the program a month from now.

which of these make this year's situation sound like a temporary one?

^All true. Old assistant dean was VERY pro MSBS/new assistant dean is very anti MSBS. He spent the whole year saying there was a seat for each of us/Now he's told some individuals that his plan was to take 15ish/48 this year only and reject the rest (Without a deferred list). The last advocate for the program (though we saw this year that she has no real pull), CBC, has retired. I'm honestly surprised they accepted as many as 40 into the incoming class with 15ish deferred, 30-40 Medstart and 20 rejected MSBS who are guaranteed interviews for this upcoming year…

I understand the reservations of attending Toledo this upcoming year. I wouldn't say it's impossible to matriculate after succeeding but I would come into the program with a realistic viewpoint: Apply broadly this upcoming year and update schools throughout the year/Get good grades in this SMP so that you can apply the year after this program. The strong linkage may no longer exist.

So basically we got wait listed but instead of just telling us the format we kinda had to figure it out on our own

After 4 messages to 3 different people and being left hanging for over a week I just got this email from Katie with nothing else

"Good morning!

As of now our class is complete. Thank you for your email and I apologize for any inconvenience."

anyone on this thread decided to decline their offer?

Just been admitted to the program…what a relief!

Reactions: 2 users
got my call of admittance right after work earlier today! finally can breathe!

This is still a great program to get into med school, hopefully one transition year where 30 or so people still got into medical school didn't deter too many people into joining more prestigious SMPs thinking they will help more...

Hey guys, Good luck to those of you that were accepted.

You can take this with a grain of salt, I just felt uniquely qualified to comment on this program. My History with MSBS:
I had a C in Biochem then All A's and a HP/A in neuro with no connections and amazing interviews, connected with a few faculty members. I'm a generally nice person, but I hate being a brown-noser and tend to connect to people who I genuinely click with.

Currently a 2nd Year Medical Student at another school.

A few pointers,
I was in this program a few years ago. I have gotten messages and calls from MSBS students that also didn't get in. They get my info from a student that was either a MS1/MS2 while I was in MSBS or someone from my MSBS class. This is a new account, I forgot my username/password, and wanted to start new at some point anyway.

My general advice is do as well as you can, honestly. All A's. If you get a B or C in Biochem, I would seriously start prepping for going another round of the application process next year and try to beef up your application (volunteering/clinical exposure/connecting with docs/faculty, etc) while in MSBS.

The people in my class that got in were either at the top of the class got all A's or they were connected with someone at UT, UT-COM, or they had a prestigious /semi--prestigious with someone else in the medical community. Family or Close Family friend at another medical or healthcare institution -- Not sure if anyone has said this yet.

There were a few unconnected students that got amazing grades (ALL HP/A's) AND had good interviews and still got rejected. Then there were connected students with so-so grades (C in biochem, A or B's in the grad classes and B/C in neuro) that were accepted off the waiting list.

I had a C in Biochem then All A's and a HP/A in neuro with no connections and amazing interviews (both of my interviewers went to bat for me and got shot down, I found out later from a very credible resource). Prior to my interviews everyone I talked to feltI should be OK, especially because I had an upward trend of grades, etc..

If MSBS asks you to stick around for a year or that they will seriously consider you for the next class via that guaranteed interview the following year. I wouldn't count on it. I don't know what happened with last years class, but 100% of the students I have spoken to have been in this weird limbo and then UTCOM, denies them after promising that they will seriously consider them the next application year.

I would re-apply to medical schools early, take in any feedback you got from the MSBS program/professors/ administration that helps improve your application and get the hell out of Toledo.

I wish I had gotten this perspective before I started MSBS. All of the people I spoke to before starting MSBS, were some variation of sons, cousins, nieces/nephews of someone that knew someone at UTCOM. I was kinda lulled into a false sense of security. One told me personally they got C's in both Biochem and Neuro and still was offered an acceptance.

This program is best for you if you perform very well in classes/blocks, you are charismatic (not kidding) and know how to use those social skills (with students/faculty) to get people on your team or if you are connected to someone established in medicine/healthcare/or UTCOM.
Otherwise, I would be very cautious and use this program as application booster. For me, UTCOM-MSBS was a hard, expensive lesson that who you know is just as important as what you know. May the odds be ever in your favor...

I'm currently a second year at another school. If you have any questions comments feel free to message me, 2nd year is busy so I can't promise to respond right away, but I will respond! :)

Last edited:
I have a pretty unique situation. I looked at the requirements and it says a 3.0 GPA or greater is RECOMMENDED.I didn't do too well in my undergrad, i graduated with a 2.7 GPA. Knowing this I busted my butt over my MCAT and got a 37. Considering that, am I competitive in getting into this program?

How did the 2016 SMP graduates do in terms of getting into Toledo?? Anyone hear anything?

How did the 2016 SMP graduates do in terms of getting into Toledo?? Anyone hear anything?

They did pretty well, more than 60% got in, with no weird year deferrment things happening like last year.

That being said, the future of the program is changing. They are trying to increase the class size and increase the number of students who get in elsewhere as well as Toledo. They realize that it has been a feeder program in the past, leaving the students who don't get in to fend for themselves. The cirriculum is more relevant (instead of just a place holder while the M1s are taking anatomy), but wont start until October 24th, so I'll have to report back on that later!

Let me know if you have any other questions! Are you applying to this program?