University of Toronto Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc1004

future_doc
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is your thread.

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if anyone heard anything - it feels so strange not to be able to compulsively check every day!

Members don't see this ad :)
According to their admission blog, there will be a big review day tomorrow for grad students. Fingers crossed!

According to their admission blog, there will be a big review day tomorrow for grad students. Fingers crossed!

Haven't checked up on the blog for a while, but thanks for the headsup!

I thought this was interesting:
"There are new interviewers every weekend so there’s no long term comparisons going on."

The lack of news is blessedly good, haha

Anyone hear from UofT recently? They have been awefully quiet.. Deborah posted that there still needs to be 2400 rejections to be made!?

Anyone hear from UofT recently? They have been awefully quiet.. Deborah posted that there still needs to be 2400 rejections to be made!?

No, she said a TOTAL of about 2400 will be sent out excluding the original wave of 600. So some of the "2400" have been sent already while others haven't.

Members don't see this ad :)
U of T is alive and well, I got my invite about 20 minutes ago. Seems like it's a late night for Leslie and co.

So how many people total are interviewing? 2400? 3000!?:eek:

No, a TOTAL of 2400 will be rejected pre-interview.. and congrats on the interview fuzzybunny what weekend are they interviewing for now?? How many regrets do you guys think still are going to be sent?

Since there have been several invites today, I guess we can assume that there have been few regrets that have been sent out as well?

Does anyone know how many people they will be interviewing for the 250 or so spots?

Does anyone know how many people they will be interviewing for the 250 or so spots?

I think somewhere in the area of 550 ish + or - quite a bit because they said the number interviewed is quite flexible.

Yep that sounds about right, Deborah mentioned somewhere that they will go above 600 if they need to. If they "want to talk to you" they will invite you, regardless of the numbers.

I'm interviewing on March 4th as well. I think they give at least 2 weeks notice to the people that live OOP (I'm from Calgary), so that's why it was a late night tonight... needed to get all those invites out

Good luck to everyone that hasn't heard! I know from these last 3 weeks that it really sucks to be in suspense and not know when you'll hear... But good things come to those who wait! Hang in there :)

is there any elective/ observership available in UOT in month of december for IMGs?

Hey guys, I know that it is a kind of weird question to ask. But please try to understand that I am foreigner and I would like to get admitted to Med School of U of T as everybody on this forum :) Only thing I could not get is pre med Bachelor degree. Do anybody have information on requirements of admission to biology faculty for pre med students?

Kind regards.

being a non Canadian and Non US citizen, what are my chances with a 3.66 cum gpa and a 3.58 sci gpa and a 31 MCAT.

Mind you the GPA is according to AMCAS, nothing else.

being a non Canadian and Non US citizen, what are my chances with a 3.66 cum gpa and a 3.58 sci gpa and a 31 MCAT.

Mind you the GPA is according to AMCAS, nothing else.

Like i said with McGill UofT average is 35 MCAT 3.9 GPA, you won't have a chance

I'm currently doing A levels, planning on applying to UofT for Life Sciences to get into Medicine as an international student. I've heard its super hard for international students to get into medicine in UofT or anywhere in Canada. I'd appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this please!

I'm currently doing A levels, planning on applying to UofT for Life Sciences to get into Medicine as an international student. I've heard its super hard for international students to get into medicine in UofT or anywhere in Canada. I'd appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this please!

There are at best 10 spots in all of Canada every year for internationals, mostly at UofT and McGill. That is it. Its easier to get into US medical schools as an international although getting into US medical schools itself is very very difficult. Why do you want to come to Canada?

Coming to Canada as a physician is really tough if you aren't a citizen. Its a very competitive process for domestic students and much more so for internationals. The easiest way would probably be to do medical school and residency in a country like the US or if not then the UK/Australia/NZ or Ireland and then immigrate to Canada although obviously that would entail many many years in a different country, not really ideal.

The thing is, if you aren't a genius you probably won't be successful. If you don't come out of A levels with A*A*A you probably don't really have a shot. Most Canadians avoid UofT Life Sci for its difficult marking, it is quite difficult to secure the 3.9 most desire to apply to medical school. UofT has very low entry standards for UG Life Sci so they let in a lot of undergraduate students but very very few will get the top grades you need to be competitive. As an international its not any easier to get grades and on top of that you'll have much less opportunity to get into medical school. Its almost a crap shoot even if you are stellar.

There are at best 10 spots in all of Canada every year for internationals, mostly at UofT and McGill. That is it. Its easier to get into US medical schools as an international although getting into US medical schools itself is very very difficult. Why do you want to come to Canada?
Thank you so much for all the info! I was considering all my options for med schools ranging from India to US, and Canada seemed like a good option because of the Co-op life science program where you can earn while you study, and plus I wanted to spend a few years exploring all my options just in case I find something more attractive than medicine. I decided on this pretty late, hence missed the deadline for applying to US, therefore I am still considering UofT.
Are you a med student studying in Canada?

Thank you so much for all the info! I was considering all my options for med schools ranging from India to US, and Canada seemed like a good option because of the Co-op life science program where you can earn while you study, and plus I wanted to spend a few years exploring all my options just in case I find something more attractive than medicine. I decided on this pretty late, hence missed the deadline for applying to US, therefore I am still considering UofT.
Are you a med student studying in Canada?

I'm actually a med student in the UK but i'm a Canadian. Honestly, UofT has deceptively low entry standards, so I just want to warn you about that. You'll have like 800-1000 students in your first class about 400 by the end of first year. In the end probably 30-40 people get into medicine in any school and that is just for Canadians. I think the co-op program is good, seeing as you'll likely get the experiences in life sciences and research but seeing as your are doing A levels i'm assuming you'll be an international student. If you really want to become a doctor I just think its an awfully risky and expensive way to go.

With the UK you can do medicine from the start of high school, you'll get to stay and be a doctor there and they will definitely look at A-levels, so maybe that is a thought, I think its worth taking a gap year to apply to the UK anyways and you'll probably need a few healthcare ECs if you want to apply so you'll have some time to pick those up.

Old thread, but curious to hear of any US citizens (without Canadian citizenship or PR status) were admitted.