University of Toronto Pharmacy 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Ayase Would you say I would be old for a first year pharmacy student (24)? haha
I'll be 24 by the start of the semester, so you won't be alone on that boat lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
BC. It's going to be such large change.

I was also waitlisted for Graduate House, though I'm not sure how worth it it would be.
I'm personally hoping I get in just because it would relieve some stress from having to find a place and everything. I also don't know the city so I'm not sure where to look or anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how much experience U of T students are able to get compared to Waterloo students? I know U of T has EPE which is about a month after first and second year and is unpaid vs 4 months of paid coop at Waterloo. Are U of T students usually ableto find relevant employment for the rest of the summer?

Also does anyone know if the workload is relativelysimilar between both schools?

I'll be 24 in like 2 days so add one more if I end up going.

Anyone else surprised that we don't need to pay a deposit?

I've seen you reference courses which are from (I think) University of Toronto. What about if you don't come from University of Toronto? Do the exemptions apply then?

Like I said, for anatomy/physio/pharmacology, they will accept equivalent courses from other universities. I think they do for the other two as well, but I've just never seen it happen in practice.

@BlackBeltN: I know several people, myself included, who have found paid positions either during the year or during the summer after EPE. Sure, you don't get dedicated semesters of working experience like at Waterloo, but finding a place to work during the summer shouldn't be a problem if you're willing to put the effort into job searching.

Anyone know how much of the class is usually made up of students getting in after 2nd year undergrad? I hope there's a few others that are also 20

Anyone know how much of the class is usually made up of students getting in after 2nd year undergrad? I hope there's a few others that are also 20

Definitely the minority compared to people who got in after 3rd or 4th year, but there is still a considerable number (can't really give you a % estimate).

I'll be 24 in like 2 days so add one more if I end up going.

Make that one more, I'm 25 already. At this point it really makes no difference, we're all still students anyways, I think if I had been working in a full time job then it would feel different coming back to school.

Also, I think it's safe to say no facebook group for our class. Someone here should just make one.

Make that one more, I'm 25 already. At this point it really makes no difference, we're all still students anyways, I think if I had been working in a full time job then it would feel different coming back to school.

Also, I think it's safe to say no facebook group for our class. Someone here should just make one.

There is one, actually. The admins are just holding off confirming requests until they know who's actually supposed to be in the group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/630161760417047/

Members don't see this ad :)

I am one of those people. : )

I'm personally hoping I get in just because it would relieve some stress from having to find a place and everything. I also don't know the city so I'm not sure where to look or anything.

That's true, though what are you planning to do if that falls through and you don't get a spot? :/

I am one of those people. : )

That's true, though what are you planning to do if that falls through and you don't get a spot? :/
To be honest I'm just hoping for the best lol. I do have a few friends in the area so hopefully they'll be able to give me some advice, but my fingers are crossed.

To be honest I'm just hoping for the best lol. I do have a few friends in the area so hopefully they'll be able to give me some advice, but my fingers are crossed.

Yeah finding places to live is a huge pain. I'm heading down this weekend to check out a few spots but so many of the leases are pretty much starting July 1st, my lab/work is not gonna be happy if I peace out in 2 weeks lol

Yeah finding places to live is a huge pain. I'm heading down this weekend to check out a few spots but so many of the leases are pretty much starting July 1st, my lab/work is not gonna be happy if I peace out in 2 weeks lol
If it's anything like Calgary, where I currently live, I had to wait until two weeks before I moved in to find a place. Hopefully Toronto isn't like that. Where are you moving from?

which research lab in Montreal are you working at?

If it's anything like Calgary, where I currently live, I had to wait until two weeks before I moved in to find a place. Hopefully Toronto isn't like that. Where are you moving from?
Well im gonna find out, people are showing me places with the intention of moving in I think July 1st. Honestly, the earlier the better, I really wanna get settled in and stuff and spend the summer in Toronto.

I'm from Montreal, the city is awesome, but I'm seriously due for a change in scenery

Well im gonna find out, people are showing me places with the intention of moving in I think July 1st. Honestly, the earlier the better, I really wanna get settled in and stuff and spend the summer in Toronto.

I'm from Montreal, the city is awesome, but I'm seriously due for a change in scenery
Every once in awhile you need a change of scenery. It's why I left the Maritimes and headed to Calgary for grad school.

Every once in awhile you need a change of scenery. It's why I left the Maritimes and headed to Calgary for grad school.

Yeah and also, I love big cities, doing the interview was the first time I went to Toronto in like 15 years, and I really liked it.

Hi guys, for those who got in and are already at U of T, how exactly do we cancel course registration with the faculty of Arts and Science?

Yeah and also, I love big cities, doing the interview was the first time I went to Toronto in like 15 years, and I really liked it.
Definitely a lot more to do in big cities. I've definitely developed a liking to them. Being downtown while studying will be pretty cool I think.

I spent the first 6 years of my canadian life in Toronto and the next 6 in Montreal.

TBH: Toronto >>>> Montreal and Ontario >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Quebec.

The only thing better in Montreal is the Habs (oh noooo).

I spent the first 6 years of my canadian life in Toronto and the next 6 in Montreal.

TBH: Toronto >>>> Montreal and Ontario >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Quebec.

LOOOL Guaranteed that hierarchy is legit

Alright, quick question. I might just be daft but what does it mean when it says Houses/UPS on the course schedules? I honestly have no idea what that means and what it entails, there doesn't seem to be any information on it that I can find in the course outline section.

Alright, quick question. I might just be daft but what does it mean when it says Houses/UPS on the course schedules? I honestly have no idea what that means and what it entails, there doesn't seem to be any information on it that I can find in the course outline section.

Well, if you think of Houses from Harry Potter, that gives you a good idea what it's about, LOL. The Houses/UPS slot on your schedules is there because that's when House events typically take place.

Basically, at the beginning of the year, you'll be divided into houses named after former deans - each house has a name and a colour. I don't exactly know how they decide on who goes where, but last year I was put in the same house as everyone in my frosh group. It's basically an effort by the faculty to encourage people to participate in the wide selection of clubs/events that are offered. You can receive UPS points for things such as attending a lunch and learn, starting a club, achieving first class honours at the end of the year, or participating in a sports team. After you've redeemed your points, they get added to the point total for your house, but there are also awards for individuals who achieve a certain number of UPS points by themselves. I'm not quite sure what the house that accumulates the most points gets, unfortunately.

Oh, and UPS starts for Undergraduate Pharmacy Society - as a pharmacy student, you're automatically part of it.

Last edited:
Well, if you think of Houses from Harry Potter, that gives you a good idea what it's about, LOL. The Houses/UPS slot on your schedules is there because that's when House events typically take place.

Basically, at the beginning of the year, you'll be divided into houses named after former deans - each house has a name and a colour. I don't exactly know how they decide on who goes where, but last year I was put in the same house as everyone in my frosh group. It's basically an effort by the faculty to encourage people to participate in the wide selection of clubs/events that are offered. You can receive UPS points for things such as attending a lunch and learn, starting a club, achieving first class honours at the end of the year, or participating in a sports team. After you've redeemed your points, they get added to the point total for your house, but there are also awards for individuals who achieve a certain number of UPS points by themselves. I'm not quite sure what the house that accumulates the most points gets, unfortunately.

Oh, and UPS starts for Undergraduate Pharmacy Society - as a pharmacy student, you're automatically part of it.

ok so what you are saying is Les Dan is the greatest school of all time.

Oh wow a lot more people from Montreal in here than I thought.

I really miss being able to get alcohol from basically anywhere though. :(

I really miss being able to get alcohol from basically anywhere though. :(

oh does toronto Deps like Mac's (aka couche ****) doesn't carry alcohol ? it's just LCBO and Beer Store?

oh does toronto Deps like Mac's (aka couche ****) doesn't carry alcohol ? it's just LCBO and Beer Store?

Nope, no alcohol at deps here lol
I think grocery stores will be able to carry alcohol soon but that probably won't be for a while.

The latest lcbo closes is at 10 and the beer store closes even earlier I think (on weekdays).

Just the Beer Store and LCBO, you get used to it. However, they are working on getting beer and Wine into supermarkets in the near future, so there is that.

EDIT: I have apparently been ninja'd, sorry about that Ayase.

Last edited:
Hi guys, for those who got in and are already at U of T, how exactly do we cancel course registration with the faculty of Arts and Science?

I'm pretty sure we just don't enrol for courses when it comes time for it in July

You'll only be able to request an exemption from pharmacology if you've taken several upper level pharmacology courses (ie. if you're a pharmacology major).
If anyone's from Western, Pharm 3620 counts as an equivalent :)

is there a list of clubs and whatnot for pharmacy students somewhere?

Is anyone who got accepted into both Waterloo and UofT considering picking UofT? I feel like I don't know anyone other than me who is

Btw congrats to everyone that got in! :)

Is anyone who got accepted into both Waterloo and UofT considering picking UofT? I feel like I don't know anyone other than me who is

Btw congrats to everyone that got in! :)
me! strongly considering U of T. But I know what you mean, I feel like most people who got into both are choosing Waterloo. Would you mind me asking why you're considering U of T over Waterloo?

me! strongly considering U of T. But I know what you mean, I feel like most people who got into both are choosing Waterloo. Would you mind me asking why you're considering U of T over Waterloo?

okay, feels good to not be the only one! well here are my reasons (not in any particular order): my family lives in Toronto near the subway line so although I'd still have to commute for about 50 minutes I'd save money on living costs, I went to UW for 2 years of undergrad and Waterloo is not a fun city, I don't like how year 1 of pharmacy school is 12 months in Waterloo then the next two years include moving every 4 months because moving every 8 months when I was in Waterloo was a hassle for my family and now every 4 months would be crazy and you always lose money when you have to find a subleaser, and you don't really have a say where clinical rotations in 4th year are.. the FAQs say anywhere in Ontario but you don't get to choose where, and no real breaks between terms and I really need that time to de-stress.

what are your reasons?

okay, feels good to not be the only one! well here are my reasons (not in any particular order): my family lives in Toronto near the subway line so although I'd still have to commute for about 50 minutes I'd save money on living costs, I went to UW for 2 years of undergrad and Waterloo is not a fun city, I don't like how year 1 of pharmacy school is 12 months in Waterloo then the next two years include moving every 4 months because moving every 8 months when I was in Waterloo was a hassle for my family and now every 4 months would be crazy and you always lose money when you have to find a subleaser, and you don't really have a say where clinical rotations in 4th year are.. the FAQs say anywhere in Ontario but you don't get to choose where, and no real breaks between terms and I really need that time to de-stress.

what are your reasons?
mostly the same reasons! I really didn't like the feel of Kitchener when I went there for the interview, and I don't like the idea of moving to random places for coop and being in school during the summer either :p I was scared about not getting enough experience at U of T during the summer, but I spoke to a few upper years and it seems feasible to be employed

What's everyone's plan for housing? It's cost effective to find a 2(+) bedroom place and split the cost but seems like a hassle to find a roomie/place that are compatible :/

What's everyone's plan for housing? It's cost effective to find a 2(+) bedroom place and split the cost but seems like a hassle to find a roomie/place that are compatible :/
If we could get into that facebook group then I have a feeling that we could potentially find some people willing to split the cost and be room mates. It seems like if you want your own apartment in Toronto you'll be paying handsomely for it.

I was wondering, did anyone get in with:

1) A score < 30% on a component in PCAT?
2) Without a full course load?
3) One year of 5.0 full course load but with lots of total course withdrawals? (around 8)?

And is it possible to get in if I'm in one of the above situations? And should I retake pcat if I had a 78 composite but with (85-90s in quantitative, bio, and chem) but had a component with <30% in one of the subjects? (reading)

Last edited:
I highly recommend Dr. Collins for the PCAT (scored a 99 composite) A bit pricey, but fully worth it!
Hi! New to this forum. Do you mind me asking how long you studied for your pcat using Dr.Collins? I just ordered the package after reading many great things about it! Thanks!

Accepted! Can't believe I got in.. I thought I did horrible on the interview. Congrats to everyone who got in, and looking forward to seeing you all.

Also, is there a facebook group for UofT PharmD? I'm wondering if there's textbook I need to buy or anything I could do over the summer to prepare myself a little before the class starts. Any tips would be appreciated!