University of Toronto Pharmacy c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to everyone who was admitted and good luck to those who have been wait-listed! And for those who were rejected, don’t lose hope on pursuing a career that you’ve worked so hard for.

I just wanted to post about my experience while applying to pharmacy school. To start, last year, I actually applied to only UofT and ended up being upper wait-listed. However, only 4 people got off and with that being said, I had to re-apply this year. This year I applied to both Waterloo and UofT and was admitted to both. So for those of you who have been rejected, do not lose hope! And for those who are interested, my stats are:

PCAT:
Bio: 90
CR: 38
QR: 97
Chem: 94
Comp: 94
Writing: 4

CGPA: 3.4

I also received a D and D+ during undergrad (one of them being an orgo mark, which is an automatic red flag). This really made me doubt myself but I managed to get into both schools. So for those who are planning on applying or reapplying in the future, do not get discouraged by your marks! As long as you have a strong passion for pharmacy, things will end up working out!

Congrats! I'm in the same boat and was wondering what your pros and cons for each school are? or if you have already made a decision, why you chose said school? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Did anyone apply for OSAP yet? The estimate I got doesn't cover first year tuition (or even half of it). Does anyone else have the same problem?

Hey guys,

Did anyone apply for OSAP yet? The estimate I got doesn't cover first year tuition (or even half of it). Does anyone else have the same problem?
I got around 13k estimate. I was also under the assumption that OSAP would cover most. Are you living with parents or on campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got around 13k estimate. I was also under the assumption that OSAP would cover most. Are you living with parents or on campus?
Yeah same here :/ I am living with my parents, how about you?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

Same, even though I will be paying rent and have been out of high school for 4+ years.

Yeah same here :/ I am living with my parents, how about you?
Parents, at least for the first semester. But that's what worries me. If I decide to change my mind half way through the year and live near campus, I'll have to find a way to pay out of pocket.

Last edited:
I guess it's not like undergrad programs, perhaps OSAP views professional programs more of a privilege than a necessity.

Seems like a bunch of us are in the same boat :/ Anyone know of banks that have best offers for student loans?

Hey, if anybody wants a roommate to live in downtown just send me a message. Hopefully we can find a two bedroom place. Because based on what i've seen so far on the market most 1 bedroom/studio places are just ridiculously expensive and with a two bedroom place it becomes somewhat more affordable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't expecting to hear anything till July, it would be really cool if someone heard back already though

there were upper years on the facebook group that said they used national bank, something about them being sponsors... idk lol i dont understand what prime rate and all that means tbh

Does uoft pharm look at summer school grades? Cuz I'm taking English in summer school right now and it's not going so well

i got a 10k estimate smh

Did you have a TFSA account or some "other assets" along with that estimate? I got the same estimate.

Did this 13k estimate include a TFSA account?

there were upper years on the facebook group that said they used national bank, something about them being sponsors... idk lol i dont understand what prime rate and all that means tbh

Every loan or line of credit you borrow from the banks has to at the minimum charge you an annual "prime" interest rate (how they determine this rate is above my economic knowledge), which is 2.7%. Many banks though will charge you prime + a certain percent, for example RBC will give you a loan with prime + 1% interest (3.7%), whereas Scotiabank will give you a loan for prime + 0.5% (3.2%). So to give context to these numbers, if you borrow 100,000 you'd have to pay 2,700 a year in interest at prime, 3,200 a year with prime + 0.5% or 3,700 a year for prime + 1%. Luckily as future professionals banks put a lot of stock in our ability to pay back the loans that all of these rates are fairly low, many loans can go for prime + 5%.

So in the end it's best if you shop around different banks and consider not only interest rates but also how much financial assistance they're willing to give you over 4 years. I think national bank gives 120k at prime (this is just from memory though, I would encourage you to do your own research), scotiabank gives 150k at prime + 0.5, and I believe RBC and TD both give 80-100k at prime +1, and I'm not sure about BMO or like tangerine.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to everyone who got in.
Unfortunately, I didn't...I had a 85% GPA and 94% PCAT.
I don't have any mark lower than a 70 in the entire program, and I carried a full course load every year.
However, I have a history of withdrawal (1 summer course and 2 regular courses).
Personally, I thought I did bad on the interview compared to other applicants.
I wonder if the reason I didn't get the offer is because of the interview or the history of course withdrawal.
The decision result says the admission will not tell the reason, so I'm so confused.
I think it's mainly because of the interview and if it is, I would apply again next year.
I appreciate any feedback and tips.

I don't have any mark lower than a 70 in the entire program, and I carried a full course load every year.
However, I have a history of withdrawal (1 summer course and 2 regular courses).
I wonder if the reason I didn't get the offer is because of the interview or the history of course withdrawal.
The decision result says the admission will not tell the reason, so I'm so confused.
I think it's mainly because of the interview and if it is, I would apply again next year.
Your history of withdrawals did not hold you back. I have had some as well. It really seems like the only reason you did not get admitted is because of your interview.

Definitely apply again, but use the time you have to improve your interview skills. Sit down with someone and practice MMI questions you find online. What you'll get out of practicing more and more is improvement in your critical thinking, your articulation, and body language. All 3 are very important in the MMI, as you may know. Other than that read books and follow news to increase your general knowledge about current issues. Reading also helps improve your vocabulary. And socialize as much as you can.

Do the banks ask for a cosigner or look at our credit history in order to give us student loan?

If you are doing another year of school, take courses that are heavy presentation based. You will be able to see a lot of students good and bad at public speaking and identify their skills to improve your own. I've always been a natural with public speaking and i truly enjoy it so it's difficult for me to give advice to someone who doesn't like it. Find a friend who is good at it and practice interviewing with them. Unfortunately it is a skill and the only way to improve it is practice but it is super possible to improve within a year. Best of luck.

Do the banks ask for a cosigner or look at our credit history in order to give us student loan?

Unless you have bad credit history they will ask for a consigner when giving out professional school loans. 1-2 year credit history should be sufficient enough to let them know whether that's necessary or not.

Also a little late but I got in as well! :)

For future applicants, my stats (because I know how much time I spent comparing mine to others who got accepted):

cGPA: ~79% (4 years of undergrad)

PCAT: Chem 98
Bio 79
QR: 94
CR: 74
Writing: 4
Composite: 94

I felt really good after the interview but I have a feeling most of it was relief from being done. Looking back, I had a few stations that I know I did really well in, 2 or 3 that I felt I bombed, and the rest were just average.

I agree with what everyone else has said, the interview can make or break you. My academics (cGPA in particular) aren't amazing by any means, especially considering I have a D- in physics, two C's in orgo 1 and 2 and a few other C's here and there throughout my 4 years of undergrad. Point being: don't let a few bad grades prevent you from being confident about your chances. I honestly feel like your attitude in the interview is so important because even though I did very little prep and I really had no idea what I was saying half the time because I was so nervous, I tried to say whatever I was blabbering on about confidently.

Best of luck to everyone on the waiting list and can't wait to meet the rest of you who got accepted in September! :)

Does uoft pharm look at summer school grades? Cuz I'm taking English in summer school right now and it's not going so well
Is there a certain gpa that we have to maintain after acceptance? Currently taking a summer course.

I emailed admissions about this and they said summer 2017 courses are not included in any calculations. So no, the course wouldn't affect your admission.

Hi guys! Long time lurker right here! I'm writing this post right now to maybe inspire some people and to tell them to never give up on your dreams (I know, cliché)!
I knew I wanted to be a pharmacists early on in high school and I did everything I could to make sure pharmacy was the right path for me (take science courses, volunteer at different types of pharmacies, talk to pharmacists, etc), and I'm pretty confident I chose the right path. I really struggled throughout 1st year university (UWO). My average was 75% and I had to retake a course. This was a huge wake up call for me, so I worked pretty hard to get my grades up. My struggles continued onto 2nd year, but my average raised a little higher. I applied to both UWaterloo and Toronto during my 3rd year, got interviews for both, but got rejected from both. This was a really sad moment for me, but I'm extremely glad I got rejected. My 4th year was when I really found myself and reach a pinnacle in personal development. I broke out of my comfort zone and worked harder than ever before. I reapplied to both schools and got accepted to both schools! I think getting out of my comfort zone really helped me with my interview skills and working hard helped me boost my GPA. All in all, I'll be attending U of T in the fall because it's been my dream school for years now. If anyone's curious, here are my stats:

I don't actually remember the breakdown of my PCAT scores but my composite was an 84
cGPA: 81%
I felt pretty good after my MMI

I know these scores are a lot lower than most of yours, but keep in mind, I wrote the "harder" version of the PCAT during a time when I struggled with my grades, and my first two years of university really brought my marks down.

Again, if you want something bad enough, NEVER GIVE UP!!!! But also make changes in your life to improve yourself.

Hi everyone!

I've been following this forum for a while now and wanted to share my process of getting accepted into UofT so I can give hope to those that feel discouraged. I gave my PCAT in September studying only from Kaplan and Pearson practice tests, however I failed the CR section according to UofTs requirement (composite: 81). It was a tough decision to retake the PCAT in January because I was in the middle of so many things, I did not want to waste money again. However, I am glad I did take it again because I passed CR by a little over 20 (composite: 77). Not competitive BUT I passed and that's all I needed to get an interview as I had the minimum GPA required (cGPA 3.74). I didn't know the magnitude of my PCAT and GPA in relation to the interview, but I got the interview and I knew I had to ace it. Although, I didn't have much time to practice for it, I watched Youtube videos and thought to myself what I would do in particular situations. Going into the interview I stayed confident and as calm as one could be. The interview honestly felt like a game to me, I tried to keep the environment fun and live through my voice with a hint of humor where appropriate. They will try and tare you down, make you cry and second guess yourself. Just believe in yourself, have confidence, speak your mind and speak truthfully. Coming out of the interview I had this nervous gut feeling that I made it. Exiting the building, I knew I was coming back. Although the waiting period told me otherwise. Good luck to future applicants and can't wait to meet you 2T1s!

I check this forum like 3 times a day to check for new posts tbh Im so excited!!!

To anyone that applied for a Student line of credit from any bank, how long does the whole process take?

I wasn't expecting to hear anything till July, it would be really cool if someone heard back already though

Seriously... I'm growing more and more anxious as time passes by. I really hope all of us wait listed people get in!

Hi, I went to CIBC Bank and Scotia Bank for applying for student loan, and they both required proof of enrolment. I am wondering if I should wait until UofT gives me that next month?

Congrats! I'm in the same boat and was wondering what your pros and cons for each school are? or if you have already made a decision, why you chose said school? Thanks :)

Long time lurker haha. Got into both UofT and Waterloo, but I will be declining my UofT offer for Waterloo (hopefully that gets someone off the waiting list :) )
As for why: coop sounds really enticing, smaller class sizes, and seems more hands on. Overall, I just feel a greater connection to Waterloo than UofT.

hi everybody! I've been following the forum silently but thought i'd share my situation!

I was lucky enough to get accepted into both uoft and uw and I think i'm going to take uoft! I wasn't expecting to get into both but I planned for this just in case!

So my stats:
-cGPA 84
- Bio 87
- Reading 83
- Math 98
- Chem 92
- Writing 3

So I talked to a few of my friends that go to both uw and uoft pharm, and the pharmacist that I volunteer with, and these are some reasons why I'm leaning towards uoft:
- the quality of education is a bit better at uoft compared to uw. It's more established and uoft has a more reputable reputation as a pharmacy school.
- although uoft has unpaid placements, the placements are better at uoft! My friend just had her last placement at CAMH which is exactly what I want to focus on - mental health!
- yes uw has paid co-op BUT supposedly it's extremely competitive, the majority of it needs to be self-arranged AND if you do find a placement, it's more likely to be in a remote/rural area.
- Not sure how accurate this is, but the pharmacist that I work with (At shoppers), told me that if I had the choice, to pick UofT if I wanted a better chance to work in the GTA...otherwise i'd be more or less stuck working in an independent pharmacy or i'd have to move further away.
- finally, I'm from brampton so I'd like to stay close to home (possibly save on rent/food??) + the vibe/lifestyle that comes with living in toronto compared to waterloo!

That was my decision process :p Sorry for the lengthy post, just thought i'd be thorough for other and/or future applicants. If anybody has a similar situation to me, I'd love to hear your input! Congrats and I can't wait to meet everybody :)
thank you for thiss, your points are all very valid! Hope to see you there

Hey guys, congrats to everyone who got accepted and good luck to those who are waitlisted. If you didn't get in this year, never stop trying.
I got in as well thank God and I am gonna share my stats for future applicants:
GPA: 80%
PCAT composite: 83 ( I used Dr Collins and did the practice tests. I studied for 3 weeks for it)
MMI: I felt ok right after it was done but then I began thinking about things i could've said and it only made me feel worse.
PTL!! :)

Hey 2T1s, congrats on your acceptances!

I'm a 1T8 (currently in fourth year) who visited this site a lot while I was applying, so I've been coming back every year to answer questions from applicants and future students. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the program or the profession in general! :)

Hey 2T1s, congrats on your acceptances!

I'm a 1T8 (currently in fourth year) who visited this site a lot while I was applying, so I've been coming back every year to answer questions from applicants and future students. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the program or the profession in general! :)
I PM'd you :)

did anyone take uw over uoft? and vice versa, uoft over uw? (+/- other schools such as dal, ubc)

Does this only work for previously enrolled UofT students? I don't think I have my student number given yet.
My student number is written on the first page of PharmSiS

Does your program "status" also say INVITED?