University of Toronto Pharmacy c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys!! 2nd year student at Dalhousie (i feel like i'm the only one from dal applying lol) hoping to get some feedback on my stats so far.

cGPA: ~88%

PCAT (Nov 2016):
Writing: 3.0
Bio: 82
Chem: 98
RC: 58
QR: 88
Comp: 90%

What do you think my chances are given that I'm mediocre at interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the minimum PCAT requirements are posted for 2017? Even though I've already registered to rewrite the PCAT in January, I'm so upset my score from November basically won't count because my writing score was 2.5 :(

Any advice on how to do well on the writing section? I didn't prepare at all beforehand because I figured it's difficult to practice a skill like writing an essay especially considering how many I've done in my life but that was obviously naive of me lol. I felt pretty good about my essay coming out of the exam though which is disheartening. Any tips or advice are appreciated!

Hey guys!! 2nd year student at Dalhousie (i feel like i'm the only one from dal applying lol) hoping to get some feedback on my stats so far.

cGPA: ~88%

PCAT (Nov 2016):
Bio: 82
Chem: 98
RC: 58
QR: 88
Comp: 90%

What do you think my chances are given that I'm mediocre at interviews?

From what I've seen in these forums, as long as you don't completely bomb the interview it looks like you have a really solid application and shouldn't have any problem getting in! Congrats on your amazing PCAT and cGPA :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the minimum PCAT requirements are posted for 2017? Even though I've already registered to rewrite the PCAT in January, I'm so upset my score from November basically won't count because my writing score was 2.5 :(

Any advice on how to do well on the writing section? I didn't prepare at all beforehand because I figured it's difficult to practice a skill like writing an essay especially considering how many I've done in my life but that was obviously naive of me lol. I felt pretty good about my essay coming out of the exam though which is disheartening. Any tips or advice are appreciated!
The minimum PCAT requirements will be posted after they send out all the interview invitations. The minimum scores only stay the same or get increased so you should retake the test to get at least 3 on writing!

The minimum PCAT requirements will be posted after they send out all the interview invitations. The minimum scores only stay the same or get increased so you should retake the test to get at least 3 on writing!

Yeah I figured it would stay the same since it hasn't changed the last 4 years lol. Oh well :( Thanks!

What other schools are you guys applying to? Is Toronto your first choice?

1t9 members: Do you know of any person who got in after their second try? How is an 83% PCAT composite?

Hey guys,

I'm planning to apply for pharmacy this year and this is my first time.
I finished my bachelor's degree in chemistry and was wondering what are my chances of getting accepted would be.

cGPA: 3.5

PCAT
Bio: 96
Chem: 99
CR: 29
QR: 97
Composite: 98

The only concern I have with my PCAT is that my CR is pretty low and I hope that it meets the minimum cut offs.
What do you guys think of my chances of getting accepted given that I'm not the best at interviews?

Hey guys,

I finished my bachelor's degree in chemistry and was wondering what are my chances of getting accepted would be.

PCAT

The only concern I have with my PCAT is that my CR is pretty low and I hope that it meets the minimum cut offs.
What do you guys think of my chances of getting accepted given that I'm not the best at interviews?

I think overall its a really good score but 20 is the minimum for CR and a 29 is cutting it pretty close

Members don't see this ad :)
I think overall its a really good score but 20 is the minimum for CR and a 29 is cutting it pretty close
Hey guys,

PCAT

It's a great score! However, no one knows if the writing or CR cutoffs will be increased this year, so that's slightly risky. As for the interviews, no one comes out of the womb having amazing interview skills, so like any other skill, just practice!

Hey guys,

PCAT

Someone last year said they raised the minimum score after interview so you might wanna retake to get a higher CR score to play safe.

Hi

I got 89 composite on the PCAT should I rewrite it? (I kind of studied late for it, and guessed on a bunch of questions in the math section). Writing was 3.

Anyone know if U of T looks at the highest PCAT or the last one written?

Hi

I got 89 composite on the PCAT should I rewrite it? (I kind of studied late for it, and guessed on a bunch of questions in the math section). Writing was 3.

Anyone know if U of T looks at the highest PCAT or the last one written?
They look at the one test meeting all minimums that has the highest composite score. 89 is a pretty good score.

Hmm, I was also wondering on the U of T website where it sais Minimum PCAT percentile scores required to proceed to Interview stage: 20 20 50 20 50. Does that mean as long as you get over 20% composite that is the minimum? Isn't that really low? lol or does the 20 mean top 20%??????

Thanks

Hmm, I was also wondering on the U of T website where it sais Minimum PCAT percentile scores required to proceed to Interview stage: 20 20 50 20 50. Does that mean as long as you get over 20% composite that is the minimum? Isn't that really low? lol or does the 20 mean top 20%??????

Thanks
The cutoff for composite score is 50. So if you meet the cutoff for composite and all sections, you are invited to have an interview. But cutoff doesn't mean anything other that. People who got accepted have at least 80 on composite.

i've been extremely worried about the writing requirement. do you guys think they will raise the minimum writing requirement for selection AFTER the interviews (>3.0)?

i've been extremely worried about the writing requirement. do you guys think they will raise the minimum writing requirement for selection AFTER the interviews (>3.0)?
Most likely not.

Did you guys find Dr Collins bio was enough for the PCAT? It's nowhere near as extensive as Kaplan but I don't think I have time to go over Kaplan before I rewrite the PCAT on January 4th. Also, I feel like I might be missing a section or two for my Collins bio. Do you guys have 6 sections: anatomy and physiology, microbio, genetics, ecology, organismal bio and cell bio?

Hey Guys!

I am applying for U of T this admission cycle and I have re-taken a course (calculus) after passing it the first time, because I was really dissatisfied with my grade the first time I took the course (53%). I re-took it the next year and got a 75%, which is still not incredible but better.

I am working through the application and I need to provide an explanation for why I repeated the course when I passed it the first time around. Is my explanation above (e.g. not happy with my first mark) a satisfactory explanation? What have others who have had experience with this section/who have been in the same shoes as myself written as an explanation?

Any tips and past experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Did you guys find Dr Collins bio was enough for the PCAT? It's nowhere near as extensive as Kaplan but I don't think I have time to go over Kaplan before I rewrite the PCAT on January 4th. Also, I feel like I might be missing a section or two for my Collins bio. Do you guys have 6 sections: anatomy and physiology, microbio, genetics, ecology, organismal bio and cell bio?

I took the PCAT last Nov and felt that Dr Collins Bio was enough. The practice tests are more valuable than the actual sections so I would not worry. I sold my book so I cannot recall if there were 6 sections but yes, it sounds right. I say focus on the practice tests it comes with and purchase the Pearson tests to prep yourself for the PCAT.

Hey Guys,
Classic is it possible post.

So I was pursuing dent hard core for my whole life and my whole fam is Dent but I'm thinking its not the best career for lower stress and being able to be home with family a lot, also blood makes me a little woozy, so I've really started to consider pharm.

Currently in 3rd year.
GPA isn't that great around 3.6 but 80% average in first two years
Expecting to pull a 85+ average this year and around a 3.7 GPA

I have decent extra curriculars and give a good interview- planning to apply to UofT and UWaterloo, taking the PCAT this summer.

...do I have a chance?
Yes you definitely have a chance with the solid GPA. Work on the PCAT and aim for 90+ composite.

Hey Guys,
Classic is it possible post.

So I was pursuing dent hard core for my whole life and my whole fam is Dent but I'm thinking its not the best career for lower stress and being able to be home with family a lot, also blood makes me a little woozy, so I've really started to consider pharm.

Currently in 3rd year.
GPA isn't that great around 3.6 but 80% average in first two years
Expecting to pull a 85+ average this year and around a 3.7 GPA

I have decent extra curriculars and give a good interview- planning to apply to UofT and UWaterloo, taking the PCAT this summer.

...do I have a chance?

You have a chance to get in but not for class of 2021. I believe taking the PCAT this week is the latest you can take it to be considered for September.

I wonder how many people applied this year

I applied to Waterloo and Toronto!
Writing my PCAT tomorrow :)

Hey y'all, 1T9 pharmacy student from U of T here :) It felt like just yesterday when we were in your shoes 2 years ago, so feel free to ask any questions you might have!
Good luck!
Hey, on bases are interviews given to students? Does my PCAT composite have to be in a certain range?

On what basis are the interviews given? Does my composite need to be in a certain range or is it sufficient that I passed that minimum percentile requirements?

4th year student at York University, just completed and submitted my application this evening, very nerve wracking.

cGPA: 3.74

I wrote my PCAT in September 2016
Bio: 94
CR: 91
Quant: 77

Writing: 4.0

Good luck to everyone applying!

Currently in 4th year. cGPA of 3.78. PCAT composite = 80%. What are my chances?

On what basis are the interviews given? Does my composite need to be in a certain range or is it sufficient that I passed that minimum percentile requirements?
You will be invited for the MMI if your GPA and PCAT meet the cutoffs.

Once I've completed my application (not the online transcript part) the next deadline is the 31st right? There's nothing that needs to be submitted before then is there?

I wonder how many people applied this year
From reading the previous years forums, I believe the last 3 digits of your Applicant ID indicates how many people had applied before you. I'm around 156, but I applied in November.

Hey, guys! I came across this forum while doing some research and I thought I'd share my stats too!

PCAT (PR):
bio - 96
chem - 98
CR - 89
QR - 99
composite - 99

My school hasn't yet released the official cGPA that includes last term's grades, but I think I am still sitting at 4.0 (3.995 to be exact, but surely they will round it up for me? I just have one 88 in English, and the rest are all in the 90's).

Reading the posts on this thread, I believe (or hope to believe) that I do have a pretty good chance of getting in, unless I do really poorly on the MMI's. The prospect of getting an invitation is still not clear as my official writing score has been released yet. So my questions to you are:

1. Do you know when the writing score is released? Is it released at the same time as the official transcript?
2. How academically strong do you have to be eligible for their entrance scholarships (thought it'd be good to aim high)?

Thanks!

Hey, guys! I came across this forum while doing some research and I thought I'd share my stats too!

PCAT (PR):
bio - 96
chem - 98
CR - 89
QR - 99
composite - 99

My school hasn't yet released the official cGPA that includes last term's grades, but I think I am still sitting at 4.0 (3.995 to be exact, but surely they will round it up for me? I just have one 88 in English, and the rest are all in the 90's).

Reading the posts on this thread, I believe (or hope to believe) that I do have a pretty good chance of getting in, unless I do really poorly on the MMI's. The prospect of getting an invitation is still not clear as my official writing score has been released yet. So my questions to you are:

1. Do you know when the writing score is released? Is it released at the same time as the official transcript?
2. How academically strong do you have to be eligible for their entrance scholarships (thought it'd be good to aim high)?

Thanks!

Congrats on the PCAT score! Definitely highly competitive.

I believe the writing score should come with the official scores, 3-4 weeks after writing is what I've heard.

Hey I wrote mine last month and also last year. There were 3-4 passages per section (Bio, Chem and math). Each passage had 3 questions and they were not that hard. You can actually answer some general questions without reading the passages. Also I think the math section is a little harder than the old version. I used Dr. Collins and there are some passage questions so I can practice and predict the difficulty based on those practice questions.

Hey, was Dr. Collins similar to the real PCAT exam? I bought Kaplan and I did a bought a mock exam from Pearson but the real PCAT was nothing like it :( I did horrible. I was wondering if I should even bother re-taking it or just try to find another career.

How did you find the PCAT after studying from Kaplan? I studied Kaplan and found the PCAT much harder :(

How did you find the PCAT after studying from Kaplan? I studied Kaplan and found the PCAT much harder :(

I wrote the PCAT the first time having used mostly Kaplan and my composite was 89. The second time I wrote it I basically only used Dr. Collins except to study for quantitative for which I used Kaplan and the second time my composite was 94. I would recommend using just Dr. Collins as Kaplan goes into way too much detail that just isn't necessary and chances are you won't remember most of it (that's what happened to me the first time).

Just like everyone else has said, I 100% recommend Dr. Collins for chem because both times I wrote it I used Dr. Collins to study mainly for chem and I got 98 both times. I don't know what to use for bio because I used Kaplan the first time and got 79 and Dr. Collins the second time and still got 79 lol. Kaplan worked for quantitative for me because I used it both times and got 88 the first time and 94 the second but I'm sure Dr. Collins is good as well.

I didn't find the PCAT more difficult after using Kaplan compared to Dr. Collins but I wouldn't recommend Kaplan as your primary study guide simply because it's too detailed and takes way too long to go through.

Hi, I was just wondering what my chances are since my cGPA isn't that great.

cGPA - 77.9%

PCAT SCORES:
Chem - 92
Bio - 79
Reading - 74
Quant. - 88
Composite - 88

how important is the PCAT score?
I have an 80% cGPA but I didnt do well on the PCAT.
I got the minimum cut off in each section when comparing to last years cut offs but my composite is a 62 (very low).
Are my chances gone?

how important is the PCAT score?
I have an 80% cGPA but I didnt do well on the PCAT.
I got the minimum cut off in each section when comparing to last years cut offs but my composite is a 62 (very low).
Are my chances gone?

The minimum cut offs are very low - people that are accepted generally have much higher scores as it is extremely competitive. I wouldn't say its impossible, but based on your composite I dont think your chances are very good.

The minimum cut offs are very low - people that are accepted generally have much higher scores as it is extremely competitive. I wouldn't say its impossible, but based on your composite I dont think your chances are very good.
So when does the PCAT come into play during the admission process? Is it worth much? I believe that's the only thing weighing down my application

So when does the PCAT come into play during the admission process? Is it worth much? I believe that's the only thing weighing down my application
PCAT comes when they give out interview invitations (you will get one if all your scores are higher than cut-off). And then PCAT will come for them to give admissions. People are saying PCAT is worth less than your GPA but the MAIN part is definitely your MMI performance.

How are my stats?
cGPA = 82%
PCAT comp: 96%
chem: 98
bio: 98
reading: 71
quant: 77
writing: 4
I'm slightly worried about the 71/77 on my reading + quant, but I don't know if it's worth rewriting for.

How are my stats?
cGPA = 82%
PCAT comp: 96%
chem: 98
bio: 98
reading: 71
quant: 77
writing: 4
I'm slightly worried about the 71/77 on my reading + quant, but I don't know if it's worth rewriting for.

I don't think your scores are cause for retaking. Your bio/chem/composite scores are all solid, and your quant/reading is still quite above their threshold.

Is anyone else getting super anxious waiting to hear about interviews? I keep compulsively refreshing my email waiting to see something even though I know they wont send out invited until early March.