University of Tulsa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funky_buddha

Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be applying to the University of Tulsa this round and would like to hear from anyone here who knows about the program or studied there. What was your experience like? Do you feel like you got strong training?

I'm interested in Jamie Rhudy's lab and also a lot of the research on interoception conducted at the Laureate Institute for Brain Research. While I'm not thrilled about living in Tulsa for several years (I'm an east-coaster to the bone), the faculty and program seem like a great match.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to DM me if you want as well.

Thanks,
FB

Members don't see this ad.

I'd encourage you to address a potential mentor as Dr. Rhudy.

I don't have specific feedback about the program, but the midwest has its benefits. In general, if you find that a program is well suited to your interests then I would encourage you to apply. Details of the area are likely better discovered during interview and through interactions with multiple people in the area (i.e., talking to all the grad students during interview day) rather than a few who may respond here.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was a solid program from my recollection, but my only experience was applying to a different lab over 10 years ago.

...anyone?
You are asking a very specific question. I just don't hear much about the program, which is likely a good sign.

I'm a hard core East-coaster and I loved my time in the Midwest, I highly recommend it. Tulsa seems like a decent city with low CoL and still having stuff to do.

Thank you for your responses! It's definitely tough weighing the geographical variables with research interests... but I will be sending an app and just dealing with that stuff when it actually comes time to make a decision. Tulsa does seem like a decent city from what I've heard and read, just totally unfamiliar, and very far from home. Not a place I'd ever imagine I would end up, but I guess we'll see in a few months.

Hi Funky,

TL/DR: Tulsa is a very good program.

I have a bit of a different perspective: I have a lab graduate who matriculated to Tulsa, have interacted with numerous Tulsa students and alums because one lab there is big in my field, and am currently serving as an external member of a Tulsa dissertation committee.

I have always been impressed by the quality of the Tulsa students, and many of them have gone on to have very strong careers. The student who is a graduate from my lab is very happy there, and honestly the dissertation proposal I received from there was the strongest proposal I have read thus far in my career. Really.

I hope that helps some. Good luck with your decision and the process!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Funky,

TL/DR: Tulsa is a very good program.

I have a bit of a different perspective: I have a lab graduate who matriculated to Tulsa, have interacted with numerous Tulsa students and alums because one lab there is big in my field, and am currently serving as an external member of a Tulsa dissertation committee.

I have always been impressed by the quality of the Tulsa students, and many of them have gone on to have very strong careers. The student who is a graduate from my lab is very happy there, and honestly the dissertation proposal I received from there was the strongest proposal I have read thus far in my career. Really.

I hope that helps some. Good luck with your decision and the process!

Thank you so much for sharing, Irish, and for the good wishes! That is all really good to hear. Considering what I've heard about the strength of the program, they have a pretty small applicant pool (100ish/year) and are less competitive than other programs... probably due to geography more than anything else. Seems like an odd location for a place like the Laureate Institute, too, which conducts very cutting edge neuroscience research.