University of Utah any input?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magnus67

Lord of Sleepytime
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just found out I got a month of anesthesia at Utah in my fourth year. Just wondering if anyong on SDN had any experience with the hospital, gas program, or the city in general. A fourth year at my school matched there this year and can't say anything but how sweet it is(of course he is a ski junky.)

Any info would be great, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Magnus67 said:
Just found out I got a month of anesthesia at Utah in my fourth year. Just wondering if anyong on SDN had any experience with the hospital, gas program, or the city in general. A fourth year at my school matched there this year and can't say anything but how sweet it is(of course he is a ski junky.)

Any info would be great, thanks.

I took CME course there last February. Seems like it would be a great training program. Lots of TIVA/TCI and an orthopedic hospital for ultrasound guided continuous regional. Too bad the snow was not great the week I was there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there this year. Awesome program. Great overall training. Residents seem geniuinely happy. PD and chair are great. The department has a lot of money, partially due to the fact they invented the fentanyl lollipop. A lot of good research going on there too, especially in pain. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ditto. Great program, faculty relations, Wasatch....
Ranked it second only d/t family issues. Likely a challenging match but go for it!

DrDre' said:
Ditto. Great program, faculty relations, Wasatch....
Ranked it second only d/t family issues. Likely a challenging match but go for it!

Hey Dre', I am going to be out there in August. Any tips? How challenging would you say it is, what kind of stats do you need? Thanks.

I loved their program. They seem to take care of their residents, salary is not bad for local cost of living, program is very solid. PD is very nice guy, resident friendly. They do have a lot of strong points about their program. Seems like neuro is a big strength, regional is improving, some trouble getting vascular numbers. If you like the outdoors UT has a lot of activities available in close proximity. I rotated there and really enjoyed it. The residents were all very happy, very cool, interested in teaching, and all seemed pretty darn sharp to me. Schedules seemed pretty reasonable. The new Huntsman cancer institute is REALLY nice, state of the art facility. Great cafeteria there too. If you want any more details you can PM me.

Lefty

I think major vascular numbers are down many places because so much work is being done endovascularly. In addition, a siginificant percentage of the population in Utah doesn't smoke, so that takes away a pretty big risk factor for vascular disease.

are there any DOs in the program?