University of Utah Ophthalmic Pathology Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dribb11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This post is mainly for people who went unmatched this past match cycle. I am currently one of the three Ophthalmic Pathology and Research fellows at the Moran Eye Center at University of Utah. I went unmatched last year but was able to secure a position this year. Regardless, it has been a very fun and productive experience. We are working on a more official/detailed pamphlet but given the timing of things, I thought I would post some quick information about the program and how to apply. The following is from the administrator of Dr. Nick Mamalis, who is the attending you would be working with. If you are interested even a little, feel free to message me and I will get back to you as soon as possible along with the contact information for Dr. Mamalis or his secretary.

Also if you have any specific questions about not matching in general, please feel free to message me. I had a lot of people help me along the way and I hope I can pass it on.

This lab is also at times open for medical students to rotate through. They perform similar duties as the Path Fellows and will have an amazing advocate (Dr. Liliana Werner) for publishing papers.

Best of luck!

------
Thank you for your interest regarding our fellowship position. It covers ophthalmic pathology and anterior segment research as detailed below. If you are interested in this one year fellowship then please proceed as detailed in the letter and send your application in January of 2013 for the fellowship beginning in June of 2013 through June of 2014.

The fellow will learn the basics of both the gross and microscopic evaluation of ophthalmic histopathology specimens submitted to the laboratory. In addition, the fellowship involves both basic and clinical ophthalmic research. Fellows are involved in multiple projects involving cataract surgery, intraocular lenses, and anterior segment surgery in general. Research projects are performed using cadaver eyes as well as animal eyes. Clinical research opportunities involve various clinical studies in areas as diverse as cataract surgery adjunct treatments, intraocular lenses, dry eyes, and ocular inflammation. In addition, the fellows are involved in ongoing research projects regarding the analysis of postoperative endophthalmitis/inflammation as well as ongoing studies of complications of foldable intraocular lenses.

The fellows have a chance to spend time in the ophthalmology clinics as well as assisting in ophthalmic surgeries. During this one-year fellowship position, the fellow may attend any departmental lectures, conferences and Grand Rounds. There is ample opportunity for publications during the one-year fellowship.

Applicants should either have an MD or DO degree. In addition to your resume which you may have already forwarded, please send the following: a personal statement, three letters of reference, US-MLE steps 1, 2, or 3 scores, and any ECFMG certificates if applicable. If it is more convenient, you may simply forward your central application match packet to me. If you have already applied to Utah for this past match cycle, we are able to pull up your application so sending a new one would be unnecessary.

This fellowship is a wonderful opportunity to gain valuable knowledge in ophthalmology as well as to obtain publications which would help to prepare for an ophthalmology residency program.

The basic stipend is approximately $30,000 per year. However, the fellows will do preoperative physical examinations on surgical patients and may have an opportunity to work with Utah Lion’s Eye Bank. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

This post is mainly for people who went unmatched this past match cycle. I am currently one of the three Ophthalmic Pathology and Research fellows at the Moran Eye Center at University of Utah. I went unmatched last year but was able to secure a position this year. Regardless, it has been a very fun and productive experience. We are working on a more official/detailed pamphlet but given the timing of things, I thought I would post some quick information about the program and how to apply. The following is from the administrator of Dr. Nick Mamalis, who is the attending you would be working with. If you are interested even a little, feel free to message me and I will get back to you as soon as possible along with the contact information for Dr. Mamalis or his secretary.

Also if you have any specific questions about not matching in general, please feel free to message me. I had a lot of people help me along the way and I hope I can pass it on.

This lab is also at times open for medical students to rotate through. They perform similar duties as the Path Fellows and will have an amazing advocate (Dr. Liliana Werner) for publishing papers.

Best of luck!

------
Thank you for your interest regarding our fellowship position. It covers ophthalmic pathology and anterior segment research as detailed below. If you are interested in this one year fellowship then please proceed as detailed in the letter and send your application in January of 2013 for the fellowship beginning in June of 2013 through June of 2014.

The fellow will learn the basics of both the gross and microscopic evaluation of ophthalmic histopathology specimens submitted to the laboratory. In addition, the fellowship involves both basic and clinical ophthalmic research. Fellows are involved in multiple projects involving cataract surgery, intraocular lenses, and anterior segment surgery in general. Research projects are performed using cadaver eyes as well as animal eyes. Clinical research opportunities involve various clinical studies in areas as diverse as cataract surgery adjunct treatments, intraocular lenses, dry eyes, and ocular inflammation. In addition, the fellows are involved in ongoing research projects regarding the analysis of postoperative endophthalmitis/inflammation as well as ongoing studies of complications of foldable intraocular lenses.

The fellows have a chance to spend time in the ophthalmology clinics as well as assisting in ophthalmic surgeries. During this one-year fellowship position, the fellow may attend any departmental lectures, conferences and Grand Rounds. There is ample opportunity for publications during the one-year fellowship.

Applicants should either have an MD or DO degree. In addition to your resume which you may have already forwarded, please send the following: a personal statement, three letters of reference, US-MLE steps 1, 2, or 3 scores, and any ECFMG certificates if applicable. If it is more convenient, you may simply forward your central application match packet to me. If you have already applied to Utah for this past match cycle, we are able to pull up your application so sending a new one would be unnecessary.

This fellowship is a wonderful opportunity to gain valuable knowledge in ophthalmology as well as to obtain publications which would help to prepare for an ophthalmology residency program.

The basic stipend is approximately $30,000 per year. However, the fellows will do preoperative physical examinations on surgical patients and may have an opportunity to work with Utah Lion’s Eye Bank. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Check your PM please, curious about program