University of Utah School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
another opinion about choosing Utah, even though this might be a bit late.

I am an MD/PhD person, so i have some other thing sot think about on top of the usual stuff, but like medicinebird, the deciding thing for me was the people. When i interviewed I felt like I was among people with whom I could relate. they were happy, smart, healty, and had a balanced attitude about medicine and medical school. I also was treated extremely well by the medical school admisisons folks.

my partner is also working on applying ot Utah, and it was one of the only schools where people took our committment (we are not yet married) seriously. When Dr. Samuelson met me we talked about me, but also about my partner, and the situation regarding his medical school applications. Not only did he talk with me, he offered to meet with us later that week in person (we were on vacation in Alta). We met with dean samuelson, and since then every time he told me he would email us, he did. every time he said he would answer a question for us, he does, and every time he invited us to ask him something or help us with something he is friendly, prompt, and genuinely interested in us. and our attitude is that he really deosnt have to be, but he is still doing it. that means a lot to us.

and i too was accepted at a number of IVYs, MSTP funded programs in the top teir, etc. but the bottom line is that my future career is going to revolve around my family, and i am not going to try to mold my family to always fit my career. Utah understood that and respected that. and so Im going to utah.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!
I just wanted to know what you guys thought about the orientation. I am glad that I had the chance to meet very nice people that I will be spending the next four years with. :)

Sorry if this is already common knowledge, but I have a few basic questions about U of U:

First, if you apply as early as possible (AMCAS app in June, secondary as soon as they invite one), how soon can you expect an interview? Does anyone know when they do most of their interviews?

Second, do I understand correctly that most applicants don't hear yay or nay from the U until March?? Is that late compared to other schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
humuhumu said:
Sorry if this is already common knowledge, but I have a few basic questions about U of U:

First, if you apply as early as possible (AMCAS app in June, secondary as soon as they invite one), how soon can you expect an interview? Does anyone know when they do most of their interviews?

Second, do I understand correctly that most applicants don't hear yay or nay from the U until March?? Is that late compared to other schools?

I got my interview less than 24 hours after my file was complete. Although they had been waiting for one of my letters for about a week so they may have already reviewed everything else and were just waiting as a formality. As for when acceptances go out -- I got mine about 2 weeks after the interview, but I am out of state. They seem to let out of staters know earlier than in staters. The majority of acceptances go out in mid march -- it's almost like a non rolling school in that regard.

Alternate list?

Does anyone know anything about the U of U alternate list? My husband is on it, and we'd love to go there. They said they would not be able to reveal where alternates stand on the list, nor give any information on the likelihood of a spot opening up. I have searched past years on this forum, and according to other posters it looks like they may have a small alternate list, and not too much movement:(

MedicineBird said:
I got my interview less than 24 hours after my file was complete. Although they had been waiting for one of my letters for about a week so they may have already reviewed everything else and were just waiting as a formality. As for when acceptances go out -- I got mine about 2 weeks after the interview, but I am out of state. They seem to let out of staters know earlier than in staters. The majority of acceptances go out in mid march -- it's almost like a non rolling school in that regard.

All I know is that you got your letter in December. When did you send in your AMCAS app? Is November or December the earliest that anyone could expect an interview at Utah?

humuhumu said:
All I know is that you got your letter in December. When did you send in your AMCAS app? Is November or December the earliest that anyone could expect an interview at Utah?

I was just speaking from my own personal experience. sheesh! If you actually take the time to look a their website it says interview invitations are extended from September through February. It boils down to your own time line and when you get things submitted to them. I was an August MCATer. I submitted my AMCAS application at the end of August and Utah waited for my results (released mid-October) to send me a secondary. That arrived in early November and I had my invite for an interview November 17th. I interviewed the 2nd week in December. They are pretty fast once you get the ball rolling.

quintessential said:
Alternate list?

Does anyone know anything about the U of U alternate list? My husband is on it, and we'd love to go there. They said they would not be able to reveal where alternates stand on the list, nor give any information on the likelihood of a spot opening up. I have searched past years on this forum, and according to other posters it looks like they may have a small alternate list, and not too much movement:(

From what I've heard, it is a very short list (which is good for your husband) but that it typically sees very little movement (not so good if he's not at the tippy top of the list). If it does move, it won't do so until after May 15th. It never hurts to send an letter of intent to the admissions office though. Good luck! :thumbup:

i am really excited to meet everyone - lis, medicinebird and lynnier...

the waiting list IS a small one compared to other schools. however, there is not much movement off of it.

quintessential said:
Alternate list?

I was waitlisted when I applied and I was lucky enough to get off. That happened around the first/second week of June. I know of two people in my class (me included) that got off the waitlist, both of us were out of state applicants for what thats worth. I know of at least two more who got off that year and declined. (this was 2003 and a different admissions director too)

I have no clue how many are on the list, or if there are seperate lists for out/in state and idahoans. I do know what you are going through, the waiting stinks especially if its your 1st choice school. Try and be patient and if you have an acceptance be very pleased with your accomplishment.

I wrote two letters, one before I was waitlisted and one the day I got the waitlist notice. I recommend doing this only if you are intent on going to the U if taken off the waitlist. I wrote my letters in the guise of updates but they were really please, please, please, please, take me.

Good luck.

japhy said:
i am really excited to meet everyone - lis, medicinebird and lynnier...

The feeling is mutual, Japhy!!!! :D

Thanks for all the info, MedicineBird, japhy, and conure. My husband will send updates and then we'll just have to wait and see. We're residents, and I'm guessing there might be less movement for residents.

Utah is definitely our first choice. We'd go there in a heartbeat. He's holding another seat here in the East, but our kids really miss their grandparents. +pity+

I am on the in-state waiting list. I called the admissions office last Friday and the lady I spoke with said they are already seeing movement on the list (pre-May 15th!!). :) A previous poster said there are three waiting lists: Utah, Idaho, and out-of-state applicants (makes sense, depending on who declines an acceptance).

Members don't see this ad :)
raddad said:
I am on the in-state waiting list. I called the admissions office last Friday and the lady I spoke with said they are already seeing movement on the list (pre-May 15th!!). :) A previous poster said there are three waiting lists: Utah, Idaho, and out-of-state applicants (makes sense, depending on who declines an acceptance).

I wish you the best of luck Raddad!

For those on the out-of-state waiting list. I am a non-resident and withdrew my acceptance today. I really enjoyed the people I met there, but cannot attend for family reasons. Good luck to everybody.

bds

humuhumu said:

If you're in state, it doesn't seem to matter if you apply in June or October. There's basically no rolling admissions. If you're out of state, like it was said, they let ya know much much earlier. otherwise, expect an answer march-april. this is late for most schools, but utah really doesn't seem to care. they never have trouble filling their class. :rolleyes:

biendesalud said:
For those on the out-of-state waiting list. I am a non-resident and withdrew my acceptance today. I really enjoyed the people I met there, but cannot attend for family reasons. Good luck to everybody.

bds

sorry to hear that. I hope you are able to meet both family and school needs. best wishes!!

Hey guys,
Just to confirm for everyone:

I spoke with Sunny Gibson, the head of the Student Diversity/Minority dept and yes, there are separate lists for the three categories of students they get (Utah, Idaho, Out-of-State)
As of today, very slight movement on all the lists, the major movement will happen after May 15th.
You will be notified by mail.

Good luck to you all!
And Thank you, thank you Biendesalud... Hope I get your spot... ;)

dragonmate said:
If you're in state, it doesn't seem to matter if you apply in June or October. There's basically no rolling admissions. If you're out of state, like it was said, they let ya know much much earlier. otherwise, expect an answer march-april. this is late for most schools, but utah really doesn't seem to care. they never have trouble filling their class. :rolleyes:

this is just patently false. i am an in-state resident - interviewed in january and was accepted 4 weeks later. many of my friends in the class (also in-state) attest to the same thing.

as i have said many times on this board, about half the class is selected prior to the first week in april. the other half is accepted en masse during april.

and emeraldcity - GOOD LUCK! keep us updated on your status.

MedicineBird said:
sorry to hear that. I hope you are able to meet both family and school needs. best wishes!!

Yes, my choice allows for my wife to keep her job and for us to stay together, that latter of which is most important to both of us. Thanks medicine bird.

Thanks japhy!!!
Hopefully I will see you there in August!

:D

biendesalud said:
Yes, my choice allows for my wife to keep her job and for us to stay together, that latter of which is most important to both of us. Thanks medicine bird.

good for you. Your marriage is supremely more important than an MD in a little more comfy place. Kudos!! :thumbup:

Bumperooni!!

Anyone else chomping at the bit to get this party started?? I want school to start NOW!!!!!!!! I'm planning on moving in July. Who's with me?

MedicineBird said:
Bumperooni!!

Anyone else chomping at the bit to get this party started?? I want school to start NOW!!!!!!!! I'm planning on moving in July. Who's with me?

You should print out that message and pin it on your fridge. In the middle of your first year you'll probably need it as a reminder of how you once felt about starting med school. For now, I'd recommend enjoying your freedom while it lasts! Don't get me wrong -- I'm looking forward to med school too, assuming I get in somewhere. But I know my life will never be the same...

MedicineBird said:
Bumperooni!!

Hi MedicineBird!
I also want to start school to make it official. But don't get me wrong, I am very much enjoying my free time. Anyways, I'll see you in the fall!

humuhumu said:
You should print out that message and pin it on your fridge. In the middle of your first year you'll probably need it as a reminder of how you once felt about starting med school. For now, I'd recommend enjoying your freedom while it lasts! Don't get me wrong -- I'm looking forward to med school too, assuming I get in somewhere. But I know my life will never be the same...

Freedom?? what's that? Seriously -- school will be my freedom.

Hello everyone, I just got the long hoped-for letter from the Admissions Office: they accepted me off of the in-state waiting list - before May 15th!!! :clap: So I'll see all of you there in August! Incidently, the previous poster known as Quintessential is my wife. :love:

MedicineBird said:
Freedom?? what's that? Seriously -- school will be my freedom.

If your only interest in life is medicine, and I mean your ONLY interest, then you'll be fine. If you're like most med students, you'll enjoy med school but you will also occasionally long for freedom from the incessant pressure of assimilating reams of material, taking exams, working long hours in the clinics, etc. There are times when a few days of sleep will seem like the sweetest thing you can imagine.

In any case, hopefully you won't fall into the common trap of thinking that life starts after this summer, or after the basic science years, or after med school, or after residency, or after you can free up a few more hours during the week for R & R, or after you get married, or after you have kids, or after you get tenure, or whatever. Life is now.

Just my $0.02....

hey guys,

i, too, am excited about heading to utah this summer (im going to be an MD/PhD first year) and meet all of you.

but now the snafu.

my significant other just got an acceptance at his first choic (where I am also in). previous to this moment our plan was to head to Utah together. i would start this year, and he would have to apply (because we are not from utah) to start next year (g-d willing he gets in). now were really in a bind. we prefer utah as a place to live, and we prefer the program to the other choice. but how can we decide if a "bird in the hand is better than two in the bush?"

this is really a huge problem for us. throughout all of this our priority has been to stay together. but now that we have that opportunity on a platter we feel like were unhappy with it, because we'd rather be in utah.

argh.

any suggestions would be great. but really, i dont think there are any to be made -- just an "unenviable" situation.

anyway, heres hoping that somehow ill still meet all of you this summer/fall.

lynnie

humuhumu said:
If your only interest in life is medicine, and I mean your ONLY interest, then you'll be fine. If you're like most med students, you'll enjoy med school but you will also occasionally long for freedom from the incessant pressure of assimilating reams of material, taking exams, working long hours in the clinics, etc. There are times when a few days of sleep will seem like the sweetest thing you can imagine.

In any case, hopefully you won't fall into the common trap of thinking that life starts after this summer, or after the basic science years, or after med school, or after residency, or after you can free up a few more hours during the week for R & R, or after you get married, or after you have kids, or after you get tenure, or whatever. Life is now.

Just my $0.02....

Well Humu, I absolutely agree with you that life is now -- and I love that. I guess you'd have to see life through my lens in order to understand my sentiment. Life started a looooong time ago for me. I'm not your stereotypical naive applicant. I've already done the full time marriage, work, and school thing. I have given so much of myself to so many other people and things and jobs and and and... Finally it is time for me. Finally it is my turn to do what I love and only that. It is what makes me feel alive -- my true passion in life. This is my dessert and I know sometimes it will be tough but I know it only gets sweeter from here. So like I said -- it IS my freedom.

raddad said:
Hello everyone, I just got the long hoped-for letter from the Admissions Office: they accepted me off of the in-state waiting list - before May 15th!!! :clap: So I'll see all of you there in August! Incidently, the previous poster known as Quintessential is my wife. :love:

:D :D :D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: YAAAAAAAAYYYY for RADDAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See you there!

lynnier79 said:
hey guys,

lynnie

Oh Linnie -- how wonderful and how awful at the same time. I hope you decide to come to Utah becasue it sounds like the 2 of you will be happier there and that means a lot. I would definitely sit down with Dr. Samuelson and have a heart to heart.

Just wondering if anyone has received any scholarship info. Well have ya???

I am an out of state resident and was accepted to the University of Utah in April. It was my first choice before I visited, but after seeing the facilities I hated it. I never had a chance to tour the new building :( I have to give them an answer today or tommorrow and I am really coonfused. Any suggestions? For those of you who love Utah, why? What made you decided on Utah?

stcathm said:
I am an out of state resident and was accepted to the University of Utah in April. It was my first choice before I visited, but after seeing the facilities I hated it. I never had a chance to tour the new building :( I have to give them an answer today or tommorrow and I am really coonfused. Any suggestions? For those of you who love Utah, why? What made you decided on Utah?

You must have some family living there or own property or have some significant connection to Utah, right? That would presumably be a plus. Skiing too. And in-state tuition after the first year. And new facilities. And at least a few faculty members who are highly regarded in the world of medical education (Suzanne Stensaas comes to mind). And (I've heard) a good hospital system. A downside is the very low percentage of female matriculants (and applicants), which is of course related to the dominant religious culture of the area.

MedicineBird said:
Just wondering if anyone has received any scholarship info. Well have ya???

I haven't yet, but then again I just got accepted last week.

On a different subject, I understand there was a new student orientation meeting on April 8. I obviously wasn't there since I hadn't been accepted yet. Could anyone who attended fill me in on what I missed that day? Thanks!

raddad said:
I haven't yet, but then again I just got accepted last week.

On a different subject, I understand there was a new student orientation meeting on April 8. I obviously wasn't there since I hadn't been accepted yet. Could anyone who attended fill me in on what I missed that day? Thanks!

It was great. We all got handed a goody bag full of cash and..... ok-- not really -- but it was nice. We toured the anatomy labs and the new AMAZING building. Oh my holy moo titties is that thing nice! We were also given all of the forms to fill out (emergency contact, immunizations, physical etc) and tried on our long white coats. there were some pretty funny speakers and overall it was a "we're so glad you came our way" feel good day.

stcathm said:

Previous posts on this thread will answer these questions for you.

humuhumu said:
You must have some family living there or own property or have some significant connection to Utah, right? That would presumably be a plus. Skiing too. And in-state tuition after the first year. And new facilities. And at least a few faculty members who are highly regarded in the world of medical education (Suzanne Stensaas comes to mind). And (I've heard) a good hospital system. A downside is the very low percentage of female matriculants (and applicants), which is of course related to the dominant religious culture of the area.

I'm a member of hte fairer sex and at orientation day it seemed like we were pretty evenly split as far as gender. I know in the past males have made up ~65% of hte student body but that divide may be narowing.

When I interviewed at Utah I was the only female interview! 9 white, mormon males, and myself.... I visited a class and was told that 70% of the class was male and 80% married! The other guys interviewing with me all had been married for a few years or had kids. I am a blond, white catholic girl from a private Jesuit college in Cali. Dr. Sameuleson called me the mafia from Santa Clara. I got in, but had this strange feeling that all of the guys I interviewed with thought I was from another planet. I chose Utah for it's advances is hematology (they diagnosed my whole family with a rare bleeding disorder) and their excellent cancer facility, but I just had this weird feeling that I would not fit in with the other students. Did anyone else get this feeling? How was April 8th, were people friendly and not all white mormons? (Not that there is anything wrong with that, but as a Catholic you feel like an outsider)

PS The whole selling point about the great skiing in Utah (which I do not dispute considering one student told me that if you buy a yearly ski pass early it is only $ 350 for students!) is not great considering I fractured my back snowboarding in Tahoe 3 years ago and have had two spinal fusions.....no skiing for me!

stcathm said:
I visited a class and was told that 70% of the class was male and 80% married! ..................... but I just had this weird feeling that I would not fit in with the other students.

stcathm-

congrats on your acceptance. I'm a second year at Utah and I just did a quick tally of the number of people in my class who are married as well as the total number of women. 51/~100 are married, this includes a fair number of married women as well. There are 42 women in our class. Overall my class is a wonderful mix of people from all backgrounds and all walks of life. Assuming the Adcomm constructs the class of 2009 as they have the previous classes, I have no doubt that you would be able to fit in.

stcathm said:
When I interviewed at Utah I was the only female interview! 9 white, mormon males, and myself.... I visited a class and was told that 70% of the class was male and 80% married! The other guys interviewing with me all had been married for a few years or had kids. I am a blond, white catholic girl from a private Jesuit college in Cali. Dr. Sameuleson called me the mafia from Santa Clara. I got in, but had this strange feeling that all of the guys I interviewed with thought I was from another planet. I chose Utah for it's advances is hematology (they diagnosed my whole family with a rare bleeding disorder) and their excellent cancer facility, but I just had this weird feeling that I would not fit in with the other students. Did anyone else get this feeling? How was April 8th, were people friendly and not all white mormons? (Not that there is anything wrong with that, but as a Catholic you feel like an outsider)

PS The whole selling point about the great skiing in Utah (which I do not dispute considering one student told me that if you buy a yearly ski pass early it is only $ 350 for students!) is not great considering I fractured my back snowboarding in Tahoe 3 years ago and have had two spinal fusions.....no skiing for me!

There was 1 other female at my interview day (not LDS) but my favorite 2 folks I met from the MS2s were a lesbian and a jew. Don't worry -- I don't think you'll be the odd one out.

I'm wondering if any current med students could give me some info about on-campus parking. Is it fairly easy to find a parking space, or is trying to park on campus out of the question? Thanks for your help!

MedicineBird said:
There was 1 other female at my interview day (not LDS) but my favorite 2 folks I met from the MS2s were a lesbian and a jew. Don't worry -- I don't think you'll be the odd one out.
Hey MedicineBird

I'm curious to know how you find out someone is a lesbian or jew during interview day. Did it come up in a conversation, or something?

FMGP8P said:
Hey MedicineBird

I'm curious to know how you find out someone is a lesbian or jew during interview day. Did it come up in a conversation, or something?

yes actually it did. One of my fellow female candidates asked the group we were with at lunch if the rumored sterotype of the class was true and was it hard to be anything other than a white mormon male or a married mormon mother at the U. They said no and volunteered the information stating that they each felt very accepted there. They agreed that there will always be the few people wherever you go that treat people whose lifestyles don't fit the local norm as outsiders but that for the most part they haven't experienced any discrimination. It's not like they were harboring a secret about themselves or anything - they were just very open people and eager to answer our questions honestly which I appreciated.

Congrats on your acceptance, parking at the U sucks, I would recommend one of two things. 1) depending on where you plan to live you could use TRAX (light rail) it goes right to Primary Childrens Hospital, or 2) buy a U permit and park above and to the south of the hospital in the U lot there. The U permit is as close as you can get as a student, it is still about a 10 minute walk to get to class. When you are doing clinicals, you can get an A permit (more money) but it will get you considerably closer.

Skialta

Wakey Wakey folks! I found a place to live in good ol SLC last week. Anyone else ready to get the ball rolling yet??