University of Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TDR

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody heard from the U of U. If so when is your interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope,
I called earlier this week and they said they were going to call those they wanted to interview, because they were so far behind.

TDR,
Where do you live and if you don't mind telling what are your stats like. Mine are.
-3.0 undergrad with 2 degrees Biochem and Biomed
-4.0 for last two years for prereq classes: calc 1+2, anat and phys, econ, gen chem.
-92% overall on pcat
I have worked at a pharmaceutical company for 4 years designing drugs and helping find them.
Thanks for your reply
DR

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a call from them on Monday (3-28-05). My interview is scheduled for next Thursday (4-7-05).

Chemistry Degree
~3.6 Prerequisite GPA
95% PCAT
I live in Ogden, UT

Does anyone know about the interview process for the University of Utah?

drhemi70 said:
TDR,
Where do you live and if you don't mind telling what are your stats like. Mine are.
-3.0 undergrad with 2 degrees Biochem and Biomed
-4.0 for last two years for prereq classes: calc 1+2, anat and phys, econ, gen chem.
-92% overall on pcat
I have worked at a pharmaceutical company for 4 years designing drugs and helping find them.
Thanks for your reply
DR

I live in Ogden, Utah.
3.3 G.P.A
89 PCAT
Your stats sound pretty impressive! Have you been called for an interview. I heard they are pretty big jerks during the interview process.

All I know is that everbody who gets an interview that I have talked to says they felt humiliated after leaving. Have you heard how many people they are interviewing and for haw many spots?

TDR,
I have not heard from them at all, that's why I called. Elk may know more than me. I work with a guy who has also applied and he hasn't heard. I don't know how many applied to the program, and have not talked to anyone who has interviewed there. What I have heard is that the applicant pool was larger than normal and thus they are behind. This is why they are calling for interviews instead of sending letters. Good luck to you.
Elk,
When they called did they tell you what the interview set up was? Any tests or writing to do? Did they tell you what the interview format would be; Groups or number of interviewers?
Thanks and hope it goes well for you.
DR

Very little details were given. They asked me what day I would like to interview, Thursday or Friday. She said they "started at 12:30 and went in half hour increments". I don't know if that was for both days, or just on Thursday. It sure doesn't seem like enough time to interview everyone. But nothing about tests, group interviews, or anything like that. I hope we all do well...I hadn't heard the "make you feel humiliated" part, what's the point of that?

elkbugling said:
Very little details were given. They asked me what day I would like to interview, Thursday or Friday. She said they "started at 12:30 and went in half hour increments". I don't know if that was for both days, or just on Thursday. It sure doesn't seem like enough time to interview everyone. But nothing about tests, group interviews, or anything like that. I hope we all do well...I hadn't heard the "make you feel humiliated" part, what's the point of that?

I have two friends that interviewed there last year, one guy and one girl. After the interview they BOTH cried. One of them got in and one of them didn't. They just said the questions were about current events in pharmacy and things that got them really flustered. Not really to many questions about themselves. I know that they are group interview with a few professors and current students. I don't think they give you any kind of tests or anything. I'm sure with your credentials you will get in. Good luck!

Is there anybody currently attending the University of Utah Pharmacy school that could tell me about the interview process? Questions they asked you, issues they may ask me about etc. I would really appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks

I am so glad that I trusted my instincts after talking to the secretaries there and didn't complete my application and saved myself some money. :mad:

Yikes.

People, particularly some (not all mind you) faculty, need to get off their soap box and realize that everyone has to start somewhere.

I interviewed there a couple of years ago. My interview was with 2 faculty and it was very formal. They had a list of questions they ask every student and then wrote down notes about my respones. The only question I really remember is "Why do you think AIDS is such an epidemic in South Africa?"

Just keep in mind that Utah is a very conservative state. They don't want you to answer in a novel way....I think they are looking for a specific cookie cutter answer. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
TDR or others,
Did anyone get a phone call last night?
DR

drhemi70 said:
TDR or others,
Did anyone get a phone call last night?
DR
Nope!

Has any one heard anything over the weekend? I still have not and am begining to wonder what is going on.
DR

All,
I called them this morning and I didn't get an interview. I don't know what this school wants, I thought I showed pretty good stats. Well good luck to those of you still waiting, but I wouldn't keep your hopes up. Think you would have to be a 4.0 with 99% to have them show interest. I won't be applying here again, if I don't get into another school this year.
DR

drhemi70 said:
All,
I called them this morning and I didn't get an interview. I don't know what this school wants, I thought I showed pretty good stats. Well good luck to those of you still waiting, but I wouldn't keep your hopes up. Think you would have to be a 4.0 with 99% to have them show interest. I won't be applying here again, if I don't get into another school this year.
DR

Did they give you a reason? Did they tell you how many people are getting interviewed? Where else did you apply?
TDR

TDR,
I just called and asked if I got an interview. I didn't ask how many applied or how many they will interview. I applyed to 2 other schools; wyo and midwestern in AZ. I got an interview for wyo and have not heard from midwestern. Good luck to you.
DR

i also looked at utah, but did not apply. they only take a very small percentage of out-of-state students, and they require stellar stats. congrats to those of you who got accepted there- it's a really beautiful place to live, and the skiing is fab!!

elkbugling-

How did your interview go? I'm curious because it sounds like their interview process is complicated...What were the questions like?

flyer said:
elkbugling-

How did your interview go? I'm curious because it sounds like their interview process is complicated...What were the questions like?

The questions were worthless. I interviewed with 2 faculty in someone's small office. They asked 5 general questions. "What would you do if..." and "Give us and example of..." They wrote down notes after I answered the questions. The whole process took maybe 15 minutes.

They said they didn't know anything about me, and that it was considered a "blind" interview. I don't know how they can determine anything about a candidate based on that weak interview. I was expecting Armageddon.