University of Vermont vs. George Washington University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blkatki

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to make a decision between University of Vermont College of Medicine or George Washington University School of Medicine for this fall. I am an out state resident for both of these schools (I'm from the West Coast). I would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding the academic curriculum, finances, housing, student life, and quality of life at both of these schools. Please indicate your preference (choice). Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on getting off both waitlists! I interviewed at both schools, and am happy to give you my impressions. First off, I'd say that cost isn't a big difference since they're both so expensive BUT the cost of living in DC is MUCH higher than in Burlington. I'm not sure how much UVM budgets for housing, but GW budgets $1100 just for housing and utilities, and that is definitely a conservative amount for the area (if you want to live alone near the school, I believe that studios start around $1300). That being said, DC is an incredibly dynamic and fun city compared to the very small (but cute) town of Burlington. Ditto with the weather since you're from CA - DC winters will be MUCH more mild than those in Vermont. I think a huge part of your decision may come down to where you can be happy. I loved UVM, but withdrew after getting waitlisted OOS because I realized I'd much rather live near a big city, and just couldn't see myself there. But I have VERY fond feelings for the med school. I definitely give UVM :thumbup::thumbup: and think anyone would have a great med school experience there.

I don't remember UVM's curriculum well, but I remember liking it a lot, and I tend to favor curriculums that are block, systems based with less lecture time. I do remember that they have amazing technology and online resources that were unbelievably impressive. The facility was nice and new, the student body laid back (also lots of non-trads in the class) and the administration nice and helpful as well.

GW has a very traditional curriculum with classes from about 8:30-5pm most days, although attendance is not mandatory, and many students take advantage of the note taking service and/or audio recordings of the lectures from what I've heard. The clinical opportunities in DC third and fourth year sound great, the med school class and patient population incredibly diverse, the GW hospital is nice and relatively new (2003?), and the med school facilities are nice too (if not brand new). Other than being in DC, GW's real strong points though, are the amazing opportunities they offer through their track program. I forget what they all are (emergency preparedness? alternative medicine? research?), but I am more familiar with their global health track and their health care policy track. I believe last year they sent 1/3 of the first year class to countries all over the world for their summer after first year, and there are relevant seminars during the first two years of med school, and a related research project in the third year. I believe they would also help facilitate fourth year abroad rotations if a student was interested. And the health care policy track has amazing opportunities in DC through the med school's connections (senators, CDC, etc.). Basically, the school makes the most of being in DC, and from what I've heard, is great at helping you find the right opportunities to match your interests.

I know that a number of CA students go to GW, and spend all of their fourth year (except three months at GW) in CA doing rotations there to up their chances at matching at a CA residency. I would think that UVM allows the same flexibility fourth year, but you might want to check on that. If I were from CA and wanted to return after med school, I'd ask about that for sure.

So, in sum, I think it will really depend on if you're a big city vs. small town person, how you feel about the curriculum, and if you feel particularly drawn to some of the special opportunities available at GW. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. Both are great schools with great reputations, and both will make you a great doctor. :) Good luck with your decision!

:wow:OMG!! You got into GWU. Bravo to you:bow:!! You earned it. Anyway, I think the difference between UVM and GWU is the usual big town vs. small town fight. If you are coming from CA and want a small town life, UVM could be what you need but if you want the big city experience GWU is definitely your best bet. I have some friends studying in DC and they love the atmosphere.

I think DC may offer you more option if you want to find a place to relax and have a life for the next 4 long years, especially if you are the kind who would want to take a break in between long Gross Anatomy study sessions.

Just my $0.02. Again Congrats!!

Members don't see this ad :)
also, take into consideration, diversity, vermont is overwhelmingly white, not just your classmates, but the town as well..GW is one of the most diverse student bodies out there..and DC is very diverse as well.

also, take into consideration, diversity, vermont is overwhelmingly white, not just your classmates, but the town as well..GW is one of the most diverse student bodies out there..and DC is very diverse as well.

So right! That's one of the major critiques I have heard about UVM. I think that's something one could ponder about.

Burlington is going to be cold, if you're from Cali and not into that, I would be careful. That being said, I couldn't dream of a better day of stress-reliever then hitting up a local mountain on a weekend. Also, Burlington is an great town. It's very liberal so be aware of that, it may be a turn on or off. DC is great, young, serious people, but is quite expensive, and gets very hot starting in May.

I truly appreciate everyone's feedback. It appears that GW has a lot of opportunities internationally, global health, and is very diverse. Is it hard to find housing at GW? UVM is more rural, the weather is very cold, and has less diversity. I would like to know more about UVM's curriculum though. If there are any current medical school students attending GW or UVM, please inform me of your reasons for choosing your school. Thanks! :)

While I'm not a student at UVM, I have interviewed there. From what I could see, there's a lot of student camaraderie there. Here's what I've read about the curriculum on SDN:

The curriculum itself is very alternative and integrated. They pretty much only do one class at a time but it's a totally different approach. For instance, they have this section called Human Structure and Funciton. Instead of having anatomy and then physiology all separate, if you are studying the liver you might dissect the liver one week, learn its physiology concurrently and then perform a liver exam on a live person. The curriculum starts off right away with Clinical Decision Making and then on to cellular and molecular biology. It builds all the way up to the population level starting from this very small level. The students seem to be in class only part of the day, leaving plenty of time for studying. I am almost positive there is not class from 8-5. Also, the grading system is high pass, pass, fail. From what I observed the day I went to lecture, class goes from like 8-12is and then the rest of the day seems devoted to studying, study groups, etc.

UVM is in the middle of nowhere, literally. GW is in DC, expensive but it is a city. I would go with GW, at all counts. Closer to the president, closer to lobbyists, politicians, etc.. which only means, high-profile network. :D

UVM is in the middle of nowhere, literally.

Actually, it is not "literally" in the middle of nowhere. It would not exist in this case. Sorry, but misusing the term "literal" is a pet peeve of mine. In any case, rural or urban is a completely subjective preference.

I would go with GW, at all counts. Closer to the president, closer to lobbyists, politicians, etc.. which only means, high-profile network. :D
Wait, am on SDN or a law student forum? That has to be the weirdest argument I've heard made for a medical school.

I know nothing of GW, but I interviewed at UVM and was pleasantly surprised. They've obviously put some recent and heavy-duty thought into the curriculum. Also, you're done with your first year in March and taking Step 1 in April, leaving a lot of elective time for your third and fourth years. I believe a lot of people go for away rotations nationally and internationally. They also had some of the nicest facilities I saw the entire interview season. I really loved their lecture hall, brand spanking new with comfortable seats and individual microphones, internet hookups, power plugs, etc. They also provide laptops and free technical support to all students, I guess so that everyone can use the integrated technology system they have there.

Doesn't Dick Cheney go to GW? That's singlehandedly more clinical experience than all of Burlington combined.

Doesn't Dick Cheney go to GW? That's singlehandedly more clinical experience than all of Burlington combined.

Ha! Probably takes 2-3 med students just to carry his records...

Of course, if a med student got within 20 meters of him I have no doubt that they'd be tackled by secret service agents and dragged off to an undisclosed location...

Wait, am on SDN or a law student forum? That has to be the weirdest argument I've heard made for a medical school.

Well, not so weird if you're interested in health care policy, or perhaps even global health.

Good points about UVM though, I forgot that they take step I earlier in the second year to allow for more electives. Definitely a plus. :thumbup:

I would like to receive some feedback from current medical students attending either GW or UVM regarding the school in terms of advantages and disadvantages, if possible. Thanks! :)

I finally made a decision: I chose UVM over GW. They are both excellent schools. :)