UNIVERSITY OF VERMONT--WAITING LIST

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's great news that the waitlist is moving, congrats to those of you who have gotten in. :D I'm on the second tier as well... but since they didn't tell me where on the second tier I am (i.e. top) I'm assuming I'm closer to the middle/bottom. I wonder how much of the first tier they've gone through... is there anyone here on the first tier that hasn't heard anything yet?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us on all three tiers!!

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by waiting4uvm:
•Hey Dr. Foxy,

I take it you are heading to UF Med--the Gators.

I used to live in Gainesville--if you have any questions about the city, let me know--

Best of luck•••••Thanks, but I'm only on the waitlist. :( Right now I'm headed to Chicago Med, but we'll see what happens...

I doubt I'll end up in Vermont since I'm at the bottom of the waitlist and probably wouldn't choose it over Finch unless they offered me a full scholarship. :p

But good luck to all of you guys!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Jedi4:
•That's great news that the waitlist is moving, congrats to those of you who have gotten in. :D I'm on the second tier as well... but since they didn't tell me where on the second tier I am (i.e. top) I'm assuming I'm closer to the middle/bottom. I wonder how much of the first tier they've gone through... is there anyone here on the first tier that hasn't heard anything yet?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us on all three tiers!!•••••I'm on the first tier and still haven't heard anything. The admissions lady told me to call them within the next three weeks if I still didn't hear from them. A fellow SDNer (waiting4uvm) who was also on the top tier got an acceptance letter last weekend as you may have read in the comments above. But he's the only one I know of. Just sit tight and lets be patient. They can take people up until the first day of class (Aug 19th).
Bon chance. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I think the first day of orientation is August 12 and the first day of class is August 13th.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by operadoc:
•Actually, I think the first day of orientation is August 12 and the first day of class is August 13th.•••••Are you sure? I thought orientation lasted an entire week. Then I guess school begins Aug. 19th for the class of 2005 only.

Here is what they've listed on their website:
<a href="http://www.med.uvm.edu/TwoColumn.asp?SiteAreaID=538" target="_blank">http://www.med.uvm.edu/TwoColumn.asp?SiteAreaID=538</a>

I hope orientation lasts longer than 1 day.....I'm sure it has gotta to. The only date I've heard in Aug 12th. I don't know if that is orientation or first day of class.

My friends who started this year had one day of orientation. The class of 2006 is also going to have only 1 day of orientation and then with the change in curriculum the class of 2007 will have a week of orientation. This is the understanding I got when I went to the second look day. The second years start school around the 19th. We start a week earlier. Bummer about the fast intro to the school, but it should be ok. Everybody will be in the same boat.

Actually, UVM takes students up until the end of the 2nd week of classes. They start gross anatomy in the 3rd week to allow for students to enter late. So you've got plenty of time!

For those who went to the Second Look Day, what were students saying was the hardest part of the curriculum? Every med school has a hard class. What is it at UVM?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by altaskier:
•For those who went to the Second Look Day, what were students saying was the hardest part of the curriculum? Every med school has a hard class. What is it at UVM?•••••Hey! :)

Just to answer your question... i went to the Closer Look day and talked to several students and they said different things about the difficulty of the classes... I think it really depends on your previous background in undergrad and grad school. I think the general consensus was the fact that the material is not necessarily difficult, there is just a lot to memorize and that is the hard part. Some students mentioned classes, like gross anatomy, where you have a lot to know for the exams, but the profs are great about helping students as a group and individually. Also, other classes, for example biochemistry, have a tendency to be focused on many details of various mechanisms and the profs expect you to know these things....

We (the students at the Closer Look day) received a booklet that the second years give to the first years (from this past year) about classes, student life, etc... I will glance through that and see if I can give you any further details about the classes...

operadoc was there too-- what did you think?

I agree with dynamic02. One of my friends who is a first year said that there is always one class within each group of classes that you prepare more for than the others. For her it was gross anatomy and then neuro anatomy. All in all though, the students at the second look day didn't really talk about one class over another. I do know a second year who had a tough time with the biochem, I think it really depends on each person's particular strengths and weaknesses.

operadoc...did you do your undergrad at UVM?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I did my undergrad at tufts but I did a post-bac program at UVM.

Hey Operadoc...since you already have 1 year of living experience in Burlington, can you tell us potential newcomers what students can do for fun in and around Burlington? Sorry to suck all this info out of you, but since you are the only Burlington resident so far on SDN, I thought i'd ask.

Thanks

Well, altaskier, I actually have lived in Burlington for most of my life so I definately have an attachment to it. I really think it has many qualities of a metropolitan area even though it is so much smaller. Burlington has all the normal hang out things like coffee shops, shopping, movie theaters, and stuff like that. The Flynn theatre always has amazing productions being put on by traveling groups as well as community theatre. Vermont has a symphony orchestra. There are a billion bars here. In the summer for outdoor activities, there is hiking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, swimming, basically anything you can think of and in the winter there is of course skiing and snowshoeing and stuff like that. I lived in Boston for 4 years and I did the same stuff there as I do here and so I don't feel deprived of anything by living here. If you need to get to a bigger city Montreal is only an hour and a half away and Boston is about 3 hours away. Commuting from anywhere is pretty easy. You can drive for five minutes and be in a more country-like setting. I really love it here and it probably is because I am a biased home grown vermonter, but I'm sure you will find things to do.

operadoc...you certainly are getting me pumped for next year. You addressed in your last post the few concerns i had about uvm.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by leafs:
•operadoc...you certainly are getting me pumped for next year. You addressed in your last post the few concerns i had about uvm.•••••Yep, I agree with you, leafs... I'm pretty much a city girl, but I will have to get used to
the "country"... :D thanks operadoc for the info

Anyway, have any of you guys received your financial aid package? I'm still waiting for mine...

Yep I got my financial aid package back in early May. OUCH......DEBT!!! OUCH....DEBT!!!

I'm going to call them and ask them when the exact first day of class is and how many days orientation is. I'll let everyone know as soon as I get an answer.

Couldn't get through to them today. Can't try again tomorrow cuz I work all day, but I will try again on thursday and post as soon as I find out.

Thanks altaskier :) I'll be interested to know what they say.

Thanks for the due diligence on that class start date.

Also, do we need computers for UVM--I know there is a web-based course supplement--CATS--have you guys been told anything?

Thanks

On the website, they say that orientation starts August 12th and classes start August 19th.

I think that classes for the 2nd years start the 19th.

I called today and spoke to Mary Keefe about the waiting list. She told me that there wasn't as much movement as anticipated or as much as last year. That could spell trouble for those of us on the waiting list, especially those in the middle-tier (like me).

Anyone else on this stress-boat?

If you are holding on to an acceptance to Vermont OR if you are on the waiting list, please do the humane and civil thing but withdrawing your name.

Thanks.
Lionel

thundercat...rowing right along in your stress boat.

Did she give you any idea of how much/little movement they have had? Did she seem pessimistic for waitlisters?

dr. bc and thundercat77, make room for one more on your boat. There may not have been as much movement as anticipated thusfar, but maybe it's because there's a one month delay given the whole AMCAS fiasco this year. It's possible, right? And is it realistic? Anyone?

Hmm.....I really don't think that orientation would be only 1 day (the 12th) and then school would start on the next day (the 13th). But then again, that very well could be the case. I will try to find out and post as soon as I do.

Hey guys!

i'm actually going up to vermont and will be around there on friday (mainly looking for housing), but i can check and see about orientation dates... :)

keep on holdin' on and good luck to you guys on the waiting list...remember there are still other waitlists that are moving that some of the people on the "accepted" list for UVM might be waiting on... :)

The wait is killing me and I just want to know where I will be going.

Anybody here any news from Vermont? Why is the list moving so slow??

And once again for those holding multiple acceptances or wait-lists, please help us out if you can....Just remember, payback's a bitch for those who are enjoying the torture of fellow colleagues.

Lionel

Hey dynamic02 if you need anything while you are up here feel free to get in touch with me.

Hey Dynamic02...let us know how the housing hunt went, what to look out for, how affordable places near campus are, etc. I myself will probably head up sometime in July to find housing.

Best of luck on getting a place

Lionel, a lot of people who posted comments on the "offical withdrawl thread" stated that they were holding on to multiple acceptances because they are waiting for all the financial aid packages to come in before making their final decision. They're not trying to be cruel to us waitlisted applicants, I'm sure we would have done the same. Unfortunately, a lot of schools won't send the financial aid stuff out until mid or late June! After June 1st, however, schools will know where else people have been admitted and will begin demanding final decisions from them.

BUMPitty BUMP BUMP...

I got my (first) acceptance letter from them today!!! I was on the upper third of the waitlist, so those in the same boat as I was: you'll get yours soon! I've heard that there's A LOT of movement, so there's hope!

Yea singing doc!!

Congrads!!! :clap: :clap:

Congrats singing doc!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I knew you would get in! :D

Thanks dynamic02, Doctora Foxy! I'm pretty psyched about it!

Now I gotta find housing and money!!! :p

Congrats Singing Doc!!! :D That's great news! :clap: :clap: Where did you hear there is a lot of movement? I thought our latest news from a few posts above was that Mary in the admissions office said there wasn't as much movement as anticipated, or as much as last year. But I hope you're right!

Congrats singingdoc!!! that's such great news!!

good luck finding the $$ :)

Hey people! :)

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, singing doc, in terms of looking for money and housing.... My housing search went alright... Nothing definite yet, but a couple of possibilities... There are definitely many options right now (email Eve Greene and she will send you a housing list of off-campus housing) and then i hear that there is an on-campus grad/med student dorm behind the hospital (it's over near Trinity College). I didn't get a chance to go there this time around (i will continue my search when i go back up there in the next couple of weeks), but from what i hear it's suppose to be nice and it's close to the hospital/med school (but away from the undergrad dorms).

In general, I have been given the advice that one should search for housing sooner (during June) rather than later b/c the apartments go quick in Burlington and the surrounding areas. Another website that I found helpful is: <a href="http://www.burlingtonapartments.net" target="_blank">www.burlingtonapartments.net</a>

Hope that helps! Good luck to all of ya!

dynamic,

Thank you for keeping us all up to date on your trip to Burlington. I have yet to go down there to look for housing however i have been in contact with Eve Greene to explore options.
As far as the on campus housing for med students at Trinity this is what she wrote to me:

"There is a dorm on the Trinity campus (which does try to reserve a building for medical students and grad students only) but the school?s lease on Trinity runs out June 1, 2003 and your class doesn?t get out for the summer until June 15th, 2003. So that would leave you without housing during finals. That may not work for you. However the space is great, cheap, and very close to the school. So you could think about subletting during the month of June 2003. If you?re interested call Ethan Allen Housing (802) 654-1735"

Because of the school lease issue i am personally a little wary. It does sound like the rooms are worth checking out but be ready with plans for june. There are also other on campus housing options that she mentioned..You could try centennial courts (mainly faculty and staff), or call res. life. Good luck with the hunt, and hopefully i will able to get to burlington soon to look myself.

I myself will probably have to start thinking about housing soon too. I would probably like to get an apartment close to/walking distance of campus.

Jedi4 and dr. bc: thanks!

Jedi4: actually, I had heard that there would be movement from Dr. Gleeson during my April 9 interview...I didn't know that someone had said that the waitlist isn't moving as expected though. Sorry...didn't mean to relay wrong info.

altaskier, dynamic02, kutastha(?), operadoc, and anybody else who's going to UVM: how are we going to find reliable roommates, you guys? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get home sick since I live so far away, so sharing a two-bedroom apartment with another person sounds like a great idea...do Eve Green and/or Mary Keefe give possible roommate info?

singing doc....I too have thought about this roommate issue. I guess my main concern is finding a roommate who has similar interests as I do.

Yep, me too. :)

singing doc-- i sent you a PM.