SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

University of Vermont waitlist

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by MD-bound, Apr 25, 2001.

1. MD-bound

MD-bound Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 26, 2000
    California, USA
    Hey gang,

I was wondering if any of you out there are on the wait list at the University of Vermont? I am currently on the waitlist as an out of state student. The letter I received informed me that I should not call before May 1 to inquire about the waitlist, because they would not have the list ready until then. UVM does not accept out of state students until May 1 and therefore their waitlist is a big deal.

But the other day I am checking out Interview Feedback and an out of state dude is telling everyone about his acceptance--and I am thinking how did this happen?

If anyone knows the deal, please drop some info on me!!! I am little reluctant to call the school myself, because May 1 is quickly approaching, but the waiting is killing me.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Homer J. Simpson

Homer J. Simpson 1st and goal from the 1 yard line. 10+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2001
    San Fran, CA
    I thought UVM's policy was to accept all qualified VT residents and then after that, they fill any leftover spots with out of state applicants. This is the first I've heard of the May 1st thing.

Homer J.

4. omores

omores sleep deprived 10+ Year Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Seattle
    Hi.

I grilled them about this when I went up there for an interview. They said that they let in a very few out-of-state people at each of their committee meetings, but that most out-of-staters were put on a waitlist and decided upon at the end of the season. So I think you have lots of company.

Best of luck.

5. MD-bound

Nov 26, 2000
    California, USA
    Hey fellas,

Thanks for the replies.

Homer, I am pretty sure about the May 1 date. Goodluck to you all as well.

[This message has been edited by MD-bound (edited April 27, 2001).]

6. jerseygirl

jerseygirl Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 18, 2001
    NJ
    So I called UVM today to see where I was on the waitlist. They said I was at the top of the middle third, which essentially means the middle of the list, and that seems like a long stretch. But I will keep hope alive that other waitlists might have me ranked higher (unfortunately these schools won't tell me where I am on their lists). Anyway, I need inspiration, did anyone get any good news from waitlist-land today? :confused:

7. MD-bound

Nov 26, 2000
    California, USA
    Hey Jerseygirl,

I tried calling a bunch of times today and all I got was the voicemail line--so being the putz that I am I just left a message. I will try to call back again, but I have to say this process is soooooo disappointing!!!

For real, all I am feeling is anxiety over this phone call--come on people give me a break and let us know the deal--upper third, lower third, middle third--can they be anymore ambiguous?

Anyhow Jerseygirl, it sounds like being at the upper part of the middle third is almost like the top third--and those are supposed to be the acceptances, so hopefully a few people don't want to accept and they will be able to offer you a spot.

Good luck and keep your head up!!!!

8. jerseygirl

jerseygirl Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 18, 2001
    NJ
    Either I am in the throes of PMS or I have plain lost my mind from all of this waiting and anxiety, because I am just so happy to hear kind things from fellow waitlisters right now...thank you MD-bound.

Just keep trying to call UVM...It is really a great thing that they will tell your where you are on the waitlist. I'd rather know than not know.

Anyway, when I called them yesterday I kept getting the machine in the morning but then around 2pm or so someone picked up. If only they had caller ID, they would probably have sent me a restraining order.

;)

9. MD-bound

Nov 26, 2000
    California, USA
    Hi Jerseygirl,

I got through today and guess who is right next to you on the "upper part of the middle third of the waiting list"? What is that? I can't even explain that to my parents or my friends--no one understands this top third, middle third business. I can't even really explain it to anyone, because it is such a weird thing--no one really understands.

But then that is when I log on to the SDN and I spill my guts to you--my jerseygirl. Well I really don't know what to make of all this business. I hope they are not telling everyone who is not in the upper third the same thing--there better be a bottom third of this list!!!!

Honestly I really don't know what more medical schools want. This is just getting a little too much for me to handle. If this doesn't pan out, it is reapplication time--just gonna mow through some more cash and some more of my nerves.

Take care and let's hope for the best!!! :)

10. foof

foof New Member

May 8, 2001
    vt
    hang in there...i go to uvm...i was on waitlist too...i heard on june 13th...lots of people heard later than that...it's an awful waiting game...some say each time you call, they make note of it and it factors positively into the equation...others say it makes no difference...i'm not sure what the 1/3's business is...best of luck anyway!

11. MD-bound

Nov 26, 2000
    California, USA
    Hey Foof,

Thanks for the encouragement--I really need it. I am really trying to stay somewhat optomistic about this whole thing--but it is getting very hard. And today was the killer of them all...

....I haven't checked SDN for sometime because I was gunning for a physio final--and well I thought I rocked it. But guess what the retard I am ends up blowing the final and now I am stuck with a B+ in a class that is 6 units. Mind you I do not have a strong GPA, but now I am really not sure about UVM. I was hoping to send them an updated transcript, but not now.

I really worked hard for this class and I just don't know where I went wrong, but whatever it was--they really should be handing out Prozacs with exam grades.

If anyone has any recommendations on helping with this waitlist situation please let me know what I can do--I am so dooooooown.

Thanks

12. ned

ned Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Hi. I have a friend that's going to UVM for a summer program. Does anyone have any useful tips to find housing in the area?

Thanks!

-n

13. foof

foof New Member

May 8, 2001
    vt
    hi ned,
    call med school dean's office @ 802-656-2150 and ask about their housing list. there are usually loads of first year sublets from mis-june to mid-august, amongst other things.
    if the course your friend is taking is a med school course (anatomy?, neuro?), there may be additional people to get in touch with that can help you out.
    good luck.

14. ned

ned Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 29, 2000
    My friend is taking the summer anatomy class at the med school. She will be there from the middle of June to the end of July. Any further suggestions?

15. MD-bound

Nov 26, 2000
    California, USA
    Hey guys,

Is anyone hearing anything in particular on the UVM waitlist---I am wicked desperate to get in and this waiting game is killing me!!!

Sorry to be such a pest, but I realllllly don't want to apply again--all the time, cash, and possibility of not going to UVM would kill me.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks