1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

University of Vermont

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wire, Apr 25, 2004.

1. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    We find out where we stand on the waitlist on may 1st. Does anyone plan to withdraw an acceptance from this school? and how much does the waitlist usually move in comparison to if you are on the top, middle, and bottom third of the waitlist.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

Correction... May 3rd. *sigh* Stupid weekend.

(8 more days only though)

4. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i know you people know more! how many people have been accepted to uvm and won't be attending? (i hope a lot)

5. LP1CW

LP1CW Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wire, what is it that you like abuot UVM? Are you from Vermont. Early on, I knew that it wasn't for me. I need to be in a big city. Burlington is nice, but too small. UVM's new curriculum seems to be solid, one course at a time, full integration and a year and half. They also have an affiliate hospital in Maine. Maine is a great state, so those were the good things. But I didn't like the cold up there. THe town was too small. And I just felt like being 21 and straight out of college, it wasn't a good fit. I met a few older applicants when I was up there.

6. Joe Joe on da Radio

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    in the past few years, the top 1/3rd of the waitlist have generally been accepted. g'luck!

7. LP1CW

LP1CW Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Joe Joe, how large is UVM's waitlist? How many are in the top third? Is it like 40 students, more?

I have no idea how large any schools waitlist is? Where can we find that out?

8. Joe Joe on da Radio

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i have no idea how large the waitlist is, but then again, i didn't get in off the waitlist so i'm not aware of the idiosyncrasies of the process. sorry!

9. hope280

hope280 Member
    7+ Year Member

i will pay $1 to anyone who finds out the questions that have been asked.

10. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

1) We find out where we stand on the waitlist on may 1st.
    No. May 3rd (Atleast I assume no one will be there to answer your call

2) Does anyone plan to withdraw an acceptance from this school?
    People will... Don't worry! (~97 people will decline aceptances)

3) and how much does the waitlist usually move in comparison to if you are on the top, middle, and bottom third of the waitlist.
    According to other UVM threads, top 3rd is pretty golden, middle so so, bottom= not so.

4)how many people have been accepted to uvm and won't be attending? (i hope a lot)
    According to "http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=935 "
    194-97 = ~97 people will decline aceptances.

5) LP1CW's questions to Wire...
    I refuse to answer those :p

6)how large is UVM's waitlist
    200 people (see below)

7)How many are in the top third?
    200/3 (see below)

-----------------------------
    From my interview day notes...
    ------------------------

Other useless info:

Happy? Now gimme my dollar!!!!!!! :smuggrin:

11. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I think Mr Reddly deserves the dollar.

12. SpiritiualDuck

SpiritiualDuck Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Joe Joe,

I sent you a PM. I'm going to be starting at UVM this fall. Hoping that you can give me some insights.

13. felraihn

felraihn Junior Member

I called UVM and the lady responded back and informed me where I was on the waitlist and said she could possibly tell me more after May 1st. Has anyone heard much about the reputation of the school. I see it is 16th for primary care on US News Weekly list. Does it have any ties with any of the top residency programs back East? IS the out of state tutition worth it? I figure if an out of stater receives that 10000 scholarship the last two years the price will be comparable to Creighton and Loyola, the other two schools I am considering. Did anyone hear anything about a Fall Break? That is one thing I like about the CAtholic schools. Average monthly rent? I loved Burlington, but it so far from home and anyone I know. AHhhhh.

14. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    wait....the lady told you where you were on the waitlist?

15. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    man i usually post on uvm threads...but damn mr reddley just took care of everything...haha

:horns:

16. hope280

hope280 Member
    7+ Year Member

Mr. Reddley, you absolutely deserve it. just send me your bank account number and your password and I will wire it to you. or ask me for it if we both end up at UVM next sept.

17. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    the classmates you will meet there will be amazing. you may not know anyone from the start but you will once you get on through the year.

uvm is definitely and up and coming school...they are already a strong primary care school and are doing their fair share in opening up more research like activities to the students there.

since its a private school...i dont think there is a difference between out of state and instate tuition.

and for the people on the waitlists i have already withdrawn...(*misses uvm already*)

18. Joe Joe on da Radio

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    the 2004 matchlist here

19. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ok new update...

UVM will be splitting the waitlist this year into halves, not thirds. I called today and found out I was placed on the upper half of the waitlist. They basically said you have to wait until May 15th to see about movement.

20. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Does someone want to call and ask if we can find out where we stand on the top/bottom of the waitlist? I don't want to call cause I've talked to them twice today and forgot to ask.. :eek:

21. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

22. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

Do you happen to have the contact info handy?
    That might help people call sooner ;)

23. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    802-656-2154

24. felraihn

felraihn Junior Member

Halves? I left a message on the extension concerning application status (on a Mon-wed-Fri during business hours-honestly) and a lady called back and left a message on my phone telling me I was in the top third with more information possibly available after May 1st. Nothing about halves. Perhaps some sick soul is toying with me. There was also mention of letters being mailed and I understood that they would have been mailed last week, but I have yet to receive one. If any students read this-do you have much time in the first two years to spend outside enjoying Vermont? Is there a large population that enjoy and regularly get outdoors on backpacking trips? And what of a Fall break?

25. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

I think so... When I interviewed there, they were getting readt for a formal at some other school (Dartmouth?) where there were more guys for all the girls at UVM to socialize with. :D If they had time for that, there must be time for outdoorsie stuff. Also, I saw a flyer for swing dancing classes in the room we were sitting in waiting for the interviews. As for first 2 years.... isn't it first 1.5 years? :p

26. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    now im really confused, the lady today told me they did it in halves...but that's weird they told you that you were in the top third...who knows...someone call and bug them to see whats going on :scared:

27. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Felraihn, did you call today or in the last few weeks? This kind of scares me because maybe they tell some people that they split it into thirds and some people they split it into halves???

28. SpiritiualDuck

SpiritiualDuck Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think one of my greatest concerns is winter in Vermont. There was quite a bit of snow up there when I interviewed.

29. MissM

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i'm from maine, whose winters are basically the same (perhaps a little more temperate because of the ocean). the issue isn't so much that the winter is bad, as in cold. i went to school in boston and have lived in ny, and it doesnt get that much colder in northern new england. it's more that the winter is loooooooong...
    bid farewell to the sun in november and prepare not to truly see it again until late april. there's also no spring per se. winter transitions into mud season, from which summer is born.
    i was flirting with uvm, but they offer only moral and not financial support to mainers. boo.

30. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    bump..bump.

31. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

OCD tonight?

32. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    oh yes...SDN OCD is the worst.

33. medstylee

medstylee 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    that, my friend, is what i like to hear. screw cclcm! :cool:

34. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    got to wait it out..you should be hearing soon too

35. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    so i know someone said 180-200 acceptances - 97 spots = about 83-103 people off the waitlist...but is this the case? or do they give out more initial acceptances and take fewer people off the waitlist?

36. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    bump bump bump :rolleyes:

37. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    please oh please, someone answer my questions!!!!! :D

38. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

:)
    hey, I bet they take close to half the peeps on the wl!
    You're in the upper half, right?
    $10 says you're in.

39. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yep, they said top half, wish they would be a little bit more specific.

40. felraihn

felraihn Junior Member

Has anyone heard the full tuition for this year? More girls than guys? Some friend was also telling me that med students can only take out 50000/yr but estimated costs for last year were 57000. Does financial aid help you cover that? Does anyone know how residency programs view this school in primary care?

41. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    bump bump..

42. MNgrrl

MNgrrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    For all of you Vermont waitlistees, I called today and was told I am "in a very good position in the top half of the waitlist." She said they would have movement starting May 15th. Not very specific...based on this board, it seems everyone is in the top half...

Also, Felraihn, UVM is very highly regarded by residency directors in primary care, and also in other specialties, so I definitely wouldn't worry about that - Vermont's rep is top-notch around the country.

43. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well congrats on being in a "good position", I really want to find out where I stand on the top half, but there is no way they will tell me, plus I don't want to call and bug them again. Will you be attending UVM MNgirl if you get accepted? Did anyone else call in today and find out where they stand on the waitlist?

44. joe42581

joe42581 Member
    7+ Year Member

i called and they said i was in the top half, but didnt comment on whether its in a good position or bad in the top half... i didnt even know u could ask about that, coz i thought it was just top half and bottom half.... and i dont want to call back and bug them again just to ask about that. Btw did anyone ask why they decided to change it to top-bottom half vs the old top 1/3-mid-bottom 1/3 system? I HOPE its coz they are plannin to take all of the top half :laugh: If anyone asked about that, please let me know, thx!

45. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

Someone has to be first I guess.

Bottom half.

I don't mind except that if I'm bottom half there, then I'm probably bottom half on the other waitlists too. The good news is atleast with this one, I know they don't want me and don't have to keep waiting. I just wish the others would do the same instead of stringing me along. Shoot, I might be bottom 1/8th at those schools and I won't even know it till school starts.

46. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wouldn't stress Reddley. First off, if they didn't want you, they would have rejected you post-interview. Vermont has been known to go into the bottom half of the waitlist before. Also, don't use UVM to compare yourself to other schools. All schools are looking for certain people, and just because you were placed on the bottom half at UVM does not mean that you will be placed on the bottom half of any other school. You know as well as I do that the whole process is a crapshoot. Don't get discouraged, I'm sure you will do fine.

47. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

Thanks, but as far as I am conserned, bottom = reject. The good news is that with 16 previous post-interview rejections (including wls that eventually turned into rejects)under my belt, I'm used to it.

48. MNgrrl

MNgrrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Joe - I asked why they changed it and the lady said it was because they changed the way they ranked people this year. She didn't elaborate, and I didn't ask her to, so I'm not sure besides that. Also, I didn't ask about my position within the waitlist, she just volunteered about my apparent 'good position' so I wouldn't worry - I called early this morning, maybe she just hadn't talked to many frantic people yet ;)

Wire - U of MN is still my first choice for a few reasons (my bf, tuition, not having to move x-country, etc.) Sadly, I am still on the delayed decision pool there, so if I don't get in at MN, I will go to UVM (unless I get off another waitlist, in which case the decision will be more complicated...hmmm...now I'm just rambling). Is it your first choice? If so, UVM really likes people who like them back - so sending a letter of intent/interest might be helpful...

Good luck!

49. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hmm interesting that they ranked it differently this year. I wonder if the waitlist has less people than in previous years? MNgrrl, good luck at UMN. Anyway else got some info to feed my obsessive-compulsive SDN disorder :D :D :D

50. hope280

hope280 Member
    7+ Year Member

to answer the question that has been asked: they split it into halves this year because it made more sense with the numbers they had. they will go back to thirds if this system does not work out. But the woman did not tell if they had more or less waitlistees this year.

51. felraihn

felraihn Junior Member

Made more sense? How so? Less applicants? I called (I never seem to get through directly) and they left a message saying top half-you may not know until August 9th. Kinda of put a damper on my day.