Quantcast

University of Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nona1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
128
Reaction score
0

Members don't see this ad.
What are your thoughts on this school? For any who have interviewed, any personal anecdotes, recommendations, things you wish you had known/done etc.? Ideas on strengths/weaknesses? Or anyone who is there now, your thoughts on how it compares to your pre-med expectations?
Any feedback is much appreciated.

PS How do you do a search w/in the forum for last year's threads? I'd like to read threads from this time during last cycle to follow people through agony of waiting, to interviews, to wl or acc, starting in Jan 2004-Aug 2004. Thanks.
 

NorCalGirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
178
Reaction score
0
I interviewed in October and I thought it was a really nice school. Burlington is a beautiful city. The students at UVM seemed really happy and were all very eager to talk to interviewees about their experiences. UVM prides itself in the early clinical exposure students get (I think they take STEP 1 in February and start in the wards pretty much by the spring of the second year). But, I also learned that UVM students score a little below national average on the STEP 1 (Maybe because they take it so early!), but I don't know if this is still true. That's what I heard from a presenter at my interview. They still seem to do well in the Match so... But other than that, I was really impressed by the school's integrated curriculum as well as people I came across when I visited.
 

nona1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
128
Reaction score
0
I've heard some of the same, nice to get confirmation. Can I ask how long it took the ADCOM to get back to you with a decision?
 

NorCalGirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
178
Reaction score
0
nona1 said:
I've heard some of the same, nice to get confirmation. Can I ask how long it took the ADCOM to get back to you with a decision?

I heard back in December (which was when they gave their first round of acceptances, I think). I was surprised to get in because I thought they only accepted Vermont residents initially and then out-of-staters later. They said many out-of-state applicants get put on a waitlist and then accepted in the spring. Good luck! :)
 

scrappysurfer

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Messages
264
Reaction score
0
NorCalGirl said:
I heard back in December (which was when they gave their first round of acceptances, I think). I was surprised to get in because I thought they only accepted Vermont residents initially and then out-of-staters later. They said many out-of-state applicants get put on a waitlist and then accepted in the spring. Good luck! :)

I loved UVM. Their curriculum is in transition right now, which is scary. This was definitley overshadowed by the friendliness of the other interviewers, interviewees, and admin staff. Their friendly interviewers were a pleasure to talk to after coming off a series of rude interviewers at OHSU. They will also have new facilities next year.

I just interviewed there, so I don't expect to hear until mid-February. Good luck.
 

acidhouse303

street pharmacist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Messages
505
Reaction score
2
I interviewed at UVM a while ago and the students there seem pretty happy. I wasnt too impressed with the facilities. We didnt get to see an anatomy lab or hospital. every other tour ive been on has shown us that but UVM students said it was direspectful to look in on an anatomy lab. which i guess i can understand. burlington is a nice town, but there is not a whole lot to do unless you're really into skiing/snowboarding and you like freezing cold weather. its very clean and pretty however, and some people really like it though. its very liberal which is great (but i dont think the rest of VT is) im just an NYC kid and it was too rurul for me. UVM was by far my weirdest interview. my interviewer asked me some really strange questions and made some odd comments (she was a psychiatrist) and it made me a bit uncomfortable. I was surprised it turned out well, apparantly. UVM is also about 70% female which can be good or bad depending how you look at it. its also very expensive and its virtually impossible to become a vermont resident. they give preference to vermont residents however and give them an accept or decline response. which means, most out of state people get on an alternate list, if they are being considered. the dean said if youre on the alt list you have a high chance of getting in, they are not like the school that have tons of ppl on the wait list. you might really like the place, so good luck in yoru interview, etc. this has just been my experience.
 

DieselPetrolGrl

twisterChamp&so much more
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2003
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
1
having lived in VT and being rejected from this school was a ache.
my dad worked there and he said its ok...because i dont like geriatrics or high-people
burlington is a odd town - its like very poor or very rich and always cold.


plus 70% female...didnt know that...but i wouldnt go to that kind of school....am i crazy? yes...but i have needs damnit! :p
 

FrauBlucher

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2004
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
I interviewed there in the fall (november, maybe) and had a mixed reaction. What I liked:
The curriculum. It's still being developed, but next year's class will be the third year to go through it. It seemed great in how it integrated all the information together (info about it is probably on the website). The people there were also very friendly, which was a plus (the students seemed relatively happy and laid-back, and my interviewer was very nice). They also said they would have new facilities completed in the next year or two, which would greatly improve on the old campus (currently the library is IN a courtyard. not kidding).
What I didn't like:
Burlington. It's far from everything. The "city" only has 40,000 people. Also, (I am not trying to start a fight here, it's just my opinion, and I've spent a lot of time in vermont) the population of vermont is quite homogenous. Maybe Burlington is an exception, but you're definitely not going to get the diverse patient population you'd see in nyc or boston. Also, it's damn cold. When I was there all the trees had lost their leaves and it was gray and depressing. I definitely could not see myself living there (but hey, that's just me). Plus I don't really like skiing. Oh, and the school is really expensive. They have scholarships that knock off $10K a year, but you have to promise to practice in vermont.
Anyway, that's just my .02c. Good luck to everyone interviewing!
 

MNgrrl

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2003
Messages
257
Reaction score
0
I am currently a first year at UVM - feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. I really like it here - it makes me a little nervous to not know how the 2nd years are going to do on boards this year, but overall the curriculum works well for me. Good luck in making your decisions!
 

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
543
Reaction score
1
Anyone know if they're still sending out interview invites? UVM was the first school I sent my secondary to, but have still not heard a word for them except that my app was complete months ago. When I first started this journey, UVM was my first choice just because it is rural and is close to skiing.
 

Mr. Darcy

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
I loved UVM. Ferry rides to work, some snow on a tree, and total peace and quite to really study. I got in and would go there but the cost. Seems likely I will end up taking a cheaper school, ranked higher, but less costly. In many ways it is a shame as I would live in VT and be quite happy there. But the cost is silly and they don't seem to grasp the problem.

If you can deal with the $ then I suggest this as one of the best places to learn.
 

nona1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
128
Reaction score
0
DianaLynne said:
Anyone know if they're still sending out interview invites? UVM was the first school I sent my secondary to, but have still not heard a word for them except that my app was complete months ago. When I first started this journey, UVM was my first choice just because it is rural and is close to skiing.



Yes, they are- I know that interview invites were being received as late as last week. Best of luck.
 

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
543
Reaction score
1
nona1 said:
Yes, they are- I know that interview invites were being received as late as last week. Best of luck.

THanks for the good wishes. I called the office on Friday to check on my status and left a message. If I'm still in consideration, I'm going to send a letter of interest detailing all the amazing things I've been doing the last six months. UVM would be kooky not to invite me. And we all know they are not kooky.
 

MNgrrl

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2003
Messages
257
Reaction score
0
DianaLynne said:
THanks for the good wishes. I called the office on Friday to check on my status and left a message. If I'm still in consideration, I'm going to send a letter of interest detailing all the amazing things I've been doing the last six months. UVM would be kooky not to invite me. And we all know they are not kooky.

DianaLynne -- I see that you have been accepted to 2 excellent schools (Congrats!). One thing UVM might want to know is specifically why you would want to come here over those schools. Just a thought :) Good luck!
 

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
543
Reaction score
1
I heard back from them today. It's not over yet, folks! Apparently, my file is in the pool of those pulled to be invited to an interview, but that does not mean an interview is guaranteed. So, I'm reborn! A veritable phoenix! OK, maybe I exaggerate, but now I write my letter of interest. Whee!

Thanks for the support everyone! And for those of us out there still awaiting an interview invite, they told me that it could be up to six weeks before I hear for sure whether or not I'll even get an interview invite! What a wild ride...
 

nona1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
128
Reaction score
0
DianaLynne said:
I heard back from them today. It's not over yet, folks! Apparently, my file is in the pool of those pulled to be invited to an interview, but that does not mean an interview is guaranteed. So, I'm reborn! A veritable phoenix! OK, maybe I exaggerate, but now I write my letter of interest. Whee!

Thanks for the support everyone! And for those of us out there still awaiting an interview invite, they told me that it could be up to six weeks before I hear for sure whether or not I'll even get an interview invite! What a wild ride...


DL- Sounds like you'll get one then!

Can those of you who went on interviews this season post some of your interview questions? I know about that other site but I'd like to get more feedback. Much appreciated.
 

scrappysurfer

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Messages
264
Reaction score
0
nona1 said:
DL- Sounds like you'll get one then!

Can those of you who went on interviews this season post some of your interview questions? I know about that other site but I'd like to get more feedback. Much appreciated.

I was there a couple weeks ago and the questions were really standard (for MD/PhD, that is).

Interviewer 1 (MD/PhD): very friendly, discussed reasearch and career goals in detail. wanted to know what research labs i was interested in

Interviwer 2 (MD/PhD): This was the most fun. Some discussion on why VT versus a big city. Discussion about his kids (pretty funny actually. built a pond in his backyard, towing them on sleds from his atv). Discussion about sports. He suggested I try skate skiing in the offseason for my sport (triathlon).

Interviewer 3 (MD only): Why medicine. Why will it be rewarding. Role models and why I think I will be able to fit a family life into my career. He was very sweet and cerebral and definitely read my file in depth.

A note: the place is unbelievably accomodating to your "other" non-medical life. Especially spouses and children.
 
Top