University of Virginia SOM Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Look at places on Brendan Ave too, that's a walk away from the medical school and its not near the corner. Brendan and the corner are on either sides of the med school. That way you don't pull your hair out when you're trying to study and the drunken undergrads are annoying the hell out of you.

I think you mean Brandon Ave? I'm moving there next year, it's super close to the med school and a lot of med students liver there, but it also is right next to a dorm and a lot of undergrad houses so not a terribly drunken undergrad free zone.

A lot of med students live in apartment complexes down 14th street, Oxford Hills, Ashtree, Cambridge, Preston, Graduate Court to name a few. Some students choose for the cheaper/more sketchy part of town on the other side of the hospital (Walker's Square, Towne Court, places on Cherry). I know other students that live on JPA and Valley Road.

I think the most important thing is to be on a bus line or within walking distance. The students that lived farther than that, at places like Woodlands and Eagles Landing, mostly ended up moving to be closer.

Good luck apartment/house hunting!

Members don't see this ad.

a lot of med students liver there, but it also is right next to a dorm and a lot of undergrad houses so not a terribly drunken undergrad free zone.

Freudian slip? ;)

I think you mean Brandon Ave? I'm moving there next year, it's super close to the med school and a lot of med students liver there, but it also is right next to a dorm and a lot of undergrad houses so not a terribly drunken undergrad free zone.

A lot of med students live in apartment complexes down 14th street, Oxford Hills, Ashtree, Cambridge, Preston, Graduate Court to name a few. Some students choose for the cheaper/more sketchy part of town on the other side of the hospital (Walker's Square, Towne Court, places on Cherry). I know other students that live on JPA and Valley Road.

I think the most important thing is to be on a bus line or within walking distance. The students that lived farther than that, at places like Woodlands and Eagles Landing, mostly ended up moving to be closer.

Good luck apartment/house hunting!

Good post. I'm thinking about living in Walker's Square or Cream St. myself, but as you said it at least appears to be somewhat sketchy - is it safe to walk to and from the medical center at night from there? As a UVA undergrad, I know that certain areas of Cville are NOT safe at night... I didnt know if this was one of the areas. The condos over there are pretty nice though, and aren't out of this world expensive like some of the others around! I have yet to look at Brandon Ave, are there any condos over there? I'm looking for a more permanent spot for the next 4 years, away from the hustle and bustle of 14th st. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
As a UVA undergrad, I know that certain areas of Cville are NOT safe at night... I didnt know if this was one of the areas.

So what are these areas? I already live literally within walking distance from the worst areas of Milwaukee. It'd be nice to not repeat the experience, or at least know before I live there and walk around oblivious.

So what are these areas? I already live literally within walking distance from the worst areas of Milwaukee. It'd be nice to not repeat the experience, or at least know before I live there and walk around oblivious.

I'm sure it's not as bad as Milwaukee (!!), but Wertland St (just behind the corner away from the hospital and runs parallel) is quite frequent to muggings and attacks especially after 3 AM on weekends (Thursday-Saturday). I live off 14th St. now, the prevailing advice is not to walk home alone - walk with a friend! On the other hand, these attacks are almost always on drunk undergrads, not like that's any consolation though.

I just figured I will probably be walking home from the medical school pretty late at night and didn't know if the same stuff happened over by Walker Square.

Just for the record, I've heard no problems over off of Brandon Ave!

If you really think you're gonna be walking home that late... you can always go home b4 dark, drive back and park in the hospital parking garage that I believe is free after 5pm...

I haven't heard of anyone having problems walking home to Walker Square, however.

I actually live near walker's square and I've never had any serious problems walking home late at night. Occasionally I'll get a few cat calls and once I had a weird/drunk guy following and yelling at my friend and I, so yea, not the best neighborhood, but not like there's muggings or robberies all the time or anything. I have my pepperspray just in case, though.

Like a poster said before, you can park outside of the west complex on the weekends and after 5 every weekday for free if you're worried about walking home late at night (I did that last night because I knew I'd be in school until the wee hours of the morning studying for the horrible micro final this morning, ugggh).

No condos that I know of on Brandon, just apartments, houses, and dorms. I think your best bet for a condo near the school would be walker's square.

I'm sure it's not as bad as Milwaukee (!!), but Wertland St (just behind the corner away from the hospital and runs parallel) is quite frequent to muggings and attacks especially after 3 AM on weekends (Thursday-Saturday). I live off 14th St. now, the prevailing advice is not to walk home alone - walk with a friend! On the other hand, these attacks are almost always on drunk undergrads, not like that's any consolation though.

I just figured I will probably be walking home from the medical school pretty late at night and didn't know if the same stuff happened over by Walker Square.

Just for the record, I've heard no problems over off of Brandon Ave!

I actually live near walker's square and I've never had any serious problems walking home late at night. Occasionally I'll get a few cat calls and once I had a weird/drunk guy following and yelling at my friend and I, so yea, not the best neighborhood, but not like there's muggings or robberies all the time or anything. I have my pepperspray just in case, though.

Like a poster said before, you can park outside of the west complex on the weekends and after 5 every weekday for free if you're worried about walking home late at night (I did that last night because I knew I'd be in school until the wee hours of the morning studying for the horrible micro final this morning, ugggh).

No condos that I know of on Brandon, just apartments, houses, and dorms. I think your best bet for a condo near the school would be walker's square.

so I'm moving to Brandon next year too. The only condos I can imagine you saying are the ones at the end of the street...I think it's called 600 Brandon or 400 Brandon or something like that.

I live at Grad Court right now on 14th and because I'm facing INSIDE the courtyard, I don't hear much. But if I were to face 14th st., Thursday, Friday, and Sat night would be terrible. 14th is one of the main streets drunken ugrads crusade down and mornings will traditionally be littered with red cups and beer glasses.

Oxford hills, preston court, and ashtree are a bit further down 14th so you will largely be spared of this.

Things to watch out for when you're getting an apt though is PARKING. I can't stress that enough as parking is TERRIBLE here in c'ville. They will tow for EVERYTHING.

Does anyone have suggestions for places to stay during second look?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I booked a room at the Red Roof Inn, which I guess is pretty close to everything. Other than that, I didn't find really any other hotels nearby. I stayed with a student for my interview day, so I don't know too much about other lodging options.

I recommend Red Roof. Cheapest... free parking.. can walk to the bars AND the hospital/ med school. It's a win-win. Renovated a few years back too. They have fancy USB-esque keys to the rooms.

Thanks for the info.

The Red Roof is booked, as is the Clifton, Boars Inn, English Inn, Omni and Best Western.

I wonder why Charlottesville is so crowded this weekend?

Thanks for the info.

The Red Roof is booked, as is the Clifton, Boars Inn, English Inn, Omni and Best Western.

I wonder why Charlottesville is so crowded this weekend?

did you try the courtyard marriot? It's also pretty close to the hospital

did you try the courtyard marriot? It's also pretty close to the hospital

I'll be there :) I'd be pumped if any SDNers are there

I think this is also a weekend for other 2nd look weekends or similar stuff, also I've heard this is the first weekend that accepted high schoolers stop by.

Great bar specials set up for saturday night.. hope some of ya'll are hanging around.

Has anyone received a merit scholarship? If so, could you post when you received it? Thanks.

I got an email this past week about a scholarship. However, I do not know if it was a merit scholarship. I'm not complaining, I'll take what I can get.

Our committee was very impressed with your academic and humanistic attributes and chose you for this special award to supplement your education at UVA. You are a very special person and are deserving of this award.

If nothing else, it boosted my self esteem for the week.

You're not even going to hold out for the official financial aid package?

I got a scholarship this past week via email. Feel incredibly fortunate. I love UVA and its looking more and more like I will be there next fall.

You're not even going to hold out for the official financial aid package?

Agree - hold off until u see your aid package. Sometimes your school need-based grant money will be more than a scholarship [ie 16k]

Agreed, wait until you get your financial aid package. The fin-aid director said that like 66% of out of state students get the full package of 16,500/yr in need based scholarship. Some portion of students get a smaller amount

I can't wait to see the financial aid package. It's already looking like it will be cheaper for me to go to UVa than a school closer to home. Not to mention that 1) local school isn't giving out any financial aid award information until June and 2) There's no Second Look, or any information whatsoever from the other school coming in to try to sway me

oi vey! Tuition has gone up about 3,000. That's not cool. Has anyone gotten their fin-aid packages yet?

I received my preliminary aid package last week.

oi vey! Tuition has gone up about 3,000. That's not cool. Has anyone gotten their fin-aid packages yet?

ya I guess they have to pay for the new building somehow lol...and ya i got my package in late last week. have you decided on school yet?

hey emilio!

How was your drive home? I haven't decided yet, but I think a strong finaid package from UVA would be a clincher. I Still need to go to one revisit weekend to make sure. How about you?

How are these finaid packages looking? Seem fairly generous? Did it come via email or what?

I got a letter from my financial aid counselor. It's pretty generous.

hey emilio!

How was your drive home? I haven't decided yet, but I think a strong finaid package from UVA would be a clincher. I Still need to go to one revisit weekend to make sure. How about you?

How are these finaid packages looking? Seem fairly generous? Did it come via email or what?

Ah the drive wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been maybe I should have stayed and had a few drinks haha. But ya I think it's gonna be UVA for me although my finaid package was just 45000 a year in loans. I'm in that 'you're screwed' category of parents who make enough to not qualify but not enough to pay for my fees and I don't have anything unique enough that they will give me anything. Good luck with the process...I think UVA's gonna be a blast though!

Ah the drive wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been maybe I should have stayed and had a few drinks haha. But ya I think it's gonna be UVA for me although my finaid package was just 45000 a year in loans. I'm in that 'you're screwed' category of parents who make enough to not qualify but not enough to pay for my fees and I don't have anything unique enough that they will give me anything. Good luck with the process...I think UVA's gonna be a blast though!

Hey, at least you got 20k. They budgeted out 65k for us non-Virginians for everything.

Hey, at least you got 20k. They budgeted out 65k for us non-Virginians for everything.

ah i wish i got 20k...they actually just arent accounting for that. They said my parents are supposed to provide 65k and the 45k in loans are just an option. Needless to say my parents will not be doing that. Apparently I'm supposed to come up with the other 20k out of thin air? Or maybe I can convince the new government that I'm an important member of the economy and could use a piece of that 1 trillion. Either way I'm looking at a solid 250k at 7% or so (depending on what % Chase lends at)! I'm just not going to focus on that too much.

ah i wish i got 20k...they actually just arent accounting for that. They said my parents are supposed to provide 65k and the 45k in loans are just an option. Needless to say my parents will not be doing that. Apparently I'm supposed to come up with the other 20k out of thin air? Or maybe I can convince the new government that I'm an important member of the economy and could use a piece of that 1 trillion. Either way I'm looking at a solid 250k at 7% or so (depending on what % Chase lends at)! I'm just not going to focus on that too much.

That's rough man. I think the ~45k that has been alotted is the maximum amount of stafford subsidized+unsubsidized loans (I thought the maximum was like 42 but maybe they raised it). They hope that your parents will be willing to contribute the rest of the money, but if not, you will need to take the rest out in the 8.5% interest Grad-plus loans. I talked to my financial aid counselor at UVA about this and he said that UVA students in the past have VERY rarely had to draw funds from this source. However, with tuition increasing rapidly, OOS students who don't qualify for the need based scholarship, and who don't have super generous parents, are inevitably going to have to use the grad-plus loan. Average indebtedness at this school, and at most other schools around the country, are going to balloon over the next couple of years.

I got my financial aid notification from the University of Vermont the other day and they wanted me to take out 71,000 a year in loans. I calculated that I would be like 330,000 in debt by the time I graduate:thumbdown: So completely ridiculous.

hey guys, i was granted a deferral to finish my research at the NIH and now have an empty two person apartment on brandon avenue. for those of you not from c'ville...this is DIRECTLY NEXT to the hospital and its a street every med student wants. apartment for two would be under 500 a month each as far as rent goes.

any takers? PM me

Has anyone heard word of how the new VT-Carilion medical school, which is slated to open next year, will affect UVa rotations in Roanoke? Is UVa looking into new hospital partnerships?

Has anyone heard word of how the new VT-Carilion medical school, which is slated to open next year, will affect UVa rotations in Roanoke? Is UVa looking into new hospital partnerships?

yeah, i've heard they're working on augusta medical center and culpepper. having gone to med school at uva, i don't think the roanoke experience was adding too much to our education... if you know what i mean. i don't know when rotations at roanoke will stop exactly. previously about 20-25% of 3rd years were at roanoke at any given time.

So, I'm looking at the schedule, and I noticed we don't have Labor Day off. That's different...

Anyways, my brother is celebrating his 21st birthday that weekend in Vegas. Think I'll be able to sneak away for that?

is 2-2.5 miles too far away? It'd be like a 5 min drive, 10-15 minute bike, or a 30 min walk/bus ride...anyone know if many med students go this far off?

I don't know if anyone's still reading this, but I'm applying to UVa this year and I was just wondering why you guys choose UVa? What did you feel was the most unique/special about it?