University of Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Castro Viejo

Papa Clot Buster
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming that the University of Virginia is a good college (which it is, by most measures) and that its medical school is good (which it also is, by most measures), then why did the UVa Gen Surg program fill only 1/4 of its spots? Does anyone have any info on what happened down there? RRC issues? Hospital having financial difficulties?

Members don't see this ad.

apparently it was a clerical error entering their NRMP forms that caused this. This is a great program & very popular among students interviewing.

This was addressed in another thread (cannot recall the link). It WAS a clerical error (verified by some friends of mine at UVA). I loved UVA when I rotated and interviewed there. As far as I know, there are no difficulties - simple human mistake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the secretary did it...Dr. Schirmer was very gracious about it and called many of their top choices to explain the situation and extoll his sympathies and apologies for the situation. UVa is a class program and even though they weren't on my top three after my interview they won points with me with that phone call. I am sure that the situation has been addressed and by last report the class had been filled. Hope this helps. :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Guitarzan the Jungle Man:
•Yes, the secretary did it...Dr. Schirmer was very gracious about it and called many of their top choices to explain the situation and extoll his sympathies and apologies for the situation. UVa is a class program and even though they weren't on my top three after my interview they won points with me with that phone call. I am sure that the situation has been addressed and by last report the class had been filled. Hope this helps. :) •••••Hi there,
I am one of those folks who actually got University of Virginia for surgery you are correct. Dr. Schirmer is a first-class residency program director. The folks at UVa have been nothing short of fantastic in assisting us to get settled in Charlottesville. They have done an outstanding job in getting some mid-level practictioners to handle much of the scut that can take away from resident learning. I am very fortunate to be in Charlottesville and have the opportunity to study and learn under this department. They are absolutely dedicated to positively training the best surgeons possible. :clap: