University of Washingtion - Seattle (UW) vs UC Riverside (UCR) [Desperate help!]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GroundDigger

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Really need help with this because I need to make a decision very soon. I'm not sure if this is an obvious choice but would like it if some of you can kick sense into me. Also to keep in mind, I am from Southern California and would love to do my residency in California. I know that a majority of UCR students get matched into California residencies, but would that mean I would have a harder time matching into a California residency if I go to UW? (Side note: I got a tuition waiver at UW, so I don't have to pay the non-resident tuition. UW tuition at the moment is similar to my in-state UCR tuition, if not, a bit cheaper)

UCR
+Located in Southern California (nice & warm weather)
+UC system (potentially simple match into other UC residencies)
-New school
-Less resources than UW
(Don't know if I will be getting a scholarship here yet, haven't sent out financial award letters yet)

UW
+Tuition waiver + 10k scholarship offered.
+Seems like a very resourceful school
+(Prestige) Ranked #7 in research & #1 in primary care
-Located in rainy & snowy Seattle (far from family)
-Rotations in 3rd & 4th year across many states (requires us to move around a lot)

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm are you thinking about a competitive specialty? I would say if not, go for UW. Plenty of people will match back. Also while UCR is in California, it's pretty far away from all the other aspects of SoCal

I don't know much about UCR as a school. However, I personally would not want to live in the Inland Empire. You won't have a problem matching to CA from either school. Most people here will tell you UW because of its prestige. UW definitely has a more robust clinical training environment (university, county, and children's hospitals). I think moving around 3rd/4th year would be a con for me, but it could be fun. When else in your life would you be able to experience so many different ways of living in such a short time?

You can't go wrong with either. Congratulations!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd choose UW in a heartbeat. The Riverside area is not that great, very far inland, not near LA or the coast (although if you got in there you probably know that already since they pull from the area). UW is a great school and you can match all over the place from there.

Hmm are you thinking about a competitive specialty? I would say if not, go for UW. Plenty of people will match back. Also while UCR is in California, it's pretty far away from all the other aspects of SoCal
Not sure what specialty I want to do, but I certainly don't want the door closed for competitive specialties. Do you suppose it's difficult to match into a competitive specialty with UW?

I vote UW.

Just curious, UW and UCR both have a strong in-state/regional preference. How did you snag both of those acceptances?

Reactions: 1 user
I vote UW.

Just curious, UW and UCR both have a strong in-state/regional preference. How did you snag both of those acceptances?

I think about this everyday, literally have no idea. Almost didn’t apply to UW because of the 0.2% acceptance rate. Plus for UCR, I’m not even from the Inland Empire. I’ll be honest, I have below average stats. Really curious as to what they saw in my application that made them want me

I think about this everyday, literally have no idea. Almost didn’t apply to UW because of the 0.2% acceptance rate. Plus for UCR, I’m not even from the Inland Empire. I’ll be honest, I have below average stats. Really curious as to what they saw in my application that made them want me
If you have a lot of service hours dedicated to disadvantaged populations or are a non-trad with a prior career working with those populations that’s your answer!

I’ll start my answer by saying that I have a bias for UW and I know nothing about UCR.

Here are my two-cents about your cons that will hopefully provide moreninform
1.) There is definitely a lot of rain here but barely any snow. We usually get a snowstorm every few years. The summers are really nice and sunny but I’m sure nothing compared to SoCal.
2.) If I remember correctly, you only have to do three clerkships outside of the Seattle area. Maybe ask the school if it is possible to plan to them consecutively or if away rotations count. On the latter point, you could try to do away rotations in California that way you can still network.

Anyways, congratulations on getting accepted to both schools or more. You have a tough decision ahead but they both lead to good outcomes! Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users