University of Washington - Accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boobash

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
=), hey all!

just wanted to share the good news, just got my acceptance letter for UW today, so now i finally know for sure where i'm gonna spend the next four year of my life!!!

now, question for any other huskies on here, i was looking at the internships for the coming class of 2010, and is it common to have 4 year internships??? I was expecting more like, summer or maybe 1 year internship, but 4 year commitment to an internship??? isn't that a bit much?? anybody here know anything about what are some good internship places to lookout for in seattle area? or any other information about seattle that i should know? i'm from ohio/california and know nothing about seattle apart that it supposedly rain alot..

Members don't see this ad.

boobash said:
=), hey all!

just wanted to share the good news, just got my acceptance letter for UW today, so now i finally know for sure where i'm gonna spend the next four year of my life!!!

now, question for any other huskies on here, i was looking at the internships for the coming class of 2010, and is it common to have 4 year internships??? I was expecting more like, summer or maybe 1 year internship, but 4 year commitment to an internship??? isn't that a bit much?? anybody here know anything about what are some good internship places to lookout for in seattle area? or any other information about seattle that i should know? i'm from ohio/california and know nothing about seattle apart that it supposedly rain alot..

I think we'll find internships as soon as we go to orientation. I know we had to complete that criminal background check and get an okay from the WA Board of Pharmacy before we can apply for an internship. I think right now, I'm more worried about housing than finding a job!! haha.

boobash said:
=), hey all!

Hey Congratulations!
When did you interview with them?
M

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I definitely am going to apply to UW when the time rolls around!

Maboo said:
Hey Congratulations!
When did you interview with them?
M

My interview was two weeks ago, 4/11. =)

congratulations on acceptance! :thumbup:

congrats! I've been looking at internships too and it seems that most of the hospital internships would like that 4 year commitment and they'd also like you to start the summer before P1. I think if you're willing to go retail there are a lot more options, but I havent looked into that option.

Boobash, congrats! I'm waiting with anticipation to hear back from them.

steveysmith54 said:
congrats on admissions. Can u guys please share ur stats?

Yay!!!!- we can all meet eachother before orientation!! HI- My name's Melinda... but you can call me Mel. I'm from CA and I have no clue where I will live next year. Anybody else?

For SteveySmith: GPA 3.3, PCAT: 95, and a load of extracurriculars. I think I did really well during the interviews- so I think that's what matters most!

I wonder when they will send out the huge chunk of their mails. It is almost the end of April...

patmcd said:
Did they send your letter to your temp or permanent address?

Well... I only gave them one address, so I wouldn't know if they considered that permanent or temp.

Members don't see this ad :)
steveysmith54 said:
congrats on admissions. Can u guys please share ur stats?

Well, graduated from Ohio State University in 2002 with French major and Business minor, moved to Southern California, worked for a year or so (didn't like it) and went back to community college to pickup prereqs.

PCAT: (took the one from last june 2005)

Verbal 86
Biology 99
Reading 98
Quantitative 81 (I suck at mental math)
Chemistry 87
Composite 96

GPA: hmmm was gonna double check it on pharmcas but they won't let us access it anymore.. but something like 3.45 cumulative, and 3.1 science? (not super high)

Worked at Sav-on for a couple of months shy of 2 years. Lots of non science/health related extra-curricular activities back in Ohio (mainly Asian student organizations), and here in Cali, apart from work and school, I also TA different science labs, been an Anatomy Lab TA for a year, and now currently working as second Ochem Lab TA, and Physiology Lab TA.

Like Mel, I thougth I nailed the interview too: spoke French with one of the interviewer who also spent a year in Paris, talked about the Cherry Blossoms, karate, and alternative/homeopathic medicine, and at the end of the interview (I was the last afternoon person interviewed) they asked me if I knew where to eat dinner, and they suggested a Pho place somewhere near campus. =)

The other more "serious" questions were stuff like "name a drug that you work with and are familiar", so I gave the whole speech about ZPacks, azithromycin 250mg, how it's taken, and what it's for. They stumped me with "what class of drug is it?", didn't know what class of antibiotic... "what kind of person are you in school?", "what kind of person are you at work?", talked about physician over-prescribing and why are they doing it, and is it a good thing of bad thing. I said something about me being a leader, and they asked if it would be a problem then that I would have to follow a physician's order and not be the one prescribing. And what would I do if a physician prescribing something that I KNOW is wrong.

I think those were all the main questions.

erinlindsey said:
congrats! I've been looking at internships too and it seems that most of the hospital internships would like that 4 year commitment and they'd also like you to start the summer before P1. I think if you're willing to go retail there are a lot more options, but I havent looked into that option.

Hi erinlindsey

You're from Seattle right? Do you know much about the Swedish Medical group? Are they really the "best" on the pacific northwest like they say? I emailed both the Swedish and Harborview's coordinators, and got some pretty good feedback/info from them. Right now I'm leaning a bit more towards Harborview, since it's right there on campus. How about you?

I'm also a bit concerned about working around 8-16 hours/week during the school year. It's not that much, but I don't know what to expect from the shcool's workload... any current interns here that have anything to share about their work/school load? and places that offer good intership experience in Seattle??

When I was there fot my interview, the student guides said that a lot of people for around 10 hours a week. If your good at time management I'm sure you can handle it.

Boobash,
I am from Seattle and did my undergrad at UW. Swedish is a good hospital but not necessarily the best, though it is very extensive. I guess it depends on what kind of treatment patients are looking for. Virginia Mason is also a good hospital and has a similar internship program. I currently work at Harborview as a research scientist and it too is a great hospital (it is the trauma one center for the pacific northwest) but the patient population is much more diverse.
I've also been looking into internships and am most intersted in Harborview (mostly for it's location and because I already work there). You might also want to check out Children's (it's close to the UW), Group Health, Valley medical (though it's a half hour away), and Virginia Mason. I know they all have internships.
BTW, it's awesome that you have a french degree, I thought I'd be the only one!

If you have any other question feel free to PM me or you can ask here.

I don't know where I missed that you guys had French degrees, but I do too! Not going to UW, but anyhow. Congrats to both of you!
erinlindsey said:
Boobash,
I am from Seattle and did my undergrad at UW. Swedish is a good hospital but not necessarily the best, though it is very extensive. I guess it depends on what kind of treatment patients are looking for. Virginia Mason is also a good hospital and has a similar internship program. I currently work at Harborview as a research scientist and it too is a great hospital (it is the trauma one center for the pacific northwest) but the patient population is much more diverse.
I've also been looking into internships and am most intersted in Harborview (mostly for it's location and because I already work there). You might also want to check out Children's (it's close to the UW), Group Health, Valley medical (though it's a half hour away), and Virginia Mason. I know they all have internships.
BTW, it's awesome that you have a french degree, I thought I'd be the only one!

If you have any other question feel free to PM me or you can ask here.

I'm going to UW next year as well and also looked into internships. I e-mailed both Swedish and Harborview and got more of a response from Harborview. I interviewed with them and they were incredibly nice. I took the internship at Harborview, is anyone else interning there? I'm sure any of the major hospitals would be great to intern at, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Congratulations on all who got accepted. May I ask, this internship that you're talking about, is it the 300 hours according to the student handbook, or the whole 1500 needed to get a license by the time you graduate? I guess my impression is, the school do not have any arrangement on this internship and students are left to find any position by themselves? Many thanks for clarification.

MichelleG said:
I'm going to UW next year as well and also looked into internships. I e-mailed both Swedish and Harborview and got more of a response from Harborview. I interviewed with them and they were incredibly nice. I took the internship at Harborview, is anyone else interning there? I'm sure any of the major hospitals would be great to intern at, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Wow MichelleG!!

Congratulations on the internship!! I really want to intern at Harborview too, wow, now there's one less internship spot huh? When did you interview with them? And I guess since we're on dates, when did you receive your acceptance letter from UW?

rougemarie said:
Congratulations on all who got accepted. May I ask, this internship that you're talking about, is it the 300 hours according to the student handbook, or the whole 1500 needed to get a license by the time you graduate? I guess my impression is, the school do not have any arrangement on this internship and students are left to find any position by themselves? Many thanks for clarification.

We're talking about the internships that were posted on the school's website, but it can also apply to any internships around the Seattle area too. These hours won't start to count until after the end of our first quarter at UW, so it's kind of a jump start for those who are interested to get started right away. And they would count toward the 1500 hours needed total I guess. These are not the ones the school will "setup" for us, I think those hours will be picked up during our 4th year rotations?? Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here. =P

Sorry for triple posting,

But just noticed the new internships posted on UW's page, anybody interesting in spending the summer in Anchorage, Alaska?? I don't think you can beat their pay rate ($20/hr), and I love the part about the surpervisor being a former charter boat captain, and we can go fishing during time off.

Boobash sounds like your interview was great! It sounds like they assume your knowledge of certain medications...as a prePharm student I haven't had much experience with actual medication, I have little knowledge (this worries me!) - any advice besides picking up a pfizer catalogue?!

Mongoos150 said:
Boobash sounds like your interview was great! It sounds like they assume your knowledge of certain medications...as a prePharm student I haven't had much experience with actual medication, I have little knowledge (this worries me!) - any advice besides picking up a pfizer catalogue?!

You know what, the best thing is to work in a pharmacy. Before working for Sav-on, I had no clue about drugs and how insurance works or anything. Depending on how attentive you are, you should be able to pick up knowledge about medications pretty easily. Pretty much, when I was hired, I had to spend a week at headquarters being trained on the pharmacy computer system, and learn the doctor speed codes, and insurance processing, drug speed codes etc. Take a test at the end of the training, pass it, and start working. They put me in the out-window (cash register) until I get the hang of it, and when pharmacist consult on new prescriptions to patients, you just listen to them and start learning that way. When it's slower, they would put me at the in-window, and I would practice typing in new prescriptions, and that's another way to learn about medication and how it's taken, and what it's used for. You learn your brand name/generic that way too.

Interesting. Sounds like the Walgreens tech training that I want to get involved with will be extremely helpful. Thanks!

boobash said:
Wow MichelleG!!

Congratulations on the internship!! I really want to intern at Harborview too, wow, now there's one less internship spot huh? When did you interview with them? And I guess since we're on dates, when did you receive your acceptance letter from UW?

I interviewed with UW during finals week on winter quarter, then I heard back like a couple weeks later from then. Then I e-mailed Harborview right away and I think a week or so later I interviewed with them. I found out I had the internship about a week ago. I'm pretty excited.
As for the Anchorage internship, I'm from Alaska, and I haven't been to Anchorage in the summer, but I have been near by. Its great weather! Really warm and sunny and there are long days of sunlight. I would suggest spending the summer up there to anyone. I like the Harborview internship because its for four years and is a really well developed program. You get exposed to so many different types of pharmacy there too. I love to hear if anyone else has the Harborview internship!

boobash said:
You know what, the best thing is to work in a pharmacy. Before working for Sav-on, I had no clue about drugs and how insurance works or anything. Depending on how attentive you are, you should be able to pick up knowledge about medications pretty easily. Pretty much, when I was hired, I had to spend a week at headquarters being trained on the pharmacy computer system, and learn the doctor speed codes, and insurance processing, drug speed codes etc. Take a test at the end of the training, pass it, and start working. They put me in the out-window (cash register) until I get the hang of it, and when pharmacist consult on new prescriptions to patients, you just listen to them and start learning that way. When it's slower, they would put me at the in-window, and I would practice typing in new prescriptions, and that's another way to learn about medication and how it's taken, and what it's used for. You learn your brand name/generic that way too.

Mongoos-

I really don't think the adcom EXPECTS you to know your drugs- I just think in this particular case Boobash (aka Binh- right?) mentioned learning about drugs in his personal statement. The Adcom will ask you questions very specific to your essays. I know I was asked a question about discrepencies between in-vitro and in-vivo tests. This was in reference to the fact that I worked with herbal medicines in Peru. I mentioned doing simple assays there and they asked me a question to verify if I had the experience I said I did.

If you did want to learn about drugs though- besides getting experience in a retail pharmacy, you should really consider taking a pharmacology class. I worked in a high volume retail pharmacy for 3 years and if I had to rely on that experience to gain my knowledge on drugs- I would probably only know the handful of drugs that get prescribed often.

Anyway- I hope that helps!

Thanks for the info - I just purchased a PTCB book and plan on studying for the tech licensure exam and can hopefully get some tech experience under my belt between now and next year. Thanks for the advice!

meLtdown4meL said:
Boobash (aka Binh- right?)

Name's Bao (rhymes with wow). =P But you're right, I did mentioned that I previously had little knowledge about drugs and learned alot from working at the pharmacy. I also mentioned how my family are also kind of "anti-drugs", and we rely alot more on homeopathic, herbal and chinese medicine. So that's also why they asked me alot of questions about alternative medicine to check if I did know my stuff or not. Lucky for me too, one of the interviewer teaches a class on homeopathic drugs, so he really would of known if I lied about it. =)

boobash said:
Name's Bao (rhymes with wow). =P But you're right, I did mentioned that I previously had little knowledge about drugs and learned alot from working at the pharmacy. I also mentioned how my family are also kind of "anti-drugs", and we rely alot more on homeopathic, herbal and chinese medicine. So that's also why they asked me alot of questions about alternative medicine to check if I did know my stuff or not. Lucky for me too, one of the interviewer teaches a class on homeopathic drugs, so he really would of known if I lied about it. =)

Sorry Bao- I know it started with a B :oops: and I guess I was thinking about my friend Binh. My apologies. Did you interview with Dr. Elmer? He asked me a ton of questions about my ethnobotany research/alternative medicines. I'm so excited to take his elective course!!

Are you guys going to apply for internships when you move in August/Septemberish- or are you guys going to apply ASAP? I was under the impression that UW had to complete the criminal background check,etc. before we could even be considered for an internship. I may be wrong.

meLtdown4meL said:
Sorry Bao- I know it started with a B :oops: and I guess I was thinking about my friend Binh. My apologies. Did you interview with Dr. Elmer? He asked me a ton of questions about my ethnobotany research/alternative medicines. I'm so excited to take his elective course!!

Are you guys going to apply for internships when you move in August/Septemberish- or are you guys going to apply ASAP? I was under the impression that UW had to complete the criminal background check,etc. before we could even be considered for an internship. I may be wrong.

No sweat about the name confusion.

I am applying for the internship right now (to start working julyish i think). UW do have to do the criminal background check and all first, they said it would take a couple of weeks (after receiving all transcript and autographed papers from us), and then when all that's done, they gonna submit our name to the State's Board of Pharmacy or something like that, saying that we are officially going to be UW pharm students. THEN, have to apply for pharm intern license, and finally I guess hope to get accepted in whichever program you want and start working??

So yeah, I emailed both Swedish and Harborview, so far Harborview just said that I just had to give my intent to apply to the program, and they'll invite me for interview. Swedish asked for my resume, and I guess they'll just look at it, and invite me to interview too? In the meantime, I sent all those transcripts/forms back to UW, and looking at the intern license paperwork.

As for Dr. Elmer, to be honest, I forgot my interviewer's names! I know, it's bad, but I could recognize them if you have a picture! =) I know one of them is working on/teaching infectious diseases. One is teaching a class of homeopathic medicine/pharmacy, and the last faculty, not sure what he's teaching but I think I remember him owning a community pharmacy? I'll have to double check their names when school starts, and give them a big old thanks for believing in me!

Dr. Elmer teaches an alternative medicine elective in Fall quarter. He is a realllllllllllllly nice professor. I didn't take the course but I heard the class is pretty easy.

meLtdown4meL said:

Hello Bash,

I am happy for you. I have to start with mine this summer. I wish I was done with the whole application process. I know it is not going to be fun.

I'll see you around.

MichelleG said:
I interviewed with UW during finals week on winter quarter, then I heard back like a couple weeks later from then. Then I e-mailed Harborview right away and I think a week or so later I interviewed with them. I found out I had the internship about a week ago. I'm pretty excited.

Hey Michelle,

Just another quick question about Harborview, did you have to send them your resume or anything before they invited you for an interview, or did you just email Cindy and mentioned you were interested in the internship?

Bao

I know your question wasnt directed at me but I thought I'd respond. I just emailed Cindy saying I was interested, then went in to discuss the program, and intervied a few days later at which point I gave them my resume. But I guess it can never hurt to send a resume. I also talked to virginia mason today (after sending my resume online) and they just offered me an interview.

erinlindsey said:
I know your question wasnt directed at me but I thought I'd respond. I just emailed Cindy saying I was interested, then went in to discuss the program, and intervied a few days later at which point I gave them my resume. But I guess it can never hurt to send a resume. I also talked to virginia mason today (after sending my resume online) and they just offered me an interview.

AHH!!!! You interviewed already?!? ~sigh~, I emailed Cindy last week saying I was interested and haven't heard back from them. I really want an interview too, but problem is I can't just pop in for one, I have to buy yet another plane ticket.. a week or two in advance.

Btw, speaking of resume, how long is yours? I wasn't sure if there should be a length limit, cause some people say 1 page only, other say 1-2. Mine right now, unabridged is 3 pages. I guess it's more of a CV than a "resume". ~sigh~ I want an interview!! =P

Mine was more of a CV so I shortened it down to a page for the interview. I figured they propbably dont need detail on my research experience aside that I have it and I eliminated the other irrelevant jobs. harborview has 6 intern positions and I'm not sure where they stand. They said they had to turn away a couple of people because they couldnt start until August or september. So with michelle and I, that leaves 4 spots.
The virginia mason program sounded similar except less structured and they pay a little less but offer some sort of tuition reimbursement (like $250-500 a quater if you work a certain number of hours and your grades are good) and dont really require a 4 year commitment so I figure they also take starting interns higher than P1 unlike harborview.

erinlindsey said:
So with michelle and I, that leaves 4 spots.

So you got the internship?? Congratulations!!! I do suppose they'd give preference to Washington/Seattle residents first huh? Well, in my original email to Harborview, I asked if they needed me to fill out any other applications or to send them my resume. And she only replied that I just need to say that I'm interested, and they'll invite me for an interview. I replied back last week saying I was really interested but haven't heard anything back yet. With so few spots left, I'm getting anxious to atleast just get an interview. I don't know if sending them an "unrequested" CV, would make me look too pushy. Or should I just sit tight and wait for them to email me back?

I just accepted it, I'm just hoping there wont be any complications getting my intern license in June :( It would kinda suck to quit my job and then find out I cant work for a while because the license hasn't been processed.

I know Cindy was sick last week so she may not have gotten to your email yet. But just incase I might send them a copy of your resume in a few days if you havent heard back saying that you're still very interested in their program.

Did you ask if you could possibly do a phone interview? It might save you the airfare.