University of Washington Alternate List 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MonchichiMan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I should make a forum for all of us alternates at the Universtiy of Washington. It will be nice to gage who and when people are getting accepted off the list. I talked to Kathy a week ago and she said I was #4! Who else is out there! Good luck to us all.

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings! I'm #9 on the waitlist. I hope we get a call. Good luck to everyone!:luck::hardy::D

Greetings! I'm #9 on the waitlist. I hope we get a call. Good luck to everyone!:luck::hardy::D

Good luck to you. I just noticed that you got in UCLA... Your success puts a smile on my face because it could mean, you know, another spot available at OHSU... :laugh::D

Members don't see this ad :)
Staying positive.....dreaming of receiving that phone call.....:sleep::D:sleep::D

Does anyone had any idea how this works? Will we be notified immediately as spots become available? Or will they just accept a group at a time?

I have no clue. If anyone speaks to Kathy soon for some reason and asks her about the alternate selection process, can you please post the info on this thread. I'm sure we would all appreciate it. Thanks. :D

They've switched many of their processes this year, so I don't know if this holds true. However, the way waitlists usually work is that they have x amount of people accepted and waiting for deposit/ commitment. Thus they put rest of the not-yet-accepted but highly competitive applicants on the waitlist. As the accepted applicants decide that they want to waive their acceptance, they offer the spots to the waitlistees, in order. However, it is difficult to predict the outcome, as some waitlistees have been accepted to another school, and they take those spots instead of waiting. So keep your hopes up! You never know when you'll get the call. It can be in March or may, but it'll be awesome regardless. Good luck!:)

They've switched many of their processes this year, so I don't know if this holds true. However, the way waitlists usually work is that they have x amount of people accepted and waiting for deposit/ commitment. Thus they put rest of the not-yet-accepted but highly competitive applicants on the waitlist. As the accepted applicants decide that they want to waive their acceptance, they offer the spots to the waitlistees, in order. However, it is difficult to predict the outcome, as some waitlistees have been accepted to another school, and they take those spots instead of waiting. So keep your hopes up! You never know when you'll get the call. It can be in March or may, but it'll be awesome regardless. Good luck!:)
Thanks for the info. ;)

Any changes with the waitlist?:idea:

I was wondering what it takes to get in to UW or at least get on to the wait list?

What were the averages that they were interviewing when you all went in there?

It is so variable. You just don't know with UW. I have seen wide ranges of scores and experiences interviewing as well as being accepted. I have seen overall GPAs of 3.0 and DAT scores of 17 to very high scores. I don't think anyone can really say.

I think I can tell you what UW is looking for (at least in my opinion).

1.People with commitment to work for rural/underserved areas.
2.People with great interest towards RESEARCH.

From what I have seen, you need to be a WA resident or else even if you have 3.8/22+ DAT, you might not get invited for the interview.
So, if you are WA resident with decent GPA (3.4+) and decent DAT (20+) then you should be competitive enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the call from Kathy today, I'm in!!!:D I'm so excited I can't even believe it!
I was 1st on the alternate list, so the process is underway. Good luck to everyone else on the list!:luck:

As for grades, my overall GPA was only 2.81, and my dats were AA-20/PAT-19, but this was my 3rd time applying and I showed my dedication to this by taking more classes, volunteering in a clinic, getting better letters, improving my essay, etc...:thumbup:

I got the call from Kathy today, I'm in!!!:D I'm so excited I can't even believe it!
I was 1st on the alternate list, so the process is underway. Good luck to everyone else on the list!:luck:

As for grades, my overall GPA was only 2.81, and my dats were AA-20/PAT-19, but this was my 3rd time applying and I showed my dedication to this by taking more classes, volunteering in a clinic, getting better letters, improving my essay, etc...:thumbup:

congratulations. This just goes to show you that UW is looking at more than just grades and test scores when it comes to accepting applicants.

Congratulations BBran!!!

I think I can tell you what UW is looking for (at least in my opinion).

1.People with commitment to work for rural/underserved areas.
2.People with great interest towards RESEARCH.

From what I have seen, you need to be a WA resident or else even if you have 3.8/22+ DAT, you might not get invited for the interview.
So, if you are WA resident with decent GPA (3.4+) and decent DAT (20+) then you should be competitive enough.

I'm going to have to disagree with nearly all of the above comments. Yes, it is is competitive to get an interview as an out of state applicant (or even in state, for that matter), but I don't think UW is specifically looking for research oriented students or thos who will serve in R/U communities. The interview is a major determinant of character and personality for the school to see if you would be a successful, moral, capable, and all around outstanding dental student. I can't say as a 100% fact, but I am quite certain that most of the out of state students (at least in my class) did not have 3.8/22+ scores. As far as it goes for in-staters, I think your stats to be competitive might ring true, but there are plenty of in-staters with stats below those values in all classes. Realize when you check out the stats on the UWSoD website that the values are averages so there are students who have scores higher and there are students with lower scores. Don't be discouraged. Yes it is competitive, but it isn't just based on outrageously high scores...normal people get in too :)

...and congrats bbran!!

Has anybody heard anything new? As of last month I had moved from #4 to #2 on the alternate list. That was before the 15 of March. Any new info would be great!

It's good to see some movement. I started as #9 so i should be #7. I plan on calling after May 1st. What do you think MochichiMan? Oh, I hope we get off the list. :rolleyes::scared:;)

I talked to her today and no new movement. She suggested around late may early june. Registration is in June and that is when they see the largest turn-over, if there is one. So we will see. I hate waiting, but patience is a good thing to learn.

Kathy called me today about 2 pm. I am IN!!!! I was #2 as of yesterday and am now in, so good luck all you alternates!!

Kathy called me today about 2 pm. I am IN!!!! I was #2 as of yesterday and am now in, so good luck all you alternates!!

CONGRATULATIONS MOCHICHIMAN!!!!!! I'm very happy for you. That's great! Now I should be #6. I'll keep my fingers crossed. UW is a great dental school. They're really good with clinical training. I hope I can go there. I'll check with Kathy in early June. I hope I get off the waitlist too. I know you're celebrating this weekend. Again, congrats!!!!:clap::bow::clap:

Any movement? If so, please post. :corny:

Do you really need to do this? I mean, you'll hear from the school if you get in. Try relaxing instead of bumping this topic every day.

Do you really need to do this? I mean, you'll hear from the school if you get in. Try relaxing instead of bumping this topic every day.

Dude relax! SDN is here for everyone to use. I'm just trying to see if there's any activity out there. We are all here to help each other after all. I'm sure you log onto SDN for some specific reason or need. I do too. And by the way, I am relaxed. Again, I'm having fun following up on a dental school I'm interested in. Thanks for the tip and take care. Peace and love to you.;)

I will admit, it is kinda annoying too
Especially when its bumped everyday with a smiley
I think if someone has something to put, they will put it on here

Quick question though, just curious
I saw your pre-dents file

It says you got into UCLA, and withdrew from it, and yet your waiting to here from UW?? And your a California resident. Maybe its just me, but I don't get why you would want UW more than UCLA.

For those on the alternate list in the previous years, when did you hear your acceptance for UW Dental School?

For those on the alternate list in the previous years, when did you hear your acceptance for UW Dental School?

Supposedly, the alternate can still get accepted to the school until the first day of school, but that almost never happens. For the class of 2012, 15 alternate acceptance was handed out I think, and only 5 people were accepted in the end, so unless you are up there on the list, it will be tough. If i remember correctly, the class was set by this time around already.