nmbutah

l
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone know if the U of W still has their track where you spend 3rd and 4th year in Anchorage? They don't seem to be advertising it on their website anymore, it sounded pretty interesting.

prittypistol

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
At an interview for another west coast school they mentioned something about them stopping it

splik

Professional Cat at Large
7+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
The Alaska track (I don't think it was in Anchorage actually, maybe Juneau?) stopped recruiting last year due to the Alaskans pulling the funding. It was only the 4th year in Alaska. It is still possible to do several months of Alaska rotations in the Seattle track however and several residents usually go in the summer months.

Dec 23, 2012
Status
Medical Student
The only formal track is the Idaho track but you can do electives in pgy3/4 in Alaska, Wyoming, or Montana. That's at least my understanding.

While on the trend of UW, I really love this program. I also fell in love with Seattle. As someone interested in CL and integrative care, I imagine there are few places that can match this program. I am very interested in academic medicine and I was wondering how strong the UW name is in terms of pursuing a future in academics? I would also love to hear people's opinions and impressions of this program.

Thanks!

prittypistol

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The only formal track is the Idaho track but you can do electives in pgy3/4 in Alaska, Wyoming, or Montana. That's at least my understanding.

While on the trend of UW, I really love this program. I also fell in love with Seattle. As someone interested in CL and integrative care, I imagine there are few places that can match this program. I am very interested in academic medicine and I was wondering how strong the UW name is in terms of pursuing a future in academics? I would also love to hear people's opinions and impressions of this program.

Thanks!

UW is like the BEST for anything psychiatry you want to do. That name is the strongest IMO

Nasrudin

Apropos of Nothing
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
UW is like the BEST for anything psychiatry you want to do. That name is the strongest IMO
That's reaching. I don't think any program is the best at everything. From what I've seen program's have a couple strengths tops, or admittedly at such a huge university program as UW maybe more than that. But I haven't even heard of psychoanalytics mentioned in the same sentence as UW as an example. Not that I'm into that.

splik

7+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
There is a Spokane track if I understand correctly?
the spokane track is no longer recruiting as the state pulled the funding for it. there is one resident left in this program and next year it will be no more alas.

splik

7+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
If you are interested in C/L psychiatry then UW is the top program in the country and there is a heavy emphasis on C/L psychiatry- 4 months of inpatient C/L divided between UW/Harborview/VA and at least one month of outpatient C/L but most residents do more. outpatient C/L experiences including primary care consultation to clinics in the community, the VA, the internal medicine, geriatric, or family medicine clinics; or consultation to specialized clinics including women's health, HIV, psycho-oncology, diabetes, cardiology, pain, palliative care, maternal infant care, international clinic, just to name a few. you can also set up your own consultation service to a clinic if you are so inclined. The focus on the department is in integrated care, and collaborative care as one model of this, and these models (e.g. IMPACT) have been rolled out across the country, and now in the grounds for international work.

In terms of academics residents who are interested in this do well. A recent graduate is a postdoc/research fellow at MGH/Harvard, a current resident will be a Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar next year; many residents joint the faculty and 2 recent graduates are associate residency directors. Current residents and recent graduate have been good at getting national awards including the APA Minority Leadership Fellowship, The NIMH outstanding resident of the year award, the Group for Advancement of Psychiatry Fellowship, the American Psychoanalytic Association Fellowship, The PRITE Fellowship, the Association of Academic Psychiatry Fellowship, and the current and immediate past APA member in training trustee are UW residents or fellows.

although there are people doing research in neuroimaging and genetics in the department these are not a major strength of the program (for adult psych anyway), and the major focus is on epidemiology, health services research, geriatrics, addictions, collaborative care, psychosomatics, community psychiatry, and mental health policy. So if you want to be a major psychiatric geneticist or neuroimager (i.e. phrenologist) then you would be better off going elsewhere. If you are interested in the research foci mentioned above, you would do very well at UW and it has a very strong national and international reputation in these fields.

originally the research track focused on neuroscience, but has now expanded to include epi/health services research and addictions psychiatry. NIMH funding for a residency track has been applied for. You can have elective time for research or clinician educator time (i.e. curriculum development, teaching med students/residents) from PGY-1. There is also a teachers scholars track for those interested more in education.

Reactions: rikudo

splik

7+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
That's reaching. I don't think any program is the best at everything. From what I've seen program's have a couple strengths tops, or admittedly at such a huge university program as UW maybe more than that. But I haven't even heard of psychoanalytics mentioned in the same sentence as UW as an example. Not that I'm into that.
This is probably true. I would say MGH/McLean, Columbia, and UCLA are strong in pretty much everything across the board academics wise and that's about it.

UW is not known for psychoanalysis and you may be better off in New York or Boston if you want a really heavy duty psychodynamic experience during residency. I am of the opinion that if you want to learn this stuff in great detail it should be your choice and not thrust upon you by residency programs (what are they NOT teaching you if you are spending all your time talking about erotic transference). There are no psychoanalysts on the faculty proper, but there are over 400 volunteer faculty who teach residents in the community, including most of the analysts of the Seattle Psychoanalytic Society and Institute. You start seeing your long term psychodynamic psychotherapy in your PGY-2 (unlike UCSF or UCLA which are often more associated with this sort of thing in the west coast, where you don't start this until PGY-3), and have weekly supervision with a psychoanalyst. 1/4-1/3 residents opt to do the 2-year adult or child psychoanalytic psychotherapy training through SPSI from their 2nd/3rd year (unlike many programs where you cant really do this until PGY-4) and something like 1 resident each year/every other year does the full hard core psychoanalysis training which you could potentially do from PGY-2. As mentioned above residents have applied and been awarded the American Psychoanalytic Association Fellowship which gives free ride to 2 meetings, mentorship etc. There is also a psychotherapy track/pathway and you can choose to get additional training/supervision in psychoanalytic psychotherapy if you wished.

The department proper is better known for training in cognitive behavioral therapies and is of course the birthplace of DBT, and you will get second to none training in these therapies if you so wish. You pretty much don't have the intensive opportunity to join the cult of DBT anywhere else. despite what you may be told.

I would say the weaknesses are: neuroimaging, genetics, schizophrenia research, psychopharm trials outside of addictions, forensics

Dec 23, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Thank you all for your insight! This is very useful in the tedious process of figuring out where to go for residency!