University of Washington and UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ain't this a bit-c!!! University of Washington sends me this email:

"Congratulations! You have been asked to complete your application to the University of Washington School of Medicine even though you reside outside the five-state area known as WWAMI. This in itself is quite an honor. Because you have been screened in very close to our January 15, 2002 deadline, we will give you a month to finish your application. Therefore, we will set your deadline to February 14th, 2002.

Thank you for applying to the UWSOM; we look forward to further correspondence from you".

AND UCLA...my state school hasn't send me anything...what's up with that? does anyone from cali or other states feel the same way? I don't even know if I should send in this application...it's so late in the game and I'm running kind of low in cash....any ideas/suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, that's great news!!! I certainly would fill it out, regardless of the deadline. UW says they should have all of their final decisions made in April, so you have plenty of time to receive an interview. Money is another issue....

I would definitely send it in. It's a cheap secondary (only $35) and its not that far to fly for an interview if asked so that wouldn't be expensive. Lastly, its a great school. Tuition is not too unreasonable for out-of-state. I think you have a better chance of getting into UW this late if they have asked you for a secondary as an out-of-stater than you would from UCLA. Go for it and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah I forgot to add...don't let a $35 application fee and a $250 airplane ticket keep you from getting into medical school...

UCLA--->

I received a secondary from UCLA in early October. So sounds like they are have been sending out secondaries. However, make sure you have completed their special preliminary app. for all UC schools that was created to get around the AMCAS problems.

BT

Check your status page for UCLA. THey asked for my secondary on 12/18, but they never sent me the E-mail. I only found out about 1/7.

I'm envious Don. I still haven't heard from U-Dub either way applying as a CA resident. No love to this alum I guess. I turned in the 2dary to UCLA around TG Day and nothing. Only thing I got when I called U-Dubs ad. office was the all too familiar "you could hear next week or in 4 wks." :mad: Good luck on your app! ;)

I am a UCLA alum and havent received a secondary yet from them. They supposedly will have all decisions regarding secondaries made by the end of January (I seriously doubt it). But... I have accepted the fact that if it takes them this long to decide whether I am worthy of a secondary...my chances for an interview (let alone acceptance) are pretty low. The funny thing is that I am probably considered a very competitive applicant because my numbers are above their averages and my EC's + research + essay are good (better than average). One thing I learned about UCLA med while at UCLA was that their admissions process is weirder and more arbitrary than any other school I have ever heard about. So dont get discouraged.... it isnt you... it is them. By the way... Washington is a great school...I would love to go there even just for an interview.

Hey UCLA2001. How are you faring in the rest of CA? I've been axed from Davis and SF, and am still waiting to hear after submitting 2daries to LA, UCI, Stanford, and SC. Have you had interviews? Oh BTW nothing about a 2dary from SD so I'm certain I'm toast there.

Triangulation,
No love from California at all. Davis and SF gave me the ax. No secondary from UCLA yet. I am waiting for interviews/rejections from UCSD, Stanford, UCI, and USC. Have given up on California. I am pretty sure that for the next 4 years I will be either in Ann Arbor, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, or Washington DC. Hopefully Ann Arbor.

Don't get your hopes up too high about the UW thing... I was all proud of myself for getting that same email. I figured that I had a great shot at an interview...later got the axe...no interview.

I was told by the office of Multicultural Affairs when I interviewd there two years ago as an out-of-stater that they only interview out-of-staters if they demonstrate an interest in serving the underserved. If you complete the secondary, I would keep that tidbit in mind. ;)

thanks for your advice my peeps....
UCLA2000 that's why I'm really debating if I should send the secondary...
ccryder: the opportunity to practice medicine in underserved areas is exactly the reason why I'm going into medicine....I'll make my decision by tomorrow, whether I send it in or not
:cool:

****. Once again reminded that I suck, I prominently mentioned my desire to practice w/the underserved in both my personal state and my pract. vision, and nothing from U-Dub. Funny (i.e. crappy) story, my senior year at U-Dub the valedictorian for the graduating class applied to UWSOM w/research, volunteering, president for 2 yrs of Bio Honor Society and never got an interview until after he had interviewed, been accepted, and submitted letter of intent to Wash U. in St Louis. We all couldn't figure that one out. An inscrutable process, no?

By all means send it! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes! They may accept you..who knows. I'm just saying..don't get excited just yet. I wasn't expecting a denial without interview after I got that congratulatory email. It was a shock to me.

Dr Don,

Send in the application! UW is a great school, especially if you're interested in working with underserved populations. I'm also a California resident and just interviewed there early this month (and although I sent in a secondary to UCLA in October, I still haven't heard anything from them). What really impressed me about UW is a true commitment to working with diverse underserved communities, from rural communities, to Indian reservations, to inner city neighborhoods. They have a strong focus on primary care, strong student support services, and a ton of research dollars. I also found out while I was there that you can establish residency after your first year as a student, and for the first year they try to come up with enough financial aid to cover your out-of-state portion of tuition.

Go for it! It's a relatively easy and cheap secondary, and, again, a really great school...