University of Washington and Virginia Mason pain fellowship program opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got buddy applying to the pain fellowships and he wants some info on the University of Washington and Virginia Mason pain fellowships. Even though I live in Seattle I'm new here and don't know much about them. Anybody have any reliable info?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I've got buddy applying to the pain fellowships and he wants some info on the University of Washington and Virginia Mason pain fellowships. Even though I live in Seattle I'm new here and don't know much about them. Anybody have any reliable info?

Thanks!

VM is basically a regional fellowship I believe.

VM has a separate regional fellowship, although as a pain fellow you have an opportunity to do some regional (I recommend it - great U/S and catheter experience). The fellowship is very interventional. Tons of spine procedures, increasing number of pumps/stims. Active cancer pain management. Plenty of acute pain experience (epidural/cont cath/PCA management). Intradiscal experience is lacking, however.

There's some collaboration with UW. I think the fellows will be doing some PM&R work at the U. Great experience with DuPen (pump guru), though I'm not sure he's still in practice. Faculty is great and easy going. Overall, a solid experience.