University of Washington Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

George_Clooney

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All: I recently found out I was accepted to UW and I am can't wait to meet my future classmates!! Anyone else headed to Seattle in the Fall?
If anyone is already living in Seattle, any housing suggestions??

Take care,
~GC

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I haven't been accepted to UWSOM (yet?--still in the pool) but I live in Seattle and have off and on for the past 10 years, so I can help out a bit. What are you looking for? Seattle is a great city--I was here when I was a bit younger gallavanting about and now I've got a husband and kids, so my gallavanting takes a different form--but I must say the city has been great for it all. Cheap it is not, though. Where are you coming from, what are you looking for, etc? Feel free to PM me if you'd like. Congrats to you!!!

I just got accepted as an Idaho applicant so I won't be in Seattle until my second year. I will be in Moscow/Pullman though. Anymore accepted Idaho applicants out there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Peter Griffen said:
I just got accepted as an Idaho applicant so I won't be in Seattle until my second year. I will be in Moscow/Pullman though. Anymore accepted Idaho applicants out there?

just found out last week that I was accepted as an Idaho applicant as well. life is good.

Peter Griffen, does B-town mean Boston or Boise?

B-town is Boise! I am so excited I got in! Congrats to you as well! Are you from Boise too? Are you going to see the campus on Monday?

Peter Griffen said:
B-town is Boise! I am so excited I got in! Congrats to you as well! Are you from Boise too? Are you going to see the campus on Monday?

I thought it might be Boise. great place.

I'm trying to figure out how to make it to Moscow on Monday, but I'm in Boston now and not quite sure if it's going to be possible. I'd like to make it mostly to meet fellow classmates.

I spoke w/ an E05 friend who is there now and has helped coordinate the day and said so far 10-12 people have already committed and 2-6 others could possibly show up as well. seems like a decent turnout.

I can finally officially post in this thread!

I'm not sure if I'll be sent to Pullman because I heard that they keep the OOS students in Seattle. Does anyone know if that's true?

Congrats. I'm honestly not sure about OOS applicants being sent to Pullman or not. Has anyone started looking at housing options in Moscow/Pullman or Seattle for that matter? I talked to a resident in an ER in Boise that was a WWAMI student and he said that most everyone lived in Moscow because it was a little bit cheaper. I really haven't had a chance to look yet.

hi everyone,

yeahhhh!!!!, finally I saw a thread for University of Washington 2010, I'm very excited to get accepted to the UW, I hope to stay in seattle because it's closer to my family, but I'm happy to go to WSU if chosen.

ABout housing arrangement, I heard that only undergraduate students stay in the dorms, so I think I will rent apartment or share with someone. How about you guys? I can't wait to meet all of you.

Hi aspiringdoctor!

I've been scoping out craigslist for apartments. Compared to the Bay Area, it all seems very reasonable! What are some good neighborhoods to check out?

titoincali said:
Hi aspiringdoctor!

I've been scoping out craigslist for apartments. Compared to the Bay Area, it all seems very reasonable! What are some good neighborhoods to check out?

Hi titoincali,

congratulation on your acceptance. i'm also looking at seattle craigslist right now. I don't know seattle that well, but I would prefer to stay around the University district. I still have 2 more months in school, so I don't have time to seriously look into finding an apartment, I will do that during the summer. besides, I don't know if I will stay in seattle or go to WSU. But I hope to see you at Seattle this coming fall.

FYI, I was on the waitlist (and therefore the financial aid email list) all summer last year and they forward all sorts of good housing deals--lots of places that have rented to med students in the past, are near campus, good grad student areas, etc.

Oh--and I wouldn't necessarily recommend the U. District as the best place to live. Capital hill, eastlake, ravenna, wedgewood, and laurelhurst have easy bus or bike access--especially places on the burke-gilman trail. Montlake is great too and really close. Just some ideas.... :)

olydoc2b said:
FYI, I was on the waitlist (and therefore the financial aid email list) all summer last year and they forward all sorts of good housing deals--lots of places that have rented to med students in the past, are near campus, good grad student areas, etc.

Oh--and I wouldn't necessarily recommend the U. District as the best place to live. Capital hill, eastlake, ravenna, wedgewood, and laurelhurst have easy bus or bike access--especially places on the burke-gilman trail. Montlake is great too and really close. Just some ideas.... :)

Thanks! Your advice one U District is exactly the advice I received from a friend at UDub just 1 hour ago! And thanks for the suggestions. I'm moving up to Seattle in early June so those emails from the financial aid office might be too late. I'm really excited.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey folks. .
Congrats everyone on UW acceptance. I'm an Idahoah and I just went for visitation day at Pullman - seems like some awesome people are going to be in UW 2010 class. Just wanted to post housing recommendations for UW Pullman/Idaho area. I currently live in Moscow, and I highly recommend living there over Pullman. It's got better restaurants, better grocery stores, a co-op, a downtown, a farmer's market - things that make rural areas awesome. Plus the houses and apartments have more personality.

Check out: http://asui.uidaho.edu/trading/index.cgi?mo=major;majorid=583
Cool places to live: Russell District, near East City Park, there are many more

Feel free to PM me with questions

Hope to possibly see some of you next year, depending on what we all decide.
And congrats again!

Hey everyone!

I just found out that I am on the waitlist for UW (Idaho list). Hopefully I'll get in and see ya'll in E-06!

I'm 50% on my way to Seattle. The other 50% is staying here in cali to attend UCSF. Still deciding between the two...

are you a washington resident?

sorry... my little reply thing didn't quote the message. I was directing my Q to chip77.

4176 said:
are you a washington resident?

No, I'm a California resident.

I'm edging over more and more to UCSF. However, I can't wait til the 3rd week of April to re-visit both schools and make my final decision.

chip77 said:
No, I'm a California resident.

I'm edging over more and more to UCSF. However, I can't wait til the 3rd week of April to re-visit both schools and make my final decision.
best of luck to ya! The out of state tuition at UW is huge, but the program is great! good luck with that decision!

4176 said:
best of luck to ya! The out of state tuition at UW is huge, but the program is great! good luck with that decision!

Thanks! Actually, the cost of attendance for UCSF isn't that far from UW's - 1st year UCSF $44000 vs. $50,300 for 1st year UW (cost of living in SF is just sooo expensive compared to Seattle). Plus, there's an option to file for Washington state residency later on, which would bring down the cost of attendance for UW much further.

Thus, money really isn't the deciding factor at this point. I just wish I can make that final decision soon...

Does anyone know if there is a second look weekend for the seattle campus of the UWSOM? I had heard that there is one specifically for under-represented minorities but no general one. I would love to see the ins and outs of the school again and meet some of my future classmates as well.

bside said:
Does anyone know if there is a second look weekend for the seattle campus of the UWSOM? I had heard that there is one specifically for under-represented minorities but no general one. I would love to see the ins and outs of the school again and meet some of my future classmates as well.

I was told that if you had responded back with a "FIRM" acceptance, then you wouldn't get invited back for second look/preview days (hence the "firm" decision). However, if you were still unsure (and replied with a "TENTATIVE" acceptance), then you would get invited back. I think it's a bit strange, but so be it.

Hey everybody, if you haven't heard of me yet, I'm an accepted Washington resident who is going to Pullman/Moscow next year. For anyone else still asking, I checked out the orientation in Pullman and did get to look at housing. I hear from pretty much all the M1's that Moscow is a better place to live in. In fact, I've already found a place in Moscow owned by a couple docs. It's called the co-ed WWAMI house and is a huge 5-bedroom 3-bathroom in a residential area. PM me if you want to know more about it. So far I'm the only person living there... once I drop off this lease agreement in the mailbox. Btw there's a website that has tons of info from current students regarding housing:

http://www.wsu.edu/~wwami/Day_in_the_life/default.htm

Ahh ineed life is pretty sweet right now. I recently got accepted!!! Let the next 4 years of our lives be awesome!!!!

I hear we need to be CPR certified again?

It's so exciting to find this thread! I just got accepted yesterday, and it still hasn't sunk in. I'm OOS, so I'll be in Seattle in the fall. Tito, I live in SF too! Anyone else OOS?

So we're all going to be classmates, eh? I just got accepted yesterday, and I'm still just floating on air. I look forward to meeting you all in person, but in the meantime, I can't seem to find when we start in the fall (I haven't gotten a letter yet--just phone communication). I need to let my employer know; can anyone help me out?

According the to letter I received in January, the tentative orientation dates are:

WY: 8/5
AK: 8/19-8/22
MT: TBD
ID/WA Pullman: 8/10-8/12
WA Seattle: 8/28-9/1

I'm sure you'll all be getting this info in your acceptance packages soon as well. Congrats!

Beaner81 said:
It's so exciting to find this thread! I just got accepted yesterday, and it still hasn't sunk in. I'm OOS, so I'll be in Seattle in the fall. Tito, I live in SF too! Anyone else OOS?

Congrats, Beaner! I'm coming from the Bay Area too. :thumbup:

Beaner81 said:

Hey Beaner81, Congrats! There are actually a few people on this website from the Bay Area that are accepted at UW. They must really like Bay Area people so few OOS and so far all those OOS I've heard about are from this area!!

Are you going to the 2nd look weekend?

Congrats everyone! :D :D
I hope to meet all of you in good time. Does anyone know if our acceptance package tells us where we will be in the fall(either Pullman or Seattle)? Have they already decided who is going there or will they pick more people later on? I remember checking on my application that I'd be willing to go if chosen, but I'd much rather remain in Seattle if possible.

Beaner81 said:

I'm an OOS reppin the Bay Area who got accepted too! Congrats :)

homeostatician said:
Congrats everyone! :D :D
I hope to meet all of you in good time. Does anyone know if our acceptance package tells us where we will be in the fall(either Pullman or Seattle)? Have they already decided who is going there or will they pick more people later on? I remember checking on my application that I'd be willing to go if chosen, but I'd much rather remain in Seattle if possible.

You get to indicate your preference again on the acceptance reply form. If they can't fill all the Pullman spots with volunteers, I believe they will have a lottery in early may.

Congrats everyone on getting accepted! It's very exciting.

I completely understand the "not wanting to be in Pullman" sentiment, but it's not that bad. I'm mostly a bay area girl who has somehow wound up on the Palouse for the last 2 years (I sometimes feel like Dorthy from the Wizard of Oz) and, while I am very excited to get back to life on the coast, I'm actually looking forward to spending my first year here. The current first year WSU/UI WAMMI class have great things to say about their experience. Small class size and many hours of work breed that good old-fashioned bonding through suffering. ;)

All this to say. . come here! Actually, more to say, I live in Moscow now and, if anyone has any questions about what it's like/where to live/how bad it really is, I'll gladly answer them. Just post here or PM me.

Congrats again everyone! I'm excited to meet everyone either this year or next.

Squid said:

I completely understand the "not wanting to be in Pullman" sentiment, but it's not that bad. I'm mostly a bay area girl who has somehow wound up on the Palouse for the last 2 years (I sometimes feel like Dorthy from the Wizard of Oz) and, while I am very excited to get back to life on the coast, I'm actually looking forward to spending my first year here. The current first year WSU/UI WAMMI class have great things to say about their experience. Small class size and many hours of work breed that good old-fashioned bonding through suffering. ;)

All this to say. . come here! Actually, more to say, I live in Moscow now and, if anyone has any questions about what it's like/where to live/how bad it really is, I'll gladly answer them. Just post here or PM me.

Squid,

I'm so glad you came to the Pullman orientation and that I got to meet you!! You seem like you would make an awesome classmate. So I'm hoping you got a more positive vibe that day than you did on your interview day... seems like you're a little more excited than before about staying in Idaho :D . So yeah I'm glad I was able to play a part in talking you into coming. I'm from the city and the area was like nothing I've ever seen before... I'm sure it will be a nice change of pace for me. Well, anyways, I hope things work out for you and that you end up deciding on the right school... UW!! :D

i'm another out of stater who's in. not from the bay though. from Puerto Rico originally and somehow ended up in Texas since May... :)

looking forward to meeting you all soon!

i'm still in the excited phase (just found out today at work so haven't quite celebrated yet)!

Hey everyone-

I'm an MS1 up in Seattle right now, and I LOVE the UW! It's a really great school, and everyone here will go way out of their way to help you with whatever you need. I just wanted to let you all know to PM me if you have any questions at all...

:D

Squid said:

I'm pretty excited about going to the Pullman site--I'll probably volunteer, unless someone convinces me otherwise. I haven't talked to a single person who didn't love the WWAMI-land experience. And there are other benies to living on the east side of the state--cheap rent, reduced chance of being crushed by a Starbucks franchise falling from the sky, cheap rent, the list goes on and on...Plus, the snow in the Selkirks is better than Cascade cement.

Hey all, I'm excited to be able to post in this thread! I'm from Seattle and will hopefully stay in Seattle next year. If anyone needs any info about the Seattle area, feel free to ask! I would recommend living in the Montlake area. It is close to the medical center/health sciences building, where the med. school is. I currently live on Eastlake which is a nice area (closer to downtown Seattle), but it's farther from the medical center.

Does anyone know when we need to send in a deposit?????

Peter Griffen said:

Hey.... I found this on the UW Website. I think this is from last years orientation thingy....

UW 2005 Orientation

Click that URL to see a potential preview of coming attractions! :clap: :love:

Peter Griffen said:
I talked to someone in the admissions office the other day and she said that there is no deposit at this point, which is wierd but nice!
Also, is anyone going to the OOS second look weekend? I can't decide if I want to go...I mean, I'd LOVE to go and meet people, but I can't really afford any more time off from work. Thoughts?

Beaner81 said:
I talked to someone in the admissions office the other day and she said that there is no deposit at this point, which is wierd but nice!
Also, is anyone going to the OOS second look weekend? I can't decide if I want to go...I mean, I'd LOVE to go and meet people, but I can't really afford any more time off from work. Thoughts?

I'm definitely going to the OOS second look weekend. (I am, however, going to have to miss the Saturday activities due to UCSF's Accepted Students Weekend.) I think it'll be a great opportunity to meet a lot of new people - including us other OOS'ers! To top it off, it's an all expenses paid trip, so it's hard to resist.

George_Clooney said:
Hey All: I recently found out I was accepted to UW and I am can't wait to meet my future classmates!! Anyone else headed to Seattle in the Fall?
If anyone is already living in Seattle, any housing suggestions??

Take care,
~GC

I will be at the Pullman site next year. See you in Seattle in year 2!

Rach

chip77 said:
I'm definitely going to the OOS second look weekend. (I am, however, going to have to miss the Saturday activities due to UCSF's Accepted Students Weekend.) I think it'll be a great opportunity to meet a lot of new people - including us other OOS'ers! To top it off, it's an all expenses paid trip, so it's hard to resist.

I agree! It sounds awesome. Are you trying to decide between UCSF and UW?

chip77 said:

Hey! I just got my flight confirmation from UW and I'm heading up there eve of 19th. When are you going to fly up?

titoincali said:
Hey! I just got my flight confirmation from UW and I'm heading up there eve of 19th. When are you going to fly up?

If I go, it will be the morning of the 20th out of SFO.